Men's Health Community
Skinny and I have trouble gaining muscle mass and weight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

I am skinny and way under the weight I should be for not only my age, but height as well. I'm 17 and 130lbs and 6'0. I have trouble gaining weight period. I can eat however much I want, and whatever I want and not gain a single pound. I work out often alone and sometimes with friends but I don't gain any muscle mass. I can lift 35lb dumb bells and squat 195 and bench press 175. Even though all that, I'm still really skinny and I work out often. I don't have worms or any type of parasite that increases my metabolism. And I'm constantly increasing my weight soon I'll be lifting 40lbs in about a week, but my biceps are still small. I have also been taking protein and heavy vitamin pills. So I'm healthy. I don't know whats wrong with me or why I can't increase my muscle mass.
You're in the lucky position (which you won't be for your whole life, so don't let eating habits at this point stick with you forever) to be able to eat whatever you want.  So concentrate on high calorie items, especially the ones with safer fats.  Talk to your doctor about a diet that is designed for gaining, and which kinds of fats are more OK than others, and then make it a point to eat more than you burn.  Right now, it sounds like you're burning as many calories as you are taking in, and if you don't intend to stop lifting (no reason you should, it's good for you) you will need to do more on the intake end.

Don't let your obsession with biceps run your life, either -- women like men to be strong, but they don't really think the Incredible Hulk look is very sexy.
1 Comment