Men's Health Community
Is a month too long to wait for prostate cancer removal?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is a month too long to wait for prostate cancer removal?

Someone I know has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer, which has not metastasized.  His surgery is in a month.  Is this too long to wait?  Shouldn't it be removed asap before it spreads, or is it safe to wait this long?  Thanks.  
Related Discussions
4 Comments
Blank
Go to the  http://www.mrisprostatecancercenter.com/  website.  The urologist who has the site has a clinic in Sarasota and has done some pretty interesting research on prostate cancer. There is the theory that surgery may be a "rush" to judgement.  It's worth looking at and researching.  Best of luck in whatever decision your friend makes.  Godspeed.
Blank
79258_tn?1190634010
I didn't look at the site the other poster mentioned, but I will say that if he hasn't gotten a second opinion, he should. Prostate removal is a big deal, and can have some pretty unfortunate side effects--namely incontinence and ED. There may be better, less invasive alternatives, and I think he should really take this time to check them out. There are seeds, "cyberknife" radiation, etc...

As for timing, unless he's very young prostate cancer tends to be very slow growing.
Blank
You are so right.  Prostate cancer surgery is a big ordeal with lots of downsides(from what I've read). It appears that most of the treatments are pretty severe as far as side effects go and the last I read, the medical community is not in agreement with when treatment is necessary since most prostate cancers are very slow growing.  

Dr. Wheeler's research is intriguing because it appears efficacious and has been accepted by the medical community.  Since most of us will get it, if we live long enough, a little research is incumbent on every male.  
Blank
At age 50 years, diagnosed with a Gleason at a count of 7, but with no spread of cancer outside the prostate, should immediate surgery take place within a six month period after diagnosed with a second opinion?
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Men's Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank