Men's Health Community
Penis retracting into body

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

Penis retracting into body

My husband fell on his penis when he was younger while at a skating ring- he is now 20. Ever since then, he had a indention above his penis. Another symptom is that his penis retracts into his body when his adrenaline gets going. He would literally have to pull it out before it goes all the way in.

I have tried looking up these symptoms but only found one thing called "Penis Panic" pretty much saying that its a beliefe where men think their penis is going to retract into their body and disapear. Well, this def is not something in his head, lol... really happens.

Anyone else heard of this? He went to the doc- the doc is going to call him back cause he doesnt know what it could be.

Thanks in advance,
Shannon
Tags: penis, Health
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Is he overweight? anatomically I cant see how this would happen.
No, he is not overweight. Good shape, we are both in the Army.

Adrenaline causes it... when he is scared. Throughout working out, he has to pull it when it starts going in.

I don't see how its happening... but it does....
hmm...that seems odd, but im not saying that it doesnt happen. i just never heard of anything like that before...time to do a little research
No luck on finding anything online... I looked awhile.

The only thing I could find is something called "Penis Panic" Which is pretty much a beliefe that this condition is a fear that men have... that it doesnt really happen.

Well... it really happens... lol

The doc said he would call him back abou tit... its been 3 days... :-/
Well, when you look at the anatomy of that area, there is really no where for a penis to go. The base of the penis is tightly attached to the pubic bone by the suspensory ligament of the penis. Now, if it were somehow detached from this suspensory ligament, it could possibly be slipping under the pubic bone into the perineal space (which isnt much of a space). There is really no possible way that this is happening unless he has a very small penis, or he has a very major anatomical defect.
Can you give some more information? Does the penis slip under the pubic bone (the bone that you can feel just above the penis) or over it?
It could possibly be slipping over the pubic bone and into the inguinal canal just under the skin.
Also, do the testicles go with the penis? And lastly, are you serious or are you joking?

Yes, I am serious.
Well, maybe it is somehow detached. He noticed this problem (as well as the indention above his penis) after he fell at the skating ring when we was a kid (on top of his penis). He said that it does slip under, and not over. He doesn't have a small penis... bit on the bigger side. He said that it is def retracting in... if it goes to far, he has to get hard for it to come out. It only happens when his adrenline kicks in, no other time. It happens on a daily basis since we work out everyday in the army. He said while working out, he'll have to tug on it so it doesnt retract.

Maybe it does sound like a silly joke but there's no joke here. He went to the doc on Wednesday... the doc said he had no idea what it was, that he was going to try to find out and call him back.... he hasn't called back yet.
You are right, it is hard to find anything on this. There is only one other symptom mentioned on the net: genital lymphoedema. On a lymhoedema website it mentioned in just one line that after injury or surgery sometimes parts of genitals can develop sudden swelling and oddly enough it mentions swelling of the scrotum that makes the penis temporarily retract into the scrotum. There is no further explanation but maybe that`s another clue. Maybe a urologist can arrange an ultrasound as well to determine what kind of physical damage is present since your husband`s injury. Hope some of this helps...
Have you ever seen this happen?
Well no swelling is present when it happens. Yes, I bet an ultrasound will def help.

No, I haven't personally seen this, since its when he gets scared- its not like he gets scared/his adrenline gets going... then would pull down his pants to show me, lol.

But, I do notice that he would pull at his pants daily, everytime I ask why- he says it cause of that problem. Mainly working out or so.
Next time he is naked, let him work out.... All the best.
Have you considered that he might actually have "penis panic". This is an actual psychological disorder. People who have this actually do believe 100% that their       is retracting into their body. Unless you have actually seen it yourself, I wouldnt discount it no matter how much you trust your husband. He may be able to get some behavioral therapy or be put on an MAO inhibitor or SSRI that will help him get over this fear. This is probably what the doctor is going to recommend.  
I have actually seen it... few mins ago.

It looked like his head was retacting into his body with the skin over it (Almost like he was circumsized- but he isn't)  He said it's almost in, but not all the way... It can go all the way in. It didn't look normal to me.
Normally he hangs about 2-4 inches... i saw it around 1-  def looked like it was retracting.

Also, the indention, I can confirm, it quite noticable. Almost a half inch indention. Its right about his penis.

Hrm. ?
Doc still hasnt called, it's been a week.

Thanks for all the responses!
i have the same porblem dont no why it happens .i notice  the same thing.thought blood flo.if you find out what it is please post.
I also have this problem. My penis is over 5 inches erect, but throughout the day it will retract to less than an inch and I have to go to the bathroom to pull it out to let it "hang".  It is also very embarrassing in the locker room after a workout. I have to give it a tug to come out otherwise it just looks like a turtle head peeking out. I am circumcised and have not found any information about this for circumcised penis'.
I also have this problem and if anybody can come up with something,please post.
I have the same problem and have been researching it for some time to no avail. My penis has gotten noticably shorter (not smaller, but just not as long) over time and I have the same indentation on the top side of the base of the penis (looks like the penis is pulling into my body). The indentation is there when flacid or erect. This indentation has not always been there, and though my length is fine, I am positive I am missing length that was there before (that I would like back BTW).

The only thing that even mentions this symptom online is Peyroines Disease, but I don't have any of the other symptoms it mentions (like extreme curvature of pain). Any info or help on the matter would be appreciated, as it's kind of a demoralizing problem and there seems to be no data on it even though a few people have posted to this site, and obviously a problem exists.
Adreneline, stress, temprature and a number of other factors can cause the penis to appear like its retracting into the body.

I don't know if anyone here has ever taken ecstasy, amphetimine or cocaine but it's a well-known side-effect of these stimulants that the penis will shrivel up as blood rushes to other areas of the body.  I believe adreneline etc can have the same effect.

HealthAddict - there is another topic on this forum where myself and other guys who've suffered the horror of permanent shrinkage post.  All are pretty much in the same boat - getting no help from a medical profession that says this cannot happen and being forced to trawl the Internet lookig for answers, or at least clues to what might be happening to our bodies.  You may find some more information there but I'm afraid you shouldn't expect a miracle cure.

In my experience the atrophy is pretty much confined to girth.  Although my length is slightly less than it once was, the circumference is my major concern as it has reduced significantly over the years (I'm only 28 now BTW).  THis reduction is most noticeable when flaccid.  As I previously said, flaccid size can vary enormously according to a number of facotrs but if you imagine a cosine graph which depicts the ups and downs of size according to each of these considerations then the graph of my girth now will be lower on the x axis than it once was.

Hope that makes some sense - I find it hard to articulate my limited mathematical knowledge!

Medical professionals have repeatedly told me this cannot be happening but all I can say is that, after watching my penis change over the years and having measured it regularly, it most definitely is getting thinner.

I too suffer this same thing. Frastrating is one way to put it. It happens deffinantly when my adrenaline gets going, almost immediately. But several times during the day I will have the same issue. I thought it may be from the suspensory ligament and getting this cut may help but I will need to be sure of this bofore I get surgery. Has anyone had any success as yet???
I too have recently developed this problem.....didn't put the "adrenaline" connection together until reading this. I first noticed this 1 year ago when I foud out my girlfriend was cheating on me - I was entirely enraged and as I went to shower, I was a little shocked to see my penis (which is circumsized) appearear to be uncircumsized, as the head was definitely retracted into the shaft.......I was paniced to say the least......and there is definitely the feeling as if it is going to retract all the way, it seems scary, but it doesn't ever really go in all that far, just enough for you to know, and there is definitely the feeling that it is being pulled inward..........it has happened at least 4 times in the last year, when paniced playing a video game, and making a big bluff and winning in poker, and being very angry.......now I know its an adrenaline thing, makes sense.....but true, nothing I have read anywhere really explains why, if it's treatable, if this is something really bad or just a quirk?......this lasts only moments and almost immeiately when i feel this pulling inward, I just have to touch it to stop this - who wouldn't? but am now curious if I let it go what would happen?.......for a guy, this is like worst nighmare kind of situation. Any more info would be helpful.
This is a nightmare no doubt; strange penis shape also wtf is that all about? Diagnos techs do the adrenal, thyroid and insulin panel may be worth checking out if you need to start some Isocort. I am also hypothyroid so am still very much "going through it" with no sex drive
I have been looking into it more. I still cannot diffinatively say what it is but if you read about the corpora cavernosa of the penis it fills with blood which sends the penis into it's erect state and if this is the case then why not be able to remove the blood all together. Comming from an adrenaline rush the body can remove blood from non vital organs and even limbs to protect the vital organs. This to me seams reasonable. If this is the case then there is no physialogical problem as such. It may be a subconciense thing that causes it, surgery wont help. I am thinking that maybe (if you beleive in it) hypnotherapy may aleviate this. Not sure but just trying to throw ideas out there.
Relaxing helps for sure but low cortisol levels due to adrenal depletion means your body relies on adrenaline in stress. You need a little adrenaline but LOTS of cortisol!
Are you taking Liothyronine? Does it help your lethargy and weight control??
Sorry I realise this is off the topic but i just wanted to know.
On the topic I am in a position to try some different ideas so if I come up with anything I will deffinately post it.
I just take Isocort because a stim test and saliva confirmed I need adrenal support that I kind of knew anyway. I lived with it so long it has left its mark...
I have had this problem recently, and zinc and cranberry tablets seem to be keeping it from recurring - my penis is definitely a lot fuller when flaccid, and my erections are hard again like they used to be.
hi also have the same problem with my penis, it retracts when my adrenaline rushes, also when playing sports its very annoying  and i feel like i have to relax on certain exercises because affraid to go in.  now how long did it take for the supplements to work, and did it completely stop?
I also have the same problem some of you guys have.  I notice the problem when I really strain like pushing a car, or carrying something really heavy.  I also have noticed that in the last 4 or 5 years it seems to have shrunk since this problem started.  It feels as if there is a string attached from the inside pulling the head. I notice also that when I bend over it pulls inward.
I have this problem as well and it is embarrassing to say the least. I also have to pull my penis back out because it is retracting. It never goes all the way but it is uncomfortable. This only happens when working out or in high stress situations. Is this a physical or psychological? I used to get panic attacks but I don’t get them anymore and was wondering if it might be related to stress? I am not sure since this happens when I am exercising. I have an above normal penis almost 7" and fairly thick but I have also noticed that it dose not seem as big anymore. I do not have problems getting erect it just seems smaller and my erections are not as full. This is a nightmare and I just told my girlfriend about it. I was so embarrassed I didn’t tell anyone for years. It good to know other people are in the same situation as me. If anyone knows more about this please post. I'll try the supplements and see if it helps.
My penis doesn't retract into my body, but it does lose about an inch of its usual (flaccid) size from being really nervous/strong exercise/adrenaline in general. I think it is the same for most guys.

Three things to help, firstly you can take cialis on a regular basis - eg half a pill every 2 - 3 nights. ALso drink lots of water, and  take Zinc supplementation. All these things will keep your penis larger when flaccid and will theoretically stop it from retracting so much.
I have finally found a reference to this. It is not much mind you but it is something to work on. It relates to penis enlargement but is relevant to those with this problem.
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~drcolinmoore/acps/faq.htm
Retraction:

Retraction can occur under 2 sets of circumstances.
1. Result of normal scar contraction, this is managed by post-operative scar stretching exercises. Failure of the patient to perform this scar stretching exercise properly may result in the retraction not being corrected fully, with permanent loss of some or all of the extra length gained at surgery.
2. Secondly it may result, in very rare circumstances, from the patients own natural excessive production of adrenaline, which may cause the penis to shrink.
Hey guys, I feel your pain. I am 29 years old married with 2 kids and I experience the same issue. It started about a year ago and I cannot find any answers anywhere. I showed it to my wife. I am not crazy and this is not in my head, my penis retracts inside the shaft. The head will contract completely inside much like a turtle. This happens to me several times a day. And it doesn't seem to be tied to adrenaline. I do not work out and I have a sit down job. I can physically feel it retract through my pants for no reason at all, while I am walking through my work or sitting at my desk. I know that no one around me knows what is happening, but it is so embarrassing. I have tried switching from briefs to boxers thinking that the tight underwear was causing it, no help. I quit smoking thinking that may help nothing. I have had no trauma to speak of, nothing changed in my diet, and I am 6'3" 210lbs. I am not overweight per say, and this is not an illusion at all. There is something going on. I am not afraid that it will retract all the way in, or anything, I just want to know why for no apparent reason, my penis shrivels up. It started one day out of the blue and has done it ever since. I am constantly tugging at it know. Even though I am married, I am extremely embarrassed about it. And since no one can come up with a reason, I am not going to mention to my family doctor, a man that I see on a regular basis. I mean, if there was something he could do great, but if he is going to just say, “try diet and exercise" what’s the point. Help please. This is not natural and no one seems to know anything about this subject. How could this be happening to so many different people with no explanation? We are going to have to diagnose this ourselves. Some other weird stuff has been happening to me lately such as zoning out frequently and mood changes. I am not sure if it is related.
has there been any changes to your erect size/girth/ability to get an erection?

The zoning out and mood chages may fit with some sort of hormone imbalance but I'm no expert on that area.
Poor skin fixation to the shaft of the penis. Sometimes the penile skin isn't adequately attached to the base or shaft of the penis. When this occurs, the penis isn't fixed in its normal position outside of the body and can retract during vigorous activity.
This could have occured from complications of his accident.  Consult a GP or even a urologist.
oh also certain types of hernias/muscle separation can cause this.
I have no trouble getting an erection. I normally do not measure myself so I cannot tell about a size difference, but if I had to guess I would say that I may have lost a little. They are defiantly not as hard as they used to be. And this occurs multiple times during the day; in fact my penis is retracted right now. It doesn't hurt or physical create an issue for me. However it is very annoying. I wish I knew what caused it.
I am 32, married with 3 kids.  I started experiancing this about 9 months ago.  I was wondering if it can be caused by stress?  I lost my job around the time it started.  It was only a couple of times at first then being the idiot that I am, I had an affair and it got much worse (the affair is over BTW).  I can think about the what if's and could of's and I notice it happening.  It has been freaking me out.  Now it happens even when I'm not thinking about "stuff".  I don't have trouble with erections but the hardness isn't what it use to be.  I haven't had any trama and don't take drugs, smoke or drink.  Is this ever going to stop??
I know exactly what you mean. It happens for no reason at all. Some days nothing and others it seems as if it happens 20 times a day. I find myself walking uncomfortably to the rest room and pulling out my penis before I take a leak. I also have had no trauma and I do not do drugs. This has been happening to me Since Oct 06 and there are no signs of it stopping. We must stick together and find out what is happening. Is there any new word from the posts above? What about shannonwooten, what did the doctor say?

Let’s start listing some things to see if we can find a common link. I will list some things that have been happening to me other than this, and also a few extra things to see if anyone shares a similar issue and maybe we can pin something down. It’s a long shot, but I am willing to try anything. Feel free to answer these and add to them. Please share any info you can.

I listed a shampoo brand below because I read that lower testosterone levels can cause strange things to happen, and some hair growth products remove DHT testosterone. BTW I stopped using it and the problem is still here.

Trauma                         No
Smoke                         Yes
Shampoo                      Nioxin
Exercise                       Not often
Retract Frequency          10 times per day (at least)
Drugs                            No
Medications                   Lisinipril 5mg  (for high blood pressure)
Zone Out                       Frequently
Vision                           Worse lately
Mood                            Poor / Depressed
Concentration               Poor
Overweight                    5 - 10lbs maybe
Memory                        Short term, not too good

Penis Lengthening Exercises                        Tried once, never on a regiment

Has this been witnessed by someone else      Yes (To prove to Drs that we are not crazy)
Here are my answers.  Maybe you are correct and we can all figure this out together.

Trauma                         No
Smoke                         use to but stopped about 2 years ago
Shampoo                      switch all the time - right now Paul Mitchell
Exercise                       try to walk a couple of times a week, but wouldn't consider it normal.
Retract Frequency          probably 5 to 15 times a day normally, sometimes even more
Drugs                            no
Medications                   Anti depressants
Zone Out                       a couple of times a day
Vision                           wear glasses because I work on the computer all the time.
Mood                            Depressed - push people away that I know are only trying to be there for me and love me.  Don't know why.
Concentration               Poor
Memory                       Some times I can remember talking to my wife on the phone.  So I would say poor.
Penis lengthening Exercises      Never tried didn't know there was such a thing.
Has been witnessed by someone     No - too embarrassed.      
i think it may have to do with the suspensory ligament!! because i think thats what causes the penis to retract. im not sure???
So glad I found this site!  I am 47, have three daughters, and I am divorced.  I’ve been experiencing this problem for about the last six months.  At time the retraction is so painful that I’ve had to pull my penis out so that I can be comfortable.  It can happen while sitting in a chair, walking, you name it!  Never while having sex.  I do take Viagra and Paxil for mild depression plus Losartan for blood pressure.  I often wonder if may be between these three types of medication this could be a cocktail that causes this problem.
Wow! If I'm the only one who can track this back to childhood, maybe I can help figure this out. 1st, I too am 47. I've always been in good health, and had been very sucessful in athletic pursuits when younger.[Not so much now, due to age and various injuries.] I only bother saying this because it rules out age, injury, puberty, etc. as specific causes. Also, the first 17yrs., never drank, smoked, or did drugs. Again this is notable, because I've noticed this condition since at least 8ys of age. The key here is, I was a [good] competative swimmer, but always very anxious, before during and after events. This is when I first frightfully noticed, retraction issues. [Please note, severe anxiety was definately related]. Anyway, since this has been something of a concern for some 40yrs. [way before the internet] I've sought from time to time any possible info over the years. I can concur, if you experiance it, you know it's definately real! Also, I believe, the nature of it makes it something most people wouldn't want to talk about, so it maybe [maybe not] more common then we know. However uncomfortable, I've discreetly tried to broach the topic with many medical profesionals, and yes, I've gotten all the head scatching and 'you must be crazy' looks. Pleasantly surprised, this site confirms it does exist, again not that you don't know that! My personal observations, stress-anxiety, brings it on and or obssessing on it [which is understandable], increases its occurance. I've also noticed certain back positions, may cause or relieve to situation. [note there's a strong relationship, between stress/tension and back pain, i.e. maybe certain nerves are being pinched.

I've rambled on enough for now, but if it makes one feel better, another wild *** theory I've considered, it maybe a rare genetic trait from the past, which gave an edge those "warriors" whose tool of procreation was protected during battle in more primative times?! : )
I am so glad i found this. I made a post similar to this one a few months back but it was deleted for some reason. Anyway, Ive had the same condition since i was about 15, im 26 now, but its gotten progressively worse in the last few years. I went to a doctor when i was 17, and he basically shrugged and said "that will go away". Well guess what it hasnt, and its only gotten worse.

I just graduated from College and my job , auto-mechanic, is very physical and it makes me very, VERY uncomfortable at times, and its such a worry, i get panic attacks over it. I have to wait until my insurance kicks in , but i decided im going to get some answers once and for all. This condition basically runs my life, its all a bit to in-depth to go into here, but if anyones interested, i can go more in detail. Perhaps it would help someone else out there who is reading...
If possible, can i hear your whole story. I will be able to offer help and advice on this. It's a fully hormonal related condition (be it the adrenal cortex or thyroid) playing a role in it. Everything from diet to testicular problems can cause this condition. Do you have any signs of varicocele/hydrocele or cysts on either testicle?
I will try to type as much as i can in one painful sitting :)

When I was 15 , i was wrestling in the backyard of one of my friends house, and i felt a "pop" in my lower abdomen, along with a weird sensation in my genital area. I didnt know what it was so i didnt really panic. without saying anything, i just got up and went to the bathroom to investigate. To my surprise i found my penis had shrunk,not really retracted, but was also very hard to the touch even though it was not in an erect state. I was scared, but i was 15, and too embarrased to tell anyone, so i lived with it.

The first time i noticed "retraction" issues was about a year later, which would make me 16. I was on the wrestling team in High School, and we were having a match against another school , which came down to the last match to determine who the overall winner was. I was just a bystander at this point, but there was so much riding on this match, my blood was really pumping. All of a sudden i felt a very weird sensation in my genitals, and once again, rushed to the bathroom to investigate. To my surprise, again, i frightfully witnessed my penis almost fully retraction. It was 10 years ago, and my memory is a bit hazy, i dont really know what i did to remedy the situation, id imagine i just pulled it out and took a few deep breaths.

The condition didnt really worsen until about 4 years ago, when i started getting very severe panic attacks. At first they didnt tie in with the retraction issues, but very quickly, that started happening. I now have to deal with it every minute of every day, and it sucks. I dont go on long trips because of it, cant excercise like i want to because of it, its really controlling my life.

I googled the terms varicocele/hydrocele, and basically i think thats referring to a vericose vein condition on the testes, which yes i have. They are not very prominent. But if you spread the skin a little, you can see them. I also have them on the shaft of my penis. Hope this helps.
Mega;

I too have the varicose veins in the scrotum and the shaft of the penis.  They seem to be very noticeable now.  Plus, I now have two or three huge veins up the side of my shaft that I didn't have a year ago.

Morgannon
bumping this back to the top, hopefully megazoid will see it, and offer some advice/info.  :)
anyone?
I have the same problem...it happens all day long. Started a couple of years ago. I am diagnosed with Peyronie’s Disease which is a curving of the penis due to scar tissue. For about a week I had painful erections then the pain went away but penis was deformed and noticed the retraction thing occuring. Any mood...any adrenal flow I assume....It does definetly retract worse under stress however, if I get pulled over by a cop he must think Im reaching for a gun because I have to shoove my hand down my pants to pull my penis out. I asked Dr. about retraction and the dent you describe at the base of penis...he said it came with age for circumsized peni that are smallish. 5-6in. and that have "seen a lot of action". Or that it could come from other trauma. The Peyronie’s Disease he was not sure about and referred me to uroligist...I havent gone yet... some Dr.s think its autoimmune, others trauma, they just dont know....no treatment in US but in europe have somekind of drug delivery system that is suppossed to help it....not approved by FDA. So my question to you....any bending, lumps or dents on shaft?, Painful erections and has your husband "seen a lot of action?" Forgive me if you already answered these questions as I could not read every post.
Hi Guys,

I am getting allot of emails and messages from various forums (including this one) and i'm really busy working on a soundtrack score, however i will reply very, very soon. Keep in mind i am getting asked about 1/2 questions a day from different people regarding these issues or similar.

I am also dealing with this situation myself and it's horrible. I will get back to you guys' by the weekend. Any additional information you believe could help me give a better reply, feel free to post.

- Dave
Glad to hear I'm not crazy. Mine started pulling in like a turtle a few years ago. First noticed it at the beginning of mountain bike rides. Starts to hurt and I need to slip my hand down my bike shorts and pull it out. After a while it stays out. I thought it may be due to bike seat or tight shorts. Now it happens doing other activities or just when in the office.

I'll keep check to see what answers come up.
Bumping this back to the top again. Had a pretty bad episode last night. :(
Ok, i went to a family doctor today, basically to get a referral to go to a urologist. While the doctor had never seen anything like this before (of course), she felt around a bit, agreed it wasnt normal, and also said it didnt seem/feel like a hernia. I will try to update this thread as the situation progresses.
hello shannon i have this problem when i get a bit nervous,medicals ,examination etc,when i went for my vasectomy it happened again and i got embarraced,the specialist says it is a perfectly normal thing to happen as it goes all the way back to when we were primates and lived in trees, it is a protective measure, your brain is sending messages that your feeling insecure,so all loose parts will retract and depending on the concentration of the muscle grouping in the area surronding depends on how far it is pulled back,as for the trees you dont want to catch your bollocks on a twig when your climbing up and down one  i suppose, he also said this is why man and woman have pubic hair, i hope this helps
+1

Note; when doing squats it happens more than ever, try it and see, and note also that squats increase testosterone in the body.

However, it is also worth noting that it does seem to aid prevention of damage to your lower quarters in combat situations, I did a lot of martial arts and boxing and it came on then too a LOT.

Also have the veins.....this doesnt make us shoot blanks does it??? If not then im not worried.

My huband is having the same problem.  Several months ago he came home and told me that his penis goes back into his body.  This happens several times during the day.  He can feel when this is happening.  I tell him he should go see a doctor, but after reading these comments I am not sure if it would help.  He says that it happens most when he walks.  He is a truck driver.  He is currently taking Zoloft and Cialias.  Are any of you taking Cialias as well?  Do you think this could cause the problem.  He also uses a pump.  I thought might might be the problem, but who knows.  Thanks in adavance for any help you might have.  I am going to buy him some zinc now.
In Africa, there is a tribe that pushes their penises back into their bodies purposely, this is so that they can run faster and without a distraction or discomfort. Now in your case "shannonwooten" that might be what happened to your husband, his penis might have been out of place and as a child he never got it fixed. It still might be able to be cured but I am really not sure. I would believe that he would just have to get it put back in place. In other cases I'm not sure what might be happening, sorry if I was not in any way helpful.
I'm 44 and have been having this problem for about 18 months. It always happens when I pick up something heavy. But it does happen for no reason, even just sitting at my desk, usually not as bad. But if I'm doing anything strenous it will completely disappear. I've noticed that even when I squat it will retract. Like the rest of you I've been searching for an answer.
Some common threads I've seen which I have are depression, stress, mood swings, lack of concentration, short term memory problems. Also I'm on paxil for depression.
I have an appointment with a Urologist next Friday, the 22nd. My problem is a little different from most of you on here, as i also have another very odd symptom. Even when my penis is not erect, it is still stiff. I know that sounds odd, but thats how it is. It is stiff to the touch, it does not want to bend. You can make it "flaccid" by moving it around a bit and stimulating blood flow, i guess is what im doing.

I just hope i get some answers soon.
Well.....  its kinda great to know that  my  hubby isnt the only one... he is getting quite stressed about this.....  we did his penis a bit of an injury one night......  not sure if it qualifies as Peyronies or not.. but since then. seems to have a bend to  one side,, wether flaccid or erect.  So much so that it makes sex uncomfortable for him....   Last couple of months, it has started the retracting thing......  right inside,,,,  (he is circumcised),  reading back through some of the posts,, yeah,, I guess you could say he has seen a bit of  "action".  No vein problem....  no connection to adrenalin..... and not taking any drugs of any sort.   just disappears all on its own....  I am wondering if perhaps the people who bought up the theory that something has become unattached might be onto something.

Waiting to hear  the next instalments......

and just remember...  dont let it get you down.  Good sex life doesnt necessarily have to be penetrative..
My problem started at the age of 10 - 12 years old when I got circumcised, I am now 22 years old. My circumcision was carried out by a dodgy home circumcision doctor (who has now been struck off!). The circumcision was done for religious purpose. My operation took about an hour, whereas my brothers took 5 minutes as another doctor was used for him when my dad witnessed how problematic and painful mine had been!
Well after a week or so I noticed something strange, the head had started retracting into the shaft (only slightly at this stage). After a few days I woke up and when I checked I thought my penis fell off! It had completely retracted.
My penis is completely retracted at all times since that day. I have normal erections and sensation. I went to my GP who is an idiot and sometimes scares me as I wondering if he is really qualified! I saw him at the age of around 17 or 18 and instead of trying to work out what the problem is, he just took a quick look and started lecturing me about Puberty! Since that day I never saw anyone about the problem and more or less got kind of used to it.
This condition has not caused me any functional problems before, and my penis grew normal. But recently I have been getting problems as when retracted (it is sometime tight) I think the penis is cut off from blood supply and the appearance of the head turns whitey like when any part of your flesh is deprived of blood.  The appearance seems to come back to normal after a while when I tug it out or have an erection.
I have done some research and found out there can be many causes. In my case it may be because of a forceful circumcision where the foreskin was forcefully “torn” away from the glans (glands). Also found that releasing of the Suspensory Ligament will release the penis and this should stop the penis being pulled in and lets the penis hang outside the body.  
I have the same problem.  5 to 20 times a day, my penis retracts into itself.  It is usually pretty painful.  Normally, I feel the pain in my left testicle.  When I was about 19, I had a strangulated right testicle.  I had minor surgery where the surgeon placed a stitch between the right testicle and the scrotum.  Other than this, I have no remarkable history in this area.  My penis retracts frequently when I’m doing physical labor, but it also retracts sometimes when I’m sitting at my desk.  I am overweight, but not obese.  I have pictures if the Drs don’t believe this..  I have found one thing that really does help.  On adameve.com, they sell something called a “Cock-A-Too”.  I is a nylon and elastic product that fits around the shaft of the penis and the scrotum.  The sleeve that fits around the penis provides enough support that it keeps my penis from retracting.  I wish I could find a similar product in flesh color so I wouldn’t have to worry so much about having someone notice
My Husband is 54 and in January he stopped smoking with the help of chantix..........then he developed diabetes......he believes as some of the reports are saying that the chantix may have caused it......well recently after a great deal of stress (money-health) his penis has retracted (just like others describe- like a turtle)and he says even when urinates it is "in" . The chantix also gave him bazzar "episodes" of laughing inappropriately and easliy agitated (and screaming like a nut when something went wrong). He is circumsed.
One of the common things I have read over & over again on this site is stress- well he certainly has been under that.
  Sex has been non-exsistant for us for too long and when I tryed to talk about this  recently he yelled this new thing at me...then I paid attention when he was naked and it has retracted..........now he is extremely stressed & depressed over this too.
  He is on Metformin (for the diabetes) & lipitor.
yes i have same issue, im not very energetic anymore been out of work for 4 years, and i am 27

its one of those where i can not remeber back in time where i dont remeber feelin such uncumfortable, shrinking up, makes it difficult to pee at times, (im one of them who cant pee if someones around, i have to be in a closed door)

but it definately getting worse, get a ache around the top of thigs wen it retracts i dont see it retract but i can feel it, and for some time now its never ever got any length to the flacid state, however i still cant remeber what the length was years ago, but i never felt this duscumfort, i cant pull at it as some of you say cos all that happens is it slips back as i am NOT circumsized, i cant grab at it, its like Dunk Apple in water, it slips away, i have to shake at it thru my pants, and it looks like i have infestation in that area when people sometimes catch me doing it, but i dont mean anythin by it, but after a little shake it makes me feel better for a few moments, sad as it may sound i must do it so much so now that i have noticed "wear" in the area i shake on certain clothing

its horrible, i have no errection problems, and usually if i wake up of a morning and i have been lying on my front, it seems pretty fine no aches and is happily hanging, untill im awake and about doing things or even just sitting down

im from UK
I too have begun noticing this issue.  I'm a 270lb man and am 6' tall.  I began noticing this issue when I started riding on a bicycle with my buddies at the office.  Our first ride together was about 10-12 miles and I rarely stood up at all on it as it was easy enough to pedal sitting down.  Before the ride was over I was completely numb in my groin.  I began sitting slightly sideways and standing up a bit until I got my feeling back; however, my penis had also retracted.  I read online some documentation regarding the perineal nerve and how pressure on it can cause these issues and diminished blood flow.  There were some references to trying a seat with the center cut out of it.  So, I took that advice, went to Wal-Mart and found myself a bike seat with the cut out center.  Now when I ride, I no longer get the numbness so that worked, at least for half my issues.  I still get the retraction problem but only when I'm riding my bike.  I don't notice it when I run around or swim with my kids...just when I'm riding my bike.  It doesn't go up inside my body, it just makes my circumcised penis look like an uncircumcised one and it feels very small when it does that.  I can, however, reach down and "pull it out" and it then hangs normally.

I hope someone can figure this out because it makes me fear riding my bicycle and that is something I love to do and is good for helping me lose my weight!  I'm not worried about becoming sterile as I already have 3 kids but if this somehow leads to impotency that's going to suck! haha
I have had this condition for as long as I can remember. I am 33 years old and function fine. I am circumcised and was told that the doctor did a bad job, (not straight across), so it appears as if there is some extra skin. Has anyone heard of other remedies?
Isn't there any case anywhere who got back to normal?
I think this "syndrome" is called genital retraction syndrome (grs)
Maybe it has got to do with hormones.
It is maybe the use of cortocoideroids (cortecoiden?) or something.
Or the use of antipsychotic medicines.
Or it is just (years of) fear manifesting (on the wrong way).

There can be lot of more reasons of course.

There is a case where someone healthed.
It is on wikipedia, it is called (grs)genital retraction syndrome.
On the bottom there is a link about a jordanian guy or something.
You should check your level of cortisol at your doktor.
Cortisol is a hormone which your body makes when having stress.
Your level might be too high.
It might be so that the genitals are reacting on that hormone(to protect from danger).
It's just a possibility.
comment on my text above, its adrenaline what makes the body ready for action and protection, the cortisol calms the body down.
Check your cortisol and adrenaline anyway.

sorry for the misunderstanding
I am 64 years old and was cincumsized at birth.  I am not overweight (170 lbs, 5' 8" tall) and I have suffered the normal aging shrinkage problem.  For the past few years my penis "retracts" into the "turtles head" position several times a day.  I suffer no pain with it, but it is very uncomfortable.  I am constantly tugging on it to pull it out of my body.  It has gotten to the point that I don't care who is looking when I have to pull it out.  I hope someday that a cure or a devise will be available for this condition.  Until then, I will keep tugging and pulling.  It is very embarrassing and disgusting.  
Somepne please help.

My partner has just shown me this 'condition' and now I am here doing the web search. Does anyone have any clear answers yet. The guy going to the urologist? Did yo get any answers?

Thanks.
I am 39 and have had this issue all my life...keep reading for just a li'l something I found.  It doesn't happen ALL the time, but does indeed many times a day.  Oddly, though, contrary to others....sometimes after working out, walking, jogging it hangs fine....other times, though, it's a turtle retracted and I have to pull the head out.  It's very embarassing for me...my fiance has a huge shower surrounded with glass doors and I HATE it when she comes in their while I'm showering (I often have to reach down, pull it out and stroke a couple of times to hang correctly while she's in the bathroom).  Length/girth is fine when erect and sex life is outstanding...but this is indeed a problem that needs to be resolved! I don't take any medications, but probably should be as I was diagnosed w/ type 2 diabetes a few years ago.....stressed often, yes (I think MOST of us in America are today).....moody, fairly often....never had any injury to the pubic area that I can recall.  One article I found by running Google search indicated this:

"The muscles responsible for this retraction is the cremaster muscle. This is the one which pulls the testicles back in towards the body and shortens the penis in conditions of cold."

However, and unfortunately, no solution was offered...the rest of the article just said to not worry about it if you're confident w/ your length when errect....well, obviously, the author doesn't live w/ this on a daily basis as we do!

Anyone familiar with the "cremaster muscle?"  Anything we can do to tame the doggone muscle from causing the retraction?  What about the zinc (and cranberry I believe one poster wrote) supplements....anyone else tried them and, if so, results??  Some days I feel like tying a damn fishing line around the head with a li'l weight dangling at the end to keep the penis out all day!

I too am glad I found this community to thankfully realize I am not the only one with this condition.  I am 38, 6' tall and 190 pounds, and I've experienced this issue as long as I can remember.  It is definitely linked to stress / anxiety / nervousness for me, and of course cold weather.  I have been married for 17 years and have 2 kids, everything works fine sexually and I believe I am somewhat normal in size when erect almost exactly 6 inches.  When flacid a normal state for me is about 1.5 inches but it can and has retracted all the way inside my body, not painful at all, mostly just irritating from a mental standpoint.  If I wear pants that are really tight in the crotch it will push it all the way in.  After reading this entire thread of posts I think that there is nothing really wrong with us, just made this way, and the mental side of it just makes things worse.  I am very self concsious about it and just thinking about someone seeing my penis makes it retract.  I am going to investigate the zinc supplement mentioned and see if that helps me at all.  I am very interested to hear from anyone that has seen a urologist and provided them with all of the info that is here, and what the Dr. said.
Hey Guys.
I am 29, from germany, and i got the same condition as mostly all of you since beginning of this year.
Stiff spongious bodies when walking, standing, better when lying.
Sometimes deep red spots on the penis head and foreskin. These usually go away
within 1 day. Somebody of you noticed that?
Seems a bit like a
retraction of penis and/or scrotum. specially when stressed, nervous and
sometimes also after toilette (big buisness).
It gets slightly better when urinating/sitting on toilette and with warm water,
which makes me believe, its a muscle/nerve problem.  
Had already MRIs of brain, spine, hip. with no results. US of prostata seems
to be very slightly changed to a condition with a somehow "loosen up" middle part
of prostate.  
The doc finaly gave me alpha blockers, which seem to affect the conditions positive, but does not heal it. Means, it retracts still, but not as frequently as without alpha blockers. Also not so intensive (without it goes more often all the way in which is quite painfull)
At the moment they are examinating my blood clotting.
But I found not a single doc, who is familliar with these problems... (even not in the local university hospital)
On the internet i found stuff about "hidden penis" or burried penis. But that seems to be a constant condition..
What i am riddling about is, where it retracts, if there is no space at all. and if it retracts because of muscles or because of something else. Cremaster is as i believe the wrong aswer, because the penis retracts sometimes even, when the scrotum looks normal.
Could it be, that the intestine somehow pulls the prostata or urethra up- or backwards
or something presses in the inner parts of the spongious bodies.. !?  
Seems a bit like a ... cronic (chronic) infamation of the penis!? but the blood tests does not show any signs of infamations...
Hey Everyone,
Student in medical school here, and I have the same problem. I'll tell you what I know, but remember that I am not a doctor and what I say here should not be taken as true medical advice. Length and girth of the penis can change dramatically throughout the day due to different reasons (ex. cold weather). The main factor that controls the size of the penis at any given time is the amount of blood flowing through it. When men become aroused, certain arteries open up to allow blood into the penis, while certain veins close off to prevent most blood from escaping, which causes an erection. When men are no longer aroused, the process is reversed. Not only does our body have the ability to move blood to and from the penis when needed , our bodies can also move blood to and from all different areas of the body:

Example 1: After a really big meal, our bodies move a lot of blood from our muscles and other areas to our stomach and intestines. This is partially why we get so tired after a big meal.

Example 2: During exercise, the body takes blood away from the stomach and digestive tract and moves it to our muscles and other areas.

Those are the facts, this is where my opinion comes in. The second example is probably the main reason why the penis tends to retract so much during exercise, especially intensive exercise. Our bodies are trying to move as much spare blood as it can to our muscles, and will even take as much blood as it can from the penis, causing a more pronounced decrease in length and girth than what occurs during the rest of the day. After you've finished exercising and cooled off, the blood begins to return to it's regular places, which is why the penis comes back out.

I think that this happens to most men who's penises are relatively short when not erect, but are average or longer when erect. When not erect, there's a lot of extra skin and tissue there pushing forward, while the structure of the penis is trying to stay back. The skin and tissue will sometimes overtake the head of the penis giving that "turtle" appearance.

I also think that being overweight has to do with it as well. If the fat pads in the inner thighs and around the base of the penis are thicker, they will also push the skin and tissue around your penis forward while your penis stays the same length.

As for the cremaster muscle, it only controls the scrotum and testicles. Testicles are very sensitive to temperature. If too hot or too cold, they cannot make sperm correctly (this is why the testicles are outside of the body because the inside of our body is too warm to make sperm). When the weather or room you are in is cold, the cremaster will contract the scrotum to pull the testicles closer to the body to warm them up. If the weather is very hot and you are inactive, the cremaster will relax to cool them down.

The bottom line is that men should not be fearful of exercise due to this issue. As far as I know, there aren't any serious physical problems associated  with it, and it happens to many, many men. I think that the only safe way to try and prevent this is to lose some fat through well controlled and supervised diet and exercise. I hope that I've helped calm some fears out there.
You may be right with everything you said, but i think we are talking about a different issue.
its not only about small penisses, its also about stiffness in flacid state and temporary bloody red spots on the penis head which disapear when in a real flaccid state (e.g. while lying on bed)

in another forum i found the name osteitis pubis, but i am not quit sure if this might be the right diagnosis. maybe someone can comment about it...
Well, what you wrote seems the most logical explanation thus far!  I digress with McPain's last post- you were right on addressing the complaint most of us are dealing with (NOT stiffness in flacid state and red spots as suggested by McPain- maybe that's his issue, but not the vast majority of us here).  

Now that you mentioned it, I do recall reading in the past that weight loss indeed can help with the penis appearance in the flacid state and other issues.  MDStudent- have you heard anything additional about the success of zinc supplements w/ this issue?  
THanks for the detailed reply.  Certainly what you're saying makes a lot of sense.  

Penis retraction is kinda my secondary problem.  For well over a decade my penis has been getting thinner, and I've suffered a lot of pain in my penis over the past few years.

I've spent many, many hours trying to find out what's happening (the doctors seem unable to help) and circulation, hormones, nerves all seem possible causes, but none fit exactly with my symptoms.

Lately me penis has been getting harder, and smaller, in the flaccid state, especially at the times you outlined, and after sex.  It's almost like the blood is constantly draining away until I do something to get it back there (trying to pick my words carefully here!).

I was just wondering if you had knew anything that might go some way to explaining th atrophy.  It's not just a case of different circumstances etc as if you were to look at it, at the same time of day, same temprature, state of arousal etc, it will be smaller the second day and it keeps happening.

I've heard there's a valve that controls blood flow to the penis when flaccid, can you tell me the name of it?
McPain: I'm sorry, but your symptoms are a little beyond my knowledge. Although, I looked up osteitis pubis, and it seems that your symptoms do not match up with it. I also wanted to give you some praised for going to the doctor, which is definitely the right step to take.

LetsFixThis: Thank you for your comments. As for zinc, I haven't found anything definite. The clinical usefulness of taking a vitamin, mineral, or herbal supplement is difficult to determine since there are so many studies with conflicting results. Sorry that I could not answer your question.

Yossarian: Your issue is also beyond my capacity, I'm sorry. Though I have found that the penis cannot truly atrophy. What this means in respect to your issue, I'm not sure. As for the valve of the penis, there isn't really one specific valve. Arteries are surrounded by a layer of involuntary muscle (we cannot consciously control it). When these muscles contract, they constrict the arteries. When the brain is aroused, it sends signals that tell the muscles to relax allowing blood to flow into the penis. When the pressure in the penis increases enough, the veins inside the penis are pinched off, slowing the escape of blood. When the brain is no longer aroused, the muscles contract again to limit the flow of blood into the penis, which relieves the pressure allowing the veins to open up more. The name of the two major veins in the penis are the deep dorsal vein and the superficial dorsal vein (this is the one you can see running along the top of the penis). So all in all I don't think that there is one true valve.
Thanks for replying so quickly.  I know the conventional wisdom is that the penis cannot atrophy, and normally I put great faith in the medical profession, but all I can say that it most certainly can, and have spoken to well over 100 men online who will tell you the same thing.

That's what's so frustrating about the whole thing.  The fact no one can tell me why this is happening, and are completely dismissive of my problem.

Thanks also for your information about arteries and valves - I'll look into this further.
I just googlet a little bit and found out, that
there is maybe something similar in hands and feet, which
in some cases can also apear in the penis. its called

RAYNAUD’S PHENOMENON (OF THE PENIS)
unfortunally i did not menage to access the publication.
If anyone can, please let me know.

It seems to be often connected with migraine headaches,
which at least i suffer from too..

I have this problem. When  Im sitting in class I feel my penis retracting into my body and it feels weird. My penis is 4" long  erect and it goes to less than an inch when its retracted. I just thought its because of my penis size but I guess not.
I have the same problem and Ive been to the urologist many times. He found that I had an infected prostate and gave me antibiotics for two months. It didnt cure it but it helped. I went back today and he said he cant find anything but he said that it could be a pinched nerve in my upper back and since my back is often sore in the area he mentioned he suggested to try a chiropractor. Ive been dealing with this for years so Im hoping this works. Until I read this I thought I was the only one this had ever happened to. If this works I will repost with an update
Hi guys,

I have had the same problem since I can remember. Interestingly I had a photo of me, a naked baby, in my grandma's arms. Even in that photo you can see the turtle head.

to mdstudent11: I go swimming everyday at the university pool. I have never came upon a single guy whose penis is not hanging. Some have smaller ones, some have huges ones, but all of them are hanging. I never take off my swim suit. It's such and embarrassment.

One thing I find in common with other guys is depression. I had an unstable family and has always had psychological problems and I'm on antidepressants most of the time.

I read all the post. I think mdstudent11's comments seem logical, although I don't agree the symptom is common. I wish there were a treatment.
TREATMENT!!

It seems like everyone has the same problem, but no TREATMENT.  I searched extensively and the only treatment I could find was offered by a plastic surgeon.  Here is his website:
http://www.altermd.com/Penis%20and%20Scrotal%20Surgery/buried_penis.htm

I'm not sure this would help you shannonwooten because your problem only occurs occasionaly, but it may help some of the others who posted here.  Please if anyone has any other TREATMENT options (especially non-surgical) please start your post with it in detail.

Thank you!
I also have this problem and post up my question on Urology form. Hoping a doctor would answer my question. http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/736664

It looks like everyone here look for answer. If anybody finds out some news about this condition, then please post.
Hey everyone, I started searching about this after reading the first few comments, mainly to learn more about the condition if I could.

I came across a few sites, but one in particular may help you all:
http://www.dcmsonline.org/jax-medicine/1998journals/january98/abnormalities.htm
it says,
"The retractile or concealed penis is most often noted in young boys after circumcision. The penis rather than protruding normally tend to retract beneath the prepubic fat pad resulting in an uncircumcised appearance. Parents often comment on the "lousy job" done by the circumcising physician. In fact, however, this condition has little to do with the technique of the circumcision, but rather relates to the presence of dysgenetic bands of tissue in the dartose layer of fascia that act as "rubber bands" to retract the penis proximally. Surgical correction requires division of these dysgenetic bands in severe cases. Less severe cases of penile retraction may actually improve at the time of puberty."

I'm not sure how helpful that is, but I'll keep looking for you all! I'll also ask around too. Good luck everyone!
Okay, this just happened to me--and I have a theory why.  I'm 46, my circumcised erect penis is about 5-1/2" long, and 1.5" diameter.  In normal retracted state it's about 2" long and nearly retracts into itself on its own.

Sometimes certain pants I wear push against the head of my penis just enough to make it retract into itself.  This is very uncomfortable, and feels rather emasculating.  Not to mention embarrassing having to run off and pull it out every once in a while.  Until recently, this happened infrequently.

Now I'm frequently pulling the head of my penis out of its sheath, because the retraction is quite uncomfortable when I'm sitting or standing.  And I think I know why it's happening now:

A few weeks ago I spent a 3-day weekend with the woman in my life, who lives in another state and who I don't get to see enough.  Needless to say, we spent most of those 3 days having mad sex.  My penis was pretty raw and sore after that.  The next day it was still chapped, so I thoroughly lubricated it with skin lotion enriched with vitamin E.

My penis healed over the next three days in its normal retracted state.  But in that position I think the scar tissue healed in a way that slightly tightened the accordian-like rings of skin around my penis, because now it retracts inside itself much more frequently.  Since this was the result of a recent action, I'm wondering what counter-action I can take to reverse this.

I feel like if I hang a weight on the end of my penis somehow (safely, so my circulation isn't cut off) this problem might reverse itself.  Would I need to make my penis raw and chapped again (3 more days of continuous mad sex?) just prior to trying this?  If this might work, what kind of weight arrangement and how much weight should I use--and how often should I "hang" it?  Constantly for days or weeks?  Only occasionally?  

Any suggestions?  Or am I crazy?  Thanks in advance for any helpful ideas anyone might offer!
hi!

i can affirm that it might have sth to do with having too hard sex,
after sex i have very similar feelings. Also i have these pushing underwear
retractions sometimes.

but what do you mean by "raw", "sore", "scar tissue" and "healing" ?
did you have visible wounds on your penis after sex?

or do you mean, that your penis was hard in flaccid state, and somewhat
numb and retracted (thats my penis is like after sex).

however, if there would be real scar tissue or wounds, the physicians would
be able to visualise it by ultrasound..
in my case they never found anything (had 4 times ultrasound + a mri scan)

another question: when it retracts, can you feel a hardening in your pelvic floor
behind your scrotum?
i am questioning, if it might be just a "simple" thing like nervous muscles in
the pelvic floor as a result of sex (which stresses the pelvic floor), sport (as well muscle usage) or panic.

What I meant by describing my penis after 3 days of mad sex as being "raw" and "sore", is that it was just pink and chapped from all the abrasion.  No open sores or blood, just pink and painful from days of rubbing (should've used some lube, but was distracted.)

I have never felt a hardening in my pelvic floor behind my scrotum.  I think it healed in a way that slightly tightened the accordion-like rings of stretchable skin around my penis, because now it retracts inside itself much more frequently.  Since this was the result of a recent action, I'm wondering what counter-action I can take to reverse this.

Hanging with weights?  Another 3 days of mad sex but don't apply any skin lotion afterwards, and keeping it extended with a hanging weight while healing?  There must be a way to "undo" what I just did.  Help!
Hi every one. Man am I glad I found this site. Thank you keychain, it was your post on the medical site that linked me here. All the searches before never turned up this site.
Anyway, here are some things that might help the collective info gathering, as we are looking for shared problems.
I have had this problem all my life. and yes it is uncomfortable.
I am 5'10", 185lbs, 33 years old.
I have 5 kids ( so no problem reproducing)
I am a little on the small side, about 5.5 erect, flaccid- you name it, inside - to 3" and everything in between.
I have never smoked
I lift weights sometimes
I have a lot of muscle and a little fat ( mostly around the belly )
very hairy body ( I keep controlled thru manscaping )
No daily medications ( but I have trouble with high BP )
I also am a nervous person, worry a lot, I have a LOT of stress.
I also have back problems, some numbness in parts of leg, feet.

From reading all these post, here are somethings I noticed.
Stress seems to be a common factor
Being a sensitive person (anxious, nervous, worry a lot)
High blood pressure   (constricting blood vessels)
Back problems         (damage to the nerves that relate to that area)
Hormones                (mood swings, temper, hairiness, baldness?)

Here is my thought:
I pastor a church, which is a VERY stressful job. I also have 3 kids who are 5 and under. There are many other things that are adding to the stress in my life. I can control some of this with prayer ( or I would be dead already). The penis is a place were body and mind meet. Think about this, the more aroused you are the bigger you get. And who hasn't delayed ejaculation by switching your thoughts to something non-sexual. The mind and the body are linked in the penis
among other places. When men are stressed their blood pressure goes up, and there is all kinds of stress (fighting, arguing, lifting weight, thinking, worry, post-dramatic, running, etc). This is important: there is stress that you can't feel! That is why high BP is called the silent killer. In my life, as embarrassing as it is, my shrinkage is a barometer that lets me know; too much stress! Think of it this way, it's like a temp gauge in your car. We are so worried about the needle (no pun intended) that we are forgetting the engine is being damaged. Here is what I am trying to do about it.

I am trying to lose the belly fat ( sign of stress?)
I am trying to add more bananna and lima beans into my diet ( My friend who is a genis swears it lowers BP naturally, something he studied about potassum and some other trace minerals the body lacks in people with high BP)
I need to pray and de-stress more.
I need to be more laid back and quit being so up-tight.
I will try the zinc and cranberry.

Sorry this post was so long, I was kind of thinking out loud.
Just wanted to let you know I can relate. This too is happening to me however not as frequent. I too spend a lot of time sitting at work and notice that when i get up my penis has retracted into itself like some kind of turtle sticking its head in after being scared. I have to actually pop it back out. I guess could say I am a little over weight and don't exercise as much as I used to .I have not told my wife she is a cancer survivor and don’t want to cause her any unnecessarily stress not to mention the embarrassment to myself. I never thought that so many other men were having the same problem. I don’t smoke, not on any meds and as far as mood is concerned it's ok. I just went into Google and typed retracting penis and this is where it took me really weird that this happens and no one has a definite reason why I hope it is not the beginning of some major disease that is now just coming to the surface. I will continue to monitor this site for any further updates
I now have this condition which was seems to be a residual result of a radical prostatectomy which also left me impotent. My penis "turtles" all the time since the operation. Haven't found anything as of yet to help change this condition. I don't feel that there is anything medically unsafe about it, but I agree with all the others, it's a little uncomfortable and annoying at times. Good luck to all of us and perhaps this bit of information will help someone figure out what to do about it.
I'm 49 years old and also suffer from retraction. It's doesn't actually disappear to the same extent as other here, but does get embarrasingly small. I've probably always suffered from it but in the last few years I have noticed it much more. One thing that hasn't been mentioned. I don't know whether it's just me but I am much more likely to turtle in the morning. Often in the afternoon I have a better hang. Is this some hormonal body clock thing ? There must be a clue here.
i am a college first year student .i am not able to remove the skin from my penis tip.till a week back i didnt know that the skin from the penis tip can pushed back and the inner part can come out.when i tried this i am not able to push back the hood from my penis.i am very much afraid bout it.pls someone help me pls pls pls......i need help.
My memory isn't the best, but I believe this starting happening for me, about 5 years ago.  I had quit smoking using a wellbutrin, and noticed this happening primarily when exerting with my legs.  ie ( Mountain Bike, heavy pushing or lifting, and yes especially squats.  Yet not so much from a lunge type exercise.  It is usually remedies by applying light pressure to the top base of the penis and lightly massaging.

I would be curious to know if there is an adrenaline connection, as I have also developed pain in my lower right abdomen which doctors have had no luck fixing.  

Not appendicitis, and not fixed with anti inflamation (inflammation) meds.
Curious also about the zinc and cranberry option.
your problem has nothing to do with this thread.
sounds to me as you suffer from phimosis.

its nothing that unusual, but even so really needs
to be treated.
you should for sure see a doctor.

It might need an operation to fix that.

more details see e.g. on wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phimosis
I'm putting up the list of known information regarding my condition

Here are my answers.  

Trauma                         No
Smoke                         use to but stopped about 7 years ago 1 year relapse non now
Shampoo                      Random
Exercise                       couple time per week
Retract Frequency          Only when exerting with legs
Drugs                           Light recreational
Medications                   Anti depressants / Wellbutrin for smoking
Zone Out                       No
Vision                           Near sited, and Lasik repair.
Mood                            Pretty even
Concentration                Good
Memory                       Good
Penis lengthening Exercises      Never tried.
Has been witnessed by someone     Yes.  

Other items:
Urination:  Often complete followed by 3 to 6 extra short bursts.
Age Notice: 28 - 33
Penis When Erect: Slight curvature  
Pee Shy: Somewhat
Associated pain:  None

If anyone else want to put this info up I could compile a spreadsheet for us to review or even show to a doctor.  ( or several doctors by way of the group and we could all get second, third, and forth opinions on the issue)

Post em with anything else odd that you can think of just in case it is a common symptom, and I'll put it together.  
I think this is a good approach! Here are my answers:

Trauma                         No
Smoke                         No
Shampoo                      Random
Exercise                       up to first retractrion regular, since then nearly none
Retract Frequency         When exerting with legs / walking / more frequently in the     morning / more when in bad mood
Drugs                           none
Medications                   have tried alpha blockers / anitbiotic, currently nothing but skin cream daily (which seems to improve the condtion a little bit)
Zone Out                       yes, when retracted
Mood                            little bit stressed, anxious when retracted and maybe before
Concentration                Good when not retracted
Overweight                    no
Memory                       Good
Has been witnessed by someone     Yes.  

Other items:
Urination:  Complete sometimes followed by 3 to 6 extra short bursts.
Age Notice: 28 - 33
Penis When Erect: quite straight (Very slight curvature upwards)
Pee Shy: No
Associated pain: Sometimes in testicles, legs, lower back, penis often hard in flaccid state/ sometimes red circular spots on glans (glands) (no fungus), seems to improve using creme

Additional question:
Diagnosis/treatment undergone: MRI Head, Back, pelvis, result: everything normal
MRI angiography Pelvis /Legs : no results, Extensive Blood tests, Sperm tests: No results, skin tests: no fungus, ultrasound (all inner organs, penis, testicles, prostate) (3 Times):everything ok
Next on the list: SKIT (afraid of that, possible will not let it be done)
psychololist/neurologist

another addition:  

maybe associated or cronical diseases: migraine headaches
I have completely quit smoking for 25 days now.  There has been no real improvement.  I continue to have a mild pain in my lower right abdomen.  I don't know if there is a connection.  I'm not really over weight, but out of shape for certain.  I'm going to spend the next few weeks eating well, taking a little more time from work, and exercising.  Probably some light weights and bicycle/punching bag for aerobics.

I'm sure my water intake is not what it could be, so I plan to increase and keep a regular amount of water in my system.   I know I have a fair amount of extra around my stomach, and sometimes feel myself holding it back. It's all worth a try, I'm sick of this.  Really, 33 is not old.
I re read your post and it what is happening to you sounds exactly like my situation.  I even think I started notice around the time you are now, about 4 ears ago for me.

I know the strange discomfort there is when retracted.  Not painful, just not natural feeling.

I noticed this less when I was having more sex,., break up about a year ago and kinda in a dry patch.  It may have been I had hit a dry patch around the time that it first occurred.

I also do not work out much, and have a sit down job.  I'm 6'1" and around 210 right now. My best weight seems to be around 190- 195 so I could stand to lose a 15 pounds.

I improved my diet last week, and going to start exercising this week ahead.  Anyone with any extra insight or just continued objective view point, separate from the anxious, desperate lure that arrived you to this post,  keep posting.
English is not my first langage.

I have this too
I have it since I was 18, I'm 29 (1998-2009)

retraction and Penis hard even in flaccid state

penis in erection : 6 inchs
penis in flaccid state : between 3 and 4 inchs
penis in "nervous state or retracted" : between 2 and 3 inchs

it's retracted when :

- It's cold outside
- I took Some drugs like : speed or canabis (I Dont take it anymore)
- When something makes me nervous, angry, affraid, every uncomfortable emotion active it

To solve it :

I have to shake at it thru my pants. and it comes back to a normal state for a few moments. Between 1998-2002 it was a nightmare. I had to do this all the time, I lost 44 lbs in 1998 because I was too nervous about it.

years after years : I understood that If I let my emotions goes out my system by screaming or crying this symptom goes away.

I don't have to see it in my pants, I feel it
It goes away and I get better.

I can be sur of one thing : WheN I'm relax I dont have
it. my penis is completely flaccid and not short

So to solve this retraction I feel my emotion.

When a man or a woman makes me nervous I just go. I don't watch ******** on tv who makes me feel bad.

I took a medicament in 2004 very helpfull in my case : xanax

In my case feeling bad and retraction can't be separate.

I hope this will help.
I made a wrong convertion between inchs et CM
erect : ~ 7.1 inch (~ 18 cm)
flaccid : 3.9 (10cm) et 4.7(12cm)
retracted : 3.1 (8cm) et 3.5(9cm) it can be worse in panic attack

I just want to be precise

This is a French website about Trent reznor from Nine Inch Nails

at this page
http://ninfrance.free.fr/histoire/histoire7.html
You can write the word "penis" in French "pénis" you will see a phrases :

"Mon pénis a commencé à rétrécir"

it'is explain that trent reznor was on stage in Berlin, 65000 people was angry against him because it was not kind of music people wanted to listen. http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Mens-Health/Penis-retracting-into-body/show/183912#

Trent reznor more or less said "It made me crazy and my penis started to retract"

So it as to do with stress .................

I love Nine inch mails's music :)

Seems to me everyone here has not had any luck in finding the problem to this penis retraction, whatever it is.  I am 44 years old and this began for me when I was 40 years old.  I was definitely depressed at the time along with anxiety when it all began.  I am no longer depressed since I realized I did not want this condition to stay with me.  When I was 43 years old, this problem seemed to partially disappear, happening very seldomly.  Nighttime erections at 43 years old started coming back since I lost those too when I was 40 years old.  Of course I freaked out and went  to many urologists who told me that there was nothing I could do unless I wanted a penile implant.  But my recovery was short lived when I hit 44 years old.  After surgery on my right knee, my penis once again retracted along with the loss of night time erections.  Thinking of trying Xanax just in case I think there might be some kind of anxiety.  The only anxiety I feel now is the uncomfortable anxiety I get when I think i am going to have this problem for life.  I have visited Dr. Tom Lue in San Francisco, suppose to be the best in penis problems and erection issues.  He was written books on the subjects and been involved in genetic therapy in laboratory studies on animals.  Don't know if he is yet doing this on humans.  Maybe only the rich and famous can get help, I don't know.  But I intend to see him within a month or two and talk about this problem.  When I visited him in the past, he sent me for an mri of the blood flow to my penis, everything checked o.k..  He wanted to do other tests, but since I don't live in San Francisco, I could not afford to stay.  It has been three years past and the problem with my penis persists, so this time I have made arrangements to stay hopefully for about a month, but finances will dictate how long I can stay.  When you are poor, you are poor, and there is nothing that can change that.  San Francisco is a very expensive place to live.  
i have just starting having this problem yesterday august 28, 2009. i was sitting at my oc wen suddenly i felt a tingling sensation in my penis. i went to bathroom and my penis was pulling in literally. I panicked and call 911. my friend and brother was wit me and i was so embarrassed and bending over holding my penis trying to keep it from sucking in my body. im only 20 years old but i was under alot of stress and very worried about sum things. my penis is really small while its flaccid but rises to about 5.5 to 6 inches on hard. and i am NOT circumsied by the way. i thought that may have something to do with it, like a guy said earlier. i can feel my penis retracting as i type this! . I read that zinc and cranberry may help so im gonna try those out. Anybody if u have any other sugestions please help! I'm young and very scared.
It's great to have this site to relate to and if you go back as I have and read each one, I think we can all realize most of these issues have a common factor...STRESS! Men are notorious for burying their anxiety and being too macho for stress relief help. I've had this problem for years. I'm a 48 year old, very high strung, physically hard working, ex-jock with normal life problems but problems still eat me alive. I'm afraid I have to admit I worry in great detail about certain situations. If I think back, every time this happens the worst, some sort of stressful situation exist. Whether job related or people problems. ( I do have a lot of friends that naturally dump their problems on me and I love being there for them.) Still ...STRESS!  To back this up, I'm not a drinker by any means but do enjoy a private glass of " mood" enhancer once in a while with my wife and I've noticed during that time of total relaxation, things "hang" in there just fine! But also during that time, the only stress I feel is falling short on performance for my wife.( Which I really don't worry about after nearly 25 years! ) I realize some of these are medically related, but the nasty "Stress" word occurs most often. Test yourself! See if your problem persist when your are at your most relaxed state. Maybe this helps! I've just learned to live with it. No Dr. is going to have a miracle cure unless it is a medical situation. As many others have said, they just give you that look like you need a diet or they have no idea!! But, don't be stupid about it, get it checked out if you have abnormal pain or "protrusions / pits" that shouldn't be there.

On a funny side, I confided in a friend once and ask him if he ever heard of a "penis drawing" up, and in his wittiness he shot back the answer....... "I've never heard of it but even if it did, how would it hold a pencil! "......Take it and laugh !! I still do every time I remember hearing it!

Good luck!
I'm glad I looked into this site, if only because now i know that I'm not alone.  There are so many posts and I read most of them, but it's hard to remember everything.  I have been worrying about this condition for as long as i can remember so when I see people on here saying that they are 45 years old and it started happening 6 months ago, I get even more worried because I thought that if anyone had something like this, that they would have had it all their lives, like me.  My penis does retract, varrying in degree, sometimes almost completely disappearing into my body.  I am not circumsized so i know that it wasn't the result of a bad circumcision.  I believe I have a normal penis, otherwise.  In it's flacid, normal state it is about 3-3.5 inches.  In it's erect state it is between 6.5 and 7.25 inches, depending on my level of arousal or rest period in between.  I'm assuming everyone measures from the top.  I have also noticed that my penis is getting smaller.  A little bit in the length but most noticably in girth.  I am 34 years old and I could swear that my penis used to go up to 8 inches.  Now i'm at 7 on a good day.  The erection also does not seem as full, although the stiffness is still there.  When my penis retracts, it can get down to about 1 inch I believe... at least it appears that way.  If I do bend over, it does appear that it is almost all the way in. It's more uncomfortable and annoying than anything else really, because to me it's more important that my size during erection is enough to satisfy my wife, which isn't a problem.  But it's a little bit embarrassing sometimes, especially when i'm walking naked in front of her or after sex, when it does shrivel up.  I have to put my underwear back on right after because i don't like how it looks.  So yeah, it is a bit annoying.  To attemp to further add to the collective information here.  I do work out very often, but I have had this problem at times in my life when I did not exercise at all. I run 3-4 miles, 4-5 days/wk.   I am 5'8" 173 lbs witha  pretty muscular build, but I do have excess fat in typical problem areas, specifically the belly, flanks and chest area.  The rest of my body is solid as a rock.  You can't pinch any fat from my legs, arms or shoulders.  In addition to the belly fat, I do notice that I do have some fat around my pubic area, which, if it were not there, I assume that the retraction would be less noticable.  Another thing I have noticed that is congruent to other observations on this forum is that during moments of stimulation of adrenaline, the retraction is considerably more severe.  Playing sports and working out also contributes to an increase of the occurance.  My diet is ok.  I don't eat a lot of fast food.  But i do dine out often and I love to eat, so if it's delicious, well made and usually high in calories, I will probably consume it.  I also cook here at home often and I do enjoy making high calorie foods from some great recipes that I find from time to time.  I also eat a lot of icecream, chocolates and other sweets, but I rarely consume any vegetables, as I don't really like anything green, for the most part.  So I would say my diet is ok... not that bad, but not the best it can be.  If there is any kind of deficiency, I assume it would be in B12 and maybe in iron or zinc, but I'm not a nutritionist.  The zinc supplement is something I'm willing to try.  Please let me know if anyone else has seen positive results from this.  Until I was 21, I never so much as had a beer.  After i turned 21 I did start drinking, pretty heavily with my fraternity in college and what not.  When I turned 23 I started using Ecstasy on a pretty regular basis for about 3 years and occassionally I would partake in a bit of cocaine.  I was never big on smoking weed, although I did also smoke a little bit from time to time.  When I turned 26, I almost completely stopped taking X and for the next 5 years, I maybe "partied" 3 or 4 times.  From 31 to 32 I did start using cocaine a little more often than I would like but quit almost cold turnkey.  Today, I do have a bit of coke once in a blue moon, meaning every 3 or 4 months or so, on a special occassion.  I don't smoke cigarettes.  I do smoke cigars anywhere from 2-4 on a given month, so not very often.  I still drink on social occassions, for example, when i go out to dinner, I have a bottle of wine with my wife.  When we go to a club with our friends, I usually have a few scotches, but never to the point where I would consider myself drunk.  Certainly not well enough to drive, but well enough to have a normal conversation.  Despite all of this, I remember having the problem with my penis retracting way before I even had a drink, when I was a teenager and at the beginning of my 20's.  So I don't attribute this to drugs or alcohol.  I work in Real Estate, but my stress levels are not very high.  I don't work for anyone and I'm one of the lucky few who have been able to benefit from this market collapse, so our finances are pretty good and there is no stress there.  I work at my own pace and don't have to answer to anyone, so really, I don't think stress is a big deal for me.  Plus, I'm a pretty easy going guy so there's not a lot of anxiety that i can point to.  My relationship with my wife is ideal.  I'm very happy with her.  She is gorgeous and intelligent and we get along wonderfully.  She is an accountant, also going to school part time to finish her masters.  No problems there really.  I have not had any trauma to my penis, that i can recall. I am not depressed.  I do not lose focus or "zone out."   I can't say I have sex very often as my wife and I are usually very busy all day and at night we just want to relax.  We have sex about 1/wk, but that is probably one of the few sources of stress for me.  I wish we would have more sex and we are currently seeing a sex therapist to try to improve this problem, which is really the only one we have.  I am not on any kind of medication, although I have taken ambien before on a regular basis for sleep issues.  I do not take it anymore and again, the problem persisted before and after the medication.  I'm trying to tell you all as much as I can about me, mostly because i feel that we shouldn't attribut this probably to many causes that have been mentioned here.  The only thing that I feel really corralates is the adrenaline, anxieties and fat around the area.  But I know that doesn't explain much.  The other concern I have is lack of size, which is bothering me because i was always very confident with what I had, but if this continues I'm afraid that I will lose some of my confidence, something that I feel is already happening.  I will try the zinc supplements and let you guys know if I see a difference.  The one thing I know has been a constant throughout my life, much as this has been is that I do not eat ANY vegetables... never have.  Hope some of this helps.  
I have this problem as well. Stress makes the problem worse, but is not the sole cause. The urologist also told me it "cannot happen" even though I am watching it indeed happen.

It does feel weird when it gets sucked up in there, but if that were all I had to worry about I would not have a problem.

Allow me to introduce you to my ongoing nightmare:

Several years ago, I had a yeast infection. Doctor gave me a cream to use. That caused the skin to become irritated. The Doctor gives me a steroidal cream to clear irritation. Over time it does not get better, it gets worse. Much much worse. Dermatologist gives me another cream. Another Steroid.

Turns out I am hypersensitive to steroids. Because these were all different creams, not all of whch say it right on the front, and I was not aware of the fact I am sensitive to steroids, I did not know that it was the creams that were causing the problem. The fact that my doctor and dermatologist didn't is criminal considering what happens next.

Steroids cause the skin to thin. Steroids are also absorbed in some areas, like the Penis, more than others. In any case. The extreme rash turns into skin breaks (or tearing or rips) as the horribly stressed skin just starts to open up. Just after the scarring, I realize the problem with the steroids and take myself off of them.

These skin breaks leave me with scarring. The scarring doesn't stretch very well and there are more rips unless I keep it moisturized and take it out every day (basically, I have to masturbate daily with a moisturizer or the skin tightens up so much that the skin splits by itself or when I get an erection etc. etc.). Moisturize too much and the skin becomes stressed again, causing extreme pain. Dry the moisture problem out and the dryness and the thin skin cause the tightness & the accompanying tears. A vicious cycle is well underway.

These tears tend to multiply over time, and once there is enough blood-loss to that tissue (i.e. the scarring gets too much), the skin begins to shred off (excruciatingly painful and disturbing) and I have wonderful new skin. This has now happened to me twice this year. The new skin is thin, thinner for me even than normal new skin (thank you doc for the steroid-induced skin atrophy which apparently even effects the new skin).

Plus new skin is very tight. Ultra tight. Painfully ultra tight. At the foreskin area, which is where most of the tears and thus scars thus new skin appear. That new skin closes off the head of the penis (phimosis-like) and the doc tells me I have to force it open, causing -- you got it more tears. This is also where it makes the retraction problem that much more worse because the ultratight skin basically shoves the penis into a completely inverted shape that is now entirely within my scrotum area. I am also overweight so there is that layer of fate there that makes it look like the penis has retracted entirely. Then of course the new skin/scar tissue seals it up tight.

Voile, instant castration! (well what looks like it from the outside at least)

Did I mention that all of this process causes excruciating pain? The moisture rash is painful. The tears are painful. The tight scar tissue that forms after is painful. The loss of the old skin is very painful (and disturbing). The new skin experience is horribly painful. Opening that up to pee is even more painful because all of that is going on at the same time.

Oddly, the fact that the penis has (apparently) completely inverted is not painful in and of itself, but it is painful getting it out and the skin where the whole thing folds in on itself is prone to tears. I am still recovering from the second new skin horror this year and there is nothing that the doctor can do for me. The pain is unbearable at times and lasts for over a week. You cannot go out of the house because you have to lay out flat on your back and work the penis out to go to the bathroom. Every time. As soon as the penis is not erect, the whole thing breaks down and inverts again.

You can imagine the psychological damage on top of the other horrors I have undergone.

This has been going on now for more than 5 years total (the new skin thing is this year_. Sexual intercourse is very painful. Always. I have just had the second round of tears leading to new skin horror this year. The last time, the new skin came in and I was able to navigate my way to a nice balance for a while. Don't masturbate for a day or two however and I get tears in the skin, the cycle begins again.

To top it off, the skin will reject a cream once it gets used to it and that will no longer be effective (temporarily) and/or cause a rash starting the process over again. How long does this take? Its sort of random, I try to rotate with moderate frequency. And when the cream stops working it is not just that cream either, but basically anything like it (allzinc oxide based, all petroleum based, etc.).

I have a range of creams I use: A&D Ointment works wonders (until it suddenly stops) both the zinc oxide and the petroleum jelly versions, Silver Sulfadiazine is very good at making the skin stretch (until it suddenly no longer works), Lanisohl/Pure Lanolin (used by breastfeeding mothers and which I told the Dermatologist makes me feel b-b-e-e-e-e-t-t-er, seriously though that stuff is a trooper and has helped me out immensely), also a variety of Zinc family products like Vusion cream, Calendula, Desitin and other products -- a good place to find these is in the baby care aisle.  

Doctors have never – with one or two exceptions such as the silver sulfadiazrine –  helped me with this problem; they have in fact only hurt me in connection with this problem. A problem which was caused by them in the first place and because I followed their instructions. I discovered the A&D, the Lanolin and most of the other products through trial and error. I figured out how to navigate this problem through trial and error.

Sorry for the length. I am venting.
I have all the same symptoms. also i had a loud pop in my pelvis right above my penis. When that happened it got alot worse and i have also lost 3/4 of an inch in my erect length. I now have terrible anxiety and stress and its just getting worse. The three main causes: adrenaline, anxiety, and stress. Those seem to be in everyones case. then it just gts worse cuz we stress about it more because of it. hopefully we will all move past this
Hi, not sure if everyone has seen it but there is another thread on this website under the heading 'Penis hard even in flaccid state'  - Some good useful info there too.  Seems like there are a lot of men with this issue...how can we get together and document the essential, classic symptoms and put everything together and maybe get in front of an interested research group, university, or whatever?

I think Urologists are too narrow a specialty to shed much light on this...I believe it is some neurological/sympathetic nervous system automatic response.  I think maybe the field of Neurology will be a better pathway to an answers/solutions.

Definitely a physical condition that started with me, but is influenced mostly by stress/anxiety/physical exertion/adrenaline...not caused by it, but exacerbated by it.  Anyone know a doctor or researcher in the neurology field who might be interested in taking this up?

Please post your thoughts...
I read threw most of the comments, though not all.  I think that most of these problems could be managed using simple stretching and Jelqing exercises, to promote circulation and to stretch the suspensory ligaments.  
Hello everyone,
I have been making detailed notes, documenting and recording mine and others symptoms for about 2 months now and reading these forums, comparing everything.  Here is what I have:

Can anyone relate to all or most of these points?

1. Great variations in size, texture, feeling:

- 25-50% of the time is loose, normal size
- Sometimes light-weight sorta like it has an internal sponge cake texture or filling.  Has a basic structure and shape, almost 'normal.'
- Sometimes engorged with blood, very heavy, lead weight.  No structure, plump, very dead-like.
- Sometimes takes on a weird 'coke bottle' shape.  Like a band is restricting around the middle, while full and plump near the glans (glands).
- Sometimes after the firm-flaccid condition 'releases' for a bit, there is itching on the left and right penile shaft.  This can be a symptom of varicose vein formation.

- 50-100% of the time very firm or hard, while retracted to less than normal flaccid length.
- Varicose and/or spider veins forming.
- A 1/2" 'dimple' forming on the fatty pad of the groin, right where the shaft connects.
- A feeling of the penis being 'pulled' in.
- A 'brittle' or' shell-shocked' feeling in the penis when this has persisted for a day or two.
- Visible stress to skin, wrinkling, color spots, redness, irritation, etc.

2.  A common complaint is left-side veins 'popping' out or becoming much more prominent, also sometimes accompanied by some pain.  I've heard some complain of right-side issues, but I personally have not had much of an issue with that side.

3.  Shorter length.
- Usually nocturnal erections are normal length, and sometimes spontaneous are normal length, but many times, especially when other symptoms are present it can be difficult to get to full-length erection...and doing so usually results in some irritation and/or pain afterward.

4. Nocturnal erections variations
- Sometimes no nocturnal erections.
- Sometimes weak nocturnal erections.  Not fully rigid.
- Sometimes 'stuck' nocturnal erections that won't go down unless you get up and move around.  I am plagued with this about 30-40% of nights...having to get up every couple of hours and make it go down so a priapism doesn't occur.  Otherwise it's irritated the next day.  I take aspirin for this to prevent inflammation or scarring.

Ok, well I have seen 2 doctors so far and am going to another after Christmas (an andrologist).  I have formulated some ideas, and am looking for input or to get the message out there about this condition.  Urology doesn't seem to have any diagnosis for this, but perhaps we can change that, or perhaps the field of Andrology (erection doctor) can take up the issue.

Here are my ideas:

1.  Veins are not actually 'popping' out on left side, or growing larger (at least not without being compressed first).  They are showing up in relief of the pressure around them - of the skin being drawn up.  The veins haven't changed, the skin has been drawn tight around them...like when you take something and put in a vacuum bag and remove the air.  It forms a surface that follows the contents exactly.

2.  Physiological influence has greatly increased it's effects on these symptoms.  Particularly the release of natural adrenaline, noradrenaline, and other psychosomatic stress hormones in the body, etc.  I don't think anyone disagrees that stress and other physical exertion has a big effect on this, but in this case only makes it worse.  It is not the cause of it.  Stress and adrenaline are normal effects in the body, but the result of whatever caused this injury shows up now, with this as its trigger in part.  Before this condition existed, it simply didn't exert change on the penis that much before, so nobody noticed it that much.  I think everyone can probably relate to stress causing an erectile issue, but it is usually short-lived...not persistent.

3.  Varicose or darkening (spider) veins appear when blood flow is reduced or their flow mechanism is interrupted.  Veins have built-in receptors that control constriction, dilation, and flow direction.

4.  Adrenaline and noradrenaline (norepinephrine) both cause smooth muscle contraction, vascular constriction, increased heart-rate, etc.  Working out, getting stressed, etc. is a major contributor to this condition.

5.  Abstaining from sexual activity generally improves my symptoms.  I had to g around and around with this one because there was some conflicting data.  Getting a full erection seems to help...especially when it has lots of time to get to that full size, like at night.  However, I have also noted with regularity that ejaculation can cause an immediate onset of the firm and flaccid condition, even when it wasn't present prior to the event.  Repeated ejaculation in a short time frame magnifies this.

6.  The ejaculation mechanism releases noradrenaline locally to trigger orgasm, and is the reason why a man goes flaccid immediately after sex.  This hormone causes smooth muscle contraction and vascular resistance.  This normally fades away in a few minute to a few hours, but with this condition it persists for even a day or several days.

So, I have come to at least one conclusion...maybe not a cure, but at least some clues as to what this is occurring.  Please don't take my word for it, I only offer as a suggestion and it could be wrong...however maybe it has some merit and somebody can get this condition noticed.

So far, my idea of this is that I tend to think at the heart of this is a circulation issue which leaves the penis abnormally exposed to what normally is the usual hormone function of the sympathetic nervous system and sexual function.
WOW! Over 100+ comments!? Sorry that I have not gotten on sooner....
UPDATE

My husband went to see a urologist to see if his problem could be fixed. His urologist gave him a referral to see another urologist in San Antonio that has better knowledge when it comes to this problem and has performed the surgery to correct it. His apt is on Feb 2nd. I will update you all when we get home from the apt.

The urologist took a guess and said that the problem may be from a ligament that got damaged. If he had of seen a doc when it happened, he would have had a better chance of it getting fixed. He said that the urologist that he is sending my husband to will prob want to get an MRI to see what is damaged and how badly. I THINK (I didn't understand much) that the surgery would be to cut the ligament that is pulling his penis in.

I will update you all after the apt on the 2nd.
35 yr and also having the same problem on and off for the past year.

Problem 1st started roughly a year ago while lifting a keg of beer.  Penis retracted completely and ended up having to pull it out.  Couldn't get completely erect for about a day afterward.  Ended up going to the doctor who diagnosed it as a partial hernia.  Got MRI and some meds.  MRI was negative and meds seemed to help.  

Current status:

Continue to have on and off again re-occurences when stressed or when lifting heavy objects.  Unfortunately when it happens it only seems to get pro-longed by the anxiety I feel over thinking about too much.  Typically the penis is easily extacted but typically left with inability to get completly hard for a few hours.  Also typically feel light headed, nausea, and abdomen tightens up...not sure if that is caused by the anxiety or something else.  Glad to see I'm not alone, but still searching for a final diagnosis. I really feels like there is a physical issue (pulled ligament, hernia, etc) that may be brought on when stressed or through normal over-exhertion.  Normally both these would lend itself to normal,minor shrinkage but when it happens to me it is more than  normal male due to a pre-existing physcial condition.  Make sense?
After reading more posts since I posted, two things come to my mind that I should mention. During the followup of my surgery the urologist dfetermined that I had hypogonadism - my testicles were not producing enough testosterone. I am now taking hormone replacement therapy. It didn't help the retraction at all but the hypogonadism may have had a part in causing it. Secondly, the best thing I have found to prevent retraction and give me comfort from the tugging feeling is something I made and my urologist approved of it. It is simply a band of 1 1/2" wide white velcro I got at WalMart. I cut a piece long enough to go around my flaccid penis and my wife sewed a strip of the hooked part on one end of it. I stretch my penis out with one hand while I wrap this band around it midshaft, and overlap it so it stays together. This gently holds my penis out about 2 1/2' so it is very comfortable. If anyone would like to see how this works, I can e-mail pictures. I hope this helps someone.
I Thank you guys for your honesty. I thought it was just ME ...but obviously a lot of guys have the same problem  I have had this problem for as long as i can remember and it has effected my life dramatically  its very embarrassing . I am amazed that if it happens to so many guys why there is not some form of explanation as to why it happens its a very uncomfortable feeling and the shame factor has kept me from pursuing sport ie the locker room situation etc because for me it happens a lot of times during the day and i haven,t been able to understand WHY
Cheers guys heres hoping someone stumbles upon a proper explaination for this happening
if ANYBODY Knows of someone who is a specialist in this field of men,s health or sexual problems please post a link
you could save the sanity and lives of a lot of guys
It appears that my first post did not make it - I probably did something wrong, so I will do it again.

I was born with a condition called buried penis where my penis was withdrawn inside all the time - not visible at all. When I was born the doctor told my parents I was a girl, but later, with further examination, changed that. In the highschool locker room I was asked "where's yours?" and in the college locker room, "are you sure you are in the right locker room?" Flaccid, my penis would disappear completely inside. My erection measured 3" I had to pull it out manually to urinate. Untill around age 40 (I'm 58 now) my doctor - a woman - told me this was normal, but as I got older it got more uncomfortable. Finally my doctor referred me to a urologist. He just made some rude comments and dismissed the whole thing. It took me another 10 years to pursue it again. At around age 50 my doctor referred me to a urologist again. This time he agreed it was not normal and arranged for me to have a modified abdominalplasty (tummy tuck). This did nothing for the retraction, but did a lot for my self-esteem (I was not obese but a little overweight all my life.)  Since this didn't help the retraction, he told me about a surgical proceedure that would fix it. It involved taking the skin off the penis (degloving) and removing small muscles that weren't supposed to be there and suturing the telescoping layers (fascia) together, but he wouldn't do the surgery.

I looked in the Yellow Pages and found the Mens' Sexual Health Center and gave them a call. (I'll try to find their web site and post it if you would like). After a year or so this urologist got together with a plastic surgeon and they did surgery on me that removed the dysgenic bands (small muscles that weren't supposed to be there) along the shaft of the penis, and they cut the suspensory ligament and did a little liposuction around the base of the penis (without degloving it). After complete recovery my flaccid penis withdraws up to the glans (glands) (head) - about 1 1/2", and my erection measures 4". They made it so my penis could extend out, but did nothing to keep it out (they didn't sew the telescoping layers together) so I still get the uncomfortable retraction but at least the head stays out now. The doctor won't do another surgery to correct this. (My penis is small but at least the locker room guys can tell that I am in the right locker room!) I still have about 1" to 1 1/2" of pubic fat so when I push it back with my hand, I can add an inch to the measurements above. I would have more liposuction here if I could afford it.

This was my first post that didn't appear, but the second one that appears above was supposed to follow this. To summarize it if you didn't read it, this urologist discovered that I had hypogonadism - my testicles were not producing enough testosterone, so now I am supplementing with hormone replacement therepy.  This has had no affect on the retraction. To keep my penis from retracting uncomfortabily I made a band from 1 1/2" wide velcro (from any fabric store). I stretch my penis out with one hand and wrap the band around it at midshaft with the other (soft side in, of course!). This works very well and keeps me comfortable. I showed it to my urologist and he approved of it. If you are interested in seeing how this works I have pictures I can e-mail to you. Another thing that has helped is taking a medicine (for Reynaud's Syndrome) that dialites blood vessels in the extremities (normally fingers and toes) It is normally used as a a blood pressure medicine. This medicine relives the pulling feeling and shrinkage, leading me to think the condition is related to blood flow/circulation. I hope this helps someone.
from reading a lot of the posts above it sounds like most Urologists are either Ignorant or just useless when they dismiss most people as having an anxiety problem or that its all in there head ??? How can it be in your head when it is clearly a physical thing that ACTUALLY happens.... Anxiety or Not there must be some tendon or ligament or something physically pulling it back in.... but WHY and how do you stop it from happening if it is not a NORMAL thing...
other than a Urologist who else would be sympathetic or have some sort of understanding
and a possible feasible explanation
example a fatty pubic bone area might explain something but not everybody in these posts is over weight ??? and theres still the question as to what muscle is physically retracting it and if it can be severed or controlled somehow..
this has been the only decent forum page that i have come across on the internet after searching about this condition many times ,can someone send a link to this forum to a specialist in this area so they can spread it around to there colleagues in the area and we might get something going ?.. as it seems to me its more widespread than it actually is but because of the stigma and embarrassment about the condition its kept quiet or swept under the carpet and nothing is researched about it..
to a man his masculinity is affected big time by this condition
"just my thoughts" a frustrated sufferer
his name is dr whitehead check out the before and after pics on the left column
at www.drwhitehead.com
wow. Your post was 3 years ago but there is a straightforward reason that i can think of. The penis is essentially an extremity. When working out or going to fight or flight mode, the body sends the blood to the vital organs (muscles etc). The penis is not meant to be big all the time. Not that its meant to retract fully into the body no but his childhood injury may hav caused a complication. When he is aroused the penis comes back because the body sends the signal and sends the blood to the needed area
i have it too.could u pls look at my photos and see if tahts it
Im 20 years old and in my first year at uni (England). I have always been slightly conscious of my penis size although I do fit in the 'average' bracket (around 2 1/2" flaccid and 5 1/2 - 6 erect). For the past 2 1/2 years I have smoked cannibis regularly i.e most days. I have also dabbled with other drugs like cocaine and ecstasy in that period. Up until a few months ago, I would have described myself as a lively, outgoing person who loved to be around his friends and would find any excuse to go out. However, just recently things have changed. I started to develop quite serious paranoia a few months ago. At first this was only when I had taken harder drugs (coke/e). As anyone who has taken these drugs will be aware, your penis shrinks as blood flows away to other parts of your body. However, in my paranoid state, I found that these effects were made worse (maybe in my head?!). I started to believe that everyone else was aware of this and was laughing at me. This retraction then started when I was just stoned, along with paranoia, so I have since given up all drugs (not alcohol). This has not seemed to help me! I can't be around people now without this happening (my penis and testicles shrivel to childlike state) and I'm pretty sure it is obvious through my trousers!! I have confided in some friends with this and they are really worried about this paranoia/anxiety. I find the best way to describe this is 'penis panic', when you think that it is going to happen, it does!! For me, this is definitely a mental thing and not a physical problem, as I return to normal when I am by myself. Can anyone relate to this? It is killing me! I want to be the person I was before without this constant worry! Any help?
this is the same condition i have doctor said wow that's  weird but had no idea what it was or do i it all started after a  long work day and i helped some one push his car off the road and i felt it pull in the groin and the retraction started it happens under exercise and even just sitting in a chair has started to effect my hardness as of late and i really need a answer to fix ......oh and no depression or any problem other than retraction and the recant firm issue
What a bummer?  Don't know who to go to for this problem.  All the same problems with anxiety and depression, but learned very quickly that the long term effects of anxiety and depression and cause problems such as this.  It really doesn't matter what caused it, but matters more on how to cure it.  I have been reading this post forever and still nothing.  Been looking into a penis implant, but doctors don't necessarily want to do this unless you have had major surgery.  Doctors want you to try injection therapy before they decide a penis implant.  Just the way it is.  I personally could not inject my penis with a needle so that I become erect.  How realistic is that, although they tell me hundred of men do this.  So let me get this right, I am suppose to go to the restroom and inject my penis with a needle to become hard and then reappear into the bedroom with my partner.  The problem here is that the partner is usually someone new because just about every girl has left me because of this problem.  They all want something natural.  I even had my exgirlfriend refuse when I told her I was going to give this a try.  Her response," It is not you, I don't turn you on"  And of course everybody here is going to tell me that she didn't really love me.  Whatever, I heard it all and don't want to engage anybody on this issue.  Only issue I would like resolved is the penis retracting when adrenaline flows, i work out, or I exert myself.  I pray an answer out there because as I speak, I plan on pushing for a penis implant,  God bless,
Some places to look that helped me get some relief:
Google:
       buried penis
       Bihari surgery
       BJU International, M.U. Shenoy and N. Smeulders
       Gary Alter, Hidden penis
       Contempory Urology Nov 2000 Dr. Cromie

I had a modified version of this surgery and it helped!!! (and insurance covered it because of the discomfort it caused and the anomoly they found)
I just recently started having this problem.  I am 37 years old and about last Summer was the first time I had this happen.  I had just finished playing golf and when I got home I found my penis shrivled up as it appears everyone is describing.  I am circumsized, but it appeared that I was not.  This happened the one day back in August and I did not think much of it other than it was uncomfortable.  I thought it was from the heat.

Well, about two months ago it happened again.  This time I was at work and my penis felt weird.  I touched my crotch and I could tell that it felt weird.  Odd sensation on my penis.  I quickly went to the restroom to investigate and once again I found just as it did back in August on a hot day my penis was shrivled with the skin all around it.  The feeling does not feel good at all and I had to pull it out from the skin.  I made myself semi-hard just to get rid of the feeling before going back to work.

When I left to go home for lunch, I could once again feel that it did not feel right again.  I get home and once again the skin was over the head of my penis.  This went on for a few days and then suddenly stopped.

It did not occur again until probably about a month ago and once again only for a few days and then it did not happen anymore.  Until today....  Once again it happened just before the noon hour.  

It is good to read about others having the same problem.  I was thinking something was wrong with me, but I would still like to know what causes it.  I know I sometimes have a problem where my balls get tight and the sack constricts to a tight scrotum.  This has happened since I was a kid and seems to only be when I need to have a BM.  Odd, but it has happened ever since I was little and I have never given it much thought.  Then this started happening and it simply does not feel "right" in my pants.  I wear boxers and I have been for over ten years now.  For this to start happening was shocking and I spent a few times on the Internet trying to Google what was causing it without much luck.... not until I came across this forum post/discussion.

I look forward to reading other comments that are posted.

Thank you!
I visited my urologist today for a routine check-up and again we discussed my penis shriveling up and pulling back in. We have talked in the past about it being related to poor blood flow and /or circulation. Today I said to him something like "I wish someone would research how to improve blood flow so it wouldn't shrink up so much", and his reply was something like "your body is a very complicated thing". No encouragement there.

I did talk with an accurapuncturist some time ago and he researched the subject for me. He said he found nothing specific about this subject but thought I should try it because it might help. I can't afford to just try it now but I would like to try it sometime.

I'll keep watching here to see if anyone comes up with any help.

Dan
Dan,

I checked out some of the searches you posted on your Feb 07, 2010 post.  If I remember correctly, some of those sites talked about this happening when weight is gained.  I admit, I have gained some weight.  I am the heaviest I have weighed in my life (230), but I do not have a huge gut and the "pouch" above my penis does not seem to hang at all.  However, based on what I read from the searches you posted, it sounded like that's what one doctor was suggesting was the cause of this problem.

Curious how the weight of you and others compare.  The original post in this discussion (per shannonwooten), she said her husband is healthy, works out, does training for the military, etc. and yet he has the problem.  Curious those that have posted about this problem how your weight compares.

I am supposed to schedule a physical with my doctor soon and I am debating on whether to even discuss this with him.  As others have mentioned, it is embarrassing and I am not sure he would have much information to add.  Especially based on the comments of others that have shared this with their physicians.

Mine seems to be happening every couple of days at this point.  Not daily, but it did happen again yesterday evening and prior to that probably two days before over the weekend.  Weird!

I too will watch this thread and share ideas so we can see if we come up with a cause/solution to this problem.

Thank you!

John
Weight may be an issue sometimes - but not in every case. In my situation, as I mentioned, I was born with a "buried penis" which apparently usually resolves during puberty when genitals grow bigger and the body usually looses fat and gains muscle. Because of my very low testosterone, usual growth was minimal. I was fat as a kid - 200 to 220 pounds at nearly 6 feet tall during highschool. My buried penis did not resolve.

Most of my adult life my weight has been around 220. Just before my surgery I had a sedentary job where my weight went up to 240. I started walking 2 to 3 miles every day and being careful of what I ate and my weight went back down to 220. Like you mentioned, I didn't have the big gut, I was just big all over (well, almost all over).  : |

Now, 8 years later, I am around 200 pounds, but I still have a thick pubic fat pad - around 1 1/2" to 2" thick. This area doesn't respond to exercise and the fat here is the last to go, I am told. The doctor has approved surgery to reduce the fat pad but insurance won't cover it all and I can't afford my part.

I would encourage you to mention this issue to your doctor. The general term my doctor told me to use when I visited the urologist was "genital discomfort". Nobody will listen to you if you talk about how it looks or anything cosmetic, but if you stress the discomfort you may get their attention . It took me several tries and many years, but it was worth it. I hope this helps. Keep us posted about how it goes.

Dan
Late with an update...

My husband saw a urologist that has performed the surgery to correct the problem (what ever surgery that it is... sorry, not sure what it is called) but we don't have any new information. He went to the apt and the doc said that he wants to talk to another doc and never got back with my husband. My husband has an apt in a week and I will update once again.

Btw, his weight is also a factor. He is 6'4'' and 290 pounds. The doc told him that his weight also has a lot to do with it. He wants to get the surgery done but we will see what happens at his apt next week. Thanks for all of the replies!!
What a relief finally coming across people with the same pressing symptom i've been coping with for years !:) Well 'coping' is to put it mildly, it has destroyed my selfesteem to the point that i've become extremely hestitant to have sexual intercourse in recent years. While I'm still hitting on girls and enjoying it, I literally panick when they show genuine interest or want to have sex. I had a good sexlife untill some vixen destroyed it with her remark about mine being too small (4.5 erect) and made fun of it 'disappearing', she'd never seen one behaving like that lol. I'm in my early 30's now and that moment it still haunts me, but there's also a real physical side to it.
I seemed to have serious hormonal/growth issues till I was 5 or 6yo ,also I couldn't pull back my foreskin at all it was very painfull, so I was circumsized. After that I got regular growth hormone treatments by a pediatrician and my measurements taken till I started growing again, I remember him asking specifically if my penis was growing accordingly. The real shock came much later at 16/17 when my parents, looking embarresed but very concerned, asked how big my penis got when 'thinking about girls'  they had to know whether or not to report this to the doctor, I told them how big (added an inch) and looked relieved. I made sure to forget that embarresing moment asap, not aware that it would repeat itself some years later.
I've been chubby since childhood (family genetics) but surely not overweight, slimmed down a lot in my teens and while doing weightlifting till now , i'm 1.78m at 180p 16% bodyfat. The retracting issue has been occuring since I can remember but has got worse over the years now being permenant ,except during sexual arousal or morning hours. I don't know if its been mentioned earlier, but I've noticed that when erect, the shaft of my penis extends way beyond the base into the pelvis, like there's 2 inches of penis 'missing'  because it stays hidden in the pelvis. Wich brings me to my thread of hope, that my penis is somehow 'enlargable' , am I being realistic? Unfortunately I have a female doctor and in order to be examined by a urologist I have to discuss it with her, which I can't and won't, or should 'sexual dysfunction' be sufficient ?. I dont expect you people to react to my post, just had to get this of my chest, finally
I want to encourage your husband to be persistant and and have the surgery. The first time I went to a urologist for my problem he referred me to a plastic surgeon who did a modified "tummy tuck" (he found other problems that this helped) but this did no good for the retracting penis problem. A year later when the urologist saw that it had done no good he sent me back to the plastic surgeon. He told me he knew how to fix it and told me about the details but didn't schedule me for surgery. I called him every week or two for nearly a year and he was never "available" nor would he return my calls. He clearly didn't want to do the surgery. A while after I gave up on him I found a urologist in a "Mens Sexual Health Center" in the yellow pages. He saw me and agreed it was not "normal" but wanted to talk with another doctor - a plastic surgeon -about it. A year or so after that they did the surgery (Biharie surgery) and it helped. Keep at it - don't get discuraged - it will be worth it. I would be happy to provide more details if you would like, but this is probably not the appropriate venue.

Dan
hi there,
i have just spent the last hour and a half reading this!, and was relieved to see after two years or so its still going!!!!

i am only 18, and i have had this problem ever since i have been old enough to understand that its not how it should be!

Yes, my penis is small, and even though i am not particularly obese or over weight..  i do still have a lot of excess fat, especially around my hips and so forth.   So after reading this i thought, yeah maybe its just the whole fat issue combined with legnth.  ..but then i realized that when i was 5 i had an operation because it was discovered one of my testicles had not developed and was stuck half was up my body. (or thats what i was told at the time.. .. i dont know any more and dont particularly want to ask.

This bottom line is, when erect it can be up to as much as about 5 inches, that i can see!, if i feel around it feels like there is much more in with the fat but there we go maybe im dreaming!. As soon as it looses the erect state it is almost as though there is a spring winding it back in, and thats how it stays, as a turtle head, until the next time it is erect. I can pull it out to an extent but it just almost goes straight back in again, and so to this day i dont really know how long it would be and if it looks like its fully developed from puberty at a flaccid state.

I have learned a lot from reading this, up until now my other other theory was that too much blood was being taken from it when not erect and thus moving into a fat pocket. but im going to go away and see if i can feel anything of any use!.  Just thought i would post encase it is of any interest, or anyone has any ideas, as it has been suggested many times, its the most annoying and embarrassing thing in the world!!!!!.
cheers.
I just accidently found this forum.  thnk u all I thought I was the only one, now comes another curve. I'm 28 yrs. post spinal cord injury @ (c-5)-(c-7) nurologic level c-5 through t-10.  I function as a para more then a quad.  Never had a problem with erections up until 15yrs ago. Before 1995 always told by spinal cord docts that I was blessed with a non functional erection that it would go away when I would have sex.  Well it scared me to point that I would only have oral sex, then my ur doc sugested the injections, he sent me to clinic that specialized with this condition for spinal cord injuries.  The doc there injected me not in spongy part of penis but did it at very base of penis.  Since then I started noticing that my penis was not as big when flaccid and that I was SHRINKING. Went from 6" flacid to 3" and from 8.5" erect down to 5.5" erect. When Viagra avalible was given script and told to take 25mg dayly.Did not resolve problem had galbladder surg. in Feb. of 2000  post surg. continued to shrink was told that it was panic penis prob.  Then in '03 got west nile after getting better penis shrink to one inch flacid and started getting foreskin.  A yr. ago started having problems with penis contracting completely into scrotum I don't have indwelling cath. or superpubic I cath myself every 3hrs to drain bladder, when I cath myself now I have to go on a search proceedure in order to cath. I think now after reading all the above I have nothing in common with any of the rest of u that having same problem.  I am beginning to think that there is still more to this than meets the eye.  The common thing that links me with all the rest of u is that I also have been told the reason I am having this problem is that  what all u have been told.  I have followed every thing that my spec. doc have scripted or remediesto try and nothing has helped.  I have been refered to another specialest have coppied all of the info. above and taking with me to show this new doc that there is a problem and they need to find out what it is and how to correct it.  klondike_44
I had a similar penis retraction problem and this posting help me so I thought I post my situation in hopes it helps someone else.  I started having the retracted penis issue. It was uncomfortable, I was constantly tugging at my penis.  After a couple of months I began to be woken up at night with a painful nighttime erection – painful enough to wake me but not too bad.  One night I woke up and it felt weird.  I got up and checked it out and saw a significant upward curve.  I googled for a while and I’m pretty sure it’s Peyronie’s syndrome.  I read on the subject and most said it was a result of trauma - I know of no trauma. Several sites suggested a “penis extended” as a good treatment option.  I purchased a penis extended called “AndroPenis”.  I wore it for several hours almost every day for a couple of months and it has worked REALLY well.  It felt much better because it held my penis from retracting.  It wasn’t nearly as uncomfortable as the retracted penis deal.  After the first week the extensions are added and the penis stretching began to get uncomfortable but I’ve stayed with it. I’m not sure if my penis is any bigger but I don’t care because I haven’t had the retracting penis issue since I started using it.  If I bought one again I’d buy the http://www.penis.de/English/ . Buy the German version not the Canadian version.  Hope this helps others.
Interesting. I have gotten relief from something much less expensive albeit less effective. To prevent the retraction I made a band of 1 1/2" wide velcro (from WalMart). I stretch my flaccid penis with one hand while I wrap the band around it at mid-shaft and fasten it at the top side. The glans (glands) (head) can't pull back into the band so it keeps it out about 1 1/2 " plus the length of the glans (glands) - almost "normal". It doesn't stretch it all all like the extender does but there is no discomfort at all. If anyone is interested in trying this I can be more specific and provide pictures. I hope this is helpful to someone.

Dan
This is all very interesting to read, because i have always thought my problem (bearing in mind i dont have a good biological understanding at all of this kind of thing) is more like muscles or something just needs to be taught to not retract the penis. .. and i was going to post this until i read it had already been done!.    Dan, thats an amazing post thanks!. i was sitting there today trying to work out how i could make my own way of keeping the penis out..   (cannot afford such a thing as previously suggested!)  Im not sure i 100% understand however, youre just using the with of the Velcro in between the base and the glans (glands) to keep it out?

Thanks guys!
Sometimes it is not the testosterone that is the problem, but rather the balance between testosterone and estrogen that becomes altered. For example, as men gain weight in their abdomen the extra fat converts testosterone to estrogen. The estrogen causes additional fat accumulation, which causes more conversion of testosterone to estrogen, which  causes more fat buildup, and so on. It is this change in the balance that can cause problems in men.

Sometimes it's the development of other hormone problems that change the interest in or the ability to have an erection. So if you suspect that there is a problem, it is very important to see your doctor. Many family practice and internal medicine doctors do not feel comfortable evaluating some of these problems, and may refer you to a urologist for further testing. The good news is that if there is an abnormality in your hormone level, it can usually be treated with medication.

It's important to know, though, that intelligent lifestyle choices are an essential part of these treatments, and there are no magic pills that alone will help you. Simply correcting a low testosterone may not be enough to improve your erection if you:

* Drink too much
    * Eat too much
    * Eat the wrong food
    * Don't exercise
    * Smoke

this is something i just came across didnt know about it before re the testosterone being converted to estrogen

Bluescene,

The muscles in the penis (if there are "dysgenic bands") are smooth muscles and they can not be controlled by the mind. These dysgenic bands can be removed by surgery (mine were) but the penis still retracts as it shrinks without good blood flow. I have posted pictures on my profile page. I have a before surgery picture (check my posts above for details about the surgery), an after surgery picture and one of the "comfort band " I made with a strip of 2" wide Velcro - soft side in with a strip of the hook side sewn across one end to hold it together. I hope this helps.

Dan
Didn't have time to read all the posts. Yet. Geeze! am I glad I ain't the only one. Sometimes I look like a woman because it pulls in so far. Anyway I'm not sure when this started happening, but it seemed to graduately get worse over the years. I am 40 now and it is the smallest it ever was. This is embarrassing, but anything to help. I am almost 6 inches erect and about a quarter inch soft. I won't walk naked like I used to. This has changed my life. But if it helps for those of us looking into this, I had a hernia operation when I was 25. They put a screen in there.  ????
Deathrider:  Dr. Whitehead? Of NYC?  What was your experience?  My wife stumbled on his website and I will be in NYC in the next couple of months and want to know if I should make time to see him
Hi I m very glad to see this forum….that I m not only the one who is facing this problem. I m 28 year old and this problem started around 5 years back. One day while playing Cricket, while running on ground I found some heat got passed from my top to bottom from my back and suddenly I found my penis start retracting into my body. I got scared and rush to home. I showed to my family Doc and he is not able to understand what’s going on.  After that I got very depressed and retracting started happening almost frequently. After some day the frequency got lesser and it was happing only when I do some heavy work such as climbing, running and also when I got nerves. I thought this happened because of some muscles pull. So I went to one Massager for almost 1 month, he did massage on my back and stomach after that I start feeling better and my retracting problem was look like almost solved because the frequency got reduced to once a 2-3 days. The problem is not totally recovered but now retracting happened only when I am in stress.  Retracting start only when feel any kind of stress in my mind.

There is one more point I want to note that I born with undecided testes and I got surgery at my age of 12 (for right testes) and after that I got normal. I don’t feel any problem in erection and it is perfectly normal at that time. Retracting problem started at my age of 22. I don’t drink, smoke. Yes I m little over weight and can find some fat over my stomach.

I have Acidity problem and during penis retracting my left testes grows and my blood circulation start faster. In that situation I need to stretch my penis out, it feels me very uncomfortable but can’t stay in that position. Once I get into normal state I start getting Burp.

Now I am out of my country for last 2-3 weeks and again I m started facing retracting problem very frequently. I am trying to keep myself cool and away of pressure so I can avoid this problem little bit.

I hope somebody will find a permanent solution.
@dan thanks for the pictures/info dan, interesting to see... at least the surgery achieved something!.

Im going to go ahead and get some Velcro too!, think thats a great idea you should have sold that to us lol.

@ slightly different note, i did forget to mention that in my case, when not erect the blood circulation to the head of the penis does seam to be very bad, i was going wondering if this could be part of the problem, too much blood is leaving it = kinda shrivels up. (i guess maybe that answers itself..)

matt
Yes, the surgery did accomplish a little; I didn't mention that before the surgery my penis pulled in with so much strength that the Velcro band wouldn't have held it out, but after, it dosn't take much to hold it out. Retracted it is uncomfortable but with the band, I don't notice it at all.

I thought about charging somehow for my idea but I decided that I would be glad to pass it along freely if it would help others like it has helped me. Let me know how it works for you!

Dan
I forgot to mention something else about your post. Mine, too shrivels up and turns white when it pulls in. I talked with my urologist about this and he agreed there seems to be a circulation problem. He didn't seem to have any suggestion about what to do about this. Since accupuncture is supposed to stimulate circulation (and I know a number of people who have been helped considerably with pain control by accupuncture), I talked with an accupuncturist about it. He did some research and found nothing specific about it but thought it might help just because that is the type of thing it does. I haven't tried it yet but I may someday if and when I can afford it.

Dan
Incidence and Risk Factors. Peyronie’s disease has been found to occur in about 1 percent of men, although that may be a low estimate given that many men, particularly those with mild symptoms, don’t report the problem to their doctor. It most commonly begins in middle age, but it can develop in older or younger men

For more visit at http://urology.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=150
@ Dan, again all very useful info, there seems to be so many things it could be for me personally.
I gave it a go properly last night, biggest problem is keeping it there when at its most flaccid there is hardly anything for it to even hold to, so it just slips down inside the velcro!  =/   but i managed to get it just right and went to sleep like that lol (yes, embarrassing and sad to say but the first time i have ever laid down and been able to feel my penis lying on my skin!.)

interesting you should say it hurts when pulled in, none of my symptoms actually hurt, when its pulled in for me it just feels like a discomfort i have got used to living with, hurts more sometimes than others.

Well thanks for not charging!, you should still make a site or something and get people to donate and you'll email, them the idea or something - id back ya :)

@generictime, interesting link, reading that im not sure that explains the problem for all of us here... but still i guess i should show that to my doctor if i ever tell them!.

on another note...
I was properly looking today, and i think i have that varicious vains (spelling?!) thing too, if i remember right many people here said they have that, could be a link there i guess (or maybe im just being slow!)
who has this problem really  bad when they go swimming ? , I do and its not from cold water it was warm ocean water ... went swimming the other day and the retraction was bought on just by having a good soak :(
any ideas...
I'm glad you tried the band. Something to try to keep our penis from slipping back inside; stretch your penis full length and put the band near the middle or base. As your penis starts to retract, folds of skin will form between your corona (back ridge of the head) and the band (I don't know if not being circumsized would effect this or not). These folds of skin will add resistance to pulling in, and are not as sensitive as the glans (glands) to the edge of the band. (The shaft of my penis tapers down just behind the head so the head doesn't pull into the band, but I know this isn't always the case with others).

Also, I have never used the band when asleep. I have night-time erections and I figured that the extra blood and stretching was probably of more value than the band. During the day I don't have erections so the band is the best for me then.

I don't recall saying the retraction hurt - only uncomfortable. I liken it to bending my ear over and holding it there. Certainly not comfortable but not really painful.

Another thing that woirks well for me is taking Cialis. For two days after I take it my penis stays somewhat swollen - out about 2" - 3" and "plump". Too bad I can't afford to take it regularly.

Well, I hope something here is helpful. Let me know how the band is working for you.

Dan
ive had the same thing since i was 9. only it went in. sometimes i would sit inholding my pubic  the bathroom fr an hour untill i finally got it back out ive always been too scared to tell my doctor
i hear you mate...   at that age i was never sure if it was meant to be like that lol. Take it you dont know what happened when you were 9?     ..Im too scared to mention anything to anyone too!.

@Dan, interesting info as always, I was waiting until i could update you about the band before replying, but I have been so busy during the day I havent really had the motivation to sit there trying to start playing with it.. but I will again from tonight!.   I still have the problem of not having enough for it to grip onto, it gets so aggravating it makes me want to go and super glue some velcro onto my penis so i can hold it like that!,..but yeah, your suggestions were good i will work something out.
Hey guys I have this problem also and it git worsen after I intensified my smoking habits. I've found on net some treatment with Botox applied on Dartos Muscle - "Journal of Sexual Medicine".
I'm about to turn 17 and this always happens to me when I'm working out in athletics. Everytime I bend down to do a power clean it reatracts in all the time. I have to tug on it also to come out. I feel embarresed when it retracts in since I'm young and all. I'm not overwheight either
Cause: Stress or Anxiety.  Mental state is everything.  Thinking about it makes it worse.  Regardless of the injury that happened at 4 yrs old... deal with it and stop obsessing over it.  Yes it can be troublesome but everybody has it so cope.
I dont doubt for a moment mental state isnt a cuase / influence of the problem.. but I also believe it is fairly clear from the situations mentioned here and personal experience, that it is not the only cause.

+ im a kid who has no confidence before worrying about my penis vanishing!..  if i knew how to deal with these things i would but i cant so im here for more knowledge not to be told we should just get over it ): lol
Yes, it is possible for the penis to appear to retract into the body... I know because I am a 47 yo male given to exploration of the body's capabilities. I have also sustained injuries to the pubic region in the past. The ligaments have been slightly stretched, but bodilly function is normal. When you grasp the foreskin of the flacid penis and push it up over the glans (glands) and squeeze, it has the effect of rolling the penis back inside the foreskin. The soft shaft offers little resistance and curls back on itself into the front part  of the scrotum. In a normal healthy individual, it springs straight out again. Very flexible, and extremely durable. In my case, nothing is broken, just  slightly stretched. Post injury, we are very fortunate to have normal erectile function. I would advise to stop worrying... Worry is often the worst part by far. Hope this helps. K.
I have the same problem, I had this happen many times over my 63 years. When I have Constipation I have the  Penis retracting into body often.

And it is very uncomfortable at times.  It happens to me at the worst times. Meeting new people, Playing a game with many people around. Getting up to speak to a group of people.

But, it happens more when I have Constipation.  If I have good bowel movements, it does happen.
I am a 68 year old male.  I have BPH (enlarged prostate).  I have had this condition for about 5 years.  I am currently takong Terazosin and Finasteride, (5mg) daily.  We follow Macrobiotics and consume a vegan, all organic diet.  I do not smoke, drink alcohol or coffee ... [More] , or use drugs.  I do not consume sugar, salt or any animal products.  My wife and I moved here a little over a year ago.  Before that we lived in Lancaster, CA.  I have started having the retracting penis about 6 weeks ago.  I am convinced it is due to the spraying of chemicals in our atmosphere (CHEMTRAILS).  This spraying has gotten worse od late.  You will notice big X trails in the sky.  We are breathing these chemicals in and they are poisoning our food and water.  I have a lot of information to share about this problem.  Please contact me so we can discuss this most insidiuous problem.
I see this thread has been trundling along for just about three years now with still no definitive answers.  I have also suffered from this problem but am now cured.

Exertion / exercise appears to be a familiar trigger but I also had feelings of anxiety including that awful feeling of adrenelin running through your body - especieially the pit of the stomach.

Although individuals felt that their penis was shrinking, it is just part of the body's "flight or fight" mechanism.  The body does not need the penis at times of distress so no need for blood (or anything else in that region) whilst there is trouble eslewhere.  But what is the trouble????

For me (and it is rarely diagnosed) it was a  lack of testosterone.  Yep, a simple bloodtest from your GP can identify this.  Very rarely will a GP refuse to do this as it is a great and cheaper alternative to prescribing anti-depressant and other drugs (such as propranalol) to try and fix the situation.  My GP is great and gave it a try.  THREE days and I had erections, one week I had a fuller penis, two weeks and it stopped retracting and I am nearly back to normal - no I'm not having you on,  my sex drive has increased!!  Honestly, ask your GP for a blood test to look at your testosterone levels - I feel much better, more confident and not tugging at my penis to bring it out.  Please don't suffer (like I did for nearly a year) get the blood test and treatment.

Hope this helps

Jim
hey jim, i read your post, really nice, i wish i could get help like that too. so basically all your problem is over now? Congrats. I heard that Zinc tablets also help, which is used to increase testosterone levels... hmm, it's fitting. I think this might be the cause.

Btw, could you please tell me what your GP did after the test? did he give you any medications? and how long for? Plz answer. thanks, and lets hope we can all get rid of this damn problem. I just had one yesterday, but luckily i was near home and got in time and fixed it. But honestly, this is the worst feeling ever, never felt anything worse lol. This can cause phobias too, i was in the airport and luckily didn't happen, kept saying calm down, relax, lol. I can't have any confrontations now without worrying, Hard to leave the house thinking what if it happens and i'm in middle of people, wth will i do? lol (im lafin now, but not when it happens).

Thanks for the little hope Jim, and i will see my GP next week, did ur GP take ur blood same time or did u maake another appointment? when did the results get back? really appreciate your help.
I would agree with Jim - if there may be some indication you have low testosterone, ask for the blood test. Indications of low testosterone include poor sleep, weak erections, lack of stamina, poor libido, even depression and irriatibility. Mine was tested just after I had the surgery to release the suspenory ligiment and remove the dysgenic bands on my penis. My testosterone was very low and I have been taking hormone replacement therepy ever since - about 8 years now. It did nothing to keep my penis from retracting but it greatly improved my sex life, sleep and stamina. Most urologists have a 10 question questionaire you can answer about the indications to show your need. The down side is it is very expensive if you don't have insurance that covers it, and it makes the testicles shrink up and nearly disapear (because they don't have to work anymore I guess).

Dan
i agree with u...i am suffering from the same condition.. don't know what it is...

it becomes tight, and retracting inside the body....I am afraid if it could be some sort of infection on injury...since i never felt any pain or sensation...so i have no clue what it is and the urologists i have met are totally clueless about the situation
After the blood test I was called in to see the GP.  He said that the normal range for testosterone is between 8 & 20.  I'm not sure what these numbers represent but they are very wide.  Anyway, mine was 4.  The GP prescribed "TestoGel"  which delivers 50mg Testosterone in a 5g satchet Gel.  Things improved greatly with the other effects of low testosterone such as anxiety, lack of stamina and weak erections (I feel sexually active again).  I do still get occasional retractions but these are few and far between and usually when doing strenuous exercise.  All other symptoms have disappeared.  I don't seem to have had a problems with testes shrivelling up but my GP advised me to keep an eye on my prostate (if that's possible!!) as cancer is listed as a side effect.

Jim
hello

have u seen this ?

i dont know , is it that easy?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19686423
hey guys.this is a very bad thing and very unfortunate for us going thru it. at work i have to worry that it doesn't happen when im in middle of people, on the bus, etc.. here's my story tho:

im 23 yrs old. i have recently gained a lot of weight and i remember having a little retraction once or twice, and as i gained more and more weight it got stronger. i was recently going through tough times, i thought someone had done magic on me, caused a lot of stress and worry, and depression too.

i found the koro syndrome site, and occult beliefs (witchcraft) was one of the likely causes for this. i was just walking around one day and it just happened, i panicked, didn't know what to do, ran to the toilet and it was very hard, but i got home safely. oh yh and i became glued to my house in past month due to unemployment. first i had fear of the magic thing (stupid i know) and  the first retraction might have hapnd because of blood flow/adrenaline. but after this retraction, i got fear of that happening in public places, so that became the new trigger.

i talked to the doc, he said that about the pad at the groin thingy, and i must admit that seems right. i have gained 44kg (97 lbs) in just one year, unemployed and stopped playing sports with friends. i heard that for every 15lbs you loose 1 inch becomes visible. i must admit that i have a lot of fat around that area, erect is ok, but i can't live like this, i want it to be back to the way it was.i'm long over that magic thingy, but it caused a lot of damage, and i will never forgive the person because of whom it happened, it has made me jumpy and much more phobia, i get scared about little things a lot more. like ten times worse than it should be. so im in hopes of contacting a psychiatrist about that too.

so ryt now, my only goal/hope is that if i reduce my weight back to what it was, like 45 kg back and that very excess fat will burn off and then there will be nothing left to retract into. i've read about retractions starting cuz of obesity and the only way they stop is by burning off the fat, it said that the fat pad pushes the skin forward onto the penis and so the penis can easily retract. doc said don't let this get permanent, loose weight quickly and it will all go back to normal.

I'm not sure if this will work or not, but this little hope is the only thing that's keeping me going. another problem is that i'm very very self conscious about me being fat, so that's also causing it, im sure. so i think  obesity, depression, mental stress/fear, are all causes of this. I think it will heal because it started with obesity, but im really really sorry for those that suffered it through injury and are also not obese like me, trust me i'm sure you know how bad it is, i certainly do. some treatment should have been there for it already, its a shame its not.

I truly hope that me and everyone else suffering thru this ***** of a condition heals and it all stops, i don't wanna live my life like this, i just can't.
hi there, yeah it is a load of crap this condition, but for many it has to become a way of life by the sounds of it.

As mentioned in the thread a few months ago i would maybe get them to test your testosterone levels (and let us know too just out of curiosity, some have said it can be related)

The other thing is, part of my symptoms are definitely because of a fat packet. (i can feel when not erect 2-3inches at least sit in there), and im not even that obese!. So yeah sounds like your doc could be right.  Im sure you deserve not to be stuck at home all the time, go get out there loose some weight regain your penis and hope for the best!!!

oh and im sure someone will hopefully give a more useful reply than this, I just wanted to mention the bit about fat pockets.
hey man thanks for your reply.yeah i'm begining to get more confident that this will fix it for some of us. 1 year and half ago i weighed 67 kg (147 lbs) and wasn't fat at all, had bmi of around 22-23 (which is perfect as doc said it). but now my weight it 114 (yesterday), and bmi is around 35-36 (very obese). i hate myself so much for letting it get here, if only i had controlled it then, i wouldn't be like this now. because of this, i became very very self conscious, worried, stressed, depressed. but whats done is done, can't look back and cry all the time, want to look forward now and find the solution for this. i know 1 and a half year is a long time, but my friend says that keep it at temporary, meaning loose weight now, don't let it all settle or i might not recover from this.

doc said that the penis starts from the end of the groin area or something, and that is where the fat pad starts from as well, so simple as that, no fat pad, no retraction.

i'm actually quite sure that it's because of the fat pad, because whenever it happens, i have to tug at the pad and then it becomes ok, so if the pad is no longer there, nothing to retract into. i thought this area wasn't covered at all, but i went to some obesity sites and this was listed as a symptom and i felt relieved that i can do something about it. it said u can either get surgery to get that fat removed, but best way is to loose weight healthly and burn the fat, cuz then the body will readjust and fix itself. and if i'm not fat anymore, i won't feel conscious, so i should be ok mentally too.

guys you should really ask gps for advice, someone must know about this, i don't think everyone's problem would be testosterone or obesity related, some have mental issues, i think i had all of them. good luck guys, i can't believe some ppl have been living with this for 11 years, i had enuf of it the second time it happened. i don't want to readjust my life to it, i wanna get rid of it.
hey john276, i quite agree that the symptoms that we mentioned are not the only causes, but i do believe they are some of the most common. As you said it is a horrible thing, even just to think about really.

My biggest problem is that i had surgery down below when i was 5, and I think it prevented my genital from developing properly, (basically smallish penis + moves into fat pocket = well... not much left lol. ):   )
However, its interesting what you said about where the penis starts, and about getting the fat removed, i was wondering - but at the end of the day i can feel it in there, and I guess there is no better weight loss than exercise!

Yeah ive noticed gaining weight does often cause those mental feelings you mentioned, and its normal to get carried away and gain weight because its all too easy to do so when times are hard or you are going through a phase of laziness (whatever), it happens to the best of us so dont get too down about it mate - as you say look forward to hopefully the problem being sorted for you. Confidence wise just remember that just because the people around you are not as big as you doesnt mean there are not others who are the same or bigger - and im sure many of which are perfectly confident and happy just because it is a way of life and they have bigger interest   If you think of it please update this thread so we know how things are working out for you.
hey once again, yeah, i think my problem is mostly mental and partially physical, the mental part causes physical symptoms.

i stayed home for a year, got out, but very rarely, and didn't work much, if i had a job (my own fault) and got out more, it would have not happened. because a few years ago in school and college, i used to have a lot more mental stress with exams and people, but this never happened, btw i wasn't fat at that time, BMI was only 22. but now bmi is around 35-36. but i was talking to my friend and he suggested hypnotherapy to me, you know, attempting to forget specific parts of this dreadful year of my life, if i never know about this problem, then maybe it wouldn't happen?? unless it is physical.

the thing about obesity is that it's not just the genitals that take fat, not just the fat pad forms, i was just thinking one day, that the thighs get pretty big too, which slightly pushes the whole thing a bit forward (i think). theres a big difference in fat thigh, and skinny thigh, makes hell of a difference for the genital parts. but i don't think surgery (fat removal) will help me much here, because the fat came slowly and gradually, the body had to get used to it, so i would have to loose the weight slowly and naturally, by running usually.

i will be happy again, once i get rid of this problem. thats on my mind all the time, like regretting my actions this year, like why i gained so much weight, why i didn't go out much, etc...
too right you will be happy again! I quite agree with what you are saying there, the physical issues is probably what is underlaying and fueling the mental issues. I too had a huge amount of stress at school, a lot of people do. I used to, and still do continually struggle to find things to talk about with people, and thus keep friendships. thats just one example in a long line of different things but they all add up - if you just keep positive work on what you believe and try to help yourself through the thick and thin you will get there!.

I agree also about the weight loss, my biggest concern with surgery to remove excess fat is that of course like you started to point out, it is not natural and you end up with loads of flappy skin instead! - unless you have it cut away i guess. At least when you are younger your skin is more stretchy, so natural weight loss would not only be motivating but have good practical benefits!.
i also seem to have this problem persay. the difference between some of you and me is that i have bigger thighs. im on the heavy side. one of the guys above said that temp might ahve somthing to do with it. at first i thought maybe outher temp but then i got to thinking, maybe its body temp and temp around scrotum and penis, since when teh scrotum is hot is expands and when cold srhinks to conserve adn let out heat. well wearing boxers instead of normal underwear or boxer briefs might make a difference for more air flow. i think i will try that and let you all knwo how that works, also lose soem weight on ym thighs will probably help. peace guys!
My husband had a back injury from an auto accident.  With time his penis retracts into his body and he has to literally pull it out to urinate, etc.  It is quite embarrassing for him and empathize with the guy in the locker room.  I have found out there is a syndrome called levator ani spasm which in men can be quite painful.  Sitting long periods of time especially at a computer, stress can play prominent roles.  However, the pudendal nerve may be involved in this condition.  It is hard to find information on this, much less treatment for it.  I wish someone could shed some light on this condition.
Forgot to mention that the levator ani syndrome that my husband may have has been helped by sitting in a hot tub.  He also takes lorazepam, not every day, maybe 1 in three days and it also helps.  However, there was a study done at Stanford University about this syndrome.  Might google levator ani syndrome Stanford University.
Hey guys, I've done a bit more thinking about this issue and i don't think it is completely to do with the fat pad. Another thing i've noticed is that i've become extremely jumpy or anxious. I went to exercise on a field with a friend of mine and every little sound made me anxious, i jumped at them all and started looking around like a weirdo. One of my mate was jokingly scaring me saying that he heard chains and that saw is coming lol and i actually felt fear.This is why i have these damn retractions. normally, if some situation arises, the penis and testicles retract, but not even close to this much. For us, it's much much more and that is why we notice it. I remember 7 months ago, when i didn't have this problem, life was ******* awesome, even at stressful situations, when adrenaline jumped in, it was fun, it was Excitement and thrill, not ******* fear. I was in many stressful situations in the past, but never lasted long, but at the time this started, i had multiple stressful events, and they were on-going, i remember having 2+weeks of constant stress, and i was all alone (dad at work, bro and sis at school), so all day i used to think about this. My main problem is anxiety and excessive fear. One of the earliest retractions i had was when walking up my street 2 guys were walking a few steps behind me, normally i wouldn't give a **** and keep walking, but that time i felt fear like they're going to kill me or **** like that. and thats when it retracted.

Anxiety can be cause by many many things, i remember that i was unemployed at the time, so was at home, i have heard that over masturbation can sometimes cause anxiety, and at that time i was doing it twice daily, compared to an year ago when i used to do it 3-4 times a week. I ******* gained 100 pounds of weight, and all went to belly, and that causes harmful toxins and hormones, which can also cause anxiety. Stress causes anxiety too. I ******* hate myself, every body told me to loose the weight last year and i ******* ignored it, i'll do it later, from next week etc. This has almost completely destroyed my life, this should have happened when i was in my 50s, not in the bloody 20s. I am worried about my future life now, marriage, kids, family, job, everything. I remember before all this started, i was outgoing, i never use to worry about going out or anything, if someone said lets go town, i'd get ready in a second, but now, i think of all the dangers and make excuses of why not to go. hard to believe that my life would turn upside down like this in just a few weeks. I constantly think of all my mistakes i've done, and remember all the times this problem wasn't there.

had to get that off my mind. anyway, for now, all i can do, is try loosing the weight. 100 pounds is a hell lot of weight, i was perfect health with the 100 pounds off, but don't think i can return to my old self even after loosing it, but i can try. 100 pounds should make some difference atleast. and if all this problem is because of hormones in belly or something, all i can hope for is that by loosing the weight, it somehow corrects itself, giving me my life back, because i can honestly say one thing, that i can't live with this in my life, i still very young, the best years of my life hadn't even arrived yet. but i wanna live and enjoy life, we only get it once, if i had an extra chance, i would have taken that already lol. anyway, sorry for boring you guys with my story, i just wish there was a time machine to go fix all this. im planning to go abroad next month, maybe i can find some relief there ... sigh...

p.s: to everyone who suffers from the retractions, do you guys have any anxiety? i think these 2 are very closely linked.
Hi fellow sufferers , I lost 50kilos a few years ago and started walking lots to get the brains serotonin juices going to reduce my anxiety which was through the roof :( , and i drank heaps of water only for a while to detox any toxins in my system , and the retractions went away YAHOO and things were great for a while so it does pay to change your lifestyle a bit ......unfortunately i had a few family disasters and put the weight back on and you guessed it the retractions came back with vengeance :(
please help!!!
please help! , ive got a serious problem and its really getting to me im 20 years old been diagnosed with vericocele not serious enough for operateing on. but evrynight before i go to bed my testicles hang low like htey shud and my normal flaccid length is great no erection problems nothink but within 5 minutes of me wakeing up on a good day or even i get woken up buy it my testicles pull up tight and my scrotum go really hard dark purple and my penis length goes twice as small the doctor says this is normal because the testicles change due to temprature but that isnt the case with me i can go into a red hot sauna a red hot bath and evrythink remains shrivelled my tesicles and my penis... but some reson at night time its asif some1 turns the tap on to blood flow and my balls drop scrotum loosens and my penis goes to normal flaccid length and i can go outside in the cold and it wont affect me, jst some reason it seems like it re-sets itself and i spend all day with a penis and scrotum lookin asif im a naked man stood at the ice pole evrythinks uptight and shrivled???? helpppp!!!!!
Ok I have recently developed this problem, like perhaps the last few months. There have been many changes in my life during this time as well, I have been exercising a lot and lost 15 lbs, still about 10lbs over weight. I also have a new job and perhaps some anxiety because I pretty much don't care for it but need it to pay rent etc... I have no sexual problems, and have been with my gf for a few years, idk what having a lot of sex would do but I perhaps think I have had a lot of sex in my life. I also turned 30 recently. I noticed it happens when I'm sitting at work, a few times, not every day but often enough. It also happens when i'm cold. It never used to happen to me though and is quite scary when it happened for the first time. I'll monitor it and see if it happens after i work out.
Hello everyone,

I’m glad I found this site. I’, 36 and this started happening on and off since I was sixteen, when after having sex for the 1st time. Since then whenever I work physical labor my gentiles would retract in. After work I would relax and everything would go back to normal. When I used LSD, (one time, mind you ) they retracted in as well. Yet they would return eventually to normal.

I went on psychiatric meds when I was 20 yrs old for depression, yet never stuck to taking them seriously. It wasn’t until I was 25 that I began to masturbate once a week, instead of the everyday routine I normally was on since 16 yrs of age. Again no signs of any problems, I was still the same size and girth and no retraction issues.

When I was 30 I broke up with my GF and ever since I started to have signs of retraction more frequently. So I bought into some herbal libido supplements and started penis stretching exercises, which seemed to resolve everything. I was back to being 7.5 by 2. Everything was great, but 1 year later the retraction still were accruing. Why?

Driving in my car one day, I could feel them retracting in. This was the first time I was staying still that this retraction issue really started to worry me. I could only think back and noticed I was feeling not guilty for slacking off at work, but that I should feel guilty. I went back to work and out of the blue my gentles grew back to normal again. And that is psychological.

Well to speed up my story here, I was taking a lot of supplements to experiment with which would help the retraction issue. Most if none at all worked for a short period of time.

I’m 36 now and when I take yohimbe or tribulis terrestus or even muira pauma or DHEA for my ED, my adrenaline peeks way high and I shake with nervousness. I stopped taking them but I still have retraction problems, severely for 2 years past. For 2 years. I tried the penis pump, but that just made it worse off.

Now, when I do get an erection my size is 6 inches by 1 ½. My life is miserably now, not because of the size thing. It is because I only get an erection 2 times a month now. No more morning wood!!! Makes me so angry and upset, I just don’t connect with my friends of family, or even to attempt another relationship.

They say it is male menopause. I just can’t believe this. There has got to be something that can be done…

PS: I’ve gone as far as to blame the Government of low band frequency tests on the general public through radio waves as the cause for this… yet no proof!!! Just my small piece of mind!!!
I have this same problem, except mine has been diagnosed. Because of an occupational injury, my testostrone levels are way below normal for a male. Without testosterone supplements in the form of shots, my body tries to develop female features. You should be evaluated by an endocrinologist to rule out roblems like mine.
I agree with ripvanwinkle i have had quite a few testosterone blood tests over the years constantly showing very low testosterone levels but my old fashioned doctor refuses to accept that it is worth treating... talk about frustrating... i am going to see him one more time to demand... i get treated for low testosterone... and see if it helps with the dreaded retractions
Check this out, but I dont believe on surgeries.

http://www.drwhitehead.com/bnapicsRetract.html

I had a hard fall a few years ago and now have this problem. I believe I must have torn something or have a hernia do to the fall. When working out it does it thus it could be a hernia. Although sexually I have no difference I still get mourning wood and my size is the same around 7". Its just annoying when it shrinks to less then an inch.
I too have this problem when exercising or stretching.  I'm 39 and had it for the last ten years.  I think I might have acquired it from taking ALLERGY MEDICATIONS.  Actually, after I started taking allergy medication I noticed I started developing all kinds of problems (High Blood Pressure, Fatigue, Memory Loss, Vision Loss).  Just wondering if any of you took Allergy medication or Creatine or Weightgainer?  Because I took these sometime before this started happening!!!  Its the only thing I can think of that could have caused it.  I live a pretty healthy life style in terms of exercise and diet.  
no one has mentioned alcohol consumption. i am a heavy drinker (49) and work construction outside. it used to only happen in the winter or heavy lifting but now its all the time and i have to take every opprotunity to pull it out because its so uncomfortable. i quit smoking 2 years ago, no change. one thing that may help is not just to pull it out but rather take the time to fluff it up a bit as this gives me relief for a while. anyone useing a pump? im thinking of trying one.
i thought it was worth a try,.. but had no effect for me.
I didnt keep going with it all that long though, and going by this thread everyones symptoms and reactions are slightly different
thank you and god bless the times when we can all talk togather about such things. it is still taboo in many circles.
Is he on blood pressure Meds?  My Wife said her nBrother had the same problem as I, and the Doctor said it was caused from Blood Pressure Meds..Also my DR. said the same...and it can become PAIN-FULL .....! When I bend over, I can feel the muscle pulling it inside...!!! I HATE IT !!!!!! Sometimes I feel that I must Grab it and pull on it ..To try to help it to stay out...Like I said, It can become painful, and bothersome....I always ask God for Help...Rocketmn1
Hi My husband (54) just told me tonight he is having the same problem with his penis that you are all having. In one of the comment Prostititous was mentioned and we look that up and might actually be on a lead idk. The other option for him might be the starting of Cymbalta for nerve pain .I know anti depressents can cause havoc with your sexual well being. anyone else think it might be Cymbalta or similar?
I also have the same problem.I am 48 and married I don't have any problem getting erect.but yes it is like A turtle head and some times when I have to take A leak it is some times hard to get the head of my penis out but when I do it is a little painful.Now reading some post here I can say that I have had A major back surgery ( 12hrs)As I can remember It started to happen about that time.I also noticed also about the Adrenalin and stress don't help.I was really active before the back surgery but now disabled.  
Viewing 1-200 comments: