Men's Health Community
Does folliculitis always have a hair in the center?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

The area in question is on the side of my shaft, where there's two bumps of folliculitis with a hair directly coming out of each. There is a bump near these, offset a little bit, and it looks the same as the other ones that I know for sure are folliculitis just without a hair protruding.  It's been about a month since I shaved the area.

No pain or irritation until I decided to pinch it off between my thumbnails. (I know..)
It was not blister-like, more like under the skin, very small.
Not clustered, just a few spots here and there a few mm apart, no redness or rash.
I think a small amount of sebum/liquid came out, but now the area is open & healing like a popped zit.
There seems to be a tiny black dot in the center, which I'm thinking could be a hair beginning to grow out. I can't tell.

In any case though, is it possible for a bump of folliculitis to appear NEXT TO, but not directly ON a follicle?