Men's Health Community
Embarrassing erections during physical exam?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

Is this normal? During the last two or three physical exams, I  developed an erection as the doctor examined my testicles?  I'm rather self-consious about it and dread going to the doctor for an annual exam in fear that it is not normal or happens again.   Thoughts?
Tags: Health

He is a trained medical expert,if you have any concerns ask,you may be super sensitive in that area, remember the only stupid question is the one not asked,good luck.
t.m.i. but well put !         l.e.
Is the doctor male or female?

I would guess that happens all the time... it is one of my greatest fears too.  Especially when I went to get a cystoscopy recently. (where they stick a camera up your urethra to check things out). The doc was an old overweight guy, so I didn't think I would have a problem.  But then he called his young attractive female assistant to come in a prep me, and I knew I was in trouble (really, why would they do that to a guy?)  I had to just look at the ceiling and try to ignore her and even went as far as trying to focus on things like family tragedies and stuff to try not to get aroused.  It really wasn't easy when she grabbed my manhood in her fist and squirted gel inside it.  Then the doc came in to perform the procedure and I thought I was in the clear since she would be leaving.  But nope, she stayed and watched and helped out with the whole thing.  I swear I was hanging on the verge of embarassing myself for half an hour solid.  My wife is the only one who has even seen that part of me, much less handled it!

But by concentrating on unpleasant ordeals in my life, I was able to make it, though I will not be going back there next time I get a cystoscopy.  Actually, I know a couple people who have medical training, and it apparently is rather common.  They train them to just give you time if you need it.  So I guess my advice is to do your best to transport your mind to a particularly unarousing moment, and if that doesn't work, don't worry; they are trained professionals and it is nothing new to them.
i like it, i like it !!!                   l.e.
That's the very reason why I have a female doctor (I'm male).  If anyone is going to be giving me an exam down there, then I might as well make it worth her while.  If I happen to get an erection, then that's just a bonus for her.

But honestly, just don't let it bother you.  Doctors have seen it all.  Just relax.
Hi i get erections all the time especially around girls so what should i do? I always like to imagine myself with an old doctor but when the nurse comes in and takes a look at my penis i get hard and she just smiles. then i actually start having thoughts of ******* her in the ***** and sucking on her ****
Ive been in exam and procedure situations that its next to impossible not to become erect, in-fact, on evaluation for ED with caverject I was more forced to become erect. Yes, its really embarrassing, but its just part of the male system, if the urologist couldnt handle it they wouldn't be in the biz...
My problem is not so much getting an erection, but my problem is everytime I have a phisical exam I start leaking the clear liquid like when you about to have sex. When I am standing there, it just starts leaking out.This is just as embarassing as an erection!  Is this common?
It's common in some men. Doctors have seen it all, nothing you do is going to raise an eyebrow with a qualified and professional medical staff working with you.
Liquid on glans (glands) is necessary to lubricate the penis to facilitate to penetrate into vagina.this is  normal for  male and female to wet their genitals.Not oozing of liquid is abnormal. so your normal and don't worry.
I don't mind the leaking or the oozing when I am about to have sex or when I am masturbating, it's just embarassing to be doing it while I am standing naked in frount of the doctor. It seems that just being naked in front of anyone else besides my wife gets the liquid flowing! I will be having my yearly physical exam next week and can't wait to see what happens.
Does anyone else have this problem?
It happens to me every time I go to the doctor for an exam. I am required to have yearly physicals with the company I work for. The doctor makes me stay naked during the whole exam. Is that normal? He also spends a lot of time examening my penis, testicles, and looking through my pubic hair. I get erections easily anyway and produce precum easily too. I have asked for another doctor but they say he is the only one that can do the physical.

It's just so embarrassing standing their with an erection with fluid dripping out of my penis. Last year was the worst when he was sqeezing my penis looking for "nodules" I accidently ejaculated on the doctors hands. I really wish I could go to another doctor. Is this normal?
Hello. maybe I can shed a little light on the situation. Obviously getting an erection during any physical exam of the genitals can be embarrasing for the patient. I can assue you 100% that this is perfectly normal. The main reason for getting such is an erection is the sensation of your genitals being touched. This is not related to any sexual thoughts or desires but a natural bodily reaction which you have no control over. Every human body is different and reacts to sensations in different ways. Some men are extermley sensitive to bodily touches, others are not. As mentioned in many other articles, the doctor(s) are fully aware of this and totaly understand when this sort of thing happens. I will be honest, it has happened to me before! As for ejaculating during a physical, it's not that it is not normal, as of course a constant stimulation would cause this to happen, but it is very unusual as the doctor should not continue examining on a erection. I hope this helps any guys out there who are worried. I too was in the same boat once!!
Every man has two heads, one above his shoulders and one below his navel, he can  pretty well control the one above his shoulders. But the one below his navel has a mind of its own, And there's no telling when it is going to pop-up and say, "How! do you do"? Just enjoy them, and be glad that it's stil working.

Toldman
Different doctors adhere to different protocols when conducting annual physical exams. Unlike other doctors who have examined me, my present doctor's practice is similar to your doctor's in that I am naked throughout the entire exam. I don't think this is typical, but it's not unheard of.  He is very thorough in all aspects, including his examination of my genitals. I always get an erection and he just tells me that all my male parts are in good working order.  It does not embarrass me, and he is comfortable about it. If it embarrasses you, you might consider talking to your doctor about it. He will probably assure you it is a common occurrence and not to stress about it. Having a penis that is sensitive to stimulation is not bad thing -- it means your healthy. Be glad of it; some men are not as fortunate.            
BY the way it is quite common, if there is no erections then there might be of ED, being a doctor myself, I often find my patients quite embarrassed, listen to me fellows, being a man, and having an erections in front of a male doctor, no matter what age it is, is quite normal, we are trained with it, and it is normal for us, and we expect that, and if we don't see it,  then we suspect a prob, by the way, we do realize if u r trying hard to hide it, so my point is just relax. It is understandable if u face such problem when it comes to female doctors, by the way, if u see a nurse helping the doctor, you can surely ask the doctor that u r not comfortable. Although doctors like us in India, and also in our neighboring China, we  always train male nurses for this purpose.  I m a sure you can request your doctor such.
It is for this expressed purpose nervousness, embarrassment, fear etc. is why I started Metro Medical Direct. It's a web-based primary care medical house calls practice in NYC.
Patient order online and the Nurse Practitioner (male) comes to your home, office or hotel. The goal is take the hassles out of going to the doctor and to put the patient at ease since the whole process occurs on their own turf.
Right now it's only in NYC, but there are expansion plans.
MetroMedicalDirect.com
Guys never have to explain their problem to a secretary.
Its just normal,if its really embrassing you then take a ketoconazole injection
this will prevent erection for a while.
A related discussion, i am only 13 why does this happen to me was started.
A related discussion, becoming erect when doctor exams you aahhhh! was started.
A related discussion, erections was started.
A related discussion, is oral sex relatively safe was started.
A related discussion, Erection During Medical Exam was started.
A related discussion, erections at doctors was started.
I just had my cystoscopy today.  I popped wood when the hot, young assistant prepped me.  She grasped me in her hand and placed the drapes around my package.  I started to get hard, then she grasped me in her hand, and used three swabs on the head...major wood.  She was very professional but it was hot to look down and see my hard penis in her hand.
Not embarrassing, just slightly uncomfortable, but she was great, talking to me the entire time, she does this all day long.  By the time the doctor came in I was soft again, but she stayed and assisted him with the exam.  After, she told me I did great and she cleaned me up and I became erect again.  
Nothing to it, she was very professional.
I also have a female doctor.  She likes to have me strip to just the gown for exams and I always become erect when she checks me for hernia.  It happens, she just handles it and then moves on.
A related discussion, exam erection exam comfort was started.