Men's Health Community
Drinking Alcohol while on Antibiotics - How dangerous?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

I had no idea where to post this, so I'm sorry if i picked the wrong forum.

I'm currently taking 4 Flucloxacillin (500mg) per day and was wondering if it would be dangerous to drink lager while on them.

I was thinking of not taking them on the Saturday night and Sunday morning so I can have a day out with the lads on Sunday.

Anyone any ideas? Thanks
I am not familiar with this drug, but I know it is a type of penicillin.  This drug absorbs in the GI track killing bacteria that causes a wide variety of infections by binding to the cell wall and killing the cell.  All penicillin drugs may bind with the alcohol molecule in the stomach or intestines and be carried out without absorbing into the body.  You will be taking the drug, but the body can't use it, so it's like not taking anything and you get worse.  Another thing that happens is that penicillin in the stomach reduces acid production and the drug, along with the alcohol can throw off your acid balance which can be life threatening. If you continue to drink alcohol with the antibiotic, the combination may cause liver or kidney problems. Antibiotics need to be taken on time until the medications is finished. Starting and stopping medications of this type confuse the body and it may begin to be immune to the treatment and you will need stronger meds later.  Best to go out and drink non-alcoholic drinks for the weekend and let the meds do it's thing.  There are lots of weekend left to booze it up.  Take this one off for your health.

The main things is to not get so drunk you forget to take the medication; otherwise no harm is likely.  If you are an alcoholic or get blind drunk, you are more susceptible to certain infections and your immune system might not fight your current infection as strongly as normal.  However, it isn't true that alcohol binds to antibiotics and prevents their absorption.

HHH, MD
Hi,Flucloxacillin is a narrow spectrum beta-lactam antibiotic.It is use to treat infections that are resistant to most penicillins.Drinking can reduce the strenght of the drug ,try to avoid while taking drug!
Hi, i am also taking 4 Flucloxacillin (500mg) per day and was wondering the same question....CAN I DRINK ALCOHOL??? The answer is YES...i just went to my local pharmacy with the box and the lady said i can drink. hope that helps.
Hi,so is it ok to drink when taking penicilin and flucloxacillin?i have to take 4 flucloxacillin (500mg) and 16 penicillin (250mg) a day, thanks to an insect bite!!
Can I drink alcohol if I am prescribed antibiotics?

It is a common misconception that alcohol should be strictly avoided by people who are taking a course of antibiotics. For certain antibiotics this is the case, for example consuming alcohol while taking a course of metronidazole can cause unpleasant reactions and should be avoided. However, it is safe to drink alcohol while taking a course of flucloxacillin or erythromycin.

Provided by the following website  http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/skin_hair/eczema_antimicrobials_003763.htm
hi does anyone know what is the side affect of drinking alcohol while on the antibiotic septrin because my stomach has felt real weird when i wake up in the morning lately but that could just be due to the fact that i have a lung infection but imnot sure ??
If you are taking Flucloxacillin Capsules for a skin infection, impetigo etc.....its perfectly fine to drink alcohol while taking these tablets.  Iam due to go on holiday on sunday and was concerned that i would'nt be able to to drink for most of the week.  So now i know i can drink, i just hope these tablets kick in quick and clear up this awful skin infection!