Men's Health Community
Wrinkles in my scalp---Buzz cut looks WEIRD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

Okay, so after a lot of research I have found NO explanation of this but I have come to a conclusion of my own. I have wrinkles in my scalp. Much more noticeable with buzzed or very SHORT hair. Started throughout my SECOND growth spurt (@ 17) and have been there ever since. Most people that have this same issue had it begin around the same time between age 16 and 20. My father is 6' 2" and my brother is 6' 1" I am not quite as gifted in the sense I stand only 5' 9" tall. My conclusion is that My Bones stopped growing where my skin continued to grow. Thus causing these rather embarrassing wrinkles. I do not have dandruff like some men with this same problem and I have never had LONG (more that a few inches) hair. I'm caucasian and I think ethnicity has no part in this what-so-ever. I hope this shed's some light and possibly is the TRUE cause of this. Maybe I didn't drink enough Milk, after all When I hit college @ 18 my diet consisted of Mac and Cheese, Ramen Noodles, & of course FAST FOOD>? Any second opinions? I hope this helps as no Med. Doctor. can assist me in finding a solution or for that matter a cause. FYI I never had this problem and buzzed my head as a child for YEARS. It only started after my last growth spurt.

This discussion is related to Wrinkles on top of my head.
Tags: scalp, Wrinkles, head, Skin, grooves, lines, buzz
This condition is called Cutis Verticis Gyrata
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutis_verticis_gyrata

I am a Caucasian male and I noticed it when I was about 19 years old.  I am almost 35 now. I shaved my head as a kid all the time and growing up always had a smooth head. Then around 18-19 they developed. When I shaved my head I was amazed as if my head had turned into a raisin or better yet a brain. I too was complimented on the cool corn rows I certainly didn't intentionally do. The latest treatment without having to resort to a full blown scalp reduction, especially for many that have hair loss with it is a procedure called a Scalp Subcision.
I am currently having this done and it’s more of an experimental treatment with my dermatologist. He simply numbs the scalp and inserts a small needle type instrument and separates the tissue that is causing the furrows. I noticed immediately a rise in the skin and I could hear the tissue separating. It sounded like the release of Velcro tape. This is because when extra skin had formed, it resulted much like scar tissue under the skin. This created fibers that are attached very tightly to the skull. This technique is a slow process and has to be done multiple times but it’s painless and convenient. I will post again to see if the procedure is worth it.
Trust me those of you wondering what went wrong need not worry, its purely genetic. It’s not from braiding your hair, diet, or wearing hats. It had been said that our genes our prone to this and our hormones are the main cause. Mind you there has been a case where a bodybuilder said using steroids caused it. I suggest researching this further because there are two types to this condition. Hope this helps!
.
I think its very dangerous to generalize and say that all of these cases are due to cutis verticis gyrata because they are not. Cvg is actually quite rare, with individuals suffering from many serious brain abnormalities. These cases look similar in appearance but I doubt that all, or any for that matter are due to cvg. The lines do have a tendency to show after hair has been cut, following its grown for a considerable amount of time then when the individual begins to worry about them, the lines do in fact deepen! This is only applicable to a few of the above cases. Others who have not grown their hair or do not suffer with skin conditions should avoid the internet and consult a doctor as the internet has many cases on cvg and will no doubt just fuel worry and speculation.
Could you tell me if that procedure has worked and how well? Do they come back? My husband is suffering with this condition and we don't know how to fix it. Thank you so much - I'm hopping for a good response.
I have seen this condition in three male friends of mine, all in the same age group, all full-blooded Navajo.  Is there a genetic factor to the condition?

I asked my friend about it, but he said they had just always been there.
hows your treatment going bro?
I got the same thing
mine are almost symetrical, with the furrows on the centre right of my scalp being deeper. im going the doctors tomorrow to see what they say, there a series of bumps on my head very strange to touch and to look at looks like cornroles or some sort of tribal scaring.
A related discussion, Wrinkles On Scalp ( Cutis Verticis Gyrata ) was started.
A related discussion, Scalp Wrinkles was started.
A related discussion, wrinkles on top of scalp was started.
I'm not sure about the genetics thing. My wrinkles are definately a result of my cornrows and locs and all of tight tugging, pulling, and braiding that came along with the maintenance. I'm not going bald so it's not really an issue for me, but I'm interested in seeing if I can be reversed...
A related discussion, scalp wrinkles was started.