Men's Health Community
Locker Room Erection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

Locker Room Erection

Does anyone else experience uncontrollable and unwanted erections in the locker room/showers at the gym? Or at the doctors getting a physical? Quite embarassing.....Any help?
Yep, and at the most inconvenient times. I've tried NOT thinking about anything sexual and it still doesn't help.
You men and your funny equipment.  It's like it has a mind of it's own.
*guys perspective*   I get a hard-on at spontaneous moments of the day.  Am I horny?  No.  Am I yearning for sex?  It's rather normal if you ask me, and it's reassuring I get a hard-on.  It can be both awkward and annoying have a hard-on at certain times of the day or in certain situations, but enjoy it while it lasts bro because it ain't gonna be up when you're 89. haha.
Thanks Everyone! I feel a little better now about this.

oceans3 - What you said makes sense and great female locker room analogy btw. I wish "being cold" was the case with men, and if it was, it's supposed to do the opposite.....
I'm guessing that you're still young (20's).  Alot of what you're experincing is your penis just doing what it does naturally when it's free.  What you didn't indicate is whether or not you get uncontrollable erections any other time when your naked outside of the gym.  You probably don't think about it because at the gym you're feeling embarrassed.  Is this a school gym where you see the same guys...or is it public facility?  If it's public where you don't know anyone, then don't let it bother you.  If it's at a school gym or somewhere where your friends are, then you may want to limit your exposure because they may perceive that your aroused by looking at men (I'm assuming you're straight).

If you're really desperate to train that guy down there, then here's a few things to try.

1. Go to a nude beach or resort to get yourself used to being nude in public.
2. Walk around the house naked whenever you can.
3. Wear boxers instead of briefs to give him room to move around.
4. This is a bit out there, but if you masturbate in the bathroom before going into the public changing area, you should be able to stay flaccid long enough to take a shower and get dressed.

With age you should be able to get that guy to settle down when he's not going to get some action.  I just turned 40 and I have to think about it for a while before I get erect enough to raise any attention.

Hope that helps,  but just remember.....you're normal.
Try and think of the most disgusting thing; if you are a young guy think of your parents having sex.
sunseeker -

Sorry about that, I'm 40 myself. No, it's not just the locker room at the gym, it's anywhere and everywhere, at the doctor's office, etc. And yes, I am straight.
1. I would be hard the entire time
2. I would be hard the entire time
3. I already do
4. This I'll try
I wish I could get that little guy to settle down, but the more I think about it, the quicker it happens (no matter what I think about, if I'm naked, he's at attention).

This helps some.....Thanks!

sunseeker - are you a nudist or have you been to a nudist place before? I am asking because I was thinking about giving this a try and was wondering if the nudist people at these nudist places were bothered or offended by someone that walks around the entire time with a hard-on?
surprised you are 40 and have spontaneous erections still like an adolescent.  I hope to have this problem when I'm 40! And if you find yourself in an emergency erection you could try squeezing firmly on the head/shaft of your penis, enough to cause a slight pain which should distract your arousal and subside the erection
To mcp7: Are we related? No.s 1,2,3 wouldn't work for me like it doesn't work for you. No. 4 wouldn't last long enough.  The only difference is, I am 58 but making progress. In high school it was a nightmare. During my twenties I couldn't walk around in my underwear. I never could get a good look my flaced penis. I would loose the draw-if I tried as an instanteous thought-it would up before I had my pants off. I am now able to shower at home without an erection as long as no-one walks in the bathroom.
I would like to take a more leisurely shower at the gym and not to have to worry-now it means a really fast shower only after being at a point of exhaustion from a workout or a swim. I have experienced some embarasssing moments.
I have been trying  over the years to normalize this. I have gone to my previous family doctor & 2 phycotherapists for treatment.
In good ways it has never let me or my wife down after thirty years of marriage,lack of sleep,raising kids,treatment for depression and a vasectemy, you name it. I have been on anti-depressants (for bipolar) for over ten years-I thought that would do it. My family doctor smiled & said many would wish my problem. I know my wife thinks I am amazing. I don't walk around in the nude-my wife doesn't know I have this problem because I keep this expression for an appropriate time for her,which is at any time.
Part of this is body image. I have been extremely self conscious because I don't have a lot to show down there, but on the other hand I have a normal size erection and in my thirties a fertility doctor called me Super Stud when my semen was tested (meaning I have reasons not to feel inferior). As I get older maybe I shouldn't even wish this to go away.
Thanks to everyone for participating in this dialoque. We all have differences and we are not the only ones to have similar challenges. I never thought of this as being someone's elses concern.
I'm learning that we may still be in the Victorian Age when it comes to regulations about the way males may appear naked in places like health clubs, beaches and campgrounds where nudity is permitted.  Within my circle of friends and experiences, I found out there are real scenarios that aren't yet supported by management at some of these establishments.  For example, it seems that some men's genitalia appear differently naturally depending on whether the body is cold and/or the mind is anxious or preoccupied with pressing thoughts as opposed to the body being warm and relaxed/the mind is not preoccupied with pressing thoughts.  Some guys happen to have hair-trigger apparati that spring to attention in seconds or minutes from a warm shower, steam or whirlpool bath, without touching himself.  Some guys may not be in a relationship and may be busy day and night with work and classes, watching TV, walking the dog, etc.,  and not have time to masturbate even once per week.  Then one day when he finally gets a few minutes to go to a gym locker and get naked, the apparatus spring up instantly just from the act of being able to unwind by removing his clothing for a few minutes.  Or he just awoke from a nap.  Or the guy showering across the room is just too hot to control oneself.  So - given scenarios like these, in a gym or school locker room or at a campground where nudity is permitted, is there ever a time when it is appropriate for a fellow patron to make a remark about another patron's hanging position either confrontationally to that person or to management?  I have discovered that some establishments do think so.  Now the question is, does that establishment have the right to remove a person from this facility on that basis?  Does a male have any legal ground to stand on in his defense?  Doesn't genitalia fall under the category of a body part, like a fat ***, excessively hairy back, tattoos or long hair?  And if the shape of the genitalia is their concern, with something so incremental as an erection, who decides when that actually occurs?  I am beginning to research these questions with the help of reps from the Human Rights Act.  It could be that if these establishments are in business to the general public, in the same way Denny's Restaurants got in trouble for refusing to serve black patrons, they could be subject to regulations that protect one's gender - in this case, being male. Or if popping wood under these scenarios is statistically in the minority, then it could be blamed on a medical condition, or it could be blamed on just being youthful.  I have consulted with biology books that confirm that erections can happen because of this reason or because of that reason, or even if the reason is "just because" (no reason).  I believe some medical conditions are protected under the Human Rights Act.

The establishment can simply say, if it happens, wear a towel.  And some places do have signs requiring wearing of suits or towels in certain areas of their locker rooms including steam rooms, whirlpools, wall-mounted air blowers and TV lounges.  Ok, but what if a guy wants to shower, or change clothes?  The towel has to come off and he might be seen.  (Gasp).  I maintain that males need to be protected against management that support patrons' claims of being offended.  The patrons have a right to be offended and a right to complain - but I feel the management needs to tell them to mind their own business and look the other way, until it comes down to a hygienic issue, like urinating, spitting or ejaculating on the locker room floor.  I have been grossed out by guys who blow their snot into the sinks, but haven't felt like complaining to management about it.  Does any of this make sense?  How would you approach management at a YMCA or health club in which someone reported your erection and now management wants to revoke your membership?  Where is the line between applying soap to one's genitals for washing, and doing something wrong?  This is a real life case that is currently going on from incidents at more than one gym or campground.  Thanks for your response.

wow, Glad to read what you write!
i feel it it male humans right to have an erection! it's a normal male function , "IF' i had an erection! and some one complained about it! I'd ask The complainer, WHAT were you Doing Staring and my Penis....and turn the complaint around about them.

it's all to ridicules, Guy's get boners, here and there for intentional and UN-intentional reasons. it's just a fact of life, , actually i Think the best defense if you had an erection in a Gym or Camp ground shower, and it was clearly noticed, and a look of  offense was noticed, I would acknowledge it ALSO and with a light laugh, say.....The little Guy Has a mind of his own....Go Figuer.......and leave it at that 99% of people would feel the pressure of the situation released, and since it was acknowledged by the one with the WOOD ,,,,,all would be well....Trust me !  
extrem2000, i only got one thing to say to that: amen!
Yeah, really... this locker room talk which infests people's imaginations seems really silly sometimes.  If they are looking at you, judging you, measuring you up, or simply mocking you cause you got a little stiff, tell 'em where they can shove it.  I mean what kind of an immature person goes around looking at other people in locker rooms anyways?  Multo Stupido, that's who.  They're the ones who must be a little insecure, immature, and deserve to be banned from adult places.  And the idea that someone would want to revoke your membership for getting an accidental stiffy!  Absurd to the enth degree... at least they ain't peeing in the showers like George Costanza... now THERE's a reason to get banned!
i get them all the time, not easy to get over, i am nearly 30 and masturbate 2 to 4 times a day, i love it, feels great. maybe i am just not getting enough sex...

it takes bugger all for me to get hard..

i remember when i was 16 and in the gym, i took my first naked shower, never with anyone cos i am quite small, but was in an open shower with no one and actually found it arrousing, took me a couple of months to get use to it, now i can shower with other guys (i hide in a corner and make sure they dont see me) but i don't get hard, i just prefer to shower after sports. i know guys who are as small as me and won't shower but i have learnt to hide pretty well, but at least no erections...

i do get worried though when getting examined, i have had to get my weener out 4 times now for a doctor, and i hate it....i totally feel embarresed and ashamed at my size but more scared of the erection....

i posted this the other day if people get hard during an examination... has it happened to anyone? what did the doctor do?
Yes, I get hard every time I go in for an examination. It started when I was very little and has never stopped. I also get hard in the gym locker room. The examination thing is no big deal though. I got to the point that if I need to drop my pants for a doctor I just give him a "warning" first by letting him know that I get hard if the wind blows. I have to admit though, for some reason something about a doctor's exam is really stimulating to me, not sure why. I had gone in for a prostate exam once and was taken by surprise to find out the pleasure that a man can experience by a brief prostate massage. The doctor explained to me exactly what was taking place but before he could even finish the exam I had ejaculated all over the table I had been bent over. The doctor simply smiled and let me know it wasn't the first time it had happened.
But, to answer the question about how the doctors have reacted when I drop my pants and have a full on erection, if I mention it they just let me know it happens all the time so apparently it is more common than we think.
I'll start by saying that when flaccid, I am smaller than most men.  Erect, I am average.  But an average erect "guy" is still quite noticeable, especially if it points skyward as mine does.  So I have a constant dilemma in shower rooms--either I feel embarrassed because I think I'm too small, or I'm embarrassed and panicked because I can feel it starting to get too big!  

My days of public showering started around the same time as my puberty, so I have never had a time when this wasn't an issue.  I will also tell you that I am bisexual, and have been all my life, even before puberty.  Once I got over my religious brainwashing, I ceased to have guilt or hangups about enjoying the sight of naked men, in the right setting.  I recognize that public showers are NOT the right setting, but that doesn't mean I have any control over it.

I've noticed there seem to be three basic types of shower facilities.  In order of most-to-least private, these are:  1) private stalls; 2) a large rectangular room with shower nozzles coming out of the walls; and 3) a central column with nozzles coming off it in a sort of starburst pattern (or like spokes from the hub of a wheel).  Even in private stalls, I usually get hard, even if I my "guy" is not seen by anyone else.  In the second type (the wall nozzle), I can usually face the wall for most of my shower, and since my erections tend to come up and go away several times during the course of a shower, I wait until it's in a "quiet" state before I face the center of the room to wash my backside.  

But the worst is the third type.  You have to face the center column to adjust the water, and the soap rack is on the center column, so for most of the shower you're facing the center, as is everyone else!  Package check, anyone?  Because my high school used this design, I learned to shower very quickly, and to keep my head held high and my hands held low.  But here's what puzzles me:  why would anyone choose to install this third type of shower facility, especially for a high school, where boys are always popping wood anyway?  Aren't they just begging for this situation to "come up?"  Makes you wonder…

As for medical exams, I have had female doctors examine me and had Mr. Happy make an appearance.  The first time it happened, the doctor was someone I knew from a non-medical business relationship, and I already found her attractive, though I had never said or done anything.  I was lying on her exam table with my underwear on, and she was feeling my abdomen and upper pubic region, which was stimulating enough.  Then she told me to stand up and pull down my underwear.  I did, and POING!  There he was, as big as he ever gets.  There was even a tear in his eye, if you know what I mean.  I muttered, “Sorry.”  She seemed as embarrassed as I was, but she didn’t say anything, and went on with her exam in a professional manner, more’s the pity.

Oddly enough, I have never gotten a woodie when a male doctor has examined me.  Even during prostate checks, which I might find enjoyable under other circumstances, I’ve never flown the flag.  I’ve often fretted that I might, but it has never happened.  I don’t know why.  If it ever did happen, I would just ignore it if the doctor didn't say anything, which he probably wouldn't.  After all, as others have written, they've probably seen it all before.

Here’s the bottom line:  If any man says it’s your fault for sprouting wood, ask him how much control HE has over his own.  If he claims to have total control, request scientific proof:  tell him to make it grow and shrink three times in one minute.  If you can summon the nerve to counter-confront someone this directly, you will probably already have defused the situation, in more ways than one.
I can't believe all of you people get hard in the showers.
Kegel exercises may help to some to control un wanted errection.
Penis Bath: Stretch your foreskin and pour water on stretched part for 15 minutes a day.. circumcised person can pat the perinium( muscle between anus and scrotum) with water -dripping cloth for 15 minutes. This soothens the nerves at the foreskin.
It has other advantaes as well.

f
Hello StrikerBilly,

What you wrote was excellent.  I had a good laugh, and I realized I am not alone with this “problem”.  The first paragraph you wrote applies to me word for word, like if I wrote it myself.

The other part of my story is somewhat different, though.  Between the age of 15 and 17, I realized I was terrorized of taking a shower in public, because of the same dilemma you were describing.  I was facing either exposing my “below average” equipment, or my full scale erection.  I was playing high school football, and I was lucky enough to play for a team that had no showers in the locker room.  Actually, the real locker room with the showers was being rebuilt and it just took forever to finish the work, due to financial problems.  So for 3 years we had a “temporary” locker room set up in a room which was obviously inadequate to host a football team.  So I had the perfect excuse to avoid the shower.  However, like any football team, half of our games were played on the road, and we did have access to fully equipped locker rooms when we were the visiting team.  But most of my teammates got used to the smell and chose not to shower and just “smell like real men”.  Interestingly, our nickname was “the Stinkers”, and we were very proud of that.

I was a dam good player (if you know football, I played Tight End on the offensive line, I had the best hands you can imagine and I never dropped a football, including frequent one-hand catches.  I was not a super fast runner, but my job was to catch the football and get the first down at all costs, which I always did, even if it meant being destroyed by linebackers 0.01 sec after the catch).  I won our team’s MVP award and was offered a full college scholarship by a major university with a strong football program, all I had to do was play football for them.  Guess what? I declined the offer.  Why?  Because I absolutely cannot take a shower in public, and I knew I would run out of luck when I was invited to visit the place and saw the fully functional showers (type 2 in your description – although I agree with you that type 3 showers should be banned from the surface of the Earth).  Today I am 42, and I am still a “shower virgin”.  I have never ever showered in public, the reason being I am too embarrassed of having an automatic erection when I shower.  It is a very heavy handicap which has cost me a very heavy price, which most people cannot even imagine.  Even if I shower completely alone in my own bathroom, it never fails to happen: I always get a full blown erection, absolutely 100% of the time.  Only my wife knows about that.  It took me 10 years of marriage to tell her about the scholarship I declined in 1983, and the reason why I did it.  I ended up going to a less prestigious (and less expensive) college, one that did not have a football program.  So once again, I had the perfect excuse to keep my shower virginity.

Unlike yourself, I am not bisexual.  I am extremely attracted by women, and I have no sexual interest in other men.  But still, I always get a hard on as stiff as titanium, every time I undress and start feeling water flowing on my naked body.  After my football “career” abruptly ended, I started indoor swimming.  When I had to change in the locker room, guess what? I still got the automatic erection.  All this happens in a mere 4 seconds, the time it takes to take the bathing suit off and put on the underwear.

I spent countless hours searching the internet to find an “erection inhibitor”, some kind of “anti-viagra” that would allow me to shower in public, like normal men, without having an erection.  I still haven’t found anything of that nature.  I tried masturbating before going in the pool’s locker room, but I ended up with an even stronger erection when I started getting undressed.

Today, there are countless ways of helping men with erectile dysfunction, which is good.  But unfortunately, nobody gives a dam about men who have the opposite problem, automatic uncontrolled erections at the worst possible time.

I think most men are not ready to accept a man sharing a public shower with them, if this man has a full scale erection.  This is why I am not ready to expose my erections in public showers.

Showering in public is like flying.  There are 3 kinds of people: [1] those who actually enjoy it; [2] those who are not afraid of doing it, but they do not enjoy it at all; they do it because they have to and it’s both convenient and good for them, and [3] those who are so afraid of it that they simply avoid doing it, at all costs.

Between the age of 20 and 30, there were times when I felt like a pathetic loser, for turning down a full-blown college scholarship, especially from an institution of this prestige and caliber.  Needless to say, I am probably the only man in the history of this planet who has turned down a scholarship and a (possible) pro football career for such a reason.  I spent countless hours crying like a baby, blaming the world for imposing public showers to anyone who plays any kind of sport.  My family and friends have no idea why I quit football at the age of 18, after winning my team’s MVP award, and after being offered a scholarship.  Even today, it still remains a mystery to them.  If they only knew…

StrikerBilly, I find very comforting the fact that you were able to control the situation the way you did.  I really liked the bottom line you wrote in your last paragraph.  It sounded very wise and witty.  Hopefully I will learn from it.
If you research tantric yoga or kundalini yoga, you will find breathing exercises with contraction of navel, genitals and muscles around the anus. In a nutshell it can be described as under.
Take deep abdominal breath and exhale completely. While exhaling tighten or contract navel(lower stomach goes in near the spinal column),tighten  genitals, and contact anus muscles, visualizing white light emerging from perineum going to crown of your head through your spinal column. Wait for few seconds and exhale, visualizing white light back to the perineum. Such 4 or 5 rounds should settle your erection. Sexual energy is converted into mental energy. For detailed procedure, visit any web site of Kundalini yoga or tantric yoga. In other words you are circulating the energy in most important meridians namely Governor (in the back) channel and functional channel (in gront).With practice one can learn this technique which will help to maintain your health and solve your sexual problems. You can also learn from Taoist or Zen yoga.

When I was a boy-pre-adolescent-all of us boys would see each others genitals and had no trouble intentionally doing so.  When we showered together later, it was clear that the guys who were earliest  enthusiastic about girls were likely to strut their nude bodies with gusto.Also, At around age 12-15 we would often get hard-ons willingly in front of each other.  It didn't ''count' as queer. An adult who was sharing a toilet bowl with me, as was common at the time reassured me that getting hard was common at my age and was nothing to worry about. I then continued the urine stream.  
When I was a boy-pre-adolescent-all of us boys would see each others genitals and had no trouble intentionally doing so.  When we showered together later, it was clear that the guys who were earliest  enthusiastic about girls were likely to strut their nude bodies with gusto.Also, At around age 12-15 we would often get hard-ons willingly in front of each other.  It didn't ''count' as queer. An adult who was sharing a toilet bowl with me, as was common at the time, reassured me that getting hard was common at my age and was nothing to worry about. I then continued the urine stream.  
I shower communally all the time (age 30), but was afraid to for the longest time. The military helped. It also included toilet sharing and gang showers (including type 3). Initially mortified (mostly b/c I am small) I am so over it. In fact, I used to try to become somewhat aroused ahead of shower time so I would appear bigger. This didn't seem to work as sexual arousal was put on complete hold for all of boot camp (a strange thing indeed considering that this has never been possible before or after!). Now, I shower at the gym all the time and prefer other guys to be around. Ironically I feel less perverted when I am the only one showering...like maybe the others avoid it b/c they think I'm weird for doing it. Fortunately this does not happen often and I find that many men are not bothered by incidental male nudity. It is more of a problem with younger generation but they are missing out. In my opinion there is a mysterious and nonsexual camaraderie that takes place amongst males who must be nude in a communal setting. It is a part of healthy male interaction and growing up imo. Seems the most well adjusted men feel the same way and they are the ones from generations that thought it 'gay' to HIDE your male body. As for erections, these don't arrive very often in the wrong settings but so long as a guy near me isn't intentionally being a creep, his boner would not bother me. They are natural and all men get them when healthy.
I meant to say I feel less perverted if I am NOT the only one showering. Not that it is perverted anyway, but just seems more normal when you are not the only one. This way it is easier to overcome the hangups some guys have with showering in public
I'm glad yu mentioned the military bit as I'm going into the military this year and have always been worried about getting an erection when showering.  I joined a gym recently with cubical showers which I was happy with at first but now realise it doesn't help me solve my problem.  To try and counter this I get naked in the changing rooms before showering to get used to being naked in front of other people and although I'm not embarrassed at all about being naked I am terrified about getting an erection and I do!  When I take my underwear off I start to get hard and and have to put my towel on quickly!  Before I would take my underwear off then put my towel on then take my shirt off to stop this and it helped a little but it still didnt help my overall problem!  I've tried other things to help control like sleeping naked to get used to the feeling but it doesnt help in public changing rooms at all!

This sudafed idea I've been reading about seems like a good idea however but I don't want to rely on drugs to help.  I agree that there is something good about being naked with other men and would probably enjoy it but I am scared of the problem's id face getting there.  People say just face the wall but as soon as I get naked in the changing room I get a hard on immediately so by the time I take my towel off and walk to the shower I'd be solid by the time I got there!  I have an raf tour on thursday which involves a fitness test and will therefore involve a shower and have found the info on this forum very helpful but when it comes to the crunch I'm afraid I'm going to forget everything and by focusing on not getting hard WILL get hard.  If you or anyone has anymore tips then I'd be glad to hear them!  Hopefully by the end of the year my problem will be gone!
you're right never feel embarrased .  guys don't care about otheguys , so just be yourself, and it,s okay to be small or have a hardon. i have never seen another guy ever check me out or care,it is just normal to be naked at looker rooms
it's no big deal to have a hardon in the shower,nobody cares.
Im in my teens and my friends shower together after hockey they always have erections and just play with them its kinda funny. anyways im to small for my age so i dont take nude showers although i will when im 'bigger'
I no what you mean.  I joined the navy some years ago and had exactly the same fear.  The comunial showers when I first joined up were a bit of a concern, but I always managed to keep it under control or at the very least hide it.  
There was one occassion though when I did get caught out.  I was rushing from the shower to the mess and had forgotten to put my flip flops on.  To get between the shower and the mess I had to go accross a lyno floor.  Anyway I didn't expect the floor to be as slippery as it was, stepped on the floor, slipped and fell hard on my front.  My towel came undone in the fall so I was naked.  I tried to get up but fell straight back down.  Finnally I managed to get up onto my knees but couldn't get up because of the slippery floor.  I decided to start crawling to a carpeted area that was about 10ft away.  Before I got to the carpeted area one of the other guy's came out of the mess, saw me on the floor and tried to get me up.  I felt like a complete idiot, even more so because I just kept slipping.  In the end another guy came out and between the two of them they got me up.  The really embarrassing bit was that by the time they got me up and helped me to the carpeted area I had a stonker of an erection.  Fortunately I was able to cover up pretty quick with the towel that had come undone in the fall, but obviously they noticed it and I had to put up with jokes about it for ages after.  Fortunately all the people I work with now no nothing about it.
Search the phrase,- pranayam and sexual arousa or kegel exercises. you may find solution with kundalini yoga.
while having unwanted erection, inhale and visualize, energy in the form of white light traveling from groins to crown of the head and exhale , visualizing the white light traveling down to the groin. Sexual energy will be converted into mental energy. For details search pranayam and sexual arousal..
ya its all good its normal. we are all guys in the locker room and dont care. we all get un wanted erections, its normal, nothing none of us have ever seen before.
Yeah.. Most (if not all) guys have this problem. I find what helps me out are math equations. Math is very abstract and we have to think about it to do it. If we focus on a simple equation in our heads when you get horney, it actually takes your mind off of things a bit and you calm down... down there.

For example: When I'm a little aroused, I just do this in my head: 3x+3=6   a couple of times. If anything, try different problems. It helps!
As a kid,  I often worried  that I might spring a boner in the showers. Came close a few times. It wouldn't have mattered much, anyway. We were all guys and knew it happened to most of us now and then. We showered in gang showers every day from seventh grade on. Some guys were obviously uncomfortable at first, but usually got over it pretty quickly.

I have a theory about young guys and their silly modesty today. When I grew up most families had a father in the household, as well as a mom. I believe lots more kids are being brought up only by their mothers, and the mothers are instilling a definitely feminine, "cover-yourself-up," point of view in their kids, boys and girls alike. Boys often don't have any male model to learn from.

This whole idea of male modesty and fear of exposing ones genitals is ridiculous. It seems most guys today would rather go into a stall with a toilet than **** at a urinal. God forbid that one should have to use a urinal right next to someone else! Trough urinals and the kind where guys would **** on a wall and it would run to a drain in the floor used to be common in the US. Modesty walls between urinals were not necessarily expected.

When I was a kid we were taught to swim in the nude at the YMCA, if you can believe that! It was no big deal! The discomfort was that other kids' mothers often sat in the bleachers and watched us. That was the embarassing part.

Erections are normal. Unwanted erections are normal, too. Flaunting them is not. As one gets used to showering or peeing or just being nude in groups the hard-ons should diminish. When I first went to nude beaches, just the breeze on my exposed **** would make it hard. I'd roll over on my stomach till it was gone. Simple. Some guys strut their stuff up and down the beach. Others stroke themselves. That is boorish.

If you are having problems in the locker room with unwanted erections, you   must have somehow sexualized the situation. That does not mean you are gay or bi, but it does mean that you probably need to acknowledge that fact, explore it, address it and get over it.

That's my two cents.

I am in 8th grade and I have only showered at my school a few times but I honestly think there's nothing to be afraid of. Unless there is a Gay person that might come and look at you and like compliment or obviously looking at your penis, it won't be too uncomfortable. I know a gay person and I've showered in the same gang shower with him and he isn't looking but its obvious he has a boner. Its not uncomfortable unless he turns around. And if you have a boner, which has totally happened to me a few times, that Pranayama thing or doing math, actually works. I've tried it. So, overall: showering with other guys shouldn't be uncomfortabale. You're all guys and, hopefully, they all have one too. And if they give you hell about it, do as a lot of other people have said to do, Ask him why he's looking at your ****.
Yeah,nothing like getting wood in the showers when it's packed
Go with the flow it's so exhilarating .
Man to Man let ur nuts hang and keep ur head up(pun intended),gay,bi,str8,do U

-JOAQUIM
A related discussion, Men and their erections was started.
Yes, it happened to me recently, very unexpectedly too. I am very straight, with girlfriend. After a strong workout, I went to the showers, as normal.  The shower room is rectangular, with hooks at the entrance for the towels. I put my towel on one of the hooks and went to the only empty shower, the one in the far corner. And then, out of the blue, my penis went straight up erect. I was not aroused, not ogling, not trying to sexualize the scene.. I was just very very hard. And I could not make it go away. Minutes went by, still very erect. I was in a hurry to get someplace, I had no idea how long this would go on, so I just walked to get my towel, still hard. Wrapped it around me as quickly as possible and left. Still not sure why that happened, but now am a bit nervous about taking a shower there again.