Erection during rectal exam
During my last regular physical I got an erection.  I made it ok when the doctor examined my foreskin, penis and testicles and did the cough test.  However when he did the rectal exam I got hard.  I was very embarassed and didn't say anything.  He didn't say anything either even though he told me to turn over and he retracted my foreskin again.  I'm worried about this happening again.  Is this a normal reaction and are doctors told this will happen?  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks
I had to chuckle a bit at that one. Seriously though, just try to think of something that is very unattractive or gross to you, that might help.

I am sure it happens often and you probably arent the first person that did it.
Dont worry too much about it. Stimulation of the prostate gland can cause sexual arousal due to the high number of nerve endings in the area and the proximity to the groin area. Doctors are aware of this fact and would not think anything of it.

Also not too mention that if you did not become erect during the exam of your penis and testicles, but only during the rectal exam this would be consistant with stimulation of the prostate and not anything homosexual.

Hope this helps.
Don't worry about that.
He was probably hot for you, and he was surely as embarassed as you were ;)
Well I had my physical and yes it happened again.  I did get the courage to ask the doctor if this happens to anyone else and he said yes it happens often and that he almost expects it.  It is no big deal and just a normal reaction.  
BY the way it is quite common, if there is no erections then there might be of ED, being a doctor myself, I often find my patients quite embarrassed, listen to me fellows, being a man, and having an erections in front of a male doctor, no matter what age it is, is quite normal, we are trained with it, and it is normal for us, and we expect that, and if we don't see it,  then we suspect a prob, by the way, we do realize if u r trying hard to hide it, so my point is just relax. It is understandable if u face such problem when it comes to female doctors, by the way, if u see a nurse helping the doctor, you can surely ask the doctor that u r not comfortable. Although doctors like us in India, and also in our neighboring China, we  always train male nurses for this purpose.  I m a sure you can request your doctor such.
A related discussion, is it normal to have an erection during a physical was started.
Barb135 commented on SOY
57 mins ago
senseanonymous  commented on SOY
gymdandee commented on SOY
Exercise Tracker
Exercise is part of a healthy lifestyle