Men's Health Community
Penis hard even in flaccid state

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

Penis hard even in flaccid state

Hello. I have posted a bit in someone else's thread, but wanted to make my own. I will give a brief rundown of the situation.

When i was 15, i was wrestling around with some friends , and felt an odd pop in my lower abdoment along with a very weird sensation in my groin. Went to the bathroom, and noticed my penis and almost fully retracted into my abdomen and was stiff , even though it was in its "flaccid" state. I went to the doctor a few months later , (being a young teen i was embarrased) and he said he didnt know, but its probably nothing to worry about and it would probably resolve itself. It never did, and i am 27 now.

It doesnt affect my sex life directly, i can achieve and maintain an erection just fine, urination is fine as well. The problem is, that it is very uncomfortable, and makes living a normal life nearly impossible. I have sever anxiety attacks about it, i guess from feeling like i am not in control of my own body. The feeling is horrible and i wouldnt wish it upon anyone.

I saw a urologist about a week ago, and he dismissed it as caused by anxiety. Yes, i said, the anxiety makes it worse, but it shouldnt be stiff in the flaccid state. He said he felt some fibrous tissue, and suggested maybe a mild case of Peyronies. But all the research i have done on peyronies, nothing fits except for the fibrous tissue. My erection does not curve, and peyronies patients dont complain of severe retraction or hardess while flaccid. Priaprism?

Anyone have any ideas?
Viewing 1-200 comments:
bump
anyone?
I sometimes experience this myself mate but I can't help you as no-one has been able to explain to me what's going on.

My doctor says I've no fibrous tissue.  

Does this happen 100% of the time?
Yes, it happens 100% of the time. I make make it soft by 'playing' with it a bit. Did you receive an ultrasound?
I've had an ultrasound and a saline erection due to the main problem I have (shrinking penis) and the doctors found nothing untoward with either the tissue or the blood flow.

It doesn't happen all the time for me but it is a regular occurance.

I feel it's often like that following sex/masturbation
I have had neither an ultrasound or any other procedure other than the doctor painfully squeezing my wang while "flaccid" and saying "yeah, i feel a little fibrous tissue". He wasnt terribly concerned and proclaimed that  i am not a sick man. I dont think i am "sick" per say, but it does affect my quality of life in a huge way. It is not normal, and just because it doesnt hurt , doesnt mean its OK. Am i right in thinking i should seek a second opinion?
I'm no doctor but every patient should be entitled to a second opinion and if it'll make you feel better then you should seek one.

It all depends on how much discomfort this is causing you but if your piece isn't getting any smaller, can still get hard, isn't causing you pain and you don't have any bother urinating then, evne though what you describe isn't normal, it might not be anything to worry about.

That said, I'm not going to tell anyone how to feel about this or any other medical condition.  For the past 12 years, my penis has been getting progressively thinner and over the past two or so years, I've been getting a lot of pain in the area.  Doctors have told me this can't be happening and not to worry about it so I know what it's like to be frustrated when trying to get diagnosed/treated.
I have the exact same problem and all the doctor says is its normal and it will come right. i know that its not right and it has put my life on hold for the last 2 months and nothing is changing. please let me konw if you learn anything about it.
Tell him it will not change. I have had it since i was 15, i am 27 now. Thats 12 years of nothing changing.
Maybe the resident pro Morgannon could have a peek at this post?
Heh, I wish I was a pro - I could cure us then!

I too have the same odd situation, or at least it sounds like it.  My penis in its non-erect state feels semi-hard sometimes.  It doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it feels like my testes get very tender and sore, the skin around my penis swells, and it feels like my penis is semi-hard and very tender to the touch.  I too feel fibrous tissue in the sides of my penis now.  

Wish I knew what was happening, or how I could cure it.  I do find that the warmer my penis is, the better I feel, so I've been turning a space heater on my junk at night to get it nice and warm, and that really seems to help.  Dr. wife thinks it may be a circulation problem related to the varicoceles I seem to be developing.

I'm due to get an ultrasound soon for this and other issues, so I will let everyone know what I find.  

Morgannon
Regarding the possibility that its a circulation issue, does your penis ever feel cold to the touch? Any problem achieveing/maintaining an erection?
Yes, and no.  It does sometimes feel cold to the touch.  It also seems to have purple shadows in the glans (glands) sometimes when it is coldest.  The whole entire scrotal area sometimes feels very cold.  Heating the area seems to bring relief and a flaccid penis.  

No problems achieving / maintaining an erection most of the time.
Your symptoms appear almost identical to mine. Do certain situations make it worse/more uncomfortable? For example, driving makes mine retract like crazy, i guess from the combo of the sitting position + California drivers. Also, if i wear pants that are slightly too tight it makes it worse. And the obvious, extreme cold.
Yep, sitting makes the symptoms worse, so do wearing tight pants that rub against my penis - I find myself pulling at the pants to give myself more room.

I also have strange sensations in my testicles - they feel like they need to be supported or something.  If I let them hang, they ache or something strange like that.

Also, when my symptoms are worst, it feels like the testicles really ache badly.  Also, I notice the base of my penis feels very swollen and tender.

Morgannon
Ditto on the rubbing of the pants. Quite uncomfortable. When mine gets really bad, my testicles have a pins and needles like sensation, and shrink up as well. They also ache when hanging though, this is very odd that our symptoms match up so well. But "nothing is wrong with us". Well, thats what i was told at least.

The urologist said "thats your penis' natural reaction to cold or adrenaline." And i said "i know, and some people experience this a few times in their life, not EVERY DAY, 24/HRS a day." But i guess its easy to be so non-chalant about it when its not your body.
Dang, yeah, that is bizarre how close our symptoms are.  

I have some new data to report.  Got my full urinalysis test back.  Everything in the main was normal, with the following exceptions:

1.)  I had "1+" proteins in my urine, so very few, but there should be none.
2.)  My urine was VERY acidic - 5.5 pH.  
3.)  I had moderate amounts of calcium oxalate crystals.
4.)  I had lots of amorphous sediment.
5.)  I had small to moderate amounts of bacteria, but nothing would culture.

Most telling - no blood, no leukocytes, no pus, yet all these other things.  What kind of bacteria is that I wonder?  Why is my urine so acidic?  And what kind of bacteria could live in that kind of acid environment?  Etc. etc.

Enigma, have you had the same types of tests?  If not, I'd strongly suggest you get them, and we should compare notes.

Morgannon

P.S., have you tried direct heat on the testicles and penis?  I took a long hot bath the other night and everything relaxed down there.  Oh man I feel great, even now!  Plus, I'm drinking tons of veggie juice to alkalinize my urine.  That really seems to be helping too.
I have never tried direct heat, no. Its been years and years, i cant even remember the last time actually, since ive taken a bath, so ive never tried that, but a hot shower doesnt seem to do the trick. I will look into getting a urine analysis done. This is wearing very thin on me.
Hot showers don't work all that well for me either - the heat has to be direct, and constant.  Baths are best, although space heaters aimed at the package work if the heat is high enough.  Hot water bottles and heating pads are blessings.  I've got a heating pad in my lap at work as I type - it's most beneficial, and there is no pain whatsoever.

Yeah, see what the urinalysis shows, I'm willing to bet we have similar readings.  How long have you had these symptoms?  I'm going on one year, but it sounds like it's been much longer for you.  I'm surprised none of your docs gave you an analysis of this type, or at least a recent one.  

Another very odd symptom I noticed over the last couple of weeks (to add to the basket of symptoms).  My urethral opening sometimes swells shut, to the point where in order to look into it I must squeeze the base of the glans (glands) to open it.  Then, when I look at the opening, it has what looks like grooves in the side of the opening that appear to start at the tip of my urethra and go back into the penis, paralell to my shaft.  Looks like some sort of inflammatory process, but my urinalysis showed no leukocytes, which I thought were an inflammation marker.  

Ugh.  There's gotta be some sort of cure.  I also have noticed that I have cysts in some of my tubes in the groin area.  Maybe I have some sort of blockage.
Never mind about the "how long have you had your symptoms" question, just went back to your first post.  Looks like 12 years - ouch!
****, forgot to add:

I read somewhere that bananas are a folk remedy for urinary tract infections.  I started eating them (used to eat them all the time when younger), and I have noticed that my symptoms are not as bad now.  The only explanation I can think of is that bananas are very alkaline, and reduce the acidity of the urine.  Or maybe they lubricate the urethra.  Or something.  God only knows.
Yup, 12 years. Sucks big time. I dont believe i can live a normal life with this condition. Ive forgotten what it feels like to just be normal.
I hear you - after only a year I've had thoughts of throwing myself under a bus just to not experience these sensations anymore, they can drive you crazy.  Can't imagine what 12 years would be like.

The good news is, medicine is improving all the time.  My wife, a radiologist, is one of the doctors leading the charge to get better computer imaging of the body, including the genitourinary system.  They literally are advancing in this technology in leaps and bounds.  The only thing is most insurance companies are unwilling to pay for the newest, best technologies.  Ironic, isn't it.  So I'm hoping once she's making some good money we can do some really good imaging of my penis/testes/groin area, and see if there's anything structural that they can see.  

In the meantime, I'm trying to take a hot bath every other day in order to keep the swelling down.  I've also had great success with Cipro - it makes me feel almost normal.  But you can't stay on it forever - or at least, doctors say you can't.  If it helps me stay normal, I'd stay on anything forever!

Morgannon  

P.S.  Speaking of antibiotics, have you had an antibio regimen recently?  Or a CBC?  I don't know if you've posted your readings before, but I'm going to post all of the abnormal readings I have as of February 5th of this year:

White Blood Cell Count - 8.0 (3.8-10.8) Although within normal range, is elevated
AST (Liver enzyme)- 83 (10-40 ref range) this prob due to fatty liver
ALT (Liver enzyme)- 179 (9-60 ref range) this prob due to fatty liver
"1+" proteins in my urine, so very few, but there should be none.
Urine pH 5.5 - VERY acidic
Crystals - moderate, calcium oxalate
Amorphous sediment - many
Bacteria - moderate, but nothing would culture
hey I am just trying to see if you guys have a similar problem as me, do you have a huge loss of feeling in your penis, and (I don't know how to describe it) like weakened muscles? I can no longer push the muscle and make my penis raise unless erect. Also when erect I feel smaller and it is harder to keep blood flow in the head. Is this similar to what you too are experiencing? For a point of reference, I was 18 when this first started, I am 19 now, it is driving me insane; I don't feel normal, consider suicide. I have been having problems on top of this: excessive sweating, constantly tired, random pains, bowel problems, and many more things.
Yes I have a numbness/loss of sensation in the penis. I lose erection semi-quickly but i have no problem getting it back if stimulated. I know exactly how you feel regarding suicide/not feeling normal. I cant even do something as normal as going to a large store, because i start to panic, it starts to retract, i start to panic some more. My palms get sweaty, my heart races and i cannot calm myself down. Medication helps, but its mostly a mind set. But if i can go on with this for over 12 years, you can keep pushing until you find an answer as well.

Did you have an injury to the area that preceeded this condition?
I have no idea if I had an injury to be honest, I remember I had pins and needles in my back and then eventually in the front of my torso, that scared me; couldn't feel my penis at all, I think it still worked fine at the time though, that went a away. Shortly after that I got drunk one night, woke up in the morning and had these problems, thought they'd go away in a week tops, how naive I was.

I seem to have 2 fluid bubbles in my testicles as well, not sure what they are
Yea, i am talking about the kind of injury you would remember, and it doesnt sound like you do so its probably not that. Have you seen a doctor and if not, can i ask why? Not being negative, i know people have various reasons, lack of insurance, embarassment, procrastination etc.
WYA;

Those two "fluid bubbles" are probably varicoceles - totally benign condition (non-cancerous), but they can mess up your urogenital system something fierce.  Search under "Megazoid" and "varicocele" and see if the problem he describes is similar to what you are facing.

Enigmaman;

I just started a trial run of Flomax, and I'm telling you, that stuff is wonderful.  Almost as good as the Cipro!  My flaccid penis is about 4 inches long now (it always used to be 1-1.5" at most) and when I'm on this, I never get micro-peen syndrome.  I can urinate pretty freely, and the whole area down there seems relaxed.  Sweet relief!

On the negative side, I'm experiencing a common side effect - masturbated the other day, and no semen came out!  Freaked out until I read that Flomax can cause ejaculatory failure and/or retrograde ejaculation.  Bizarre stuff, let me tell ya.  But, I'll take shooting blanks over the pain and discomfort any day!

Morgannon

P.S.  Enigmaman, have you tried direct heat yet?  That helps tremendously in my case.  With the Flomax, I have 100% relief.

Congratulations! That is wonderful news regarding the Flomax. I myself have not tried the direct heat yet, I dont have a small space heater or anything, but just cuddling up in some blankets i can feel a small (no pun intended) difference, so i would imagine it would work.

I am not giving up on this.
Thanks man, yeah I still have some discomfort, but much reduced.  I also had success with the Cipro, so I'm thinking if I take both, I would be symptom free.  But the docs of course don't want me to mix em.

That sucks you don't have a space heater - got a hot water bottle?  That works wonders for me.  Or a hot bath, that seems to be the best, because it relaxes the whole area.  Muscle relaxation really helps as well.

Yeah, don't give up, even if this is not cureable, it's treatable.

Morgannon
Hey guys!

I thought I was the only one suffering from this!
I too have this same problem, but my problems started about 3 years ago when I was in my shower, doing some kegel or these "stretch" exercises. My penis immediately became limp and upon feeling my penis discovered what felt like my muscles were locked up.
I started freaking out. I thought I was impotent, and that I was going to be unable to get an erection, ever since my erections have been weakened and I still feel I have a form of ED.
This happened when I was a teen so of course I was embarassed to let anyone know what happened and did not receive immediate care.
I have suffered from this for 3 1/2 years. about a year ago I saw a urologist that informed me it was because I was "too tense" and that it was nothing to worry about, and that my ED was all in my mind.
I went along with this "too tense" for a little while,but it kept occuring even when I kept my mind on other things.
This problem gave me anxiety for years, hopefully now with the info and knowing I am not the only one with this problem, I can consult another urologist and find what can be done to correct this problem.
Just to clarify, Nikon, your penis is hard/rigid to the touch even when not erect? What exact symptoms do you share with me?
My penis while flaccid shrinks to an incredibly small size, and is hard/rigid feeling. It feels like my muscles are locked. MY penis is flaccid , shrinks, and becomes hard. Its like all my muscles are locked out. They release when I use the bathroom or get an erection.
My penis shrinks like it would when I used to get cold.

What are some of your symptoms?
Exactly the same as yours. This is nuts. It sounds like we share symptoms even closer than Morgannon and I. I am going to send you a private message, hope you dont mind.
This is happening more and more to me.  My main problem is that my penis has been shrinking for years and this, along with pain in my unit, has only really been happening over the past couple of years
Guys I need some help.

I'm 20. I'm 6.5" erect and 4.7" around. I had a mild insecurity about my size, I just wanted girth, length I didn't care about. I begun the Jelq'ing excersises a couple of weeks ago. I have now stopped them. My penis saw gains initially when flaccid. However about 2 weeks in I noticed my flaccid penis hardening. My problem now is that my penis is;

1. Cold at the head when flaccid, even in a warm environment.
and 2. Hardish when flaccid.

I went to see a doc yesterday and he just did not help at all. I KNOW there is something not right, and I know that before the masaging, stretching excersise I was bigger when flaccid.

I suspect a blood flow issue. I can't talk to anyone about this mainly because I refuse to indulge my friends about my problem and I dont have a father either so that's out of the question, otherwise I would talk with him.

I also think I'm developing ED because of worrying.
I need to know if this is permanent or not, treatable or not. I'm not suicidal or even severely traumatised by it, I've been there in the initial stages I noticed something wrong and have now gotten over it to an extent, it doesn't do any good worrying on that scale! But I will admit to worrying whether I can get erect which is becoming an issue now.

Can you help me?
What's a urologist? Do I have to be referred to one or can I visit one directly?
Just so no one thinks I am ignoring book werm, we have taken our convo to private messaging, any relevant info will be shared in this thread however.
hello i know exactly what your talking about because i have the exact same thing that you describe only difference is i have a curve to my penis. but as far as the penis being hard in a flacid state i have the exact same problem. from what i have researched online i have found that being stressed out can contrict the smooth muscles of the penis and also cause the penis to shrink. i also experience anxiety attacks also. every time i have an anxiety attack my penis will shrink all the way down to about an inch and its very hard.
I want to encourage anyone who happens to read this to post in this thread with their experience.. It only takes a minute to register for the website if youre not already, and you could wind up being a missing piece to the puzzle that is the condition.
I have had a few people private message me. All it does is help me when i hear others i can relate to. Thank you.
This sounds rather like mine- I'm 16 and my penis often hurts to touch/squeeze and also feels hard when in a Flaccid state. The only way I can get it soft is to rub it over (Almost like masterbation (masturbation) but slower) and even then it goes back hard again within a few minutes.

No problem with my testicals, just my penis.

Also the red veins in my penis are really standing out when errected. Is this normal? I can't remember if they did before.

Can anyone help? Anyone have these symptoms
For forgot to mention, I'm pretty darn worried. So any help would be much appreciated
Do you notice any retraction issues?
How do you mean?
Do you notice your penis retracting more than it used to? Becoming shorter?
I am so glad I was able to get on here to talk to you, i have tried at home but had to come to a library to post this message. I too have been dealing with a situation very similar to yours, for about 5 1/2 years now, and have just recently came clean to everyone about it. My story is that even in my teenage years I had problems getting erections enough to have sex with my girlfriend and a few other girls I tried to do it with. This caused me much same and imbarassment. So I started doing penis exercises such an jelqing and stretching and jelqing. One day, like a light switch, with no real pain or point of injury, my penis seemed to shrivel up to a smaller size and become hard in its flaccid state, it feels like it is always contracted and very uncomfortable. I too have been to urologists and just a regular pcp doctor who said I appear normal to them. I just dont see how this could be, I am nothing like I used to be. Ive probably lost about 1 1/2 inches off of my penis. This is severly severed my confidence and my ability to have a normal life. I do have a double disc herniation in my lumbar spinal region which compresses both L4 and L5 roots. About 6 months ago I started having lower back pain and got it checked. I do not know if they are related, but they could be. Please reply back to me so we can talk and help eachother in the struggle that weve been given.
Your brother in struggle, Seekin'
As I've tried to explain to Doctor's who just dont understand, while it's not "painful" it is extremely uncomfortable. Its like being born without one hand. While the condition wouldnt be "painful" it would still make day to day living awkward.

Your story does mirror mine in many ways as well as Book_Werm's. I too have back problems, but have never had an MRI or XRAY as it isnt that severe. Perhaps this is something to look into.

Do you find you have retraction issues in times of stress/physical exertion?
Yes, when I try to get physichal it gets worse. It sucks because before this I was a phenominal Thai kickboxer. But back to the moving it is possible that the discs have compressed the nerve roots, that could be why when we move it contracts more, because it is being pushed on a nerve. Also when you have an injury to the spinal discs it does not necessarily hurt in the back. It can effect the legs, the buttock, and your motor function.  My back only started hurting six or seven months ago, and I thought it was steming from my penis, and frankly still do, but the doctors seem to think otherwise. I just dont know what to do man, I dont even wanna leave my house, much less all the activities life requires.  Get back to me when u get a chance. peace
Not really...Maybe a bit. It's hard to remember, I know it sounds silly but it is hard to remember what it was like anyway....If it makes sense. It does seem that the head of my penis is always cold when it's like it, I mean, now is one of the rare times where it's flaccid and actually not hard. And the head isn't cold now....Significant?
Guy's, i am still getting allot of personal messages and emails and it's difficult to keep up (pardon the pun) with everything going on.

I will be setting up a website soon with more information on this. There is a very strong connection between testicular disorders and "shrinkage" due to the adrenal stress response. EVERYONE should be checked for varicocele, cysts, etc before going further. Varicocele will cause this in almost ALL cases.

If you do allot of physical activity (like Thai Boxing and similar) there is a good chance you are more prone to varicocele.

Everyone must get a full adrenal, thyroid and sex hormones profile done to understand what's going on. Thyroid is essential to blood flow in the area.
Yes, I havea big vein in the back of my penis which looks blue but when I press it, it turns red.
Hey dude, you gonna get back to me or what. I posted some information in another forum that could be very helpful. The main reason I got this account was because when I read your story I felt your pain, and I thought, alright someone I can relate to. I know what your going through man, you and the rest of the guys. I am interested in your situation and would like to help any way I can. I would like to know how you are doing, and if your getting any new information on your condition. Please reply when you get a chance, I really dont have anybody talk to.
I dont really know what you want me to say. I dont have a cure for this, and I have learned nothing new, unfortunately. I am self-employed now, so no health insurance at the moment. I have been contemplating my next move. Being that I have seen a urologist who dismissed it as just stress, my thought was to try and get a doctor who seems interested in unique problems, try and spark their interest.

I have just been dealing with it. Every single day, as best I can. Some days its worse than others. But I am still breathing, so things could be much worse. Megazoid posted some really good info for you. Dont wait for others, like myself, who may be in a bad position, to get diagnosed and maybe figure this thing out, help yourself as well ! Where are you located? Im in Southern Cal...
It's actually very nearly better. Thanks for all your help
I live in Tennessee. That is so obsurd that a doctor would say that, how heartless. Never the less It might be worth your while to check your spine. I would say mine could easily be discribed as a squished nerve and a muscle spazm, just effecting that part of my body. l dont want to babble, I know how horrible this is. Luckily I have an understanding family that is here to support me. One major problem I have is that I have pretty much lost every abality I had (to an extent) and really just dont care about life anymore, and I dont know what do do with my life anymore, and frankly I dont feel like I can. Are you taking any anti depressants or anti anxiety medication, as they seem to be helping me some.

Its cool if you dont have all the answers man, but if you ever need someon to talk to, to just get your feelings out, you know how to get a hold of me.
Yes, im taking Paxil. It helps some, but I still cant really exercise or do anything physical. Which really sucks, because I used to be a decent athlete as well as weight lifter, and now my weight has sky rocketed because of this. Im 6'1, decently built, happy around 200 lbs, now im 240.
Spoke too soon, it's back :(
If its anything like my problem, it will not go away. It will stay with you.
To be honest, mate. as long as it doesn't kill me...I couldn't care less how long it stays for...
Yeah, your condition isnt as bad as Seeking_the_Answer's and I. We both have severe retraction issue and are pretty much uncomfortable 24/7
Hey all;

Yeah, it sounds like we're all experiencing the same syndrome.  Mine has gotten a little better, but it's still there.

Saints and Seeking;

Have either of you been on antibiotics?  I noticed that when I was taking 500mg a day for my prostatitis, my penis felt almost 100% normal.  Now it's about 80%.  Still better than it has been (around 50%), but not back to normal yet.

And yes, I have the same symptoms - retractile penis, feels stif even in flaccid state.  Sometimes I have a very unusual shape when I'm flaccid - it looks like the base is narrower than the upper part and head, so it looks like I've got some sort of constriction near the base of my penis.

Morgannon
Though we havent discussed this, i also have the same odd shape at the base!
discovered i have epidymitis
penis was usually hard while flacid and has curved since unprotected sex
penis is getting softer in flacid state and it doesnt hurt to pee.
i dunno if i will b completely cured but im taking cipro, doxy and 800mg of advil
and i actually joined this site because i wanted to send you a message. I typed a long message and no reply.its ok though
That is great to hear that you got a diagnosis! Let us know how the treatment works out for you!
would curing eppididymitis cure all of my symptoms dealing with my penis?
or could there still be the bacteria that is causing my epididymitis
my pee tests for everything come back clean i have no idea whats going on its like this girl gave me some alien disease that no one can figure out
Im assuming you asked the doctor these same questions... what did he/she say?
Well, when I went back to the E.R (earlier today) to get my results for the interal swab, i was negative for everything ( im assuming Trich, Syph, Ghon...cant think of anything else). But a Nurse helped me, not my doctor. He just said to stay on what im taking for my epididymitis( which i have been taking since wednesday). My penis does seem to be softer in its flaccid state which surprised me. I'm hoping this is caused by the epididymitis but i have not seen penis stiffness in any symptom charts so far...This is very interesting since I have seen two urologists so far and they did not notice my swollen epididymis...this makes me highly doubt their knowledge of the penis. Im supposed to be seeing a Third urologist next week and I will be able to ask him various questions now that i know that something is wrong and its not just me being "anxious" which was bull. I will probably get an ultrasound in order to make sure that I do not need operation and that my medication will help the inflamation (inflammation). So far I am seeing signs of improvement- My scrotum is less mishaped, everything is relaxing a little and it does not sting/burn when i pee. It still feels like i have a tinge of blue balls sometimes but hopefully the epididymitis wil clear up with no operation needed due to blockage...time will tell.
Dont give up!! Dont lose hope! Keep on getting more opinions and just know that it can ALWAYS be worse
So, how is the treatment working for you?

Everyone else, any updates?
Hey, I have been doing tons of research and interestingly enough, I think I may have found out what is wrong. I was talking to a person who knew someone with the exact same problem. She said that he had a hair sized Hernia wraping around some blood vessels in his penis. This caused a circulation problem which led to his penis being in a hard state while flacid. This was discovered after he underwent a ultrasound. Unsure if it was a testicular or penis ultrasound. The reason why this can become hard to diagnose is that it is alot cheaper to suggest antibiotics than to have an ultrasound done. Well...I hope this will help someone who might have thought they had some sort of crazy new std. I have no viral infections and no std's so im hoping this is it. How about you? THings still the same? Have you ever had an ultra sound done?
I have not had an ultra-sound done and seeing as I now have no health insurance, I probably will not have one done any time soon. So you are going to be having an ultra-sound done soon?
That sucks....I see you mentiond a "pop" noise and hernias are associated with a popping noise. I had it done tuesday and i get the results thursday. It was just a testicular ultra sound so if everything looks fine down there I'll try a penile ultrasound.
I know mine is 100% injury related but the doc I saw wanted to hear none of it. It was utterly ridiculous. He did feel around my prostate, but a small hernia like the one you described, I doubt could be felt, probably only "seen" with an ultrasound.
Yeah, some doctors are stubborn and will not possibly think outside of the box. I totallly understand, since the three urologists I have been to have given up basically. Yeah thats correct man, it would only be visible to the ultrasound. Looking back at my symptoms a blood circulation problem makes total sense. Since blood is the only way the penis can react and retract. Hopefully my problem and yours could be easy as a simple operation....
Hi everyone, I am here to contribute to this discussion. I posted this a while back on another site, no response, its very similar to what you guys have posted.  
Ok, I will get strait to the point. I am 22 years old. When I was in High School (A few years ago) I smoked a lot of weed. I had sex with several women and could go at least twice during sex, fully please women, my penis was 6 and a half inches erect, normal flaccid. I was very healthy, I didn't even know you could get an erection that was not "full."
Rather suddenly in my final year something physiological happened rather quickly (like over a week or two) where I suddenly developed erectile problems. My sex drive reduced hugely, my penis became a lot smaller in its flaccid state and it took a lot more for me to get aroused. The change was very sudden and my girlfriend thought I lost interest in her and cried about it. It was physiological, I felt the change dramatically.

Its now been 4 years, and this problem has literally shaped my life. When this problem happened, I quit smoking weed, quit cigarettes, never drank and expected my problem to get better.
Instead, over time it has not improved at all and slowly I have developed more symptoms. I now have:
-very enlarged veins on my penis (both when flaccid and erect).
-I also have a very hard/stiff penis when flaccid (like but 2inches long)
-I experience a burning sensation in my penis often in the veins.
-I have varicose veins on my testicles.
-my testicles are smaller than before.
-I have gradually had a harder and harder time getting erections and they are not "full". When erect my penis is about 5.5 inches instead of 6.5
-when erect the girth is much smaller
-I require so much more stimulation to get an erection and loose it quickly
-I feel discomfort in my penis, such as numb, aches. Sometimes my penis and my testicles feel like they have fallen asleep like when you sleep on your arm.
-My penis feels a lot hotter to the touch (both erect and flaccid) and my girlfriend notices that as well when we have sex. "its so hot" she says
-When erect it hurts to bend my penis because the veins/arteries are so stiff (even though it is less wide and an inch smaller than when I was 17)
-The mushroom on the top of my penis is soft when erect.
-It takes me like a couple days to build up any sex drive at all and because I haven't gone in like a week when I have sex I just want to ejaculate once I get in the vagina.
-Even when im erect and I don't feel a strong urge to ejaculate often, like, I could have sex with my girl please her, not ejaculate and not be bothered or teased by this, just loose my erection and forget about it.
-My penis is sensitive to things such as cigarettes, weed, alcohol (very sensitive) and being around them makes things much worse.

This problem is ruining my life. It has made me isolated socially (I do not even go in a room where someone lights a cigarette or joint anymore), I don't drink at all other than like a beer or glass of wine, and Still the problems seem to either stay the same or get worse (depending on the problem). I don't want to just take Viagra or something because im worried it will just poor blood into already engorged and irritated veins and arteries on my penis and further irritate them.
I have started taking a multi-vitamin and omega 3. I need some REAL advice on what I can actually do, Urologists have been no help. Anyone have a similar experience? I truly think it was the marijuana that did it.

Any help would be appreciate greatly
Im basically have the same thing, hard penis when flaccid, ALOT Smaller than it was before, harder to get erections, etc , etc , etc. I have managed to live with it, I just stay away from alchohol, marijuana, etc, I find my penis very sensitive. However , it is getting pregressivelly worse...  **** lets get this **** figured out
I sympathise with your problem.  I too suffer from penile atrophy but in my particular case you can throw penis pain into the mix.

I've often thought weed caused my problems but it only stays in your system for a set time - it would be out your body and not having any impact now if you stopped smoking years ago.

Can I ask if you used to masturbate heavilly?  My problems are worse when I've been masturbating/having sex regularly.
Firstly thx for writing me back, I am very committed to resolving my problem so maybe we/others can give one another pragmatic advice.

Yes, I did masturbate regularly if I was not having sex that day that is. I would probably either masturbate or have sex 2-3 times a day while smoking marijuana heavilly.

Perhaps the marijuana is out of my system now, but its impact on sperm count, fertility, circulation, varicose veins on my penis/testicles has not resolved itself in my opinion. I feel that these symptoms are the cause of my lower sex drive/innability to consistantly maintain the erections I want to please woman/live life happilly and regain my self worth.

I think that being overlly sexually active, be it masturbation or sex could have magnified the negative effects marijuana has had on that area of my body.

You say your problems are worse when you have been masturbating/having sex regularly. Other than overworking your body in this way do you have any other, more conservative advice? I am not as interested in the prospect some short term resolution such as viagra, but actually regulating my problem.

The advice I can give you, which helps is that I have been taking Omega 3's and a multi vitamin everyday. The Omega 3's increase general circulation by thinning the blood (in a much healthier way than Ginko Biloba), decrease inflamation (inflammation), helps combat depression/stress (through its DHA and EPA content), its just a generally healthy fatty acid that is good to take daily even without our problems. The multi vitamin is good because it helps regulate your system, which marijuana may have irregulated. That is the only thing I have been able to think of. I also had surgery on the varicosele which are inflamed veins around my testicles 2 days ago actually. That wont make a huge difference but it will help with fertility, sperm count and indirectly (im hoping) sex drive.  

Hey guys, thought i should reply as i have the same symptoms as everyone else here (stiffness of flacid penis etc). I am 24 and otherwise completely healthy. Only thing of note is that my left testicle has always been slightly smaller than the right due to it not dropping properly during puberty.

I have only recently noticed this problem and have been hoping it would just go away soon. I can't think of any injuries that may have caused it, perhaps it is down to stress or something.

I have noticed that if I take my mind off it, usually at the weekend when i get time to relax and do things to distract myself from it, it does seem to clear up. Then after a few days I'll be back to the same state again.

I have been trying to combat it by drinking lots of water in the hope that I'll **** out whatever is causing it. However after reading some posts here i think i might get a proffesional opinion!

Stay strong guys and dont let it get to you, there's far worse things that could happen to you believe me.

Heavy masturbation does seem to be a feature of people who complain of this and other penis problems.

Can't give any advice other than trying to eat, drink and live well really.  I've no problems with libido/ED so I can't help you in that area I'm afraid.

I take Eskimo Oil, which contains Omega 3 and 6, Ginkgo Biloba and Saw Palmetto aklthough I have to say I've not noticed any massive improvements and the shrinkage/pain continues.

yeah...i guess i kinda gave up...currently making an appt to usf...
Cool Im keeping in thouch with this site... anyone have any advice on the postings I made/ways to improve them, please let me know.
I have the same problem. 16 years old. No pain, penis works great when it comes to erection. Its nothing uncomfortable. Its just uncomfortable to think about it. Im really feeling sick and depressed when im thinking about what MIGHT happen in the future if this is something that could progress... I feel like im trapped in a malfunctioning body :(
All:

First - this sounds like a great support area. Second, I am one of the older people on here as it sounds - but I am only 35. While just about all of you sound to have very similar symptoms as I do, I can tell you that I have been experiencing this since puberty. During high school, I was embarrassed because my penis would so easily shrivel. It was tough in the locker rooms and eve tougher in the bedroom. I ended up with OCD because I constantly thought 'what if' - like what if my penis was bigger right now and functioned normally?

I ended up not having sex in high school and finally did in college with the help something called Papavarin. This is a self injection that goes in to the penis. And yes, it is uncomfortable. But just like all of you - the embarassment and stress will make you do just about anything. As a young teen, I was like any other with uncontrollable urges. I would get hard as rock erections but always had somewhat of a complex about size. I was more concerned about the falccid state than the erect state. So for a long long time, I was never sure if this was a psychological or physiological problem when I began early on having erectile problems. I was told by urologists and psychologists that it was all in my head.

So how am I similar to all of you? Well, at 35, I am married with 2 kids and nothing really to worry about as far as impressing the girls since I have a wife who loves me...and yet I still have:

Erectile problems

Retracted penis

Stiff penis when flacid

When I squeeze my penis with index finger and thumb, there is slight discomfort and I can feel the urethra or other veins that run through the middle of the penis. It's as if there is no smooth muscle tissue in there.

A sort of tingling sensation in my penis. I have also smoked pot and it heightens it. I feel as if I masturbate it may go away - but it doesn't

I also don't get full erections. Basically when the blood soes come in, that muscle tissue that is supposed to fill up still feels like its not there. This of course means my penis is much thinner than I have seen it when it felt and looked normal.

I also always have an urge to touch it because of the tingling. Also, because it gets so retracted, it has a lot more space to move when walking around and there is more chance for it to become uncomfortable.

So I may have missed some things above. Overall, I do not feel much pain - just the tingling. I had a die inserted in to my veins a long time ago to look for leaks and nothing was found. Years ago, most cases were diagnosed as 'in the head.' This is not the case anymore and my guess is that most of you on here have a physiological issue that will not go away by not thinking about it or taking some anxiety medication. I take clonazepam because it helps with the worrying - but it won't change anything esle.

These are great posts and they have encouraged me to go back to a urologist. I still think that when they don't know - they tell you it's fine and to relax. That a load of BS and keep looking until you get some real answers. I still am - without any luck so far, but I hope to find some soon.
I have not forgotten about this thread everyone and should have an update for you all soon. Just remember, this condition, while annoying and uncomfortable, is not life threatening. Dont let it rule your lives, or make you not live to the fullest. That is the WORST thing to do, and I let it happen for much too long.
do those of you with this problem get night time or morning erections? I do not and this is another sign that it is a physical problem because your mind/body are relaed at night. If you are getting morning erections, your problems are probably in the head - if not, then they are probably a more physiological issue.
I expierence morning erections sometimes, it may be a good sign, I have no problems to get a hard on either and my penis hasn't reduced any size and my erection quality are as good as before this occured.... but everyone should see what "Seeking_the_answer" have written, he said that he had a disc herniaton which was squishing a bundle of nerve roots... well in my case I think I have the same problem, my legs has lost sensation, I sometimes feel pain in my legs and I think my back is the problem... I think it's wierd that we have a condition that no one knows about... it could be such a easy thing as a disc herniaton, im not sure, but it could be a possibility for some though.

I get morning wood all the time. No problem getting it up or performance.

I also have back problem which originates @ the small of my back and radiates pain down my legs.
Check it up, im sure thats the problem
I am a 25 yr. old male with a problem similar to what I have seen posted on other forums on this website. The problem is a FLACCID penis that is hard and has gotten smaller. I have had this problem since the age of 19. I don't know how it occurred but one day after masterbating (masturbating) it started to retract and tighten up and get real small while in the flaccid state. It eventually stretched back out but since then it has been in a similar state where it is hard while flaccid. It is very uncomfortable and is only relieved by massaging it as if it gets the blood flowing again. Doing this or having an erection is the only time I don't feel the discomfort. As of recently (within the last 7 months) I started to get pain on the lower left side of my penis. The pain is off and on, but it along with the discomfort have been bothering me. I have also noticed for years now what appears to be what looks like several thin scars on the sides of my penis under the skin. I can see these "scars" through the skin the same way you can see veins under your skin. I don't know if this is what is causing the discomfort, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is. I have seen two different urologist. One said he thought he felt something and suggested it was peyronies disease and there was nothing to worry about. The other said he felt nothing and said to try Vitamin E. The problem is I don't have any bending of my penis during erections and the scar tissue that makes peyronies occur is not like what appears underneath my skin. I believe I have what is being discussed on other forums about an un-natural "hard" flaccid penis. The best way to describe it is like the way the penis responds when it is cold outside or the way it gets when you come out of a swimming pool. It is like this 24/7 though even when its hot outside. Some of these other forums have suggested a blood flow issue/circulation issue in the penis. I have even read suggestions of a possible small hernia in the penis that could be causing blood flow issues in the flaccid state. The other thing is I still have "wet dreams" even at age 25. I don't know if the two problems are related. My other medical history includes lower abdominal pain/nausea. I have this 24/7 as well and it has been occurring since the penis problems have occurred. Doctors have said the abdominal pain could be irritable bowel syndrome. The abdominal pain usually is worse after I have wet dreams, so it leads me to think the two problems may be related. My penis feels as though it is being squeezed by a clamp when it is in this "hard" flaccid state. It is not like it use to be when it was flaccid. It use to be loose and spongy, in other words.......normal. No urologist seems to know the answer to this condition and it negatively affects my life everyday. It is NOT psychological either. Your mind doesn't just come up with things like this out of nowhere. Whether or not this problem is related to my stomach problems I do not know. Doctors have said pysiologically they can't be. But the time frame that they both started occurring has lead me to think they are related. The abdominal pain has been ruled out as not anything serious, although I am still getting medical evaluations because it bothers me severely. Please help with any info to what this is. Also, to anyone who knows about these so called "blood flow/circulation issues" and penis "hernias," can you give any info to how to correct these problems (surgery?). I have not had any penis ultrasound or x-ray. The last urologist I saw said there was no such thing for the penis to be x-rayed.
your symptoms sound similar to what others here have been reporting. Sadly, none of us have found a conclusive "answer" yet. Your urologist was correct in that a penis XRAY is basically unheard of, but an ultrasound is not. If you have insurance, I strongly urge you to push the issue further with your doctor rather than taking his/her word for it that its all in your head. Even if it was, and its not, its YOUR body and you deserve to feel comfortable in your own skin.
How is it going? I think im gonna check up my back soon, but the best thing would be to get an MRI done, but I think they only scan you with a MRI when the suggest to get a surgery done... im getting so tired of this right now it feels like I can't live my life as before.. its terrible, I get panic attacks and are seriously depressed sometimes..
Well I recently had a few panic attacks crying alot and thinking about it (Yes, I'm pretty anxious about stuff like this normally).

A few days ago at night my penis went really hard and cold at the tip, I don't know why!
So the last days I have had a cold penis once in a while and the sensivity in my glans (glands) is kind of reduced.

I feel helpless... My brother had alot of sexual problems after abusing drugs and recommended www.drlin.net for herbal supplements?

Anyone tried this? Since im not 16 I won't try anything like this before I am 18.

I am going to try omega-3 twice a day and evening primrose oil aswell. The banana thin I read about doesnt seem to work, well not alot!

I would like those with MSN messenger to PM me so we can stick together and talk when needed, it would be great since nobody else would understand what its like.

Yes i know it sounds weird but come on its pretty upsetting!
None of us think youre weird, this would upset any sane man!
Yes, especially when it gets hard on the shaft and i loose all the sensivity in my glans (glands) as it gets cold. This happened one night and the day after i had a very soft erection I thought something was damaged but a few days after everything seemed to be alright.

Its like your body does psychological terror against you. But I'm fine now, I'm just looking at the bright side that my erection is fine and that actually 50% of the time my penis seems to be rather soft when flaccid which didnt occour before. Maybe an improvement but who knows it might turn back.
I know exactly how you feel, but yes it's good that you look on the bright side.. one day it will be 100% good, everything solves with time or with another solution, my penis works much more fine now than before, its not that worse i once thought I dont know if my body have done any improvements but it feels better.
Great! I ejaculated like an hour ago and now its a bit harder but it had a period of three days where it was kind of normal like 60% of the time. But its not really too bad. Its just that it worries me a little. Got MSN or something? PM me your adress so we can talk, this is actually to anyone with the problem, its important just to share it when its needed.

Its cool that everyone is posting their comments, However, we are not generally providing too useful info... its like, blah blah blah, my simptoms, be strong, it will get better, I am going to a doctor, etc type information, its structurally circular and says nothing. I told people take multi vits/Omega because its pragmatic information, it has helped me and I hope it will help you... I posted my symptoms hoping someone who has had similar ones did something about it and made it better. I think people need to post their symptoms and state things that have helped them if they can give medical advice/lifestyle, because I/we need it badly. Simply put... it would be nice if this forum gave some informative useful information. If I want to see a shrink/therapist I will call one, im here for real advice.

I will start/do my best, I think this might actually help you:

One thing I have noticed is eating organic/foods that regulate cholestoral/cardio vascular health/ vein health has helped. Like whole wheat organic flour, organic vegetables, Organic probiotic yogurt with organic strawberry jam sweetened with grape juice instead of sugar. Lots of water.Organic equals less hormones, chemicals, etc in your food. Not masturbating, excersizing, not only not smoking cigs/marijuana but also staying out of rooms where there is second hand smoke, sleeping well, living less stressed out, trying to avoid exposure to radiation (microwave/cellphones/laptops too close to testicles, etc) not binge eating/drinking, taking omega 3's/multi vitamin daily. I think all these have helped my sex drive/relationship with my girlfriend. I actually have regained some of my sex drive in some areas however feel it has gotten worse in others. My problems nevertheless persist prominantly, this isnt really medical advice, its just health advice, but its GOOD health advice that DOES help.

Anyone who has more GOOD advice to contribute to this, or medical advice, it is appreciated. I would love to find some end all solution. Lets try to keep it useful, if you want to talk on msn badger post an account name or something, im 22, have had my problems since I was 17, I can help you, but I also NEED help. I dont need to know when people ejaculated, congrats but talk to a shrink about it.

Good Luck everyone, gimmie some real advice, thats what we are all here for after all...

Anyone else got good advice, I would love either MEDICAL advice or even good lifestyle advice I guess.  
Blood flow, hormones and sperm count/health I think are the three big ones that people need to ensure stay in good health if they anticipate good penile function or even to keep it from getting worse. I know this from experience. If you eat MC dicks, MC flurries, drink, are around cigs/pot/any drugs, sleep ******, etc any of these things will hurt all the big 3. One problem is a lot of peopel think... im around it less, im doing it less, etc and think that they will therefore get better. Im saying, dont do it at all because any will only make things worse.  
Im trying to project... eat a balanced healthy diet, find healthy alternatives, eating some deserts in moderation is fine but any moderate marijuana use or moderate being around cigarettes is horrible to your sexual health, period. If we are to get any better without a medical breakthrough a certain degree of paranoia is imperative. Without it--proper will power--you have as much youself to blame for your problem as your problem itself.      
that last sentence sounded cool but its so true, it was some fcking advice people
Yep, anyone with MSN messenger? PM ME!!!!!
PM you, I dont know what that means dude....
man, i have the same problem.It started when i was wrestling and i dont no why but it was hard but small. Im very active and used to do football and wrestling in highschool, this has been bothering me for 2 yrs now and im 18.
My penis is
-hard when flaccid, and shrinks to like two inches
-it sticks out a little when flaccid too
It also shrinks a lot when i work out, espicially like intense cardio and stuff.
Everythings normal when erct, but when its flaccid it sticks threw my pants sometimes and its embarrising.
Oh ya i DO have varicocele veins on my scrotum is that normal or should i see a doc? is that whats causing my penis to shrink and get hard? Tx so much guys!
Private message that is, sorry for using words like that. Well, I don't want to give out my MSN account so everyone can see it here when they search it lol. So a private message would definitly be great.

Back to the problem, I feel that I've got one big vein on each side of my testicles but if they are varicoceles I don't know. I'll check with a urologist soon. It is not visible but i suspect it since my balls seem to firm up after I've been 'playing' with my penis to soften it up and when the balls get firm my penis is filled with blood and gets hard again.

If I have varicocele I'm starting to believe it might be the issue here. Anyone had varicocele treatments?
Check up the varicocele, if they are not harmful it might be worth to check up your back?
Has anyone had a penis ultrasound that has shown the cause of this problem and more importantly a solution? To me it sounds like surgury is the only option, not any drugs that the doctors love to give out like candy.
Im not a doctor or so, but I think in my case this is nerve related, not that the nerves in the penis are damaged, but I think my nerves in the back compresses by the spinal discs....
I like gunhawg's question, anyone have any solutions to these problems where exhibiting
I guess not since its been like a week... ok then, lets go back to listing off a d-umb a-s-s list of all the stupid a-s-s symptoms we are experiencing without giving any useful information what so ever.... who wants to go first
Where is your useful info?
I wrote a couple things I've done that have helped lessen the problem. However, I dont have any great solutions myself. I just which that among like 50 peoples who have posted on this site there was like... one.
You may have to frequent the page more than once a month to find a good answer. And I think your last sentence was supposed to say that you "WISH" among the 50 people,etc.

Proper sentence structure/grammar will get you far.
I had MRIs of head, spline and pelvis. also US 3 times to make sure.
no results at all.. there seems to be everything fine.
No varoceles. hormones normal. cholesterin a little bit to high, but
nothing to worry about.
I even got my bowel checked..All they find (with US) was a realy very slighly bigger prostate. On MRI later it looked quite normal.

It might still be some kind of thrombosis of the smalles vessels in the penis. u cant see them on mri angiography.
At the moment they are checking my blood for sth like sickle cell disease. or ther thrombosis like stuff.

I also take alpha blockers, which kind of make it retract less often.
It helps to deal with it, but it doesnt solve the hole problem

What i didnt had is doppler US and also SKIT/SKAT (because i am kind of afraid of that..). Did anyone have that done?  

I just googlet a little bit and found out, that
there is maybe something similar in hands and feet, which
in some cases can also apear in the penis. its called

RAYNAUD’S PHENOMENON (OF THE PENIS)
unfortunally i did not menage to access the publication.
If anyone can, please let me know.

It seems to be often connected with migraine headaches,
which at least i suffer from too..
I too am having similar problems. Let me preface the events. About 4 months ago I was masturbating for the the first time in a few months. It was prolonged over the span of several hours. I did not end up ejaculating. An hour or so later I peed and noticed my penis was a little swollen and still 3 quarters errect. I went to the er and was given an injection to bring it down. Things were almost back to normal. Here are my symptoms: My flaccid penis feels cold most of the time , is thicker, more full, the shaft does not react to cold, my spontaneous errections are gone, morning errections are gone, I can get errect with visual stimulation and it stays, but it seems i have lost a little hardness and my errect penis is slightly pulling to the left side. Warmth makes it feel better. I am taking vitamin E and prosta soy health. I thought perhaps it was a circulation problem and started taking ginkobo which made my penis more firm feeling. Masturbation seems to irritate my penis although i can still orgasm and ejaculate. There is some pain afterwards. Now there is pain most of the time in the form of a s dull consistent ache. Occasionally there is pain in the left testicle. I have had no other history of trauma no stds, nor have i ever had sex. I did jolt my neck playing football about a week before i masturbated. I went to a specialist who did an ultra sound and blood work. No blood abnormalities, and the ultra sound ruled out blood clot or scar tissue. I still fell different down there, and wish things would get back to normal. Other difficulties, cold feet, and painful bowel movements. I thought that the problem may have been priapism but i had no pain associated with it not was i text book errect fully. Plus the ultra sound did not show any blood flow problems or trapped blood. My specialist ruled out peyriones disease because of lack of fibrous tissue on the ultrasound, and he examined the skin and glans (glands). I get married in a few months and I am considering going back for more answers. I wonder if another injection will return my penis to normal.
I have the same problem.
Two years ago, an innocuous 'pop' followed by an immediate and terrifying retraction as described.
Doctors have no answer, I wish someone could help as slowly but surely it seems to be atrophying.
This has ruined my life.
What sort of evaluations/tests have you had done?
Lot of things are done by all of you and we hardly find any solution.Now after all this when prognosis is not known why not research on Urine therapy, hydro therapy.plenty of websites are available.
Most likely techniques come to my mind are as follows.
Hip-bath.hips thighs and navel is under water.Legs  and uppper body remiains dry.Special tubs are available or one can arrange in the usual tub.
Penis Bath.: here one stretches the foreskin and poures water(normal Temp.) on the stretched part for 10 to 15 minutes a day.More search will be required to select the techniques.There is no side effects and may give some benefit. One can also visit Kegel Exercises to learn something about genital disorder. thanks.
On the above posting, i have referred to penis bath.If one is circumsized, he can pat with a cloth dripping water on the Perenium- a small triangular muscle between scrotum and anus.Massaging this small muscled is also a good.It may help one in in numeral ways.
Many people get this hard flaccid penis for various reasons:

http://repositories.cdlib.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3908&context=postprints

http://www.nature.com/ncpuro/journal/v1/n1/full/ncpuro0022.html#t1

According to the world's leading urologist, Dr. Tom Lue, it seems as though a combination of pentoxyfilline, sildenafil, and arginine are the drugs of choice.
I have had the Doppler ultrasound which indicated bruising and fluid, but seemingly nothing more serious than that. This problem seems to be almost an epidemic recently.

People will offer well intentioned advice like bathing in warm water, herbal tea, drugs etc, but this advice fails to take into account the fact that in all cases this flaccid firmness came about instantaneously, therefore indicating something that may require more direct action.

I feel that I have been affected the worst, erections are hard to come by and feel 'brittle', and my member no longer feels like part of my body, with a tight rubbery feel. Coldness is also an issue and psychologically, having what amounts to a small hard Two inch flaccid penis is also pretty disturbing. It softens a little when seated but hardens again as soon as I get up. Heat helps but only temporarily. I seem to have lost a little girth as well, but am in denial about it and trust that It's just temporary due to the diminished blood flow

I have corresponded with Dr Lue, but didn't get much info from him other than him mentioning that he came across the problem a few times before. I'm sure he's very busy.

And again I find another person with similar symptoms who either the doctor's deem there is nothing wrong with, or can find no explanation. The doctor's would care alot more if it was happening to them, as the psychological aspects of this condition are horrible for a man.

Can I ask, do you have any signs of an hourglass shape of the shaft at all? Any discoloration?
Ask away....
Regarding the hourglass shape, that is what I mean by loss of girth, first one side, and now the other seems to be slowly 'caving in'. Do you know what this is down to? I read that it may be a symptom of peyronies.

I suffered no injury to the actual shaft, just a small click at the base a year and a half ago as I said. No apparent discolouration. The glans (glands) doesn't always fill up with the rest of the penis either. There is a tightness in both states that is very uncomfortable and when rigid I feel It's close to snapping off at the base. My perinium is also less spongy than before.

I also seem to feel a cord like tendon on each side of the corpus spongosium vein and one running along the top?

I haven't a clue what to do, I've seen several doctors and get absolutely nowhere.
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been to post on this board, I lost the bookmark, but found it and wanted to post after the holiday season. I haven't found out any good news in finding a cure. I've been to a few urologists and have only been told that I have no scar tissue and that it's "normal"  About 6 months ago though, I must have been damaged a nerve since I lost alot of sensitivity on my penis. I have trouble feeling hot and cold on some areas, but I can feel friction on them. I went to see a urologist also about this and after his evaluation told me that I had a prostate infection and prescribed meds, and that since I don't remember suffering from any sharp pain or swelling, that I couldn't have damaged a nerve. I now realize that damage must have occured and after 2 months of taking vitamin E and ibuprofen the nerves still have not healed. I will be visiting ANOTHER urologist to get his opinion on this matter in the next few weeks. I was wondering, has anyone else experienced any nerve damage or loss of sensitivity?
Rikos - I hear you on the tightness feeling around the groin, I get the EXACT same sensation. Ive never felt it would "snap off" , my fear stems from it completely retracting into my abdomen. Wouldnt that make a great dinner conversation?

Nikon2K8 - I too have lost a ton of sensitivity in the area. After sex, it feels like its not even a peice of me, it is so numb. I try to tell people that it shrinks abnormally after any sort of phsycial activity, and the tell me its normal. Yes, to some degree it is normal, but you shouldnt feel wildly uncomfortable after 2 minutes on a treadmill. I am so sick of this.
I know what you  mean! I used to Run about 5 times a week prior to this happening and also used to work out religiously. This completely destroyed me wanting to continue that schedule. Running is so uncomfortable that instead of 45 minutes I no longer even run. I've tried working out again, for a few months but I can't ignore the feeling and the retraction that I've given up any vigorous activities that make the problem seem to worsen and uncomfortable. Whenever I run my penis becomes very cold as well. My feelings of anxiety and slight depression about this problem  have turned to anger since I thought I was the only one who was suffering something like this yet that is not the case and we all get basically the same answers when we ask our urologists what is wrong. I think when I talk to the next Urologist I'm going to notify him of this site and the number of us that are going through this problem. This is not a "normal" thing.
I was wondering does anyone have release of the retraction when you are doing activities like watching a movie, or laying down. It seems that my penis will release back to normal if I am in a comfortable position for a little bit. But like clockwork every morning, as soon as I get undressed and get ready to hop in the shower, I will watch it retract before my eyes and I can't do anything to stop it. Has anyone noticed a period of time when the problem was less severe?
Something I do when feeling particularly uncomfortable is to put a small throw pillow just under my buttocks when lying down , so that its pushing up on my genitals. Seems to relax the area.

That is a good idea notifying your doctor about this site, hopefully he is open minded as I have found most doctors arent.

Do you also get the retraction when dealing with something stressful? Like, for example, anything that gets your heart racing but isnt necessarily physical, like, getting notified your boss wants to see you in his office, or someone starting to pick a fight with you at a bar...
Yea, I think stress will affect it as well. Also, whenever I drink or get drunk it seems to happen everytime as well. See what I don't understand is why when I use the bathroom it will release and allow me to urinate, its almost like hyper-tension in the penis, and is whats causing it to retract. When I urinate and release the muscles it releases the retraction. Its very confusing as to what is causing this problem. Has anyone tried to gently massage and almost lightly stretch the penis outward away from the body while limp? I'm not talking about when you have an erection I'm talking about while the penis is flaccid. Has anyone tried to slightly stretch the penis away from the body and had any luck?
I have done no such exercises, and I recommend no one does, because the possibility for further tearing and subsequent scar tissue formation is too great. Could actually make the condition worse. The only way we are going to get this mystery solved is to find a doctor who as is interested in it as we are.
yes, enigma is right.
everybody who can do should go to a university hospital for a
checkup. i made the experience, that its more andrology then
urology in first step. They completely checked me up there.
also the professor there was involved. results where all negative.
but they want to check some books and papers.. at least they seem
to be motivated to deal with the problem.
you could also consider a neurologist.
in my oppinion (facing this problem now since a year) its
something about blood flow (ateries) or nerves, where nerves would exclude
back pains (did an mri, no back nerves are hurt)

maybe some state of high-flow-type priapism..

has anyone had a SKIT examination to check for penis ateries and blood flow?
From a previous post I took It that you had experienced the hourglass effect, did I infer correctly? This narrowing of the penis is a bummer.
Also the fact that that some of the rigidity dissipates when urinating could be a key issue.

I have posted on a website called 'thunders place' in the injury forum, you can't miss it... (although you will need to sign up), no real answers but dozens of people responded with the same complaint. My initial thread there seems to have become the net's definitive source for discussion on the subject.

Do keep us posted McPain.
This all resonates very strongly with me.
For the last few months, I have been getting this problem increasingly, in many cases exactly matching what you guys have experienced.
It would start with tingling in the penis and sometimes occasional shooting pains down there.
The penis would then retract by maybe 50% and feel hard to to the touch.  It would stay like this for most of the day usually.
As it has become more frequent, this hard flaccid penis is almost it's full time state now.  Maybe 30% of it's original size.
Erections are OK but it feels like head doesn't grow as much as the base of the penis.  Very odd indeed!
The thing that comes up again and again in this thread is the the presence of anxiety.  This is very true in my case having been through a very stresful period.  I have also noticed that this occurs after caffeine or chocolate and mainly in the morning.  A spot of googling will direct you straight to stress hormones (CORTISOL is the magic word to search for) and adrenal deficiencies.
For anyone suffering with this, get your hormone work done ASAP.  This thread has been an epithany for me, but I am 101% certain this will be anxiety related.  Thanks for all of the above who have taken the time to post.
I too have had some of the same symptoms as described. It is especially noticeable when I physically exert myself (lifting weights etc.). I have not lost any sensation, but my stuff contracts sometimes it feels like my scrotum is trying to squeeze my testes to death, or my penis is trying to hide behind my prostate. The cold does make it worse. My penis is hard and withdrawn when flaccid after my workout. I do wear tight supportive underwear to help avoid injury. My issue does not seem to be close to as severe as some that I have read above. Here is a piece of information that may help: it was made worse, or much more noticeable after a hip/groin injury. The penis tightened up and spasmed for over two weeks. As soon as this happened of course I freaked. Which led to my dive into hip and groin injuries. I read above that Enigmaman also had an injury. I read (and am working on finding the original documentation) that the injury would not even start to heal for six months to a year after the occurence. It was the beginning of excruciating pain for three months. As a side note I never thought the size of my penis could affect my self esteem the way it did. Finally one day I was talking to a co-worker swinging my leg back and forth and my hip snapped right back into place.....relief. I do not think it is completely healed though because I am still having some issues as I discussed earlier.
Here is the limited information I know: all of the tissue from the hip  to the inner part of the groin is connected. Severe trauma can cause all the tissue to swell and place pressure on the nerves of the affected area. I do not know if this will help all of you, but here is some information that I found quickly tonight: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/87895-overview. By the way I too went to the doctor explained my symptoms and got an I don't know. It was not the same insensitivity that some you have met, she recommended that if it did not get better within about two months that maybe some physical therapy may be needed. If your doctor doesn't think it needs to be pursued further think about finding a doctor that is serious about helping the patient they are out there so don't give up....any of you. Help could be the next white coat you see.
I have a thick penis so I've really never had that problem, I do know some friends who have that problem but won't see a doctor or even talk about it
You wouldnt have a thick penis if your blood flow was being impacted by some sort of hernia, or disk compression. The problem is not of small penis' retracting, the problem is with normal sized penis' drastically losing size/girth and having these problems. Please read the entire thread before posting something worthless.
Any updates on this??? How is everyone? I have similar problems..not so much retracting but it seems to get a little hard on one side and i have discomfort and tingling that i feel like i always need to mess with. Definite loss of sensation, not complete numbness.  Also weird sensations when I'm walking around. I definitely have anxiety too and the problem increases when I smoke marijuana, which made me think it was psychological.  Also I know myself to be a little bit of a hypochondriac and an obsessive compulsive
I am having a similar however it seems to me that it is causing anxiety. Doctors are telling me nothings wrong and it's just OCD causing me to panic about it.

the problem is that initially i was not worried that i did any damage at all, but I did start to have anxiety attacks about everything thinking all kinds of stuff was wrong with my body, none of which related to my junk until i realized the panics seem to have started on that day.
When i panic really bad there is often a very sharp pain that feels like its sort of deep in my groin between my balls and anus, closer to my anus.

also when i panic its as if my penis stimulates itself and the more i panic the worse it gets. afterward it feels like ive just looked at porn for a while and then decided i didnt want to masturbate, and im left constantly fighting off the thought of masturbating.
if i panic too much i end up having wet dreams because my body needs to badly to release itself.
also i sometimes i feel odd sensations in the area between my balls and anus. like quick almost-pain sensations. feels as if something is shifting.

and it does not rectract too far into my body, usually not very far at all, it just gets hard-flaccid. and i feel panicky tingles in the the back of my neck and along my arms.

once i pee and is lengthens out and softens i feel fine and not panicky or worried at all
At the Age of 20 i have just started to see these symptoms... and within a month of having it i discovered most of the things that HELPLL(((please PM ur email address to me))) have shared with us!  
I am going to try a few things and post an update. I havent been to a doctor yet, but am planing to in the near future!

People please Private Message me If you have had this problem for a while!
I hope Engima havent forgot about this thread.. I want to talk with a few of you, Cause i really want to get a solution towards this!
People with these Symptoms, Dont Feel down or Depressed.. I am confident that we can get through this. your Penis stilll Works so keep your head up it may hold you back now, but you got to get past it, get some cofidence.

GunHAwg PM me!  Engima Pm me! help11 PM me, some1

Hi yes, I've been reading all of these posts and I believe I have the same problem.  I have thin horizontal scars on the shaft where the penis eventually creases when it is "flaccid", especially at the base.  I can't remember the last time it has been completely soft.  Has anyone hear tried PABA?  I'm interested in trying it because it is supposed to heal fibrotic skin conditions like mine and many of yours.  Anyway, one thing to note: excessive alcohol consumption actually softens it up a bit, probably due to the blood being thinner.  Acetyl L-canitine is also supposed to repair nerve damage.  I'm willing to consume any supplement at this point, if anyone can say it has helped them
If you take any of those medications, please let us know how the results are!

Foods that have been helpful for me are, Onions and Watermelon.
Also Alcohol like dunebuggy said, does make it soft!

Im going to try Omega 3 since people have said it has helped a bit.

I've came up with a very random theory of what we could possibly have. Its random so bare with me, perhaps we have varicose veins around the area, tangling veins making it harder for the blood to get threw, and it eventually does.

people that have any improvements let us know.
hi everyone. im 18 and hav had this problem for about a year and a few months, i can almost remember the exact day that my love below had changed. I believe it happened when i went to a club and frreak danced very rough with a large belt buckle along with excess sagging below my waist. although i had ingested ecstasy it was a rather weak pill and i did not feel the effects. The next day i woke up and everything felt cold down there. A soreness and tenderness had taken over my lower abdomen and i noticed a slight loss of sensation at the base of my penis. Has anyone freak danced after this problem occured and noticed the tenderness of the abdomen afterward? im done doing any kind of drug that involves my penis shriveling up, and quit cigarettes. for some odd reason i feel as if when i smoke weed the tenseness loosens up and my flaccid penis seems more plump so i havent quit. drinking seems to make it worse so i have basically been off the alcohol hype for a minute. so now, a year and a few months later, this loss of sensation has progressively worked its way through out my entire genital area and i feel it has even affected my anal regions as well. I had tried to lay off of dancing, but temptations lingered and stupidly i found myself shooting myself in the foot everytime i freak danced. I wud wear no belt buckle, but still i wud wake up next morning with a disfunctional penis and a tender abdomen. the tenderness would go away and my penis would feell somewhat normal within a few days. What i now deal with is a penis that no longer feels like it is mine. When i wake up i have aat best a half chub that goes away very quickly becoming the "tense" penis you all have claimed to be experienceing. I have noticed that as the months have gone i too see the hourglass deformation. as it gets more noticeable i notice that toward the base it becomes tapered as loss of girth. the loss of girth has unveiled the veins within the base of the penis as they have become prominent. sexual experiences hav hit an all time low as i have recieved oral sex and hand jobs that felt more like they were hurting my penis and making the problem worse rather than making it feel good. Sex is hard because of the difficulties of maintaining erections which i believe is due to tha fact that i am not recieveing pleasure nearly as well as i used to. My whole life has been on hold and i cant believe doctors have no answer. I wear bigger pants now to reduce the restriction of blood flow (if that is the problem), i stay away from the pool as it constricts alot longer when i get out, and i dont exercise as it shrivels very tightly in all of these aspects of my life. I have also noticed - may or may not be related- changes in digestion in what feels like acid reflux. Bowels are different, pebble like more often now than not and the sensation of "having to go" for both peeing and bowel movements is not as alerting altho im not having trouble with controling either. sometimes it does take a long while to start peeing or start my stool move. I am angered and refuse to give in to this monstrosity. Im determined to get to the bottom of this and will be seeing a top urologist tomorrow. I have written pages of notes and takin pictures of my member to bring with me. I have shown several doctors, neurologists, urologists. The reason i bring pictures is because when i drop my garments at the docs, my penis is cold and obviously not showing the worst of the storm. I have taken a more notable picture of the hourglass shape and my urologist that i hav been following up with is now finally feeling my pain. He referred me to the top urologist at the hospital to determine where i shud go from here. I do not plan on stopping until i find a way to atleast stop this thing from getting any worse. i will try to post any liberating news that u need to hear because i kno what u all are going through.
also im noticing that sometimes my right testicle which is bigger hangs very strangely. what i mean is that it sometimes looks rotated downward or looks even backwards or like its pidgeon toed. anyone have similarities? it is not painful, nor have i felt a cancerous lump, neither has the doctor, it just looks and feels extremely unusual
My condition as described above started to occur when I had gained nearly 50 lbs in the course of a few months.  Prior to this, I had been doing jelqing/stretching exercises regularly for perhaps 4 months.  I had also had emotional trouble in relationships which made it impossible for me to achieve an erection.  All, or some of these factors perhaps compounded to create my situation.  I've lost that weight since then.  I can still get rock hard, etc. it is just extremely annoying beyond belief.  I can barely feel it when it is flaccid, and after I ejaculate my penis turns to a half hard, semi-deformed state for several hours.  After that it is mainly just retracts until only my head is visible.  VERY ANNOYING!  I do some pulling on it when it is like that and I can feel it wanting to go back to its cave when my hand is around it.  When I eventually do let go it retracts almost all the way, but is thickened up a bit, so I avoid pulling it after that.  It cannot relax to the left or right when I am lying down (for instance), instead it forms sort of a lowercase 'r' shape.  In other words, the base of the penis will not cooperate.  I am sure we have different causes for our problems, I'm leaning towards mild peyronie's for mine, although it does not hurt at all and there is no noticeable bend when fully erect.  I do (or did) have an hourglass shape to my penis at one point, and when I urinate it does seem to relax the tightness in my penis and make it more loose and soft.  It feels like a tangled maze of nerves and muscle inside my penis, and it does not feel like mine at all.  This all started over a year ago, and I hope it goes away.  I'm starting to get used to it, but it affects my body movements in an awkward attempt to minimize the awkward feeling of it.  I just started a daily regimen of PABA 1000mg time release formula; I know this amount is too small but I'm afraid of liver damage and I have gotten somewhat nauseous even from that amount.  I really would like to hear from EngimaMan on this since his symptoms seem to match more closely to mine more than any other person on this page, or the entire web for that matter.  Of course all replies are appreciated though!
Hi, I'm new here, 35 year old guy, perfectly healthy prior to now. I'm absolutely distraught about a condition which I've now had for 6-7 weeks, symptoms which are uncannily the same as many of you guys and reading the long-running threads I think I'm in for a rough ride going forwards :-
- Penis feels hard even when flaccid, hangs in a very heavy 'lead weight' style
- Shorter relaxed flaccid length (used to be ~4in, now 2in)
- All 3 of the main veins (centre and one along each side) very swollen up and feel sore (this seems to vary depending on what position I'm in - standing is worse)
- Pain where the penis attaches into the pubic bone, in fact there is a definite INDENT as though it's 'pulling itself' inside
- Feeling of muscle tightness inside, odd almost minor-spasm feelings
- If I do any exertion it's very painful hard and down to 1-2in
- I can get erections but afterwards it hurts, I've once had the gentlest possible masturbation (after a month you're exploding!), but the symptoms then got worse over following days so I'm worried I'm never gonna have a normal sex life again

This array of symptoms started with pain in rightside vein after longer sex session including quite vigorous hand stimulation for second climax. I've seen problems like this on this site and through googling led to penis enlargement forums where they stretch/milk penis and have similar problems so wondering if my 'vigorous' session has had same effect?!

Thankfully I'm insured here in UK so after seeing Docs I saw a Urology specialist and have had:-
- Physical examination (he said could feel the firmness and veins, the latter which for some people would be normal)
- Ultrasound scan both flaccid and after having Caverject which gives a massive erection (blood flow okay in erect penis) followed by a cavernoscopy which checks blood flow through
- Finally I had an MRI scan of penis and whole abdomen area.

RESULT: he says cannot find anything, no vein blockage/Mondors, no fibrous tissue/Peyronies, and no lumps, growths or anything 'in the wrong place'.  In fact he suggested I gently resume sex with my partner (but I'm scared it will worsen already worsening symptoms).  What he can't say is that although blood may be flowing in the right channels/directions, whether this has changed from my 'baseline', and if it has, it's difficult to know why or how to reverse it.

The one clue I have is that for 2-3 days following the Caverject, it felt more normal (not entirely) possibly residual good blood flow when flaccid and it hung a lot more like normal..  I've asked what meds there are which at a low level might give similar effect,  the PDE5's Viagra, Cialis etc..   but he said 'give it a few more weeks'. Anyway, I'm now insisting to my Doc to do a short trial on low dose, and asking for a second opinion.  My other theory is some kind of contracting/hardening of muscle tissue inside pubic bone, pulling the penis and constricting blood flow, both into it and out (hence swollen veins which return the blood back to body)

My wife is very supportive and we have 2 kids (at least it's served God's main purpose)  but if I were younger and single like some of you I'd seriously be on the edge  (I am anyway, as it's a man pride thing isn't it, it's like my favourite bit of my body is self-destructing on me).

I was amazed (pleased and shocked in equal measure!) to find this forum..

... BUT it gives me strength to know I'm not alone - so hang in there dudes, there HAS to be an ANSWER and a SOLUTION out there somewhere

Priapism is a rare condition that causes a persistent, and often painful, penile erection.

Description
Priapism is drug induced, injury related, or caused by disease, not sexual desire. As in a normal erection, the penis fills with blood and becomes erect. However, unlike a normal erection that dissipates after sexual activity ends, the persistent erection caused by priapism is maintained because the blood in the penile shaft does not drain. The shaft remains hard, while the tip of the penis is soft. If it is not relieved promptly, priapism can lead to permanent scarring of the penis and inability to have a normal erection.

Causes and symptoms
Priapism is caused by leukemia, sickle cell disease, or spinal cord injury. It has also been associated as a rare side effect to trazodone (Desyrel), a drug prescribed to treat depression. An overdose of self-injected chemicals to counteract impotence has also been responsible for priapism. The chemicals are directly injected into the penis, and at least a quarter of all men who have used this method of treatment for over three months develop priapism.

Diagnosis
A physical examination is needed to diagnose priapism. Further testing, including nuclear scanning or Doppler ultrasound, will diagnose the underlying cause of the condition.

Treatment
There are three methods of treatment. The most effective is the injection of medicines into the penis that allow the blood to escape. Cold packs may also be applied to alleviate the condition, but this method becomes ineffective after about eight hours. For the most serious cases and those that do not respond to the first two treatments, a needle can be used to remove the blood. The tissues may need to be flushed with saline or diluted medications by the same needle method. That failing, there are more extensive surgical procedures available. One of them shuts off much of the blood supply to the penis so that it can relax. If the problem is due to a sickle cell crisis, treatment of the crisis with oxygen or transfusion may suffice.

Prognosis
If priapism is relieved within the first 12-24 hours, there is usually no residual damage. After that, permanent impotence may result, since the high pressure in the penis compromises blood flow and leads to tissue death (infarction).

Prevention
An antineoplastic drug (hydroxyurea) may prevent future episodes of priapism for patients with sickle cell disease.
Thanks for the follow up note.

However, in my case at no stage did I have, or do I continue to have, a persistent erection (or problem losing an erection if I have one). The urologist after all the scans and examinations says there is/was no evidence of priapism or any of the 'classic' penile problems.

Note that there were no immediate symptoms until 3-4 days after a longish sex session (say 1-1.5 hours, but hardly 'unusual') when I started getting the initial ache symptom..  Everything else, the feeling of firmness when flaccid (it's most unlike an erection, hanging straight down, just feels firm and meaty and shorter - and I don't mean like when a penis contracts due to cold or anxiety, this is when I'm perfectly warm/relaxed), and the three superficial veins becoming very prominent/hard have all developed over a period of weeks...

But it definitely feels to me as though the cause is something inside my pubic bone, or the 'internal ' part of the penis, causing some kind of constriction.

Is this possible (surely an MRI scan would identify this?) and hypothetically would the effect of some constriction inside likely result in said symptoms?
Many thanks
Making a little update on PABA:  I think we don't have the same exact problems or causes which we are worried about, but I feel my penis is getting flexible and soft once again.  After an erection, the penis gets back to its (fully) flaccid state within minutes.  I feel much more comfortable now; it does seem like it might be working.  I would rule out priapism in my case because I never experienced pain down there.  Overall I think it is cooperating more and I am hopeful; I take 1.5g a day now no problems.  I read somewhere that being nervous or fearful tenses up a muscle that causes it to retract.  I think some of it might be in our head, but I don't doubt that I have some weird penile circumstance which is affecting my sex life and life in general.  I have no problems getting erect, staying erect, performing, etc. but it seriously looks like I have a quadruple chin down there or something it is really ******* annoying.  Anyway, thought I'd update, take care and hope for the best.
Buy this book!  I promise it will help

http://www.pelvicpainhelp.com/book.php
I thought i was the only person experiencing these problems. Its been going on for 10 years and started from some sort of unresolved std. i have had a lot of success with anti-inflammatory or immune enhancing supplements, potaba (prescription paba) also helped me a great deal, but the problem always returns and the supplements no longer work until i find something new. Its maddening, and many time i dont want to live like this anymore. This all started with what seemed like a basic std. It like my peinis has arthritis all the time, im suffering 24/7.
Its been a while since I have been on again. A year and a half since back surgery. I am probably 75% normal. I did have a herniated disk. I cannot say forsure that it is the answer. I do say it is worth cheching out. I feel as if I am slowly healing from this injury, but I am starting to doubt myself and get paranoid about it. I am still not normal. The psycological pain of this has really messed me up emotionally. I would advise, definately, absolutely no penal exercises plz. Sitting and relaxing definately helps, heck I cant even leave my house. I want to stay with this until we find a solution 100% to each and everyone of our problems. I think some of them may have been caused in different ways, but all the changes in state of flaccid penis have to have a common bond. I want to help you guys, I really do. If anyone wants to talk, or bounce off Ideas, msg me.
Also initially upon recognizing the symptoms I thought my tissue was torn, but everyone I talked to say that if it was tissue, it would have just healed up, like any other part of your body. I just don't know. Im sorry I don't have the answer for you guys. Hope your ok. Later.
I have the very same symptoms started a little over a week ago, I presume after a 'jelqing' injury.  I immediately stopped doing that, and have been all over the internet boards and medical forums to try and figure out the cause of this and hopefully some remedy.

Some observations:
1.  Like everyone else with this issue on here, I know my own body well enough to know it changed dramatically about a week ago, so this is definitely a physical condition.  Anyone who say otherwise has never experienced it and should thank God.
2.  This physical condition seems to be GREATLY influenced by psychological and neurological function.  More so than any other physical condition I can think of or have experienced.  I can focus my attitude on relaxation, and visibly watch my member return to normal flaccid condition like it used to be all the time.  And this completely without and erotic stimulation.  Now holding state of mind is the problem...because i have to focus on it, I obviously I can't do that all the time.  If I take my mind off of it, I relax and it is better, but the minute I begin to get anxious about it is when immediately it flares up.
3.  Normal erectile function seems intact IF other conditions subside.  After experiencing the most normal day yesterday since the initial injury, I was able to spontaneously arouse without any physical stimulation...I hadn't been able to do that previously, not because my body isn't physically able, but because the over-riding retraction, firm and flaccid condition, dull-pain, anxiety, and fear simply wouldn't allow it.  These things are the opposite of the conditions required for normal and relaxed arousal.  So, today I slipped and it was a bad day, and again no ability for arousal without something extra.  But now I am a bit less worried about ED now and more concerned with a remedy of the over-bearing symptoms which are getting in the way.

I think this issue seems to be related to possibly a couple of possibilities.  Nervous system integrity with the brain/helicine arteries.  Before the injury I always felt a 'connection' with my member and really wasn't overly aware of it because I guess it had always been there, and when it seemed to disappear I really noticed it.  So, I think the condition and symptoms of this partially or totally block this two-way communication between the brain and the penis.  The helicine arteries are one of a few parts to a very complex physiological function and an erection can't happen with them functioning.  I have morning wood still, so these are working, but I am wondering about the signals getting through to them for erotic stimulation.  The other has to do with the physiologic reaction to stress/cold, which is to shrivel up and retract the scrotum and penis.  I feel like there is something in my member pulling it inward...well, I can see that it is so why is that?  Is this a combination of nervous system/erectile function/retract function that has become imbalanced so that one is now more predominant?

I saw a study where a group of doctors did a botox injection into the muscles that contract the scrotum/penis and 7/10 had less retraction symptoms for the 6 months that the botox weakened the muscles.  Maybe this is a temporary solution?  Maybe work on physiologic ability to relax that area?  Also work on not having fearful and anxious reactions?  I don't know the answers gentlemen, just hoping to spur on some discussion and ideas.  Please comment.
It's about 3 months now since my injury which led to the firm flaccid, 'retraction' effect and associated pain/discomfort. This led to a lot of psychological distress and whether due to this extreme anxiety or the physical condition or the combination, I also then started suffering major ED where even with stimulus I could not get it more than 20% and it felt very solid/woody and painful as though the tissue had become too tough or dense for blood to get into properly.

To cut a (very) long story short, I did get onwards referred to a top Harley Street Uroandrologist (penis expert!) and have subsequently had more detailed MRI and colour doppler ultrasound scan - which have not revealed any 'macro' level damage.  What the specialists admit though is that structural damage on a 'micro' level would only show up by microscopic examination which would require a biopsy (i.e. surgical extraction samples out of your penis - not something to be entered into lightly) - and he strongly recommended a medication-based, not surgical approach.

As a result I have been on a combination of drugs for the past month or so:  Xatral XL (a slow release anti adragenic agent which basically relaxes muscles and blood vessels in that general area - often used for chronic prostatitis), daily low dose 2.5mg Cialis to promote erectile activity, and amitriptyline to offset anxiety, help me sleep and it also has pain relieving properties.

After about a week on this I noticed an improvement and although the flaccid firmness is still there, things are 'hanging' a bit more natural and I am now getting morning wood and erections on demand - the first few I got (having not had any proper ones for weeks) were painful and it did feel as though there was a process of 'flushing' the system and getting the blood vessels working properly again. I think an improvement in my mental state and getting better sleep and the associated increased ability to relax is helping too. Things are still not normal, but the pain, ED and very retracted state I had are now under control - whether I can come off the meds at some stage without it reverting I don't know.

I hope this is possibly of use to some of you. I have felt on the edge of a massive precipice with this and know how you feel (you cannot understate as a man how much your **** affects your whole self-belief and body image as a man and there were times when I genuinely felt I would never have sex again - or even lose the little chap altogether - seriously!) but I seem to have found something which has improved the situation a little for me at least and I kind of feel probably 70% normal.

Everyone please keep strong and have hope, and keep contributiing your experiences to this forum and any knowledge you get - there has to be an explanation for what causes this and what (if anything) can cure/minimise it.

Take care
BB

I just posted in another related thread on this site, here is an excerpt:

I think Urologists are too narrow a specialty to shed much light on this...I believe it is some neurological/sympathetic nervous system automatic response.  I think maybe the field of Neurology will be a better pathway to an answers/solutions.

Definitely a physical condition that started with me, but is influenced mostly by stress/anxiety/physical exertion/adrenaline...not caused by it, but exacerbated by it.  Anyone know a doctor or researcher in the neurology field who might be interested in taking this up?

Please post your thoughts...
what side effects are you experiencing from the Xatral XL? retrograde ejaculation?
It's low dose Xatral I'm on (10mg one a day), the XL meaning it's slow-release through day so it's low level.
Ejaculation fluid, without studying it too much (!), looks normal in volume/colour so I don't think I'm getting 'retrograde', I've heard this can be like your firing blanks but more likely on higher dose or the non-slow release version.  There were other side effects when I started though - for 24hrs felt like had a hangover with it, a bit 'fuzzy headed' but from 2nd day onwards not really aware i'm on it.
But it does feel beneficial as it let's things feel relaxed and a bit more loose down there and feels like blood circulation is better.
i've been watching this thread for a few months now, i believe i have the same problem you all talk about and for me it's been about 3 years now. about a month ago, after a recommendation in this thread, i started taking omega 3 capsules every day. i saw an almost instantaneous positive effect, it just seemed to relax everything down there. i'm not fixed, not by a long shot, but i'm wondering - what's wrong with my body that omega 3 benefits? do i have some kind of omega 3 deficiancy? i'd like to hear some feedback from other people who started with omega 3, or encourage anyone who hasn't tried it yet to try and then post back.
cheers
thanks for the interesting posting, reFaN!

i just found out, that the  prostaglandins E-1/E-3 production mechanism is
reduced in case of lipid metabolism dysfunctions.
E-2 will never the less be produced normally. (wikipedia)

Well for my case, the doctors just found out that i have such a dysfunction
that results in a high cholesterol level. (which i think, quite many people have)

Might it be that there is a relation?
A related discussion, test was started.
A related discussion, Continuation of 'Penis hard when flaccid' thread... was started.
Hello everyone,
I have been making detailed notes, documenting and recording mine and others symptoms for about 2 months now and reading these forums, comparing everything.  Here is what I have:

Can anyone relate to all or most of these points?

1. Great variations in size, texture, feeling:

- 25-50% of the time is loose, normal size
- Sometimes light-weight sorta like it has an internal sponge cake texture or filling.  Has a basic structure and shape, almost 'normal.'
- Sometimes engorged with blood, very heavy, lead weight.  No structure, plump, very dead-like.
- Sometimes takes on a weird 'coke bottle' shape.  Like a band is restricting around the middle, while full and plump near the glans (glands).
- Sometimes after the firm-flaccid condition 'releases' for a bit, there is itching on the left and right penile shaft.  This can be a symptom of varicose vein formation.

- 50-100% of the time very firm or hard, while retracted to less than normal flaccid length.
- Varicose and/or spider veins forming.
- A 1/2" 'dimple' forming on the fatty pad of the groin, right where the shaft connects.
- A feeling of the penis being 'pulled' in.
- A 'brittle' or' shell-shocked' feeling in the penis when this has persisted for a day or two.
- Visible stress to skin, wrinkling, color spots, redness, irritation, etc.

2.  A common complaint is left-side veins 'popping' out or becoming much more prominent, also sometimes accompanied by some pain.  I've heard some complain of right-side issues, but I personally have not had much of an issue with that side.

3.  Shorter length.
- Usually nocturnal erections are normal length, and sometimes spontaneous are normal length, but many times, especially when other symptoms are present it can be difficult to get to full-length erection...and doing so usually results in some irritation and/or pain afterward.

4. Nocturnal erections variations
- Sometimes no nocturnal erections.
- Sometimes weak nocturnal erections.  Not fully rigid.
- Sometimes 'stuck' nocturnal erections that won't go down unless you get up and move around.  I am plagued with this about 30-40% of nights...having to get up every couple of hours and make it go down so a priapism doesn't occur.  Otherwise it's irritated the next day.  I take aspirin for this to prevent inflammation or scarring.

Ok, well I have seen 2 doctors so far and am going to another after Christmas (an andrologist).  I have formulated some ideas, and am looking for input or to get the message out there about this condition.  Urology doesn't seem to have any diagnosis for this, but perhaps we can change that, or perhaps the field of Andrology (erection doctor) can take up the issue.

Here are my ideas:

1.  Veins are not actually 'popping' out on left side, or growing larger (at least not without being compressed first).  They are showing up in relief of the pressure around them - of the skin being drawn up.  The veins haven't changed, the skin has been drawn tight around them...like when you take something and put in a vacuum bag and remove the air.  It forms a surface that follows the contents exactly.

2.  Physiological influence has greatly increased it's effects on these symptoms.  Particularly the release of natural adrenaline, noradrenaline, and other psychosomatic stress hormones in the body, etc.  I don't think anyone disagrees that stress and other physical exertion has a big effect on this, but in this case only makes it worse.  It is not the cause of it.  Stress and adrenaline are normal effects in the body, but the result of whatever caused this injury shows up now, with this as its trigger in part.  Before this condition existed, it simply didn't exert change on the penis that much before, so nobody noticed it that much.  I think everyone can probably relate to stress causing an erectile issue, but it is usually short-lived...not persistent.

3.  Varicose or darkening (spider) veins appear when blood flow is reduced or their flow mechanism is interrupted.  Veins have built-in receptors that control constriction, dilation, and flow direction.

4.  Adrenaline and noradrenaline (norepinephrine) both cause smooth muscle contraction, vascular constriction, increased heart-rate, etc.  Working out, getting stressed, etc. is a major contributor to this condition.

5.  Abstaining from sexual activity generally improves my symptoms.  I had to g around and around with this one because there was some conflicting data.  Getting a full erection seems to help...especially when it has lots of time to get to that full size, like at night.  However, I have also noted with regularity that ejaculation can cause an immediate onset of the firm and flaccid condition, even when it wasn't present prior to the event.  Repeated ejaculation in a short time frame magnifies this.

6.  The ejaculation mechanism releases noradrenaline locally to trigger orgasm, and is the reason why a man goes flaccid immediately after sex.  This hormone causes smooth muscle contraction and vascular resistance.  This normally fades away in a few minute to a few hours, but with this condition it persists for even a day or several days.

So, I have come to at least one conclusion...maybe not a cure, but at least some clues as to what this is occurring.  Please don't take my word for it, I only offer as a suggestion and it could be wrong...however maybe it has some merit and somebody can get this condition noticed.

So far, my idea of this is that I tend to think at the heart of this is a circulation issue which leaves the penis abnormally exposed to what normally is the usual hormone function of the sympathetic nervous system and sexual function.
Pinjured_Too, I have experienced an alarming number of your symptoms.  Specifically:

-Variable penis texture and weight (flaccid+firm vs. lighter-than-normal vs. almost normal, etc.).
-Occasional itching on the left and right side, near the base.
-More visible veins throughout the penis.
-Left-side vein prominence.  One left-side vein is much darker than I remember, and stands out the most amongst the aforementioned prominent veins.  In conjunction with this, I occasionally feel a sharp pain on the left-side of my penis that extends to a point left of my anus and within my body slightly.  This pain lasts only a second or two.  I have some fibrous tissue on the left side (which has been there for years), so there may be a link there.
-Penile skin texture variability.  Generally, the skin on my shaft feels looser than normal (reduced elasticity) which I attributed to the abnormally firm corpora cavernosa underneath.  The loose skin symptom did not present itself at the outset of this condition - it came maybe a month into it.  Sometimes the skin also feels cold and clammy.
-Nocturnal erection variations.

In addition, I have these symptoms:

-Reduced sensitivity on the shaft and head, especially when in the firm+flaccid state.
-Reduced libido, which may be a side-effect rather than a cause.
-Reduced energy, depression; again, possibly side-effects.
-Colder penis temperature and lighter glans (glands) color, also when in the firm+flaccid state.  When erect, or after taking a warm bath, the reddish/purple color returns to the glans (glands).
-Hemorrhoids, which may or may not have been present when the penile symptoms started.
-Back pain in the lower-left thoracic region.
-More flatulence than usual.
-Pain in the perineum - possibly related to hemorrhoids.

This all started 2 months ago when I woke up in the middle of the night with a numb, engorged, but flaccid penis.  Since then, essentially all of the symptoms have been variable, with periods where I almost felt back to normal.

Here is what I have essentially ruled out at this point, through doctor's visits and blood tests:

-Thyroid problems
-Diabetes

I had a prostate exam that was normal, but I still haven't ruled that out as a cause.  I have an upcoming appointment with an osteopath, to discuss any potential link between my back and these problems (though both a chiropractor and physical therapist did not think a link was likely).  I'm also planning to see a neurologist asap.  I've already seen a urologist, but they didn't have a diagnosis.

I'll post as I learn more.  Let me know if you figure out anything else regarding adrenal function.
Hi guys,

Similar problem here. Had it about 4 years now. It doesn't seem to get any worse- so maybe that's a blessing.
I think mine possibly came from injury too...football...
Ive taken marijuana, but hadnt had any for about 9 years when i first noticed the problem..also had a pretty crap diet when i first went down with it...possibly connected?
I have the enlarged veins- but no scrotum abnormalities.
I also have the lower back pains (im 6'3") and occassionally tingly legs and numbness in my thigh. I did think about sciatica....

I can report that ive tried viagra and it does get around the 60% erection problem that id normally have without it. I can pretty much get back to where I used to be....
I also get stronger morning erections if ive taken viagra the night before....

But not without it.
Would be great to hear from any of you if you have any other ideas?
I hope that adds something to the discussion.
Hey man,

I can definitely tell you marijuana had nothing to do with this.

It's good to hear that Viagra gets you back to 100%. I just wanted to ask you how often you rely on Viagra for this? and have you experienced any side effects?

I'm going to start experiementing with supplements and then probably move to alpha blockers and viagra. Just want to know how dependant on this I could be and what the side effects are like.
just to say, I've tried every supplement and herbal product, nothing makes any difference. Only the alpha blockers do anything for me.
UPDATE! MAYBE THIS WILL WORK FOR YOU
After several months I now feel I've got back to 95% normal in terms of flaccid consistency and size, and erectile/sexual function.
It's been a long journey and I've used quite a combination of meds:-
- Xatral/alpha blocker (10mg daily)- to relax muscles and veins down there
- Cialis (lwo dose 2.5mg daily) - to promote regular erections
- L-Arginine - precursor amino acid to help erections
- Tribulus - to promote testosterone production
- Zinc - also promotes testosterone
- Regular warm wraps (e.g. rice sock, hot water bottle)

My strategy has been to get as many normal erections as possible, but at the same time to limit actual sexual activity and in particular limiting ejaculation to only once a week.  By limiting sex and at the same time taking various supplements which boost testosterone and help erections, so if you can get back into feeling horny (I'd lost the ability for at least 3-4 months) it seems to give life back to the old fella and the positive changes have followed on for me.  I now have no adverse after effects following sex/masturbation (before it caused worse symptoms for up to a week). I've also really limited alcohol intake and spicy/hot food over this period as I found that these seemed to make things worse the day after ... but now these don't seem to affect it any more (hurrah!)

I think for me at least, the solution was to ensure as much 'regular function', i.e. getting good blood flow through and getting natural hormones helping the process. Needless to say, after such terrible experience where at various points I was completely freaked out, I am now much more relaxed (which in itself helps) but taking a lot more care of my unit in future!

I hope this helps you guys anyway and best of luck in getting back to normality.
Cheers
B
BritBloke, congrats man! Hope all stays well for you! Your post is great news for many of us.

If you don't mind, could you please go into more details about your journey. Which meds do you think helped the most and which the least? What combination do you recommend? how often and for how long?

Were you consistent with sex/ejaculation once a week or did you cheat sometimes? When did you first start feeling erections again?

I am just starting out on the same path that you took, and your advice will greatly be appreciated.

Again, thanks and best of wishes.
Hey guys,

I'm from Germany so don't deal too severely with me if my words are not that clear to you ;-)

I don't want to list my symptoms because I would only repeat anything already written in here. I've read the whole thread and it was very interesting. I'm glad finding this forum - in German-speaking communities you cannot find so much about this problem. A fate which can be easily described statistically *g

Anyway....I'm not a doctor but as a natural scientist I hope I can see things in the right light. I've read so many interesting things in here. There are diets which helped person 1 perfectly but failed completely for person 2 - doctors did not find any physiological problems and so on.....

What we should concentrate on is an important fact: Our main symptoms did not evolved but appeared rapidly. This means that we can almost exclude food/lifestyle related things. In case of ED, urologists often use this information to differentiate between physical and psychological causes and I am the opinion that our problem is mostly of psychological origin. Stress and anxiety can easisly cause pelvic tension which and our symptoms are a secondary effect. Every person has got its personal psychosomatic Achilles heel and this may be ours.

Now let me explain why I think so:
Some of you wrote things like
- "When I urinate and release the muscles it releases the retraction."
- "once i pee and is lengthens out and softens i feel fine and not panicky or worried at all"
- "Only the alpha blockers do anything for me."
etc.

I guess that 'muscle tension' is a good description for all of that.

Furthermore I will tell you my story: My physiological problems are so flamboyantly related to matters with my new girlfriend that I don't really believe that they are physiological. More exactly I have a subconcious fear of loss of her. I am convinced in that because years ago I developed a phobia which made it impossible having a relationship with a women. A psychotherapy brought my anxiety to light and the phobia was defeated.
In moments we are together and she does/says things which make me feel comfortable that I am part of her future my symptoms are better up to completely gone. This lasts the following day but come back afterwards. I hope that the symptoms will go away in a few weeks when we adapted to each other. If she would dump me, the symptoms would last 2 weeks and then they are gone I think. I know this because she did once a few months ago ;-)
Nevertheless I have an appointment at a urologist just to make sure that there is no physiological problem and to verify my hypothesis. If the problem persists I will try to learn some relaxing strategies like autogenic training, Feldenkrais of special gym to relax the pelvic base.

To condense my words, in my opinion I and some of you here suffer from chronic pelvic tension. It must not be due to psychological reasons but it may be.
That just my personal opinion. Please tell me what you think about it!

Cheers
After reading most all of these posts I find myself in tears.  My son is 23 yrs. old and has been experiencing most all of your same symptoms.  Started about 6 months ago, and we have been to many doctors, including a urologist, but no one can give us an answer or hope.  He is now having feelings of suicide, says the doctors can't help and he can't continue to live with this.  Was at the ER last night, again all blood work and urine came back negative.  Made another appointment this morning with another urologist, can't get in until mid March.  I don't dare tell him this yet for fear of what it will do to his mental state.  
His symptoms include:
feeling of shrinkage but at the same time feeling his penis is hard
problems in urinating
very sensitive penis head
feeling that his penis has no blood flow
numbness in his penis
not able to achieve an erection

He is having major anxiety during this and the symptoms are becoming more frequent.
It is killing me, as his mother, not to be able to help get him find the help that he needs! On top of all this, he just graduated from college, now has no job or health insurance.  I was able to purchase a short term policy for major medical, but this is now considered a "pre existing" condition - so no coverage.

Suggestions?
hi everyone. i ve been reading about this problem for last 6 months and i ve never found any real photos of such condition. so shortly i ll show u photos of my "problems" and would be glad if someone could tell me smthing about it or if someone has the same problem.just tell me if it looks like those photos i ve made.

my main symptoms are: when i was 17 years my foreskin was pulled back and uncovered whole head of penis for the first time. since then i started to feel something strange about it. it started to shrink,or retract (whatever its called) almost everytime while i ve been doing some sports or when it was exposed to coldness. it also feels hard and cold even in flaccid state sometimes. sometimes it retracts so much that its almost childs size and even hurts. today,after 3 years it retracts almost always expect when i am in bed or sitting in warm. i ve visited doctor,he told me should wash it and everthing else is normal cause of difference in circulation on cold and warm,also at rest or exercising. i know the story about increased / decreased blood flow in penis depending on wheather and exercising but i told to doc that its simply to extreme shrinkage in my case. he said nothing. so,i ll send u friend request that u can see my photos. i would be greatful if anyone tell me should i worry about it or any comment. p.s. i ve no any urinating or sexual or erecting problems.only rarely feel loss of sensation when its in shrink state.  tnx guys
I came across this recently and thought it was a good read:

http://cure-erectile-dysfunction.org/firm-flaccid-penis

"You have to BOOST your prostaglandins E-1/E-3 and Nitric Oxide (cGMP) release from the adjacent healthy erectile tissues to soften the collagen scar or prevent collagen scar formation (it will also heal the damaged penile erectile, elastic tissues, nerves and blood vessels in the tunica albuginea and its sheathing spongy corpus cavernosa). A good way to do this is by using right combination of amino-acids, herbs, and vitamins & minerals."

I'm going to try a combination of a men's multivitamin, 5-htp tablets, omega-3 fish oil, l-arginine and ginkgo or ginseng.  I'll keep you all updated.
Britbloke great news that you are making progress. Was wondering what the name of the harley street specialist was as I am suffering badly from similar situation to you?
yes i also feel a tingle sensation in my penis from time to time, but my testicles still sag and hang low alot.  my penis is still cold alot, and im feeling when its flaccid its hard inside. this all happened after i took finasteride, im only 21 years old. so worried mom is ur son on propecia(finasteride)?  

would any of these conditions show on an ultrasound or xraY? (peyronies disease, priapsm)?

and young i also when stimulate my penis a little the hardness goes away. only when its at its normal flaccid state does it get hard inside. also when my penis is erect its much more narrow than it used to be.  
i recently started taking 1 mg of doxazosin(alpha blocker), and 1000 mg of flaxseed oil twice a day, and it has taken part of the issue for the most part, on occassion i will still have a hard flaccid penis, but it does not shrink nearly as much as used too, but overall im satisfied with the results
for months i was looking for another kind of solution for my penis injury but in the end i started having similar things as u said.

i was doing kegels and jelqing before the time i injured my penis. and i had painfull varicosed veins for months. and recently i realised that my thing is much smaller when it is flaccid. in the middle of shaft it is like someone is squezing and head seems in the same size so it looks weird. also i realised that my thing is getting first erect in the root, middle again like squezed and after 5 seconds it comes to its natural size. this looks awful!

i cudnt cure my varicose veins and pain in the area. and now i started to have these..

i have one question to all of u.. did u have this after violating your penis or it just happened?? i know i had been masterbating (masturbating) a lot since i am 13. and now 25. but what put me in this situation was penis excersizes.. i wud be happy to hear from you.
anyone notice any red or blue spider vains on penis
yes they are painful for me..  i first had these veins and now firm flaccid state and a feeling of a stiff band surrounding my middle of shaft. i have hourglass shape erection when i am semi flaccid and it feels that area is more flat now when it is erect.

did u get these due to violent use of penis?? some excersizes or something similar??

also i advice everybody here to massage it with vitamin e. i first had this 2 weeks ago this rigidity and it was awful. as the weather was colder whenever i go out it had pain like hell and when i go in and check it in bathroom head was almost all white and no blood flow going there. but after vitamin e massages now it is not hard flaccid any more.. still i feel the hardness but it is not so like squezed from middle any more.

i think all these are caused by an internal plaque or scar tissue. so u should try to solve them with some heat massages and vitamin e creams.

also while i was searching i found out that verapamil cream can also be effective but they say it is expensive cream. didnt check its price yet.
I also have similar symptoms. A while back I took some herbal supplements for enlargement. This seemed to cause the skin of my penis to be red in patches during and after erections. So I stopped using the supplements and decided to do the stretches n exercizes. Now I still have the red skin issue and the hard when flaccid problem. From doing the stretches I basically  exploded one of the veins in my penis. The vein is now hard and bulged when im errect making me think that it is blocked.

I think that you all are having a circulatory problem. The reason its difficult to diagnose is because its either a partial blockage of one or more veins or capillaries. Im not sure yet how to cure this yet, but knowing this will help a urologist help you.

I also had an injury to my left testicle a while back and have a hard bump in my vas deferens.

Those of you that are taking anti depressants.  Many men who are diagnosed with depression are treated wrong. I also took anti depressants for a while. they helped but didnt get rid of it. depression in men is more commonly caused by a lowered testosterone level.  Getting your testosterone level back to normal will get rid of ED as well as depression.

My testosterone levels were thrown off because of a testicle problem which has yet to be diagnosed. (after ultrasounds) Test. is produced in the testies. So I urge all of you to have your hormone levels checked. Most drs will only do this when you ask they wont do it during a normal blood test. not sure why? There are natural ways to bring test levels back up which work for me i can now work out again and im putting muscle back on. A low test level will cause you to put on fat and lose muscle.

Ginko Biloba is great for depression and will even help with ED.
Isn't there a surgery you can get to remove the cremasteric muscle?  The cremasteric muscle is whats pulling your scrotum up to into your inguinal canal, so maybe getting a surgery to remove or make that muscle less active could be the solution.
Hi everyone, I am 34 and have been suffering this hard-flaccid problem for about a year now, completely destroying my sex life in the process.  So glad I've found this post.

Let me be clear I have never taken amphetamines or ecstasy so you can rule those out as a direct cause (although there could be indirect causes due to metabolism of drugs). I have also never had any back problems, stopped smoking 7 years ago and drink no more than 3-4 pints a week.  A recent blood test confirmed I do not have diabetes nor any hormonal or other blood-related issues, save a slight issue with cholesterol which I am actively trying to control.  

I am quite drug averse so am very hesitant in taking alpha-blockers or other medication as I'm keener to address the root cause of the problem.  I find abstaining from sex or masturbation for 4-5 days makes things slightly better (the longer the abstinence, the better the results), but this is clearly not a satisfactory solution for the long term.

In hard flaccid state my penis appears to have a lost a lot of it's previous bulk (feels very light and thin).  Erections are rarely satisfactory being perhaps 25% full in terms of duration and 75% full in terms of size.  Sex drive is very low.

If I 'shake' my penis in hard-flaccid state gently - thereby forcing blood to enter the penis via centrifugal force - it appears to alleviate the hardness temporarily - bulking up to 'normal' size and weight, but goes hard-flaccid again within a few minutes.  This tends to rule out i) any neuropathic condition (such as associated with diabetes) affecting the sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system around the penis, and also ii) hormonal issues such as related to adrenaline/noradrenaline levels.

My testicles and my glans (glands) are also frequently cold to touch, even in a hot environment, which together with the hard inner shaft feeling as if it has been constricted, and the alleviating affects of shaking the penis as suggested above, leaves me to conclude (without any medical expertise) this is a bloodflow/arterial issue.

The only I can think of atm is possibly arteriosclerosis.
I have this problem too!  I get strong erections though.

I think everyone's similarity is that we all had some event that occurred which made our penises like this (either injury, over exertion, mental, drugs).  

Mine was after I masturbated 16 times in one day and I overdosed on amitriptyline (and I couldn't get hard for a week) and I also put myself in a coma for 2 days and was severely dehydrated.  I am doing jelqing exercises to improve blood flow and wrapping it up in a warm towel at night time and they seem to be helping.  I get horny all the time and have strong erections though unlike many on here.  Then again I am taking Wellbutrin XL which has been making me horny like crazy and I think Jelqing helps with erection strength.

The people who say they have erection problems may be having erection problems because they feel bad about their flaccid penis. and insecure.  This will affect erections and then when you see your erections less strong that just feeds into your insecurity.  Point is the size of the flaccid penis isn't the big deal.  

Here is what I found online. The title was "5 things you don't know about your penis".

No. 4: You Can Break Your Penis
There is no "penis bone," but you can break your penis all the same. It's called penile fracture, and it's not a subtle injury. When it happens, there's "an audible pop or snap," Montague says. Then the penis turns black and blue. And there's terrible pain.
Penile fracture is rare, and it typically happens to younger men because their erections tend to be quite rigid.
Here's how to avoid penile fracture: don't use your penis too roughly. A common way that penile fracture happens, Montague says, is when a man is thrusting too hard and fast during sex, and slams into his partner's pubic bone. Also, a woman who moves wildly while on top of a man during sex can break a man's penis.
Peyronie's syndrome is a related condition that tends to show up more in older men, Montague says. An older man's erection may not be as rigid, but still is hard enough for sex. Over time, if the penis bends too much a certain way during sex, small tears in the tissue can form scars, and the accumulated scar tissue gives the penis an abnormally curved shape.
Not all penis curvature is a problem, however. "There is a lot of variability in what normal is," Cummings says.
Has anyone experienced any sort of real recovery from this injury?

I've just begun experiencing this, it's been approximately 3 months now and I think I can link it back to a marathon masturbation session around that time. I assumed it was just a passing soreness but as the days tick by with no real recovery, I'm becoming more and more alarmed. I have the same symptoms. Hard when soft, and for the most part soft when hard. I do experience half strength erections, but these are slightly painful during sex. When flaccid there is a slight ting of pain that is constant, and a more noticable pain when slightly squeezing on the shaft.

I stumbled on this thread weeks back and have begun taking Vitamin E, Ginko Baloba and some of GNC's megamen vitamen packs for performance and vitality. I've only been taking this for approximately a week, and haven't noticed any recovery yet, I do know that at the very least the Ginko will take multiple weeks before I'll notice any difference. I plan on seeing a Dr/Urologist, but am currently waiting for insurance from a new job I started to kick in.

In the mean time, based on what I've read in this thread, it's sounding more and more like this is a life changing, erection killing situation. Someone, anyone, tell me of the positive results you've had. I'll be sure to provide any updates I can as time passes regarding this issue.

-RecentlyConcerned
I had this approx 9 months ago, triggered by 'overuse' as it were, similar to yourself (see my previous posts). There was a period where I suffered from the hard flaccid, reduced size, constant ache, inability to get full erection (and it looking weird, and slightly mishaped when I could as though not fully inflating all along).

If it gives hope after a tortuous journey I'm now in a place where I'm sure to anyone who doesn't know my penis as I do, it looks normal and now functions okay again, although things aren't quite the same (still a little firmer flaccid and approx 1/2in shorter when erect than was before, but it doesn't dominate my life the way it did for several months.

I saw various top specialists including at Harley Street and had various tests/scans the upshot being no identifiable tissue/veinous/structural damage - clearly this is a more low level (yet equally problematic and alarming) sort of damage and at the moment is not classified as one of the 'classic' male problems. I'm sure everyone on here is sure that in time someone will define this as a recognised condition and set out the best treatment for it - let's hope as soon as possible.

The key thing in my mind which helped was things which stimulate ongoing blood flow down there (Xatral, or perhaps Flomax which I think is now available OTC), Ginko supplements, I was on Cialis for a period of about three months (low dose 2.5mg, to ensure regular erections tough this is v expensive if your GP won't prescribe and like me I had private prescriptions - circa £70 for 28 or months suplpy), regular warm wraps or baths.  I dropped things out of my diet which do the opposite - caffiene being a key one, and I also had to stop doing intense exercise - i) as it caused more pain and ii) as the adrenaline effect which normally shrinks your penis seems to have a much amplified effect with this condition (I've now been able to gradually get back into this as the worst passed)

There was a period where I thought it was 'the end' so don't despair.

I gradually came off the drugs about 3 months ago and now just have high strenght ginko supplements and more baths than I used to (I'm also eating goji berries a lot which are meant to improve circulation/libido), but as part of my strategy I ensure I get a couple of good erections for 5-10 mins a day (with only gentle stimulation and not going to orgasm) and limit myself to 1 or 2 actual sessions a week (which compared to the hell I was in, I would have snapped anyone's hand off had they offered me!)

I haven't been on this forum for a few months, so sorry if I ignored anyone's follow up to my posts, I really hope the above may be of help to you.

B
i agree with u...i am suffering from the same condition.. don't know what it is...

it becomes tight, and retracting inside the body....I am afraid if it could be some sort of infection on injury...since i never felt any pain or sensation...so i have no clue what it is and the urologists i have met are totally clueless about the situation.
Hey brother. I think what you have is all related to your pelvic muscles. You see, when the muscles in your pelvis are overworked, they tighten aggressively and begin to remain that way until they are taught to relax again. When these muscles are tightened your penis is pulled toward your body. The pelvic muscles are also unique in that they react to almost every bodily function (sneezing, coughing, laughing, breathing, arousal, urinating, depression, anxiety...etc). This means that they are going to continue to be strained without action on your part.
Obviously depression makes the situation much worse as specialists have told me that "the greatest sex organ is the brain".
You should look into physical therapy and really really should read this book: "A Headache in the Pelvis".
I myself am getting better. I used to have the problem you do, but have sense been rid of it. I'm not 100% better at all, but I'm in the right direction and significantly happier. Good luck.
Ughh, I can't believe this kind of thing has happened to me. I am a 21 year old college student and I should be in the prime of my sexual life! Instead, I suffer from the exact same thing the rest of you men suffer from. This is the first forum I have ever been a part of and its about ED. Lord Almighty WTF.

I must say I probably brought in on myself. I have never had sex, but I used to masturbate all the time. About 2-3 times a day or so, since I was about, I don't know, probably 13 or so. That is alot of wear on my little guy, you know? If I calculate it out 2 times a day*365 days*8 yrs=5840 times! That is pretty significant.

I have the same exact symptoms as everyone on here, except I have never experienced any kind of injury and am in great shape. I don't have a girlfriend, but there is a girl I seem to really like and I think she could like me back. This condition scares me. I have not told her about it, of course, and I believe that if she were to know, she would be completely turned off and just go out with some other fella. How could my sex life be over before it ever actually began?

Some of my more unique symptoms besides the stiffened flaccid penis are: lack of libido; almost no morning or spontaneous wood; and a feeling of disconnect between mind and penis that some other guy went into detail about.

I feel as if the physiological symptoms could be coupled with a skewed view of the 'average woman' from watching too much porn. I feel desensitized to attractive normal women. I can maintain a somewhat less powerful erection when I watch porn, but I feel as if I should not watch it anymore. I used to do it all the time, but now after I'm done my penis shrivels to about the size of my thumb.

It really is tragic; I don't believe in God, but I do sometimes think this some form of cosmic justice for objectifying women or something. I'm glad I ran into this forum, but I don't think that one person in here has been cured completely, or so it seems. I would like some feeling of hope! I'm already a worry wart and don't feel as if I need this in my life right now.

To the Brit guy that says that he has almost achieved normalcy: I'm an aspiring personal trainer and can't just give up working out. It's part of my life! I have been taking the Mega Men Virility pack and just recently purchased some ginkgo biloba, but it seems as if these things don't seem to cure it from what I've read.

I haven't told anyone about this except all of you. I feel so lonely. I feel like I'm a horrible person because I used to rely so much on hardcore pornography to get off. My father died my senior year and I have no one I can talk to about this. Friends just laugh and make jokes; they don't understand how horrible this is because it's not them! I feel as if going to a doctor would be worthless; none seem to help except those Harley Street(?) specialists, some of you mentioned.

Damn my masturbation!

Ya know, it's kind of ironic. You hear everywhere that masturbation is normal. I had never heard that excessive masturbation could lead to erectile dysfunction. They don't teach that kind of thing in sex ed.You do hear that masturbation helps relieve stress and relaxes you. People do say chronic masturbation is detrimental but they don't tell you why. Dammit, I feel as if I almost deserve this in a way. I've never treated a woman poorly, but I can't help but feel as if this is punishment for masturbating excessively.

I just want to go back to thinking that I had a pretty awesome and normal penis. I hate the worrying. Maybe I should see a shrink because I'm really freaking out here.

My father died at the age of 59 my senior year of high school from a obesity/diabetes related cardiovascular condition shortly after he underwent bilateral knee replacement. He weighed 365 lbs. I too was getting up there at 255 lbs. Since then, I myself have lost 65 pounds by changing my diet and exercising regularly. I never took any shortcuts; I felt that you have one thing in life that's for sure, something you can partially control. I thought that was my health. I thought for so long that, as long as I didn't get hit by a bus or fall down a well or something. I could live to be 85 or something because I keep myself in very good shape and I do it the right way. Now this...

My whole idea of being able to control my health has flipped completely around. I will continue to work out, but now I feel as though I have no control over anything. My penis used to be the last of my worries and now it is my number one concern. I am completely distraught and I don't know what I should do. Someone please say something helpful or comforting; I'm about to go over the edge over here. You guys are all I've got in terms of a support structure!

Thank you very much to anyone who actually took their precious time reading this. I know I was very long-winded and more than a little scatterbrained. I just had to get all that off my chest. It's basically all of what I'm thinking right now in a nutshell.
Viewing 1-200 comments: