MEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
PAINFUL LUMP UNDER ARMPIT
by J_V, Feb 06, 2007
NOT TOO LONG AGO I BEGAN TO GET A RAISED BUMP UNDER MY ARMPIT. IT DIDNT HURT TILL I ACTUALLY NOTICED IT, AND THE PAIN WASNT BAD AT ALL.I SEARCHED THE NET AND THE ONLY THING I COULD COME UP WITH WAS THAT I WAS USING MY BROTHERS DEODORANT FOR LIKE 3 TO 4 WEEKS BEFORE THE BUMP SHOWED UP. I STOPED USING HIS DEODORANT AND HAD HIM BUY ME A NEW ONE. HE BAUGHT THE SAME BRAND DEODORANT BUT I THOUGHT NOTHING OF IT SINCE IT WAS NEW THIS TIME. WELL THE BUMP WENT AWAYS AND USED THE NEW DEODORANT. AFTER A WEEK OF USING IT A NEW BUMP ROSE. THIS ONE WAS A LITTLE BIT MORE PAINFUL BUT SMALLER IN SIZE. I FIGURED IT WAS THE BRAND THAT WAS GIVING ME THOSE BUMPS, SO I STOPED USING DEODORANT FOR A WHILE TILL IT WENT AWAY.THEN ABOUT 6 DAYS AFTER IT WAS GONE, I NOTICED A THIRD BUMP THAT RAISED.THE BUMPS FELT LIKE PIMPLES BUT NOT TOO SWOLLEN OR RED. IN OTHER WORDS, ITS HARD TO SEE THE BUMPS UNLESS I POINT THEM OUT TO YOU. WHEN I DID RESEARCH I FOUND OUT THAT THIS COULD BE SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES. IF SO, HOW WOULD I KNOW IF IT IS? AND I KNOW THERE ARE MANY POSSIBILITIES FOR SWOLLEN LYMPHS BUT I WANNA KNOW THE COMMON CAUSES FOR SWOLLEN LYMPHS UNDER ARMPIT.I AM REALLY CONCERNED AND WANT SOME OPINIONS TOO. JUST WANNA KNOW WHAT IT COULD BE.PLEASE HELP... THANK YOU!
Member Comments (20)
by tina1111, Feb 06, 2007
It sounds like you have a cyst. Often antiperspirants and deodorants will block the glands that sweat. We all sweat and need to sweat to live. Unfotunately, if you block the gland it will build up inside. One of the most common brands that cause it is Mitchum. Try switching brands until you find one that doesnt cause cysts. They can get very painful and if let go too long need lancing.
by J_V, Feb 06, 2007
so in other words, its nothing bad you think?.. because i know swollen lymphs are related to many things and i am worried it could be that! i know i would need to see a doctor to find out for sure but how would i know what it is and if i should worry? and thanx for your comment.
by tina1111, Feb 07, 2007
The fact that it went away when u changed deodorant suggests that it is clogged glands. I had them and went to dr because it freaked me out and was very painful. They swell and press on nerves and do get infected. The lymph glands get rid of infection so you may feel them working on the problem. The dr told me to switch deodorant and don't be afraid to sweat sometimes.
by J_V, Feb 07, 2007
ok but, it didt go away when i changed deodorant. it went away by me not using the deodorant. well the first two did. the third bump i got just came up without using the deodorant for about a week and a half. sounds kinda nasty that i didnt use non but i kept myself clean so dont worry.lol. anyways, how would i know if its the deodorant or not, or should i say, how do i know if it is a cyst or not. could a be an absess? and if a fourth bump rose after this one goes away, should i be concerned? sorry for so many questions but as you can tell i am really concerned. thanx for your help too!!!
by tina1111, Feb 09, 2007
They can abscess. You may be a little more sensitive to the deodorant. I would try using something for sensitive skin and not so harsh or not geared toward athletics. Try the regular not "heavy duty" or "extreme". When you are going to be home, wash it off and give the ole pits a break, when you can. I am down to only one brand I can use, maybe it might work for you. Secret unscented. Yes, it's a womens deodorant, but like the commercial says-strong enough for a man.
by J_V, Feb 16, 2007
thanx for the help. but my question is, how do i know if it is really a cyst?. and when should they go away because if had already 4. One will pop up and go away then another one shows up. this has happend 4 times but neither bump has stayed for more than a week. and the last one i got was the least painful and the smallest. are you sure they are not swollen lymphs? can u describe a lymph and a cyst?
by della644, Apr 28, 2008
i have like i lumb under my arm and blood pus come out for 1 year areready and it hurt and it come black and hard sometime come blood and sometime come pus can you tell me what to do
by della644, Apr 28, 2008
i have someting under my arm dokter in aruba tell me before is a bad infection under my  arm but they gave me atibiotic but it didnt help every day come blood and pus out and it hurt allot please can you help me i went every where to check it but nothing help
by Nafia, May 13, 2008
i am experiencing the same thing with little not under the skin that are painful and swollen and red what are they