Men's Health Community
Hormone Imbalance Affecting Development in Early Puberty

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

I've been wondering if whether or not as a younger child in early puberty I had a little bit of a hormonal imbalance. I seem to have wider hips than most males and bonafide breast nub development. I was wondering if this is a concern for me presently because I was thinking of getting cosmetic gynecomastia-correcting surgery at some point, but I don't want any reason for my body to grow them back. I have pictures that I will gladly PM. Thank you!
   To be sure, you need to consult an Endocrinologist and get tested. If you are generally healthy and the gynecomastia is not all that pronounced, you need not have to worry. If you need to test, a blood test for total testosterone and estrogen will generally indicate if you have any problem. You may also Google for ' klinefelter's syndrome ' and check if you have  those symptoms. How did you know that you had hormone imbalance during puberty?
Solace
   Normally gynecomastia during puberty is common and will get corrected of its own without any intervention. How old are you now and how is your present hormone levels?, if they are ok, you may not have to worry.
Solace
I'm 21 now, 22 in September of this year, and I am currently not sure of my hormone levels. Is there a simple test that I can get done to measure this? I am currently uninsured. Thank you!
Solace
Thank you for all your help! Klinefelter's was my first guess, but my mom told me that because she was an older mother she had an amniotic test done that came up clean for genetic abnormalities, so I'm ruling that out. During puberty I am suspecting because I was developing breasts and hips long before I eventually grew to a height of 6'0", developed a deep voice, and a near-full facial hair pattern along with other body hair. I was also overweight during puberty, and I have read about fat's effect on bodily levels of estrogen. I lost weight to a low of 190lbs and am now currently hovering around 205 after a high of 220 post-bulking at the gym. Endocrinologist will now be my first step once I have coverage. Thank you very much!
    Your story is atypical of obese boys going through pubertal development, initial testosterone gets converted to estrogen in the fat tissues and as the testosterone level picks up normal manly features develop. So, as such I do not think you have any reason to worry. Try to reduce your fat, take balanced food and do moderate exercise and over a few years, the gynecomastia should get subsided of its own. In any case, do not think of surgery unless you think it is essential, as the breast is a very sensitive nerve center of our body and should anything go wrong with the operation, it will do more harm than good.
Solace