Men's Health Community
Prostatitis, STD? PLease Help!!!!

A community for people with Men's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Prostatitis, STD? PLease Help!!!!

Where should I start? I am a male age 21. About 4 months ago I had vaginal sex with a female(used a condom but at some point it slipped off). A month after I experienced some symptoms typical of an STD (only at night/evening) such as burning in the urethra and in the head of the penis, frequent urination (no discharge to my knowledge) and pain in my side while sitting. I went to a doctor (4weeks after) had  std test done for HIV Syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia and Herpes, all of which came back negative. The symptoms subsided for a week or so then I  got a pain in my right side, at this point i went to the doctor had a prostate exam and he told me I had a swollen prostate and my symptoms were in fact that of prostatitis which can occur in a male of  my age. He placed me on Bactrim, for a month, however i had to stop taking them after around 1 n 1/2week due to a reaction to sulfa where my entire body would feel itchy and i developed rashes, night sweats and a swollen lymph nodes in my neck which he states were caused by an allergic reaction to sulfa in the Bactrim. After i had stop taking the bactrim symptoms went away immediately and i felt okay until a week or 2 after. I had the worst experience of my life. The burning in my urethra and the tip of my penis came back with a vengeance and it was difficult to sleep because i could feel the swollen prostate.I also notice that my urine and semen had a fishy odor to it. The head of my penis also burnt after ejaculation or urination. I decided to go to another Doc after 3months where he gave me a complete test. He check my urine and blood for bacteria and over production of white blood cells etc. He check for Herpes and HIV. All test came back negative. He put me on Cipro for 1 week. After the Cipro was finished, the burning in the urethra had stop but a slight pain in my prostate was still there at nights for a while. About a week ago (3weeks after i finished the cipro) i realize that the pain in my prostate felt as if it was gone but now i feel the burning in my urethra and penis returning again as it did before. I am convince that I must have contracted some sort of virus or bacterial infection or STD from my sexual encounter. None of these symptoms ever happened before my sexual encounter. I asked the female if she could have some test done which she agreed to, she stated that all her std test were negative (but who knows if she is telling the truth).

1) what STD could have caused my prostatitis? is it possible for it to go unnoticed even with testing?
2) What other factors given my situation may have caused theses symptoms
2) I notice each time i take antibiotics my symptoms seem to go away for a while, when i stop they return in a few weeks....would a longer treatment of antibiotics help?
3) is it possible that my prostatitis maybe due to Herpes even though i have no discharge or scores and testing was negative?

Any help is appreciated
Amoxicillin

Maybe this medication will help. Bring it up to to your doctor. You definitely some kind of urinary tract infection though.

Amoxicillin is a penicillin antibiotic. It fights bacteria in your body.

Amoxicillin is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria, such as ear infections, bladder infections, pneumonia, gonorrhea, and E. coli or salmonella infection. Amoxicillin is also sometimes used together with another antibiotic called clarithromycin (Biaxin) to treat stomach ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori infection. This combination is sometimes used with a stomach acid reducer called lansoprazole (Prevacid).

Some women be having some dirty vagina. It's scary.
i am not sure amoxicillin would adequately treat a prostate infection.

I was given ciprofloxacin for 1 month. It was unpleasant b/c it had some side effects.
My symptoms seemed to get worse after I discontinued the antibiotics.

Prostate infections can be difficult to treat for many reasons. Only certain drugs penetrate the wall of the prostate and thus only certain ones can kill any bacteria that may be inside.  

the ones you took are commonly used for these infections.

I am siting on about a year now. You may begin to feel better a few months off the antibiotics.

Consider limiting acidic foods and beverages such as soda, vitamin c, spicy sauces, etc.

With regards to a "fishy" odor, that may be from several things:

Trichimoniasis (Trich) is a parasite that is notorious for its fishy odor.

You should see your doctor or find a testing/treatment clinic. Many offer free or very low cost screening.

Best of luck.

My husband is having very similar issues and we've been together for three years, married 1 year.

Two months ago my husband noticed a brown discharge coming from his penis and shortly after developed symptoms of burning while urinating, frequent urination, constant need to pee but little came out. The doctor screened him for Chlamydia, gohnorhea, HIV, and uti bacteria but they all came back negative. He did two weeks of cipro, the urinary tract symptoms got better but didn't go away completely so they did a prostate exam. His prostate was swollen so they continued him on cipro for another three weeks. His symptoms stayed the same. Pressure in his rectum and the tip of his penis was sore with some occasional trouble urinating. They switched him to 2000mg a day of penicillin and it's been a week and his symptoms still aren't better.

I've been reading a lot of forums on here including some posted by dr cook and they say STD s are not a known cause of prostatitis.
A related discussion, my prostatitis experience was started.
JohnsonNY69 is ... Comment
May 24
zodiacqueen commented on photo
May 23
Piparskeggr commented on Pip sick...
May 23
Exercise Tracker
Exercise is part of a healthy lifestyle