Men's Health Community
botched circumcision?

A community for people with Men's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

botched circumcision?

My 12 year old son was recently in for a sports physical.  The doctor expressed concern that he has penile adhesions that will more than likely affect him sexually.  He was circumcised as an infant, but it wasn't done correctly and had to be redone at age 5.  This was traumatic for all of us, but the adhesions were bad and it was recommended by a pediatric urologist and his pediatrician.  Additionally, his pediatrician was adamant about getting rid of the adhesions by force at each office visit prior to the second surgery and following it when they appeared again.  One of the times was so bad that both my son and I cried all the way home from the appointment.  Anyway, here's where we're desperate for someone to direct us on what to do... Upon hearing that he still has adhesions, my husband asked him if he had ever had an erection to which my son responded "no".  This is a straight A+ over achiever student who excels in everything he does, and we are worried about psychological implications of what he's been through and about what we should do physically.  Please help.  We are so upset and desperate.  He has started puberty, but we have not seen any marked changes (ie. facial hair, big growth spurt).  He's always been tall for his age (almost 5'9" and is supposed to be about 6'6" according to the charts... weight is about 150).  My husband and I have been grief stricken by this and are trying not to allude to anything around our son.  We need help and someone to direct us as to what we should do.  We have called to obtain all his medical records, but need your help.  Thanks.
Normally, an intact young man should never be forcibly retracted.  But, as your son had surgical complications in the form of adhesions, this may be different.

I would email or write:

http://www.nocirc.org/contact.php

And see if they have a list of local urologists who are more knowledgeable in the area of medical treatments for adhesions.  Explain what happened, and perhaps they will be able to help you.

I know there are mild steroid creams that can be used for certain types of adhesions, along with some GENTLE stretching done by the person himself.  But as your son's are possibly more severe due to being surgically induced, you will really want to get more input.  

I'm sorry for your difficulties.  It's one reason I'm so against routine infant circumcision.  Good luck.
Thank you for the recommendation.  We are meeting with his current pediatrician (not the one described above) tomorrow.  We aren't sure what we're going to accomplish, but we need to start somewhere.  I've emailed the No Circ people as you suggested, and I'm hoping they will give us some direction/ pointers.  It would be really easy to focus on what's been done to create this mess- instead of looking forward to what we need to do to get our son on track.  He's our only child, and we know there's a plan for him far greater than anything we can imagine... If you're a prayer warrior, please pray for him and us.  I haven't slept since we were given this news last week.  I feel so guilty - I'm supposed to be his mom/ his advocate/ his protector - especially, in vulnerable situations.
There is no reason to focus on the past, but I do get angry that parents are not being told some of the risks of routine infant circumcisions.
But the past is the past, and as parents we all do what we felt was right at the time.  You also got advice from a doctor who you had no reason to doubt.  You did your best, and no one can ask more than that!

Hopefully you will get an answer from NOCIRC.org.   There is also a phone # in that contact info.  There are some medical options for adhesions, but as I said your son's may be different or more severe than normal types of adhesion problems.  I'll certainly keep you and your son in my thoughts.
Thanks again for your help, who_is_this.  We met with his current pediatrician (not the doctors who created the situation) this week.  He says the adhesions are on the base of the glans (glands), and he also said that he doesn't think they'll cause him problems with erectile function.  He believes our son may be fine with them or he may choose to have corrective surgery, but that it'll be more a choice than a necessity.  He also thinks our son will start to have erections whether we get counseling or not.  Of course, we don't trust doctors at all and will be taking what this doctor has to say into consideration after we consult with many others - doctors, counselors, specialists, etcetera.  It's been really hard.  The guilt is so great on my husband and myself - we were young and trusting of the doctors, and now our son is paying the price.
cnote is good! :) Comment
Aug 26
Paxiled commented on Foods For Weight Loss...
Aug 26
remar commented on mommy52's status
Aug 26
Exercise Tracker
Exercise is part of a healthy lifestyle