Men's Health Community
Testosterone problem? 30 year old male

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

Testosterone problem? 30 year old male

I am about 6' 220 lbs and have gotten test recently for both total and free testsoterone.  My score for free testosterone was 13.4 and for ttotal it was 422.  My doctors acknolwdged that the scores were low but they wanted to look in a different direction for the symptoms I was having and still have.  

Some of the symptoms include decreased size in testes, extreme muscle soreness, and feeling like i just want to sleep all day.  Libido is also low and inability to shed excess fat and turn into muscle even though I work out often and eat a very balanced diet.  

I'm wondering whether I can convince my doctor to jsut have my try a form of testosterone therapy for a trial period to see if there are some positive effects.  I mean, the range of 200- 1200 is so vast 422 might be a low figure for one person and normal for another.  Any suggestion as to how one might approach their physician about this.  He's generally a liberal practicioner so I hope he might be willing to try it for a period.  Or do I have to go through a specialist?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
1 Comment
You need to change your diet, lose weight, and exercise for at least 30 minutes a day 3 times a week.  The excess fat and lack of muscle you are carrying is preventing the testosterone from being absorbed readily by your body.  Still, your free & clear Testosterone levels seem low.  Are you depressed?  That may be the underlying cause.  If you are seek counseling, and possibly medication from your doctor.  Wellbutrin is a good one, low risk of sexual side effects.
A related discussion, testosterone was started.