Men's Health Community
Erection during rectal exam
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Erection during rectal exam

During my last regular physical I got an erection.  I made it ok when the doctor examined my foreskin, penis and testicles and did the cough test.  However when he did the rectal exam I got hard.  I was very embarassed and didn't say anything.  He didn't say anything either even though he told me to turn over and he retracted my foreskin again.  I'm worried about this happening again.  Is this a normal reaction and are doctors told this will happen?  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks
Related Discussions
5 Comments
Blank
I had to chuckle a bit at that one. Seriously though, just try to think of something that is very unattractive or gross to you, that might help.

I am sure it happens often and you probably arent the first person that did it.
Blank
Dont worry too much about it. Stimulation of the prostate gland can cause sexual arousal due to the high number of nerve endings in the area and the proximity to the groin area. Doctors are aware of this fact and would not think anything of it.

Also not too mention that if you did not become erect during the exam of your penis and testicles, but only during the rectal exam this would be consistant with stimulation of the prostate and not anything homosexual.

Hope this helps.
Blank
Don't worry about that.
He was probably hot for you, and he was surely as embarassed as you were ;)
Blank
Well I had my physical and yes it happened again.  I did get the courage to ask the doctor if this happens to anyone else and he said yes it happens often and that he almost expects it.  It is no big deal and just a normal reaction.  
Blank
1011303_tn?1250797822
BY the way it is quite common, if there is no erections then there might be of ED, being a doctor myself, I often find my patients quite embarrassed, listen to me fellows, being a man, and having an erections in front of a male doctor, no matter what age it is, is quite normal, we are trained with it, and it is normal for us, and we expect that, and if we don't see it,  then we suspect a prob, by the way, we do realize if u r trying hard to hide it, so my point is just relax. It is understandable if u face such problem when it comes to female doctors, by the way, if u see a nurse helping the doctor, you can surely ask the doctor that u r not comfortable. Although doctors like us in India, and also in our neighboring China, we  always train male nurses for this purpose.  I m a sure you can request your doctor such.
Blank
A related discussion, is it normal to have an erection during a physical was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Men's Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank