Men's Health Community
Sudden hair growth.. what can cause it ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

Over the last 2 weeks the hairs on my arm, both forearm and upper arm have started growing suddenly, doubling in length and also hairs starting to sprout in places I have never had before. Is there a medical condition that can cause this ? Also, in the last month I have been experiencing (on and off) numbness and tingling of both hands and also feet and have constant aching legs and feet. Sometime my feet feel itchy like there is something under the skin but there is no rash or marks on the skin surface. I have also had a very dry mouth and been drinking more water than normal and have had a headache almost everyday for last 5 weeks.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on ? I am a 35 year old male, average fitness, BMI : 23
   As some possibilities, check up your blood sugar level and also the adrenal gland hormone levels.
Solace
Okay I have my blood tests back, everything appears normal apart from some worrying issues.. it appears that my hemoglobin is low and I have moderate lymphocytosis indicated by a raised lymphocyte count. My test results have been referred to a pathologist for further examination.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this along with my symptoms ?
Turned out to be a primary CMV infection.
    Thank you for the feedback.Did you take any medication and are you totally symptom free ( except probably for increased hair growth ) by now?
Solace
No I did not take any medication for it, I decided instead just to let it run its course. I lost maybe 4 - 5kg in a space of around 4 weeks in mid december which I have been counteracting since beginning of January by eating more calories and have managed to regain 1.5 kg of that.

I have not experienced any more tingling but I am still getting occasional aching lower legs and feet (as if I have been for a long run). Sometimes lower arms ache a little and arthritic type pain in fingers. Sometimes my right hand is colder than my left also. My energy levels seem to have returned but the more active I am during the day the more I seem to ache later, especially lower back. Also having difficulty sleeping, my body seems to overheat when I lie down in bed, I wouldn't call it night sweat but an uncomfortable body heat preventing me from sleeping. I have taken temperature and I don't appear to have a fever. I must sweat in my sleep though because I weight myself first thing in morning after toilet and last thing at night before bed and I always wake up 1 - 1.5kg lighter... maybe this is normal ?

Arm hair growth seems to have slowed but I have alot more hair and longer arm hair than I did before. Just 2 days ago I had flashing lights in my eyes that lasted about 15 minutes, I had the same experience mid december also. I am guessing this is the CMV attacking the retina as I believe this is one of its targets. Interestingly I failed an eye test in decemeber also for a driver licence endorsement and I have never had a problem with my eyes before, seems my right eye was affected.

My bloods showed I have had EBV in the past but this is a primary CMV infection, I understand that it can be quite symptomatic in adults who get it for the first time and from my experience so far I tend to agree.
Dear Kryptonenz,
                Thank you for the detailed reply. I am sorry to learn that you are into so much of health problems. Most of your problems looked like related to diabetes and the hair growth due to some sudden increase in testosterone  or adrenal   DHEAS.  By the way, did you check for your sugar level?
As regards the eye problem, be very careful, see an ophthalmologist and check if the virus is in control, if not, medication may be required.Did you have any reason for reduced immune system recently?
Solace
Hi Solace,

thanks for your replies.

I was checked for diabetes in the initial full blood test, my fasting glucose levels appeared normal and doctor said he had no reason to think I was diabetic. The funny thing is that after I got the first test results and they mentioned lymphocytosis and anemia my doctor was ready to get cell marker studies done and started talking about bone marrow biopsies. Luckily for me I went away to another town for Christmas and saw a different doctor while I was there and he ordered a whole lot of tests for specific viruses.. toxo, ebv, cmv... and that is when I got diagnosed. My normal doctor should have ordered those tests in the first place instead of starting to talk about CLL and the likes.

Maybe the hair growth was androgen related caused by anxiety from me worrying about what is wrong with me or maybe it is connected to the CMV via something to do with cytokines ? Also a year ago I had glucose tolerance test also which came back normal.

My symptoms do seem to be getting less as time goes by so I think I should get through it. I do not see any reason why my immune system would have been reduced. I understand that 80% of people have had exposure to CMV age 35, I must be in the 20% who get it as an adult.