Men's Health Community
Need for circumcision for men

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

Need for circumcision for men

How important is it for a man to be circumcised? If he is not circumcised can it cause problems later for him? What are the pro's and cons of circumcision? Is there an age limit for the same to be done?
No need for circumcision whatsoever. In fact, the US is pretty much the only country where boys are routinely circumcised (excluding religious reasons), and even that's a relatively new phenomenon. Routine circumcision is rooted in Victorian morals (supposedly circumcision would prevent masturbation) and social status (not everyone could afford to circumcise their sons). Believe me, billions of men are uncircumcised and live long, healthy, happy lives. The US is definitely in the minority.
my dad was not, but i got the chop (for some reason)???
makes no real difference unless your jewish, they have a tradition that demands it, goes back to abraham i think, ask a rabbi !                   h.

There is no medical need for circumcision in normal cases.  A benefit for circumcision is that it is easier to keep clean, but in a society where we bathe usually once a day, keeping it clean is not a problem.  One medical condition where circumcision is necessary is when the foreskin is too small and does not retract completely.  Otherwise, there really is no need.

It is true that the US circumcises males for the hell of it (mostly  tradition).  Most fathers will circumcise their sons because they want their sons to look like the father, so its really no basis other than tradition.  Obviously, circumcision does not prevent masturbation as it once was thought.  However, circumcision does make the head less sensitive, but being more or less sensitive can be worked out between sexual partners.  The US circumcises about 80% of newborns, although only about 60% of men in the US are circumcised (due to immigration).  It does have alot to do with social class and ethnic background.  The Jews and Muslims both circumcise the males for religious reasons.  

A new movement among physicians (usually younger physicians) in the US is against circumcision and some compare it to male genital mutilation because their is no medical necessity for it.  My recommendation would be to NOT circumcise the child, and let them decide what they want when they become a mid-teen.
I have dated 2 men who were circumcised and 2 who weren't, and my husband isn't circumcised. There is no reason to be circumcised! It is totally clean to be uncircumcised. It feels pretty similar for the woman either way. The only difference I can think of is that it's easier to masturbate if you're uncircumcised (you don't need lube) and it sometimes feels more gentle and sensual for the woman when the man is uncircumcised. I wouldn't recommend anyone get circumcised as an adult unless it's a medical crisis.
> What are the pro's and cons of circumcision?

Circumcision has pro's only when it is performed for medical reasons, like phimosis, and even then it can have cons too if not done correctly. In any other case it has only cons since it affects in a negative way the sex life of the man. The foreskin is there to protect the sensitive glans (glands); removing it leaves the glans (glands) continuously exposed to friction (with the cloths) and evaporation. After some time dryness installs and its sensitivity starts to drop with all the obvious adverse effects in the sexual pleasure.

Another point: during circumcision often the frenulum too is removed. This leaves the man with the glans (glands) as its only active erogenous zone, but as explained previously, sadly this too will fade with time.

So, please do a favor to yourself (or the men you are related to) and avoid circumcision at all costs, unless it cannot be done otherwise for medical reasons.
It's not important unless you're of a religion or faith that asks of you to get it done. If he's not circumcised it doesn't make much difference although..

Pro's: A circumcised penis is a lot more cleaner than an un-circumcised one, as there is no build up of smegma (cheese), you're less likely to catch infections, and some women prefer it.
Con's: there is the uncomfortable feeling of the glans (glands) (the head of the penis) rubbing against the pubic hair, but this is easily sorted by shaving or positioning the penis in a different angle. It's true a little pleasure is lost but nothing major that you've got to cry home about.

There's a common rumour that says you need lubricant to masterbate if you're circumcised, which is very un-true! It's a preference... but you Do Not Need It.

You're normally circumcised at birth but if you have a medical condition then you can get it done at any age. I don't know if there is a restriction if you just wake up one day and say ''I want to get circumcised''.. parental consent will possibly be needed.

If you live in the UK you can get it privately done for £2000 or you can get it done by the NHS for free. I recommend it!