Men's Health Community
faint vibrating/buzzing/spasm in penis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

faint vibrating/buzzing/spasm in penis

For the last week or so now I have had a very slight, high-frequency vibrating sensation in my penis (it feels like it is in my urethra, from about the base of the glans (glands) to the base of the penis).  It feels like varying degrees of the following sensations:

- a cellphone vibrating in my pocket
- a stream of fluid flowing through the urethra (without the sensation of exiting the glans (glands))

It is not usually constant, but is rhythmic, that is, will come and go in intervals...  much like a pulse or breathing, but it does not coincide with either.  The rhythm varies, sometimes 1 second on and 1 second off; sometimes a few seconds of vibrations and a few second of stillness, and sometimes the vibrations are more constant, with slight variances in intensity (though always low intensity).  It is neither painful nor pleasurable but is annoying.  It is not associated with any other symptoms whatsoever: no discharges or skin, urine, or semen discolorations; no changes in consistency of urine, semen, or stool; no direct decrease in sexual function, although I am concerned that my worrying about it will decrease my ability to perform.  The sensation is so slight that it is not noticeable when I am occupied with other activities, but it consumes me when I am still.

STDs are unlikely, as both my wife and I have never had any sexual partners other than each other.  I have experinced no trauma to my penis, groin, or other structures that I am aware of.  I am 30 years old, with no history of medical issues at all...  no UTI, STD, PNE, nothing.

Does anyone know what this could be?
Tags: penis, Health
Viewing 1-200 comments:
In addition, I have done some research about this problem.  Here are a few URLs that seem at least partially relevant:

http://www.medhelp.org/perl6/urology/messages/31445.html
http://www.medhelp.org/perl6/Urology/messages/31498.html
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/MensHealth/messages/690.html
http://www.discovervancouver.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48894

So it seems I am not the only one experiencing this, but it does not seem anyone has been able to find an answer (at least not before each respective forum was closed to new comments).  Any answers (causes or treatments) or shared similar experiences would be very helpful, thanks.
I too have recently been experiencing your exact description.  First I thought it was cell phone, and now not so sure.  I am going to see a doctor this week to maybe get an MRI, or find out something.

Have you gotten any answers on these feelings?
Please post a message after you go to the doctors!

Funny, the exact description (it feels like a cell phone vibrating in your pocket) is how I also have described it.

It seems more constant right now and yes, I drove an hour to work with the phone between my legs, so if it rang (and it's always on vibrate) I feel it.

It bothers me most at night, when I am trying to fall asleep.  Like someone above had mentioned, during activity your barely notice it.

So, has anyone got any answers?  I agree, deffinetely not an STD are any neurological "thing" (at least I don't think so).  becuase it's not a tingling, burning or any other related feeling, it's simply a wierd vibration!
concernedperson3 started a new thread on this forum entitled "Vibration sensation in penis" on 08/06/2006, where we have kinda moved this discussion to.  You can find both of our most recent updates there.  Please add to the discussion.  How old are you?  How long have you been dealing with this?  Have you gone to see anyone about it yet?  Hope to hear more from you soon!
I have recently begun to have the same experience.
I'm 42, fit and healthy with a normal sex life.

Recently, for the last 3 months, I've been thinking my cell phone is going off in my front pants pocket, but it isn't. Instead, I'm having a vibration sensation, that is rythmic, on the top of  my glans (glands). It feels like my clothing is vibrating slightly. It is happening now, as I type this.

I have a hunch that it is somehow related to my bladder - perhaps a rythmic movement of water waste into my bladder.

It is always in the same spot. Always rythmic. Sitting or standing. I wear briefs and dress pants and have for 25 years. I don't always notice it and it isn't always there. But it is definately real.

I have no idea what this is.
JohnWayne,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I would like to encourage you to visit the other thread in this forum entitled "Vibration sensation in penis", started on 08/06/2006, as there are quite a few people there who have experienced the same thing, and are helping each other out.  As for myself, after a month now, I have been vibration free for the past three days or so.  You can read more about my progress in the other thread, as well as a few others.  Please add to the discussion!
I have the exact same thing...the feeling of some sort of Pulsation in the penis area (similar to a cell phone vibration) I have a normal sex life, however, I am unable to urinate normally.  Its been going on for about 2 months. Very week stream, I've also been constipated.  Iv'e had a CT scan and cytoscope, both within the last month.  

The most logical expalnation I have is that it is a muscle spasm, which restricts the urethra.  Does anyone else have urination problems along with the vibration/spasm?
What you are describing is a little bit different than what I have experienced, in that I have no symptoms beyond the buzzing (and sometimes a little soreness). But I still think our problems may have similar roots. I don't think a muscle spasm would have much effect on the urethra, but I would guess the problem lies more with the prostate, prostatitis perhaps. Have you had anyone look at it yet? I would be very interested in what they say, as I bet you would get more attention with your additional physical symptoms than the rest of us have been able to get.

Have you read the thread that I pointed a couple other readers to?  That thread eventually was closed due to reaching the maximim number of posts, but has a lot of shared experiences that might give you an idea of what to expect.  Also, I started a new thread to continue the conversation from the old thread, entitled "Vibration sensation in penis (continued)" on 10/6/2006.  I would encourage you to post your experience there as well, and let us know what you are able to find out, and what any doctors have said. Also, what do you do for a living?  How old are you? Are you involved in any activities that put pressure on your perineum?
I visited this site tonight based on a google search "my penis vibrates". I have read a lot today on this topic and I see there are a lot of comics out there too. One thing I will be honest about is that if I masterbate many times in 1 day, the vibration happenes.  
So, maybe ask yourself the same question...  You never know.

Anyone find a cure for the faint vibrating/buzzing/spasm in the penis?
Same thing here... very faint.  No pain at all just strange... like a cell phone vibration but not nearly as strong.  I notice it more when I am laying down or sitting still.  I am 33 and in good health with no STD's.
For those with similar symptoms, how long before they disappeared?
Just FYI, I sit at work for hours
There's an article on yahoo about phantom vibrations in the body due to cell phone usage.  Pretty relevant to this topic I think.  They don't discuss any penis problems in the article, of course.  

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071010/ap_on_hi_te/phantom_vibrations
I can't believe this thread has been open a year and no one's had a diagnosis.  Same problem here just started yesterday.  I almost never use a cel phone and I really doubt that, just because the sensation is rather like a vibrating cel phone (only fainter) that it has anything to do with cel phones.
I'm experiencing this starting earlier this week.  I'm 24 years old and it goes on pretty much all day.  annoying as hell and i would really like it to stop!  please, anyone have a cure????
I can't believe that this is so common.  I'm so glad I found all you guys. Well, actually my wife did for me.  I was almost hesitant to even tell her about this, not knowing if I could adequately descibe what I was going through.  But, after dinner this evening I told her what I've been experiencing for the last five or six days.  

After almost a week of repeatedly grabbing my cell phone from my pocket at work, only to find that there was no call, I didn't know what was going on.  It took me about three days or so to even recognize that the vibrating I was feeling was actually a buzzing/vibrating in the head of my penis.  There is no rhythm/pattern, other than, it starts and then it stops.  Starts then stops.  Sometimes its only seconds on, then seconds off.  It might stop for hours, but it comes back.  No pain. No pleasure.  Just buzzing.  

I'm 46 yrs old.  I do not sit at work or use a computer very often.  I'm a cabinet maker.  I've been in a monogamous relationship with my wife for almost 10 yrs.  I'm not taking antibiotics or any other type of drug or medicine.

After my wife went online and showed me this forum, I was absolutely amazed that there are other guys out there going through this.  Kind of comforting too.

Thanks for all your posts.  
By the way, I did read the article that you suggested on Yahoo News about phantom phone vibrations due to cell phone usage.  I don't see any relevance to this problem, at least in my situation.  Not the same thing.  No phantom here.  Very real.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Urology-Male-issues-989/Vibrating-Senastion-Penis.htm
I have the same buzzing issue.  Went to the Urologist, I have an enlarged prostate.  He put me on Avodart.  Go get checked out, it's a medical issue.
wow!!  that helps.  I'm 26 and I have been feeling this vibration for about a week now.  I was a little worried about weather or not it was my prostate causing this (since I heard that men have to worry about such a thing) but at least I see I am not the only one.  I actually started thinking it was just my penus growing or something (since my girlfreind has been complaining about that from time to time).  To be honest I thought that typing vibrating penus in a google search would give me nothing but porn responses, I'm glad I actually recieved the answer that I was looking for.  I guess I better go to a doctor!
oh yeah, by the way I never compared mine to a cell phone.  for me it was more like maybe the building I was in had some strange vibration.  I also felt it mostly while laying in bed trying to go to sleep, so I figured it was the heating or something having some strange amplified oscilating frequency or something.  And mine has been a pretty consistant vibration, only today have I noticed it on for a while, then off again.
Well, I went to the doctor last month, and my prostate is absolutely normal, maybe the slightest bit boggy.  Still getting the buzzing off and on, but much less noticeable than before.  However, I am getting extreme tightness of the groin/lifting of the testicles now.  Everything feels totally pinched off down there.  The only thing that brings relief is direct heat and antibiotics (for the anti-inflammatory effect).

Anyone else have any success?

Morg  
I have had this problem twice before (cell phone type vibration in the glans (glands) penis). I am a medical student and did a lot of research on it. I came to the conclusion that it is irritation of one of the spinal nerves of the sacrum. (sacral nerves supply the glans (glands) penis) The reason that this makes sense is because people with cervical (neck) or lumbar (lower back) nerve root irritation can manifest with tingling in the arms or legs respectively. The first time it happened to me it went away by itself after a week or so. The second time, I went and had my lower back and sacrum adjusted by an osteopathic physician. A chiropractor may be able to do this to. Shortly after my visit, the tingling went away and hasent happened since.
My guess as to the cause of the problem is a past history of low back injury (pull a muscle, etc), chronically sitting during your job, or a leg problem that might disrupt correct posture and cause the sacrum to be sitting between your pelvic bones in an asymmetrical way, thus slightly irritating one of those nerve roots.
My advice is to go see a DO or a chiropractor and see if they can adjust your sacrum. You could also see a DO or MD and get some muscle relaxants, although they don’t always work very well. NSAIDS (ibuprofen, asprin.. not Tylenol) might be helpful as well.
PS,
DONT take antibiotics for this, unless you prescribed them by your doctor for another condition. Antibiotics do NOT have anti inflammatory effects. All you are doing is setting yourself up for side effects and future antibiotic resistant infections which are bad! Take ibuprofen or aspirin
I just contracted this last night.. I was sitting in a chair with both legs extended on top of the seat of another chair.. It was a bit awkward because seat of the chair I rested my legs upon was a bit higher than the seat of the chair I was sitting on. .After about 15-20 in this position, my left leg fell asleep.. I got up to walk it off.. About an hour later, I felt like my cell phone was going off in my crotch.. As long as I moving around, I didn't feel it but when I went to bed last night, it was real noticeable.. This morning, no problem until I had been sitting at my desk for more than an hour.. Not painful but very distracting and rhythmic.. This is my first time experiencing this.. Something in the way I was sitting last night seemed to trigger it.. First the leg going to sleep and now this.. The sensation is similar to the leg falling asleep.
I had this buzzing and my GP used his stethiscopt to see if he could here it.  It went away but the problems got worse.  I ended up with bacterial and fungal prostatitis and everything went numb.  Things are coming back with anti-fungal therapies, alternative and western medicine and a big diet change.  Check out Wikipedia - Fructose, it is very accurate about diet changes needed.
Chuck
I had the same problem with the pulsating buzzing feeling in the in the shaft of the penis. It is like vibrate of a cell phone in the front of your pants. My natural medicine friends said it was a spasm. He told me to get liquid magnesium supplement. I started by drinking an oz. of the magnesium and  I also actually put it on the penis shaft and within minutes after applying it the pulsation went away.  I used Eniva corp. brand. But there maybe others in a liquid form as well. It really works great...thanks God for the natural health people...Rick
anyone else try the above yet?
Okay- just read the WHOLE thread.  I don't drink caffiene, don't drink, don't do drugs, I'm not stressed at work (I absolutely love my job).

The two things I have been doing differently since the vibrating started is that I have started running again and I do seem to sit longer at work than I did a month or so ago.  Based on that on other information above, I have to believe it is back- or sitting-related.

Love the forum-  thanks gentlemen.  Feeling more at ease.
Just started having the same symptoms. slight vibrating in the penis. read somewhere else that it could have been from over exerting your self while exercising. bingo, a day before I started to notice the vibrations I had done three sets of incline sit ups and did more per set than I have ever usually done. Hoping that this was the cause. going to try the magnesium if it does not go away...thanks to everboby who posted !!!
I am so relieved.  I am a 35 yr old healthy male from Houston.  Three days ago I felt a buzzing sensation in the shaft and head of my penis and now I feel it again today.  This feeling was so unnatural that I did not know what to think and did not want to tell anyone about it out of fear that they might think I was crazy.  Anyway, I did a search on Google “vibrating sensation penis” and found you guys.  Thank God for this Forum and everyone’s posts!  Seems to me though that a lot of different things within the body can cause this sensation to occur.  I don’t think it is the same thing for everyone, but in my case I am leaning more towards a back / nerve issue like osteodoc 10 suggests.  I ruptured my L5S1 disk four 1/2 months ago.  I am mostly healed from the ruptured disc now and am staring to work out and run again.  I noticed the buzzing three days ago in the evening after an abb workout(incline sit ups included last set with a 70lb weight on my stomach).  Went without the vibrations for a day, but ran three miles today and did another abb workout this afternoon.  Guess what the vibrations are back again this evening.  Think that working out is aggravating my back / and or nerves and this is somehow causing these vibrations to occur after my body has been stressed.  Just wanted to share another experience.
Hi Guys,
Just wanted to chime in. I had this symptom about two years ago for a very short time.  My general practitioner laughed out loud when I told him about my vibrations and had no advise.  I'm 53, have had an asymmetric prostate gland for 10 years and get checked annually. I had a prostate biopsy last year with no bad news.  This morning when I awoke guess what was back? Say hello to my little friend... Buzzy McWilly.  It has been doing the same rhythmic buzzing which most of you have experienced all day today.  Coincidentally, I do have a weak back but it isn't very bad at this time. I have been spending more time than usual on the couch these past two weeks with my legs up.  I've been one week on doxycycline for possible lyme infection after a tic bite too.  thanks for all your info.  Let's just NOT get little blue ribbons to wear on our lapel!
I was amazed to find others with this issue. I thought I was not going to find anything from my internet search.  The age group seems to range from about 25 up. I am 46, about 30 pounds over weight, and a builder. My back does hurt but like I said “I am 46, about 30 pounds over weight, and a builder.”  

As far as the thread above from Chuck09 goes, “my GP used his stethoscope to see if he could here it.” I would have had to have made a buzzing sound just to see the look on Dr. Carlos’s face.

( Doctors visit $50.00. Antibiotic penis cream, $50.00. The look on your Doctors face when your penis hums a tune, Priceless :) A little penis inspired levity is always a good thing… In more ways than one!

Well, it’s good to know no one has died from this and no ones parts have fallen off. I feel better now. I had a prostate exam about a year ago so it’s about time for another. I will print these threads and bring them with me to my Doctor so he doesn’t thinks I’m nuts while he’s, checking my nuts.  

Hello.  I told my wife about my vibrating penis yesterday, and she said "look it up."  So I was like "Oh great, here come the sex toys."  But, suprisingly, I found this post.  I have exactly the same symptoms as many of you.  It feels like a vibrating cell phone, and that's what I thought the first time, until I realized that I don't have a cell phone.  I used to have a cheap tracfone, but that was a while ago.  And it was more faint than even a cell phone too.  It lasts for a couple of seconds, happens about 3-4 times within 1 minute, then stops, and it doesn't happen again for a couple of hours.

This may not be relevant to any of you, and I didn't even think about it until after I had read all of your posts, but do any of you use a laptop much?  I knew I had felt this sensation before, and I finally pinpointed it yesterday.  It had happened a few times while I was using a laptop (directly on top of my penis) at my wife's family's house.  I don't use them a whole lot, but I do remember it happening then.

Oh, and I noticed that I'm posting on the two year anniversary to the Original Poster.  Maybe it's a sign...?
I'm getting it too.  I'm 32 and a student.  I too use a laptop directly on my lap if I am working in bed.  My symptoms started in my leg about 3 months ago, exactly where my cell phone is kept when it is in my pocket.  Then recently, about 3 weeks ago, I started feeling the same sensation in my penis.  No pain, just a little vibration.  Everything seems to be functioning normally, but still, me no likey.  I ride a motorcycle, keep a cell phone in my pocket, have very minor back issues occasionally, sit at a desk alot, drink lots of coffee, am sexually active, and use an electric shaver.  Not worried yet, but soon will be!
I'm 56 and the buzzing started after i took up swimming because I ripped my calf playing tennis.  I went to the nurse practioner and all thay could do is test for an infection. Its been a week and it is a real annoyance.    I too heve an S1-L5 disk problem and have been sitting at work more.  It comes and goes but definately after the work out.  When will it STOP?
Im 38 started buzzing today all day every sixty seconds or so.
Married no std, no back problem.  This is curious, wish we could just wear a pad
I am highly grateful to whoever posted the stuff about One-a-day pills. I saw that a couple of people seemed to have trouble with it and the spasms coincided with me starting to take those pills. I seriously thought the cell phone used to ring whenever these spasms came by. It was a big jolt to me when I read that it almost has no cure. This was the day after I had been to my fave band's concert. A total dampner after an amazing day. I wish it had been different but yes one thing I am sure of is the fact that these one-a-day pills did trigger these spasms and once I stopped taking these pills they went away in a couple of days. I dont know how it works with others who dont take one-a-day pills but if you do take some kind of vitamin pills try stopping them for a while and see. If it works, I will be happy for you but if not keep trying till you zero down on the cause.Thanks a lot to this community post!
Here is an answer. A nerve problem....
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Urology-Male-issues-989/2008/5/Vibrations-Groin.htm
lol? you ask US the question, yet you post links containing all the answers? you can't read them for yourself?
I have the same thing guys well my vibration (muscle spasm) is more below the base of the penis but likely the same it happens now and then but i have not been to the doctor about it but i can say i have had lower back pain and neck pain for the past 5 years which is down to a trapped nerve again i have never been to the doctor about it. So maybe the nerves are the key to the vibration.
I found this article today.  When I first noticed it, it was after spending the greater of 15 hours on a hard dining room chair working from home.  When I got up at the end of the 15 hours, I first noticed the issue.  It too felt like I had my phone on my hip vibrating...it was that faint.  No pain, nothing appeared out of the ordinary.  I went to bed and ignored it.  The next morning it was still there.  After arriving at work today, I noticed blood in my stool.  Now, I don't know how relevant bloody stool is in regards to spicy foods but I have had a ton of spicy food this week ...cajun jumbalaya (sp?), spicy burritos, etc.. (more so than I normally eat).  The link below talks specifically about this issue and makes a reference to spicy foods and sitting for long periods of time.  It's an answer posted by Dr. Arthur Goldstein.

I'm 33 years old and my penis just started vibrating yesterday.  My symptoms are basically like all of yours, there is no pain just an odd vibration.  I have genital herpes so I immediately blamed that, but after reading this forum (and other research) it seems there could be other explanations.  I threw out my back almost a month ago.  I have been healed and good for about 2 weeks but now I have this vibrating penis.  I think it's probably related to nerve damage, which attributed to the back injury, but it could also be related to genital herpes.  

I don't see how it could have anything to do with a urinary tract infection but who knows!  I'll report back when I see some change in vibration status.  Good luck everyone and thanks for bouncing these ideas around.
Hello.. I'm 42. I have been experiencing issues with my prostate since my early '20's. The latest in the series is the vibrating penis sensation. I first noticed it about 3 weeks ago, after a 5 hour drive. During which time I was experiencing stiffness in my back. Without being overly repetitive, I have been experiencing similiar symptons as many of you. My question to you all is if you have notice any ED as a result of this? I'm hoping this will eventually go away, as I'm sure the rest of you do.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories.
Yeh , I got it too. 41 ,healthy, in shape, electrician, I do drive 2 hours a day.My back has been feeling a bit tight, not sure if related. Glad I'm not alone, thought I might be goin crazy.
I thought i was going crazy, reaching for my cell phone all day and i keep seeing it sit on the coffee table or other places. I finally held my penis  and i actually feel the slight vibration. It worries me that a doctor hasnt posted a comment. My neck has felt a little quirk Ive had two back surgeries L-5 S-1.  A guy i work with is a chiro im going to ask him to help me. I ll let you know how it goes.
I had similar sensation-pulsating in the root of penis for few seconds 3 to 4 times a day.On the third day i got both of my feet Numb.Again after third day Numbness settled in the soles of my feet. It is tightness or numbness.since last three years i am having this tightness or say unexplainable sensation. sometimes I do get Persis sensations.
I am trying desperately to find remedy for the sole-tightness I am 78. I do sit long hours reading or surfing and i also take Multivitamin tab for almost 50yrs Same brand.Might stop for few days to see the effect.
I think that kegel exercises can perhaps help.Kegel Exercises In yahoo,is prescribed by a doctor for strenghtening pelvic floor muscle.All detals are given there.it may be tried.
this is awesome, thanks everyone.. Cell Phone Buzz appears to definitly be related to the back and spine.. I'm an x athlete (runner/swimmer) but still stay in shape and lifeguard every summer. 38 yrs old, I run alot and had a strange lower back injury that took 2 months to heal.. I also had a slight case of prostitis 8 years ago, been taking saw palmetto since.. masturbate once a day minimum, sometimes 3 or more...

i've had other small muscle spasms in my legs and arms throughout my life but never serious enough to warrant any help... The penis buzz is no different, I'm just glad it's not something fatal...  Everyone Enjoy their buzz !!!
I think your diagnosis is most valid. I'm 50, history of back problems, wok out regularly, etc. does anyone know if this is a recent phenomenom, or has the internet merely allowed us to come out, so to speak, with an age old issue?
Any screenwriters out there considering taking this on as a  sci-fi drama/horror ?
I am 56, in good health and have the exact symptoms everyone else is describing. I went to my Dr and at first he too looked at me like I was nuts. After i told him about this thread of comments, he took things a bit more seriously and with genuine concern said 'you're too young for this to happen'.

He stated (and I may misquote here) that there is an artery running from the heart directly to the penis. It is THIS artery causing the problem. He actually suggested this could be a very serious heart condition... one that could be fatal.
He asked that I walk up stairs to see if it would increase the intensity or frequency. I did the stairs; no difference. Before i could call back and report, the vibrations stopped. For about a month or so it just disappeared. Now it's back... frequent and steady. It does stop from time to time, but it's happening as i am typing. I have no idea if the 'heart' diagnosis is accurate or not, but my question to all of YOU is, "do any of you have hernias?" As it happens I do and I am wondering if the pressure caused by it might be causing this problem too.
I have that buzzing too but made some extra money offering a two for one bonus, stiff hard on with built-in vibrator! My cellphone is ringing off the hook, the bad news is I answered my **** instead of my cell!
I'm glad I found this post.  It's just beginning for me.  I noticed it more with a particular pair of jeans and more so now for the past couple of nights.  I've begun to take a new Vitamin E supplement, have been eating spicier foods.  I have been taking an antibiotic as well, so maybe it's all related.

Hope it goes away, but am a little nervous as I haven't seen anyone reply after it has.
can anyone help me i have small red bumps on the tip of my penis but they dnt hurt and i have bumps on my sac... i have some itching there... i have bumps on my thighs and they itch....and i have two or three bumps on my shaft... but they dnt itch...... someone help me and tell me if i have something
Outandabout, I am 55 have the same symptoms as everyone else on this thread. I also have a hernia (diagnosed, no surgery yet) which I have suspected may be the (pardon the pun) root cause. Does the sensation ever migrate to your anus as well?
I think i found a CURE!!!!!

Ok.. I have been on this forum and read everything... about 5 weeks ago it started..annyoing the hell out of me.. i cut 5 hour energy drink , i did drive 8 hours prior to that day and that could have triggered it.. who know.. but what i do  know is last night as usuall it was buzzing like it always does (for the last 5 weeeks !!).. so i decided to open a bottle of wine  and  take  a BATH not a shower , but a bath!! .. i had pretty good buzz.. and the water was HOT..now i stress it was borderline  unbearable hot..but i sucked it up and stayed in the bath for 20 minutes.. my Nuts were loose  and i was just relaxing.. anywho.. after the bath..i had sex with my wife (lasted about  25 minutes ) and went to sleep ..woke up this morning.. nothing???? no buzzing nothing!!!!! it has been 9 hours so far and nothing.. i know its premature.. but its completely GONE!!.

Now guys .. is it a coincendence?? i really dont think so!!!  My thought is that the HOT *** WATER..  loosened up or  did something.. to whatever muscle was causing the vibrations!!!

PLEASE IF YOU ARE STILL DEALING WITH THIS.. TRY THE HOT BATH FOR 20 MINUTES OR SO.. make sure the water is as hot as you can handle without burning yourself!!   and just to eliminate any other doubts.. please either jerk off or have sex with your lady .. im just trying to give you the steps that worked for me!!!

I hope this helps

Hello All,

OK, I am a 59 yo male and have had the same mild "buzz-vibration-flowing fluids" feeling in especially the top side of my penis - while lying in bed, sitting in a chair watching TV, etc. Not pain, just annoying and abit scary I suppose. Lasts a few seconds and comes and goes. Nothing constant fortunately.

I have ruled out with my doctor everything and he and I are friends so he has even consulted with others. The THREE doctors who gave me a quick and very similar answer all said it was tied into my low back problems. I have a little disc degeneration at L3-L5,  and I do sit alot day and night. I often use a recliner, but I am still putting pressure on my low back. This puts pressure on the L3-L5 discs especially. Well, it turns out that the L3 disc in particular, if the nerves around it or the disc itself is irritated, bruised, inflamed, herniated, or in any way insulted, can cause that genital area (including the scrotum and also the "perineal" area between the scrotum and your anus) to vibrate, twitch, buzz, and do other interesting but not harmful things.

They all said to me that they had many male patients who experienced this, and the best way to get it to stop or under control was to ice the low back, take anti inflammatory for the back-back nerves, and if you have not done so ever, have your low back x-rayed and maybe even an MRI like I had so you can see if you have low back disc problems.

I started not sitting as much, started icing abit more with a ice gel pack, and it went away! I was having abit more symptoms in my back lately but never connected the symptoms in my penis and genital area to my low back. It's what they called a "referred pain" or nerve sensation type of thing - going from the back through to the corresponding spots in the front of my body. Made sense to me, and as I said, they told me they had alot of scared, confused and embarrassed men tell them and ask them about it.

It might not be the case with you, but if you sit alot, have low back problems, especially disc problems, it is probably tied in would be my guess. I would ask your doctor or see a back doctor who can do good X-rays and exam to be sure that it is not your back. If you already know you have low back or disc problems, then talk to whoever treats that for you and see if you can have them calm down the back nerves and see if that does the trick.

Gee, it would be so much less worrisome-irritating if it actually was the type of thing that felt erotic or stimulating! At least for me that would have possibly made me not ever complain about it to my doctor! :)

Good luck to you all.

DRT
Hi Everyone,

I have found I have this exact symptom (spasming penis) if I ingest caffeine.

When I discontinue caffeine consumption (avoiding tea and coffee) for several weeks, the spasming stops. But as soon as I consume caffeine, the spasming starts again.

I have noticed this with other muscles after consuming caffeine. For example, my eyelids start spasming if I consume caffeine for a few days in a row.

There’s another variable thrown in. :)

Take care and good luck.

I am 38 years old and healthy, and had a physical about a 8 months ago. Other than these "vibrations" that started a week ago, I have had no other symptoms. I was worried for a few days, and then decided to search online for an answer. This thread has given me so much relief. Based on reading everyone's contributions, I also think its related to nerves, lower back, etc. To those reading this in the future, I hope you get the same relief I did from reading all these messages. Its a great feeling.. no pun intended.
31 here, have been experiencing this for about 3 months now. Once again thought it was my cell phone going off. I used to think it was funny to put my cell phone between my legs when I drive, so when someone calls- yup my balls virbate and well i am happy to hear from whomever called me. However, now the same feeling is going on with no cell phone down there, anyways, when i am active and walking around no problem, but when I am sitting - usually driving or using the computer- the vibrates begin. Mine is more at the base of my balls rather than my penis- nice to know others are dealing with this, but not nice to know no one has posted a reason or a cause for the problem.
Hopefully someone will return here with an answer other than the lower back. I have been having massages for the last 6 months every month and currently don't have any lower back problems or pain, but i do drive all day long in a chevy malibu-which the seats absolutley suck for your back.
I'm 44, and I also have the exact same problem. I have not seen a doctor yet, but I'm thinking the back issues are most likely the cause - I play a lot of basketball at lunch and my back gets banged around during the games. Also, I've put on 10-15 pounds over the last 12 months, and that might have put added presure on my spine. If anyone comes up with something that is validated, please add a post for the rest of us. My vibration started 3 days ago, and want to see it cleared up ASAP.
Im 21 and for about 4 days i been having the spasm and i haven't had any back problems at all and i was wondering if anyone has fine anything out yet cause i cant afford to go see the doctor at the moment
Im 35 and have the same cell phone type vibration also... more in the head of my penis. No burning or sores or any other syptoms (symptoms). Some times its constant, other times it comes and goes. Have had the problem over the last 2-3 weeks now. I havent had any major back issues only minor aches and injuries. I do tend to be under a lot of stress and have issues with anxiety, not sure if thatas a contributing factor. Glad to know I'm not alone though. Im 15-20 pounds over weight had hernia surgery at 2 and 12 and have had a few run ins with kidney stones so I had no idea where to begin with what might bew the cause. I feel it standing or sitting when it starts and the last few days it has been pretty constant. Wish there was a clear cut reason or two to ease my mind.  
I have started to experience the same problem,  I do sit an awful lot at work.  I do mountain bike occasionally.  I  was on anti-biotics recently and Xanax for a brief period. Had a colonoscopy about six months ago.

Just throwing out some things  in hope of making a connection.

BTW I am 47 yr. old White dude...
Search PIRIFORMIS MUSCLE; SCIATICA NERVE STRANGULATED BY PIRIFORMIS MUSCLE MAY CAUSE UN EAPLAINABE SENSATIONS.SIMPLE STRETCHES ARE RECOMMENDED IN THESE WEBSITE.I AM DOING THE SAME i have sensation of tightness in soles of my feet and numbness in my legs. Just trying something, in absence of firm diagnosis..

I was a cofirmed smoker for 50 years. I stopped smoking since last 3 years. Pobably i  started getttng Ithtness in soles of my feet after cessation of smoking. Can this be withdrawal symptom? I do not dare to resume smoking for tightness symptoms. as the damage by smoking will be much more than thightmess.
Wow, I am glad I found you all.  I started getting the "buzz" about two days ago and couldn't figure it out.  My wife and I went on a long walk over the weekend, about 12.7 miles, which is about 4X the amount we usually walk.  The next moring by lower back was very tight, and then the buzzing started. Sounds like the sensation is back related.  I am going to try a hot bath like the one of you suggested.  Thanks all for sharing!
Thankyou so so much for this thread. Thankyou!
I think its caffiene, lower back and nerve related.
When i am sitting in an uneasy position for long, and my back aches a little, the vibrating starts.
Or if i drink tea after dinner, the vibrating starts.
Sometimes it happens frequently after I masturbate.

Hey, y'all. Seventeen-year-old, healthy, if somewhat inactive male here. Guess what: I've got your same problem.

No sexual activity, no allergies or whatever: I'm your typical teen boy.

Well, except for the fact that I've got a magical buzzing penis.

This isn't the first time this has come up; back when I was eleven, this started before vacation, and I spend a week in South Padre suffering through this. Since we couldn't go to a doctor, we treated it as a urinary infection, which had minimal results.

Seeing as I don't have much control over my situation ("Hey, mom, can we go get my pelvis readjusted so my penis will leave me alone?"), I'd like to know if there're any home remedies for this obnoxious malady, short surgical removal.

Thanks for the help in advance~
I too have developed this recently. I did a little more research on it and I have found that it is a condition called "PROSTATITIS". It can be caused by a number of different things such as Too frequent or too infrequent ejaculation, sexual arousal without ejaculation, withdraw at the time of ejaculation, aggressive bike or horseback riding, spicy foods, alcohol, caffeine and sitting for long periods of time putting pressure on the prostate can all cause this symptom / condition. It can also cause mild to severe back pain. Many of you mentioned back pain, well the cause and effect are inverse. The pack pain is not causing the vibrating, it's the Prostatitis causing the back pain. This may occur as a single episode, re-occur or continue as chronic. Taking 320mgm of Saw-palmetto may help, but the best thing is to get an examination from a "Good" urologist. You may have an infected or some type of problem with your prostate that needs to be corrected.  
Thanks for your post HelpfulFriend

I have also done some research abotu Prostatitis, and I see that this has symptoms that most people here don't have (including me).

Here are some of the symptoms:

Difficulty with passing Urine
Pain during Urine (Pain between the legs)
Urine more than usual (especially at night)
Blood with Urine (although this happens rarely)

What do you guys think?
Hi all you men.  Get OFF of the prostate-related issues!  The answers are here multiple times over -- it has to do with your lower back, likely your piriformis muscle and sciatic nerve.  I am a WOMAN and have the cell-phone vibrating feeling in my upper crotch area which would be equivalent to the base of your penises from a nerve point of view.

This issue is definitely NOT a heart problem (where did that doctor get *that*?!), and is NOT a prostate problem.  This is a muscle/back/nerve problem.  Ibuprofen should help you with symptoms, but your doctor or physical therapist should be able help you with fixing the root of the problem.

Good luck.
I have sensation of tight feet and mild numbness in legs.I so not have any vibration sensations. I have started treatment for piriformis muscle since last 3 months.Tennis Ball massage on hips, crossing the leg and exercising the muscle.I had gone through certain web sites. I will further search for some more website as you have added some confidence in this diagnosis. I sit ong hours on computer and for teading.This is one of the factor affecting piriformis. i do not have any back issues. I am 78.I have these senseations since 3 and half years. I am alwo taking sarritio peptidase an enzyme which is anti infamatory and analgesic. I have yet to find the rilief. Please do send info on this subject.I  also have Ager-related-macular-deterioration.I have to use magnifying glass to read what i have typed ,in spite of magnifiied text. Thanks for giving inspiring news.
Two days back I opened second account which is not allowed. My old account was dalubaba. I have already asked them to delete my new accoun dal189. this is just for your information.
I've seem to come down with this "vibrating penis" thing.
It feels like it is at the tip, at the "back" sorta thing?... like, as silly as it sounds... looking down at it, it feels like it is coming from the back which you don't see looking down.

I do notice that you DON'T notice it if you're moving your leg or something while sitting, or just standing up walking around... but trying to lay down and sleep, or stay still sitting down it annoying.

No pain, just constant pulse is a real annoyance. I'm probably the youngest person here to have this problem thur far (judging by ages given in these many posts).

I'm just wondering if it's maybe like, a damaged / strained nerve? and this is it's way of healing? Does anybody have any actual information on how long this lasts? when should I expect this to clear up?. Also, does it go away on it's own? or is this something that needs surgery to fix or some kind of medication?

I really don't know if I'll be able to deal with this for any longer than maybe 2 more days. Right now, it hasn't even been 24 hours since I noticed it, and it's driving me crazy. I noticed it about half an hour after having a shower last night.
There is a nerve located between your anis and testicles or on a woman between her anis and vagina the nerve sometimes gets in a pinch or twist which sends vibrations through to the tip of the penis or on a woman  just above the clit area. The only way I have found to releve this problem is a warm massage to the area between the anis and testicles or vagina sometimes massaging the area with your fingers slightly hard to move the nerve a little I have done extensive serch on this as I to have had it and this is the only thing I have came up with. No I am not a Dr. But if this helps anyone it can't hurt. It helped me.
I don't feel so wierd since i found this forum.  Vibrating, fluid swooshing through a vein, every 2-5 seconds.  I do have a horrible back.  Hope that is it.  Driving me nuts.  I have to go, my cell phone is vibrating.
Thank God you guys are here!  26 year old "average" male here.  Have had a buzzing in my penis head for about a week now.  I do in fact carry a cell phone for work all day, every day in my pocket (have for 4 years) so thought they were phantom vibrations.

Interestingly enough I did go for a massage today and the RMT mentioned I have tightness in my back (upper, mainly) and neck - I wonder if the buzzing will diminish or stop tomorrow as I got a "deep tissue" done today.

The buzzing came and went this weekend, but came back tonight after I sat down to work on my laptop for  5+ hours, working on a laptop (along with some alcohol).  Sounds like I have the perfect recipe for a vibrating penis!  If the RMT can "fix" the tightness in my back - and if the vibrating stops, then great (as the posters above are correct).  If not I'll be visiting a doc to check on good ol' prostate.

Thanks all!!
Wow I am Glad I found you guys,

I thought my nuts were going nuts. I'm a 30 year old male who works out almost everyday. The vibrating started about 4 days ago and like many of the other no pain just annoying feeling. I to sit for long periods though out the day at work and have had back issues in the past. About a week prior to the buzzing feeling I had been doing standing shoulder presses. I had lifted the barbell over my head and lost my balance. I ended up arching my back backwards and felt a sharp pain that went way with in a few minutes. It was about a week later the vibrating started. I had just had a physical prior to that and everything was normal. I not over weight but I do have high blood pressure that is controlled with medication. So I don’t think it’s that because it’s never happened before. The other thing is the antibiotics. I had been taking Tami flu about the same time this started. I have stopped taking it a few days ago, not sure if that could be part of it. I am going to try the Chiropractor and the hot bath so I will let you know how that goes.

Who knows we all could be evolving into sometime of new sex machines and maybe our wives will be willing to have more sex with us..
Thanks.....

Gentlemen,
I must share with you my good news. As of this morning I have been vibration last night I did 2 things. First I used and inversion machine to hang upside down for awhile. This I believe relived the pressure off my lower back. Second, I took a hot bath which further released and pressure. So guys I too believe this is a back issues for some of us. Not everyone has access to an inversion machine but if you do try it. If not go get you’re back adjusted. I’m by no means a doctor but as of right now I got nothing going on down there. So I am pretty happy with that..
Good Luck I will keep you posted if it comes back..
So I've had this twice now. The first time occurred last summer and plagued me for nearly 2 months. Then this July I got it again. I almost went nuts reliving the hell that was last summer when I decided to retrace my actions  over the past 3 or 4 days and realized that I pushed myself too hard one day at the gym and it must be a lower back issue. I immediately stopped lifting weights and took 3 advil a day for 3 days and poof the problem is easily gone. Last year I continued to lift weights and the problem and vibrations only got worse. If you feel any signs of these symptoms immediately stop lifting weights and take it easy for a couple days and you will recover quickly.
I'm 18 sit a lot at work drink monsters a lot this problem has been happening for a week or so after reading this I took a big digger on my dirt bike awhile before this issue started happening my neck, lower back, hip, and ankle where hurt during the crash and I usally never go to the doctor if I can get up and walk away unless broken bones ect but I've been limping around for a few days now and the problem persists its in the base of my penis and looks like a muscle spasm I've seen it in action it lats a few seconds then stops I mean everything is woking fine no stds had check up last month but this is getting so annoying so I'm going to see the doc about this and show him this forum thanks guys
I have had this same vibration in the last few weeks.  I have had back pain for the last month or so. Went to Dr. yesterday and got prostate checked and that was ok.  Got steriod pack and started today.  No vibration since on steriod.  One thing I noticed last night. I could make the vibration start by putting my chin down on my chest.  Once I lifted it up it would stop.  I think it is a lower back nerve issue but am going to get a CT scan next week -
52 year old male here....i've been experiencing this same problem for about a week now. had a colonoscopy last wednesday (thankfully clear and clean) and started getting these vibrating sensations in my testicles/penis a day or 2 later. called my gastro doctor and was told the procedure had nothing to do with it. then went to see my urologist yesterday, and his exam came up with nothing wrong with my prostate or anything else. he prescribed ibuprofen, warm baths, supportive underwear, and regular intercourse with my wife, and to check back with him in a week. have done all of the above in the last 24 hours, and still have the vibrating. however, from reading all of these posts, one thing that sticks out for me is that i had a micro-lumbar discectomy a year ago to repair a herniated disc (L5-S1). maybe that has something to do with it.
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this post. Like all others have said, my husband is happy to know he's not crazy.  These symptoms describe to a "T" what he's been experiencing.  he's 28, lifts weights and just started running long distances again. He also sits at a desk for his entire workdays, plus some.   He recently had a physical several weeks ago and is fine, but the buzzing didn't start until about a week ago, after getting checked out.  

All things definitely add up to probably a lower back issue, as he's always had a tightness/soreness in his back as well.  Will try the warm bath & chiropractic adjustment, and of course he thinks that having more sex will be the best cure of all. :)

One thing that doesn't add up though is that he had his gallbladder removed about 4 months ago, and said that occasionally since the surgery, he'll have the same sort of tingling feeling on his side where his gallbladder used to be.  The penis tingling is just within the last week or so, but he's had the gallbladder tingling for a few months now.  Curious if anyone else has the gallbladder tingling as well?

Glad to have found this thread. I started experiencing the same rhythmic buzzing a couple days ago. It isn't constant but I was experiencing it when I started reading this forum. Having read a number of posts linking it to back/spine issues, as I sat here I consciously shifted my weight and changed my posture. It stopped. No kidding. I have no history of back problems, but I ride a bike, and have been increasing my mileage lately (routinely doing 3-4 hour rides on Saturdays, 2 hr rides on Sundays,  etc.). Also, two days ago (Sunday) I spent 3 hours on my bike attached to an indoor trainer due to rain outside. When you use a trainer indoors it's much different from being on the road, even though it's the same bike, because your posture and sitting position is more constant due to the absence of terrain variations. The pressure that a bike seat places on the area below the penis is well known among cyclists (temporary numbness is common). So this is a bit of a stab in the dark at this point, but I am suspecting that in my case the buzzing is linked to the cycling and in particular the time I spent on the trainer this past weekend. I thank all who posted here before me for adding their experiences, it was a comfort to find this forum and has really helped me focus on what the actual cause of this may be. Be well, all.
Lending support to the lower back problem theory.  Today was the very first time that I have ever experienced the vibration sensation.  I found this forum and read the posts with great interest.  I noted with surprise the entries about lower back pain.  Other than the vibration sensation, the only other odd thing that happened to me today (BEFORE the sensation appeared) was that I experienced not terrible, but considerable lower back pain (more of an aching) after I raked my lawn.  The fact that today was the first time that I had ever felt the vibration sensation and the occurrence of (prior) unusual lower back pain seems to me to lend a good deal of support to the posts that identify lower back injury as the cause of the vibration.  Just thought I'd add my story to the forum.

I am a 50 year old guy that is in good shape and reasonably healthy. A few months a go I also started having some strange things happening. I began to have a tingling sensation a few times a day that would extend from the stomach area down into the groin. The problem was that it felt sexual and was very arousing. The feeling gradually increased over weeks and became quite annoying. Now I am an average guy and I enjoy sex, but it became ridiculous. I was permanently aroused and then even worse, began to have spontaneous dry orgasms any time of the day, often a few in a row. At least I know what it feels like for women to have multiple orgasms. Then the buzzing started, especially at night when I lay on my side. The buzzing at times would be so intense that I would wake up having an orgasm. At times it was nice, but I was exhausted from it and it affected my interaction with friends as I became withdrawn. It felt as if my life had been invaded by something I had no control over. I was beginning to think I was going crazy. But then I recently found out that it seems as if it I might have injured the lower L3-L5 discs in my back. I am now going for regular physio and do exercises to strengthen my back, and guess what, it is almost gone. The buzzing has stopped completely. Hope this helps someone.
A related discussion, Tingling Penis was started.
I've had that feeling as well but the weird thing is that it's not an IMPRESSION. It actually IS vibrating slightly.

When my wife and I are having sex, she can feel it as well and the first time she felt it she was a bit concerned. Now we joke about it. It's been going on for about six months.

It seems to be happening more and more often and I wonder if it's not simply normal but lots of men just don't talk about it. I mean face it, can you see yourself by the waterbottle telling your work-buddies that you have a vibrating penis?

Me neither...

I'm 38 and had a vasectomy about a year ago. I'm in great shape, not fat at all, I play ice hockey regularly, I don't have an STD and my prostate is normal. I do work sitting down most of the time and I commute 3 hours daily all sitting down in the train/metro.

I'm a light drinker (few drinks/week, mostly beer and wine). Never did drugs.

Also I've worn boxer briefs most of my adult life except when I play sports.
lord_galathon,

Too funny:)  I thought the same!  I am fairly open with my conversations and work in the tech field.  I had a vibrating penis a couple of years ago for a few weeks and researched the topic over and over.  The sensation recently returned to my delight!:) - that is a joke - sort of:)  Everyone on this threads shares very similar symptoms.  The best answer/cause I have found which makes the most sense is nerve related.  Years back, I tilted my office chair forward which seemed to solve the issue.  Now, I feel the issue might be with my lower back and/or recent workouts (I am fit with very little fat).  Nonetheless, I will continue to try different solution until I find another that works ... until then, I will enjoy the ride!:)
Hi guys,

Could not believe it yesterday when I found this site and found soooo many guys with the same problem.

I too have the "phone vibration...pulse". Comes and goes. I am very fit, 51, no fat, gym, surfing, biking etc...

I too believe it to be back related. I have had back problems for some time in the L5, S1 area and this recently got worse. I then went surfing on the weekend , had a super sore back and then...bang the vibrations started. These are improving but have lasted 3 days so far.

Has anybody seen anything about this thing getting worse? I can live with buzzing, but don't won't to "lose" any abilities if you know what I mean.

Thanks!
I concur withe the back pain/spinal interference.  I had severe lower back pain, beginning a few weeks ago, now dissipating with several chiro adjustments.  The vibrations began in the side waist area, then moved to the upper 1/3 of the penis,  All of this directly coincides with the lower back pain...hope it all goes away as the back improves.  There are a lot of nerves in that old spinal cord!  Sadly, the vibration is confined to the first person...doesn't seem to transfer to the partner.  Wouldn't my wife love to feel that sensaton!
Looks like I'm the youngest one to have this issue... I'm 21 and this just started happening in the middle of the night last night.  Not so much painful or worrisome as it is annoying.  I have no history of back pain to speak of.  The only thing it looks like could be the cause is lack of exercise.   I was lifting weights regularly up until about 3 weeks ago when I got pretty sick, and have been bumming it around the house ever since.  I suppose the change in exercise could be the issue, in junction with the sitting around?  I know about everybody has said this, but I was WOWED when I found this thread.  Never thought my bass-pumping penis would have others like it.
Obviously everyone's different but this helped me. Hopefully it helps at least one person.

First off, don't stress. Twitching, all over the body, is normal.

I was STRESSING about a personal problem. I started to go to the gym to "get away" from my problem(s). I've been working a lot on my legs, trying to grow them. Doing a lot of squats and leg presses.

[[Keep reading, it will all make sense]]

Around the same time, I had been doing a lot of work on my LAPTOP, with the laptop on my lap. I was balancing the laptop with my legs causing GROIN TIGHTNESS.

I too, like you was concerned with the twitching/vibrating. I did research. THE ANSWER:
--STRESS lowers levels of MAGNESIUM in the body. Magnesium deficiency is known to cause several problems including muscle twitching and spasms. I stopped stressing.
--OVER EXERTION from lifting weights also lowers magnesium levels. I took a break.
--I BOUGHT FOODS HIGH IN MAGNESIUM. Do your own research. You'll need to balance the magnesium with calcium etc. It can cause diarrhea if you take too much. You may also take supplements but I like to get my minerals from natural foods. We need about 400 mg of magnesium per day. Most of us do not take in enough and our bodies don't create it. If you have been stressing mentally as well as physically, chances are that you need more magnesium. It sounds so simple but IT WORKED FOR ME. SEVERAL DAYS WITH NO TWITCHING. Remember that I also stopped stressing and when I do computer work I make sure my legs are at rest. Hopefully this helps. Good luck.
I too have a buzzing ****. Not sure how long it's been going on for, I think I ignored it for a few weeks but now I am paying more attention to it.  Thought it might've been cause I had unprotected sex with this one girl but after finding this page, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a magical buzz stick.  

Gonna try some back stretches and that magnesium thing.
i have the same light buzzing more to the head of my penis.  I had it for about a month or two.  Not all the time but most of the time.  I just joined the gym last week and started weight lifting , running stretching.  the buzzing hasnt happened all day today!  I think it is nerve related in the lower back. try to do some basic stretching for you syattic (spelling) nerve.  i think this may help.  even though its not this nerve that causes the problem the stretching does help.  I will let you know if the buzzing comes back.   FYI I am 43 good health , just had a vasectomy , thought that was the problem but my doc said no.  good luck i know it *****,  i kept checking my cell to see if it was buzzing. it also make you feel like you have to pee!
Where do I begin?

Mid 40’s, in-shape, workout body guy.  Not a bodybuilder but good physique. Avid bike-rider and technical career so sitting in front of computer for years.  Also had lower back surgery in Fall 1997.

Last summer, did a fair amount of bike riding.  Beginning in the Fall 09 renewed gym membership and doing treadmill and\or elliptical on a daily basis for one hour along with working out body and concentrating everyday on legs. Leg workout consisted of hamstrings, glutes, quads, etc.  Before my workout, I would drink a 16 oz cup of coffee to give me energy.  I also sit a lot during the day in front of computer.

Late November 09, started to have a numbing, pinching feeling at the tip of my penis. Felt like clothing material constantly rubbing on head.  Went to doctor and he checked me out and said there is no irritation inside the penis (PHE-EW!!) and urine test (bladder and kidneys) was negative. Doc gave me antibiotics and diagnosis as urinitis? Irritation from chemicals like soap in the uretha.  Continued heavy leg workouts with cardio conditioning.

Beginning of January ’10, symptoms return and doc gives me same meds. Take another urine test and negative. Continue with coffee and heavy workouts.  Symptoms get worse at end of January, so doc sends me to urologist.  Doc does “finger” probing and prostate is fine and also another negative urine test.  Explained to doc that I was drinking coffee and she explained that bladder is filling up with urine during workout so be sure to empty out before workout.  

So in February, follow urologist’s advice and continue leg workout and cardio and still having issues.  Decided to research on my own.  After finding this blog, I did more research and have concluded that this is nerve problem from my over worked leg muscles.  Check out this website more info on the pudendal nerve:

www.pudendal.info

I am experiencing all the symptoms that are mentioned on this site.  I am following the advice about what exercises to do and not to do and so far I am feeling better.  My once weak erections are returning full throttle (YEE-AYYY!!!!) and having less discomfort in my penis.  The pudendal nerve is NOT the problem but the over worked glute(butt) muscles and my ligaments are incredibly tight according to my chiropractor who is helping with adjustments on my sacrum and lower back.  I am now giving my body a rest and ONLY doing “Treadmill Lite” exercise to keep me in-shape.  I am also having a trigger-point massage therapist work out the kinks in my legs as these trigger-points are definitely affecting the nerve.

I will now buy a new bike seat and looking for a new workout routine that does not involve heavy weight training.  Also, I need to be careful how I am sitting in front of the computer to make sure that my lower back and pelvis are in a comfortable position.  

Hope this information helps!  

Glad to have found you all...  I'm 32 and started having the problems a couple days ago.  I sit at a desk all day, and I'm a part-time law student so also into the night.  I was joking to my wife that I think my penis is picking up radio frequencies, and asked her what station she wanted to listen to.  Or maybe aliens are trying to communicate with my penis!

Going to try the hot bath, maybe the magnesium, try to exercise more, and if it persists, I'll go to a urologist.
WOW!  Thought I was losing it when I first noticed this ("penis vibe") several days ago!  

I'm 55, Type 2 Diabetic, not overweight (6' - 1" tall, 165 lbs). I've had an annoying "nagging" sensation in my right front hip and groin area for some time now, sit a lot at work... work in Information Technology for 26 years now... drive 50 miles round-trip to work, 5 days a week and then sit and watch some TV in the evenings. I don't have lower back problems like most on this thread, but do have a "damaged" (i.e. ~ compressed) disc in upper back that gave me some real sharp neck and shoulder pain years ago that I underwent out-patient treatments for and which the pain has never returned.

I'm wondering if it, the "penis vibe", could be tied into the hip/groin area discomfort I've been experiencing for quite sometime now?

Input anyone?
Hey everyone. I'm a 21 year old male. No drinking, smoking, etc.

I really am starting to think this is a back/nerve problem, or perhaps maybe even stress or anxiety. It's close to finals week for me in college.  The other night I noticed this buzzing sensation at the base of my penis. It wasn't like pins or needles or when your foot falls asleep. It's a very subtle, very faint buzz that comes in spurts or remains constant. I only notice it while staying still. ALSO, at the very same time this started, the top of my right foot felt the very same faint buzzing.  I thought maybe it was muscle spams of some kind. I've recently been trying to exercise but only doing pushups in the mornings before shower. I usually push myself hard.  Also, I've been sitting and studying a lot. I have very poor posture when I sit and my lower back is always bent. I've had poor sitting posture like that for a while so it seems odd that suddenly I would feel it.
In any case, I have a doc appointment this Friday (for other reasons) so maybe I'll mention this to him as well. It's really annoying trying to study because the faint buzz is so distracting. It's also aggravating trying to get to sleep (I already have enough trouble with rumbling in my left ear). If I find out anything I'll let everyone know.
Add  one more to the list!  I'm 47 and have been feeling "the vibe" for about 2 months now.  Same symptoms as all of you and same feeling of needing psychiatric evaluation.  After seeing my Urologist, GP and having a CT, an MRI, blood work and prostate examinations - the verdict is: MY LOWER BACK.

I have a herniated disc between L4 and L5 which bothers me from time to time and pinches my sciatic nerve that runs out of my lower back and down my leg.  Off the trunk of this nerve comes the dorsal nerve which runs down the entire upper shaft of the penis from the base to the head and is also connected to the scrotal nerves of the testicles.  It is this dorsal nerve that vibrates and it is a result of a lesion or over stressed lower back nerves.  So, taking care of your back will help take care of your FRONT.  By the way, I was prescribed Naprosyn EC to help the inflammation and physical therapy to strengthen my back muscles - it's doing the trick. Hope this helps!
I have it too. 45, six feet, 210 lbs, mildly active married college professor. Buzzing on and off in the penis, near the glans (glands), particularly during or after masturbation. Bad sitting position may exacerbate it.

I worried that it was an indication of some sort of circulatory problem.

But the back/nerve idea does make sense. I have had therapy, including chiropractic, on the back several times within the last four years. I have a slight scoliosis. My neck will go "out" -- weird asymmetry, a sort of cranelike posture -- my wife recognizes it immediately; she'll say "your neck hurts, doesn't it?" the moment I walk in the room. So, yes, I fit the profile of the other guys on here who have spinal/nerve issues.

I am grateful to find this thread, because usually what I find when I research a symptom, no matter how small, is that I have contracted a fatal illness and that the end is coming.

Thanks to everyone, and good luck.
Here is what I think - Sitting, laptop on lap, bad lower back.  I tried to tell my wife it was from lack of sex, oh well.  

So - sittiing, laptop in bed and bad lower back.  1 or all 3.  Having cystoscopy just in case  
What Worked For Me

I had the same vibration, buzzing, repetitive muscle spasm everyone else has been describing, but no more. No hot baths, no hot sex, no chiropractic adjustment, no invasive probes. Just one OTC 250mg magnesium tablet every day for several days. It didn't go away instantly, but noticeably decreased over several days. Within a week, no muscle spasms. That's what has worked for me.
Want to first note, I am not a doctor so my theory is purely on my experience with this issue and what I think led to it.

I was expriencing the very same symptoms everyone has expreienced: Periodic pulsing of a vibration in groin/penis area very similar to a cell phone and it was almost 1-2 seconds and very periodic.

What Happened:  I have recently increased my excercise regiment with P-90X which is quite an intense workout if you are a general gym rat.  Well I was doing the dip unders (for those who know, its simulating going under a fence and back motion).  Well I came back on my first time doing this excercise and I felt a zing in my lower back.  Generally when my butt was in the air ready for the next rep.  I think it was when the spine was able to decompress after the previous rep.  I immediately stopped and just chalked it up to a lower back not inshape.  That night when sitting at my desk, I started to feel the intense buzzing.  Because my workouts for the next few days were on other body parts, I was able to rest the back.  I noticed the buzzing was continually decreasing when I was only stationary and now no longer notice it at all.  It took about 2 weeks.

Theory:  I think I may have tweaked/overworked a lower back or pelvis muscle which may have been close to a nerve of the groin/penis.  This may explain the periodic pulsing of the muscle spasming against the nerve.  I did notice the vibration is simmilar if you ever crack your neck or back too aggressively and you feel that immediate zing which is similar to a vibration.  So from the above comments, I see alot of "bad back" issues and zink remedies which may be all of the same thing: pressed nerve due to trama or swelling.  Either way, its something to talk to the doctor about if it continues.

Just my two cents.  Hope it helps.
I am a 39 year old healthy married male, and I just started feeling the rhythmic vibration across the tip of my penis. It’s been going on for three days now, with no end in sight. I was also very worried, and can’t believe I found this forum on my very first search. I too had an L5 S1 (or something like that) herniated disc issue that was very painful…but that was a number of months ago…and I have not had any pain in my back since then.

All I can think of is that I just moved into a new house and have been spending a little time each night moving boxes around, so maybe that contributed to my situation. I will try the hot bath and the magnesium and report back. I can’t imagine this going on forever? Has anyone had the vibration for months, or even years?

Thanks everyone!
Started having the same sensations a couple of days ago. I am 54 tomorrow.  I am in generally good health but have had two lower back surgeries.  I have had two instances over the last few days that might hae triggered a "tweak" in my spine.  I was playing some one-on-one basketball with my older daughter and also bumped into a counter top corner pretty hard- kind of wrenched my back.  I do have a tightness in my lower back.  I am going to take some ibuprofen tonight, hot bath, and, I told my wife that it was suggested that she perform physical therapy on me.....she kind of laughed at that, but we'll see. :)
I am having this sensation too, but strangely, I'm a female!  I don't think it could possibly be my prostate, I am not sexually active at this time, I am very healthy and active, and would be considered underweight.  Could it be a back/nerve or circulation issue?
When I scratch my inside leg next to my ankle I can feel a slight vibration in my left groin. I'm going for an ECG today on my heart. I'm 39 and 6 ft 7 tall and weigh 19 stone. I have swollen ankles and tops of feet with water retention that often leaves pitting.
Sometimes it goes away for a week and then returns. Personally I think it's what I'm eating.
Iv had a blood test from the docs and everything came back fine. However all these issues scares the he'll out of me. My doc doesn't quiet know why my feet are often swollen but tells me to exercise more
Had this happen to me last night.
I didn't remember setting my penis up with any wireless carriers or setting it to silent vibration mode so I wasn't sure what was going on.

32 year old male. Sexually active and regularly so.
No health issues, no back problems.
I did pull my groin (relatively seriously) about 6 years ago and occasionally can still feel it if I do any heavy lifting but otherwise have never experienced anything like this until now.
I was crouched down and leaning forward reaching out doing something when it started.

The vibrations were right at the base of the shaft and lasted about 30 seconds...it happened 3 times within about 10 minutes. Never happened before...hasn't happened in the, now, 5 or 6 hours after.
I read these comments about a week ago. Magnesium deficiency made sense so I increased my intake of foods high in magnesium. Been eating nuts, lots of almonds and walnuts and apples. My symptoms are nearly gone altogether so it appears to be working for me. Prior to onset I had been sweating due to heavy work (in sunshine) and drinking a bit too much alcohol, I think both contribute to a loss of magnesium (which it appears is important for our nervous system). Thanks for the help, hope it works for you too.
This is the third time I've gone through the same thing in the last two years.  For me, it coincides with lower back problems and I'm convinced that it's a pinched or inflamed nerve.  I have on-an-off problems with sciatica and pain around the sacrum.  All three times now, the buzz started up during an unusually severe and persistent bout of sciatica and lower back pain.  The last two times it gradually went away as the other problems went away.

Before my first experience with this, I went through physical therapy for back and leg pain.  During that time, I got the same sensation at the base of my spine - a rhythmic vibration, most noticeable when I was sitting.  I was told by both the physical therapist and my spinal doctor that this was a classic symptom of a pinched nerve.  

What to do about it?  I use a combination of a chiropractor, trigger point therapy (also known as neuromuscular massage), and a whole-body type of physical therapy known as the Egoscue Method.  You can find out more about trigger point therapy and the Egoscue Method by doing a Google search.

Most of my problems come from sitting behind a desk hunched over a keyboard all day, and general lack of physical activity.  Unfortunately, when I don't hurt I get lazy about doing my trigger point massages and Egoscue exercises, and gradually the pain creeps back in. Let it go too long, and I'm in real pain - and the buzzing returns.  The last two times, it cleared up after a few days.  Hoping for the same again!
thank god im not crazy!!! this has been going on for a week now and ive been the laughing stock of my so called friends, all i know is looking here, im going to my doctor and bringing a copy of this and letting him figure it out, thank you all for sharing your stories its helping me already.
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the sitting and lower back issues (nerves and such). I'm 21, a student and web developer and I spend about 6-8+ hours a day sitting at a computer. Yesterday was the first time I experienced this pulsation, and it has yet to stop. It happens a bit irregularly from once a minute to once every 6 seconds. I'm going to go to a doctor tomorrow to see if I can get this checked out.

It's really irritating when you're not busy, but I was super happy to stumble upon this forum.
Biology student here, most of these sound lower back related.
Mostly happens when you're sitting or lying down right? Well there is pressure being put on the nerve which causes the buzzing sensation.

At the very least I'd recommend doing some stretches on the lower back, do a you tube search and there are some good examples there. The sensation will stop whilst you stretch your lower back and this will at least give you piece of mind that this is the problem.

From there I think all the best remedies from hot bath to a massage or see a chiropractor.

Best of luck chaps.
The doctor I talked to seemed to think it was related to too much pressure on the scrotum. He essentially had me replace my current chair, as their was little cushion and take 2-3 days off from work and sitting in general. If you adjust your posture and such it has seemed to fix the issue.

Good luck.
My opinion -- as others have suggested, low back issues at L3, L4 contribute to the innervation of the of the scrotum and penis. That is one possibility. Number two, and even more likely is tightness or spasm of the psoas and illacus muscles. The femoral nerve and genito-femoral nerve can run through these muscle or be restricted by them. Sitting can contribute to their tighness as can cycling and running (psoas is a hip flexor. If spasm is bad enough you may even experience pain into a testicle. Having my lows back adjusted by a chiropractor and the psoas and illiacus loosened up by my doc who was Active Release Technique certified (soft tissue manipulation) has been successful for me each time this occurs. Pain in the low back on standing from seated position is classic for psoas tightness.
Only happens when I'm sitting, yes. It started yesterday and I was lifting stuff and moving stuff around and my lower back did get a little sore. I remember reading about this somewhere a while ago and thought nothing of it, so I Googled it when I started getting it and looks like it appears common from what I'm reading here. 19 years old. I saw someone mention that it could be from stress. Well, I have been stressing a bit because I had exams and more exams coming up.
I'm so thankful I found this. This has been going on for me for several days. The vibratig sensation is in the underside of the glans (glands). It doesn't hurt, but it is distracting as hell. I am 34 (35 next month) and a type 2 Diabetic. At first I thought it might be some sort of complication due to my Diabetes. After reading all these posts, however, I am convinced it is a lower back issue. I am 275 pounds (though I have dropped ofer 40 pounds since June), so that there puts pressure on the back. I normally don't have back pain. However, I have been spending more time the last few weeks sitting in a hard dining room chair at the computer for several hours at a time.

I am going to try the hot bath, and possibly the magnesium. Also, I am going to try to limit my computer time and also get a cushion or sit on a pillow while online. This buzzing is driving me crazy. I hope it goes away, soon.
Count me among the puzzled who have experienced this phenomenon. Mine is intermittent. At first, I thought it was caused by a bad desk chair (which I have actually used for over a year) or bad ergonomics. I noticed after a weekend of not sitting in the chair that it had gone away entirely. Back to work the next week, it came back. So I started working from the couch on a laptop instead (I work from home) and after 4 days it seemed to be gone completely. But then, last Sunday, I was sitting on hard chairs for most of the day at a restaurant and friends' places, and it returned. Been sitting on the couch again from Monday-Thursday and still haven't made it go away again.

I'm a moderately active cyclist (on average say 45 minutes 3 times a week) but that doesn't seem to affect it -- except that it disappears when I'm biking, or when I'm walking.

I have tried the hot bath and it helped for a brief period but isn't a long-term solution. I may have to see a chiropractor as the next step.
Wow, relieved to read all the comments. Thought I was crazy. For the past year I have felt on and off buzzing in my front pants pocket and pulled out my phone only to discover it was not vibrating. Now yesterday I felt my penis vibrating. It is constantly on for a second, off for a second.
I think it is lower back too. Been driving an older car and notice my legs are hurting too. I am very active and am going to chiropractor ASAP.
Hi. I believe you are right. I too am a woman(one of hundreds i now know to have this sensation). It is in my left groin area. Been bugging me for days now!
I am having back problems also and just been to see my osteopath today, so i feel it could well be linked.
Iam also going to see my doctor tomorrow and will ask for advice. will updateif anything of concequence.
mymarie
I have had the vibrating in the tip of my penis for the last 4-5 days and like so many others was unsure I would find anything out there about this. I am 35, 6ft, 254lbs, & married for 11 years(no std's). The vibrating only seems to happen after ejaculation thought. It will go on for an hour or 2 in short spurts then disappear. I do ejaculate at least once a day with or without the wife and have for years(it makes for a much happier day) without problems. I did have a vasectomy 1-1/2 years ago but have had no complications from that. Urination is a bit off. A tad bit weaker I would say. Not sure who I should go see for this one chiropractor or Urologist. But thinking I might wait(no ejaculating) for a couple more days then call a Urologist(due to weaker stream) if it doesnt go away.
So Glad I found these posts.  Before I got sick with the flu this month, I mentioned to my wife this strange unnerving sensation.  While I was sick this month, the feeling was gone, but came back today.  I too am 36. Had a lower back injury 6 years ago, twisted the wrong way.  I also am known to fall asleep with a laptop on my waste.  I have experienced many years of strange muscle twitching, so will try the magnesium.  I am in great health and shape otherwise.  I do like my coffee and beer, and where a cell phone on my hip.   My only nagging question would be...why have all of us just start experiencing this the last few years, obviously no medical records previously of these events. Could it be simply a laptop or cellphone problem???
Hi Everyone - I may have stumbled on a remedy. I experienced the same feelings that you describe here. Figuring it might be caused by inflammation of some gland or prostate, I took some naproxene, which is a prescription med. It has worked wonders so far, with 3 straight days symptom free. i did notice however that stressful situation could bring it back slightly. so, my advice, take naproxene 2x a day and avid stress
I'm so glad that other's share this problem as i do. I'm 43 years old 5'8 and 185 pounds in fairly good shape for a person who has performed construction work for 27 years  and when this started i told my wife that i thought my cell phone was causing the feeling until i placed it on my dash and still felt the vibrating. I just got really scared that it was cancer but after reading all these posts i must say it has to be the back and nerves. My L4 and L5 have been ruptered and i have pinched nerves in my neck i just can't understand why it has taken so long for the vibrating to start seeing my back has been hurt for years. Good luck to everyone with this and maybe we can all get back to normal
A year ago I had this problem. Vibration in the penis which lasted about two weeks. I had every blood test and every other test done. I even had a scope up my penis. That was not a good day. I told the urologist every symptom I had including back pain and numbness in my left thigh area. I also had noticed my flow of urine to be very slow. Finally, the urologist said he had no causes and if he had to say it was do to stress. The whole cell phone vibration feeling is interesting as well. I also will the vibration from time to time in my left pocket area and my cell phone will be on the counter. I thought I was going crazy.
Hi, I also feel the same problem as many people here are describing. I have it for almost a year now, when sometimes it goes away for a few months and then comes back and frustrates me for a few weeks. And I think I found out why it happens to me, so maybe it can be useful to some other people: I think for me the reason is light case of hemorrhoids.
I do sit a lot, and I've noticed that sometimes I have a small lump and light pain. It goes away after some time, but the penis vibrations accompany its appearance and sill continues some time after.
I think I have pressure in the pelvic and rectal area from all the sitting, and this is what causing the vibration, maybe it is somehow related to prostate as well.
I also noticed, that when I have this vibration, in certain position in which I sit or lay down the vibration power and frequency is changing.

What is more interesting for me, is that this first started to happen to me when I took a break from exercising in gym and changed my food habits, because I changed my living location. I've read that if you have symptoms of hemorrhoids you need to eat food reach with fibers, drink a lot of water and exercise. And this is exactly what I stopped doing before this vibration appeared. So I think it is connected and I am trying now to return back to what I did before. Don't think I can cure this problem, but maybe healthy way of life will keep this away.
Hope I helped some people here to locate their problem. Good luck to everyone and if you stopped having the vibration, please come to tell us what you did.  
The vibration is caused from damaged nerves in your lower back.  If you check, I'm sure all of you will find that you have an anterior or lateral titled pelvic.  You need to simply do some pelvic tilt exercises to rectify this problem.

Swiss Triathlete
What the hell is going on?  I just found this thread thinking "vibration/buzz in prostate would bring up bupkiss on a search.  Little did I know that this is a widespread thing.  I've just had a colonoscopy (sic) which turned out normal almost a week ago.  But in the last few days I've been having the vibration in the pants thing happening. No pain/pleasure...just a little buzz 2 seconds of buzzing followed by an interval of 3-4 seconds quiet. This is constant!  So what's the general consensus about this?  Is it lower back nerve damage?  Have we alien abductees and ET is calling us?
I am 55, have the same issue, have not figured it out yet, i was hoping my wife could feel it too, but dam! not so!
Same issue here.

Age: 28 yr old
Work: Standing 6 of 8 hours, sitting the other 2 hours
Lifestyle: Somewhat sedentary
Alcohol consumption: moderate (6 drinks every 2-3 days)
Smoker: no
Drugs: no
Rx: none
Cell phone: in pocket most of the day
How long vibrations last: today, about 10 hours...nearly nonstop (when I'm active I don't notice it)
This bout started: yesterday
Last bout: three days ago

Notes: I first noticed this problem about 5 years ago...it'd start for a few days, then go away for months...come back, go away for another year...  This is only the second time in about 6 months that I've had the issue.

My diet over the past few days:
Tuesday night: sandwich (spicy brown mustard, smoked turkey, cheddar cheese, bread) (no drinks except for powerade zero)
Wednesday morning: breakfast burrito (added tabasco to it.  potatoes, cheddar cheese, eggs, steak, bacon, mushrooms, onions, peppers), half-and-half (arnold palmer)
Wednesday night: spaghetti and bolognese (without the red wine) (5 beers)

Nothing was spicy except for the tabasco but even then..not much so.  I can't handle spicy food anymore for...other reasons.

I've recently had the same basic problem. Faint buzzing in the tip of my penis. On again off again for about 5 days. I haven't had it for 2 days now (thank God). Here is what it probably was: A couple of days ago, while urinating, I notice it was coming out in 2 streams, as if something was impeding the flow. I used my fingers and moved the tip around a little to try to shake it loose, and something came out that resembled a grain of tea (from a tea bag) or something like that (it was painless), about one eight of an inch long and very narrow and flexible. I did feel the buzzing on and off for about 6 hours after that, but then it went away for good. That was probable what caused it. I did start taking the Magnesium(250 mg) the day before and I didn't feel any buzzing for the first few hours, but then it came back. I did take the Magnesium again the next day after work, and never felt the buzzing again. That could've been it also. One other thing I did was cut out the B-Vitamin supplements I was taking. Between One-a-day's and Emergen-C, I was probably getting about 650% of the daily value of B6, which I heard can cause tingling in the extremities when taken in large doses. The B-Vitamins could have nothing to do with it though, so please do your own research on that. Hope this helps guys!
I'm 19 and I've been getting this sensation for the last week or so, and having read the comments I think for me it's exercise related, as in the past fortnight I've started going to the gym. Just wondering, where would you get this magnesium supplement? Would most chemists have it?
I started getting the buzzing/vibrating about 2 weeks ago. My back feels fine. I find that I am urinating much more frequently. Has anyone else experienced this?

I am making an appt. with a urologist first thing Monday. In reading about symptoms on the Net, this really needs to be checked out.
This happens to me once in a while. It is a type of faint Orgasm lasting for few seconds. It happens in Rows for few hours. It is not irritating. Somehow I enjoy it as it does not come much in my routine life
The initial post by -stillcurious- describes this perfectly. I have had the faint vibrating in my penis for three days now non stop. . The only thing that has changed in my life is my lifestyle. Major stress for the first time ever in my life.

This vibration does not affect my urinating or sexual functions. It's just a minor annoyance.

Some of the remedies I am going to try are:

1. Plenty of water or tea
2. Daily vitamin- overload on vitamin c
3. Positive thinking
4. Relax off of the coffee
5. Stretch
6. Hot bath

Please list some remedies that may have worked for anyone. .

Even i have been experiencing this buzzing, and since i really haven't found any solution to this, and a lot of speculative crap, here's help.

First of all, THIS IS NOT HERNIA, CANCER OR ANY OTHER STD WHATSOEVER. So relax.

What it really is?

Ever notice how sometimes you're extremely stressed and you lie down and night, your muscles give you a sudden jerk?
That's exactly what it is. The muscle area in and around your scrotum and penis is tensed, and needs to relax.
REMEDY:
1. Take a hot water bath just before sleeping every night.
2. Do NOT masturbate for a couple of days. Also, no other sexual activity.
3. No excersising, heavy lifting, brisk walking, jogging.
4. Massage the area where your scrotum ends and your hip line begins.
5. Switch to briefs for a few days, if you wear boxers.
6. Avoid extremely tight clothes.
7. No underwear at night.

Follow this, and you should be okay in 2 days.

If it persists, then you should go see a GP. But it most certainly isnt anything serious.
Saw my doctor yesterday about my problem which has been with me since the week after Xmas. I felt stupid telling him about my penis vibrating but I needed to find out what is going on. He said it might be caused by the type and style or brand of briefs that I am wearing. His theory was that my penis might be rubbing too much against the material and causing the sensation. I did change brands around that time. Hate to toss what I have but I will consider what he said. My thoughts were that a change in laundry soap might be the culprit. Have any of you guys changed brands of briefs or laundry soap ?
I've had the vibrating/spasms inside the head of my penis for about 6 days now. I still am unsure of what caused it. My week before this incident was stress filled with little lack of sleep (4 hours a night for a solid week). I've studied my personal case and here is what I've discovered.

Cranberry juice. I could feel my spasms/vibrating start to slow down, but very minimal before the cranberry juice. My girlfriend suggested 100% Cranberry Juice, and after flushing my system with it for two days, my symptoms have gone down considerably. I still get the spasms, but it happens about 2-7 times a day, rather than every 20 seconds (yes I have timed it).

I will continue this treatment of Cranberry Juice, plenty of rest, healthy eating, and foremost, positive thinking. I will report back later in my study of the slight annoying vibration.
I have experienced the same but beyond the worst  for over a year any loud form of vibration and sound vibrated my penis and causes it get inflamed constricting the urethra if it continues to be inflamed it would then inflame other parts of the genitals like my testicles and perinium Ouch!!!!! I've Ben doing plenty of research and think that it is a hyper active nerve that runs through the penis and branches out to the rest of the genitals .... It got do bad That couldn't watch tv (like if a car crashed.) I think the more u think about it the worst it gets .... HAD ALL TYPES OF MISS DIAGNOSIS MANY MEDS... But so far Lyrica has extremely help .... Many factors got me to my worst point  started with uerthritis which doctors couldn't understand I basically told them I need an anti inflammatory for my uerethra.... I also got hot in the back by a car door which ended up pinching some sort of pelvic nerve the affects the crematic muscle aggravating everything complete.... took forever to get an X-ray... finally got a muscle relaxed and streching my groin helps a lot... getting ready to try a rare puedendal nerve block because I think that's part of my first uerethra problem... then I have to get that other pinch nerve solved with I think is causing 80% of the vibration... its the nerve that runs from the tip of base of the pens down the right crotch and into the testicular cord....
My ex had a similar problem.  We tried a lot of different things.  He thought it was stress as well.  If someone cured their problem with cranberry juice, we're talking about a UTI.  Those are very easy to get rid of, but usually that hurt.  If juice doesn't work, I would suggest a strong dose of vitamins and some exercise.  If it doesn't improve in a week or so, talk to a doctor.  
To everyone experiencing this, It may be a sign of diabetes. Nerves will feel grounded that causes a vibrating sensation to the muscle. You may need to take Vitamin B complex. Lots of water and reduce sugar intake. It will help a lot and can stop the vibration. Hope this helps. Ask your doctor for the dosage.
I've been having the exact same feeling. To a tee. However I get it every time I cough. I don't mind it but It is very strange that it keeps doing it.
I believe I have traced this vibration down to diet, and specifically for me it is bananas (potassium). I found the frequency to hit me when I was eating two or more bananas a day; couple that with multivitamin and you get the picture. Well, again this is for me, i stopped the bananas and it stopped. I haven't had an incident since I started to watch my mineral intake. What you guys find?
I have not been sexually active for nearly two years and i've never experienced these vibrations before until a year ago. The more relaxed I am the stronger I feel it and the longer it last. There is no pain, burning, irritaion nor pleasure..just simple vibrations. I did notice it soon after I bought my first android phone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremitus

Fremitus is a palpable vibration on the human body.[1] In common medical usage, it usually refers to (tactile) vocal fremitus, although there are several other types.

Hepatic fremitus

Hepatic fremitus is a vibration felt over the patient's liver. It is thought to be caused by a severely inflamed and necrotic liver rubbing up against the peritoneum. The name 'Monash sign' has been suggested for this clinical sign, after the Monash Medical Centre in Melbourne, Australia.

This worked for me right away

I am currently a bit stressed and have be sitting in a wierd position on the couch (working with a laptop).
The "vibrating phone feeling in my pants" started 1 day ago. I read this forum and on others advice have tried doing about 5 minutes of streches aimed at my lower back at work. BINGIO, for the first time in 36 hous the buzzing has stopped.

All I would add is,
If the feeling keeps going, see a doctor
If you are peeing often as well, see a doctor
If you are concerned in any way, see a doctor

Dont be a bloke and hope it will go away. Take the sick day, see the doctor and enjoy the day off.
Had this exact phantom cel vibe for about a day.  It was/is freaking me out. Thanks guys so much for the stories - I cannot imagine the paranoia and myriad tests I would be considering right now if I didn't go online and see all of this.  

I'm guessing it's my distance running, combined with recent long bike rides (long for me) and also a groin pull.  Also did something crazy pull to my back (pain for only 1 second, but severe) in my car just by pivoting once.

I'll try the stretching, get back into yoga, try magnesium, and ease up on caffeine, stress, booze. Will report back. Thank you again!  This was all so freaky. I was afraid my balls were going to tell me to call Patty Hearst and to rob a Starbucks.
I've had this for 10+ years, appearing at random. I have the sensation in the penis root between the *** and the sack, to be blunt. Feels like bubbles passing through or vibrations or spasms. I sit on a chair a lot so I guessed it had to do with that.
This happened to me ten years ago for a few weeks then it went away. It just came back a month ago and has died down a little but still very faint at times.

I remember exactly what I was doing both times. I got a very strong erection, while sitting down at my desk, wearing tight pants. I remember being very hard and it feeling uncomfortable while sitting down. I was squirming in my chair a lot. Honestly, I was probably watching porn.

This is the common factor between both episodes. It's taking longer to go away this time. I'm assuming it's some kind of nerve damage or muscle pull of some sort. I feel it more when I tilt my head down and put my chin towards my chest. The feeling is at the top of my penis -- the part of the penis you can see when looking down -- not at the head or the base. Just a very faint sensation on the top part of the skin.

That's my two cents. I'm seeing a doctor in a couple of weeks. Hope this helps!
Also, I forgot to mention that I sit in a crummy office chair for hours and hours every day so that probably doesn't help. I'm a youthful 39 year old, physically active, martial arts practitioner and in very good shape.
I noticed this and it lasted for about a full week, Nothing to wirry about as this is happened due to vigarious masterbating (masturbating). do not masterbate for a week and have a hot bath in a bath tun not shower everyday and it should go within a week as mine did. mine happened due to masterbating (masturbating) quite often infact 4-5 times a day. so stop masterbating (masturbating) for about a week and have a hot bath and afyer the bath rub some vicks on your shaft of the penis and carry on with daily activities or relax. give it a week and it will go away.
This has happened to me a few times and in every case it was after a lot of sex with my girlfriend: I'm talking about intercourse and oral sex four times over a span of several hours. I think it's just the nerve(s) being overstimulated from all the friction. It usually goes away after a day or two.
Hi guys,
This blog has been going on since 29 july 2006. I think that it would be nice to hear from the original person(s) who started the blog to see if his tingling has stopped and whether he had any special treatment for it.

I think some research must go into finding exactly what causes it and what can be done about it. I am 53 years old and i have been having it for a number of years. To me it is just not funny anymore as i feel it constantly as if i have syphilis or an STD. i have no discharge and my urination is fine but the tingle is much stronger than before. I have had a back problem for a long time now and i have a normal life. I live alone and i do not have not had sex for more than one year now. I dont have any desire to have sex.

I would like to just start collecting some data about the problem from any one genuinely with this problem to start a reasearch project and see where it leads us. Please bare with me as some of the questions may not make any sense to you right now but when data is collected and analysed you may be surprised of the results. Some of the questions about sperm may be odd but believe me that it does happen and hormones such as testerone from sperm may play a big role on the health. The question about having been penetrated can lead to prostate damage due to penetration of penis or dildo due to its location below your intestine above your anus.

Maybe we can start as follows:-

1.Age........weight...............height.................
2.length of flacid penis............girth of flacid penis...............lenght of erect penis...........girth of erect penis...........
3.Do you have sex......how often..............is it only hetrosex.....do you have sex with guys.......do you have oral sex.........have you ever swallow sperm........ have you ever had anal sex...........has any man or dildo penetrated your anus in the past..............have you had any anal/bowel tests before.....  
4.any previous back problems........... any particular diet............any particular previous medical problems............
5.hoW much do you use prescription drugs.................
6.do you live close to any mobile phone towers................ do you often place your mobile close to your genitals.............. do you place your laptops close to your genitals.........
7. Do you seat around for long periods of time.........do you drive for long periods of time........
8. do you drink coffee........tea........do you smoke.......drink alcohol........any other addictions like chocolate, horlicks ect...........
9. Are you stressed........is your job labour intensive.........intelectual intensive..........how many children do you have.........have you been a very active sexual male (had sex very often in the past)..............do you masturbate....................how often.............let us know what products you use such as soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, and what you normally eat.... do you like fatty foods........do you drink enough water........do you exercise.........have you ever tried to change your penis size by any means......if yes how....................

Thanks for your replies and i do hope we can find something that may lead us to a cure......
good luck with it..
you killed a great resource  of info, you just had to go there with all the wierd info and what not thnx DUDE
I'm experiencing the same simular thing at the moment. Started as a light vibrating right at the glans (glands) tip of my penis. Been going on from time to time. Most of the day today cramping along the top, mid shaft. Sort of an agrivation. Not sure if it's connected with dehydration, or mineral deficiency.
I'm experiencing cramps mid-shaft now.  Dehydration? Mineral deficiency?
I had this start happening one day after racking the leaves.  I tried a bunch of things listed here in this thread that didn't work for me. I started out trying:

Ibuprofen 1000mg for 2 days every 6 hours
Tylenol for 1 day
Heat on the back
Stretching my lower back/upper back
laying on the ground and flattening my spine out

After all this I ended up going to my doctor, he couldn't find anything wrong.   I then went to a Chiropractor who found my lower right hip was tight/stiff.  He tried to loosen up my lower right back and just couldn't.  My back was completely stiff/out of alignment and as such wouldn't loosen or move.  He then recommended I put a cold pack on my lower back focused on the right side where the upper hip bone was.  I did this by doing 20 mins on, 10 mins off for 4 hours. The vibrating/buzz went away after that.  I went to bed and woke up with the buzzing significantly less than it had been previously that next morning.  Did the cold packs again and after 2 more hours I was buzz free.

Hope this helps some folks having this issue.
Hi, I've been having some burning sensation in my penis over the last 3 weeks; also, painful tingling sensation in my testicles on and off; then at night, I can't sleep because my whole body get itchy; now, I have burning dull pains in some part of my chest, and my throat feels slightly sore. I suspected an sti so for a start, I had my partner go have a test for a range of them (chlamydia, syphilis, gonorrhea, and HIV) and the test result came as negative for all of them. She has no symptoms at all, and I've been with her for the last 5 months, prior to which she hasn't had had sex with anybody. What do my symptoms mean then?. Any help? Getting worried!
I HAVE HAD THE SAME BUZZING SENSATION, JUST LIKE WHAT IS DESCRIBED BY 'STILLCURIOUS' IN THE ORIGINAL 2006 POST.  ONCE I FOUND OUT FROM THE POSTS THAT IT MIGHT BE RELATED TO PUDENDAL NERVE, I WENT TO MY OSTEOPATH, AND AFTER 2-3 TREATMENTS, THE BUZZING IS GONE.  MY MISALIGNMENT WAS IRRITATING THE NERVE IN MY LOWER BACK/SACCRUM AREA.  I WAS REALLY WORRIED IN THE BEGINNING, AND I HAVE NOW FOUND RELIEF, SO I WANTED TO SHARE THIS WITH EVERYONE.  CHECK OUT AN OSTEOPATH OR OSTEOPATHIC TREATMENT
I also am experieancing the exact condition i am replying on 12-24-2011
Whats up with this ?  Someone please
For the guys that have the annoying “on again" and “off again" vibration in the penis... I too had the problem and found the solution thus stopping it…

I was just like the rest of you that are having these symptoms and I tried to explained this crazy phenomenon to my wife that my penis would sometime without warning start tingling and feeling just like a cell phone vibrating..  ...Sometime I thought I was really getting a call and reached for my phone clipped on my pocket only to find out that it was the annoying sensation again…

I Googled it and I researched it and found that I was not alone.. Others with the same complaint were chatting online about it and getting nowhere….Sometime I would get brave enough and ask one of my friends if they have ever heard of it just hoping that perhaps I could find someone like me…. They all laughed and said “ if only they could be so lucky to have a vibrating penis” … I guess that ole adage about “be careful what you wish for” has merit ……

I went to my doctor but he never heard of such a thing and referred me to a nerve doctor but not until he scared me half to death telling me that he thought this vibration might be an aneurism (aneurysm) which I was also checked for and nothing found…The nerve doctor was just as mystified as my family doctor..

By now, if you read this far your probably wondering just what it is that causes this vibrating penis phenomenon …well, the cure is simple ..All you have to do is stop ingesting so many of the energy drinks such the Monster drinks and especially the Red Bull...the vibration will then go away it’s is just that simple...  My drink of choice was the Red Bull… When I stopped drinking them every day the symptoms stopped. When I thought I was in the clear and started downing them again, the symptoms returned…  Duh?

BTW…The reason there isn’t a doctor out there that can tell you exactly what it is because this  penis phenomenon has only popped it's ugly head up (no pun intended) in just the last couple of years and give rise to the increasing number of men complaining  which is due mainly to the popularity of the energy drinks taken off and whatever is in them that makes you go turbo and causes your penis to vibrate off the hook.. (pun intended)  

So, the next time you have the vibration, ask your self, when was the last time you sucked down a couple of Red Bulls or a simular liquid stimuli...

Hope this helps
BH / Las Vegas

Hey im 18 and im feeling same thing its on my left leg its a vibration and it doent bug me to much it doesnt hurt and its just annoying im glad im not the only one who has these symtoms (symptoms) it just started today randomly ... No pus nothen weird and than it stops too this morning had it and tonight it just again but all day it was fine ... Im seeing dr. Asap too at first i was scarred crapless but after seeing thing i know im not the only one who has it so its sort of a relief  
Thank god im not the only one who feels it im 18 its just a weird pulsing ive recentally been learning about stds in health and this just didnt seem to match up theres no pus no liquid its not any harder to use the restroom at least for me it only goes on my left side of my leg and as you said it feels annoying when your trying to sleep im seeing my dr. Asap but thanks at first i thought it could have been life threatning even if it is i know im not the only one thats been having the same issue  
the solution proposed worked well in my case, I stopped drinking many coffees and the vibration stopped

Simon
Hey Folks, I am 25, male, and healthy - no pre-existing conditions or medications.  I exercise fairly regularly but nothing too strenuous, and I try pretty hard to eat right.  Contrary to what you may think after reading the following, I am not an alcoholic.

I have a similar issue as what everyone is describing here, but I wouldn't call it "vibrating" - it's more like "fluttering" or maybe "spasming" or "quivering," and it seems to be farther upriver on my urethra, almost inside me.  It almost tickles.  This sensation started the morning after a particularly virulent night of drinking.  I sheepishly admit I spent most of that night lying face-down on my living room floor.  The fluttering sensation began about halfway through the next day and has continued for two days straight.  It is a constant fluttering - its severity seems to come and go depending on how much I am paying attention, and whether I have been sitting in the same position for awhile.

I have rehydrated very well and drank a gallon of cranberry juice thinking maybe it was a UTI - no luck thus far.  I'm interested to know if the "fluttering" sensation rings a bell with anyone - this is the closest I have come to finding the right symptoms, but my case is definitely less "vibration" than "quivering" or "fluttering."

Hi all fellow buzzers. I had similar symptoms that many of you have already described here. I remember myself often checking my cellphone only to realize that somebody is trying to call to my penis instead of my phone :p anyway I am now cured and here is my story:

I think everything started last monday when i was lifting a boat (it was quite heavy) out from the water and it seems that i hurt my back without even noticing it myself.

Monday and tuesday went fine until tuesday evening I started feeling strange this strange buzz thingy in my little fellow. Didnt really know what it was about so I went to internet and found this forum. I tried sauna and stretching etc magic tricks without much results. Had no choice but to stand steady buzzes until friday when I went to my osteopath. He said that i have a "facet lock" in my very low back, (or whats it called anyway) at L4 or L5 dont really remember which one was it.. http://universe-review.ca/I10-13-spinal.jpg I didnt even notice that there was something wrong until he started massaging. Anyway he opened the lock from my lower back and few more from upper back :D sounded like *crack!*

Saturday i felt that something had happened because the buzzing has increased quite alot, it felt much stronger than before. I thought that it was because of the osteopath and decided not to worry, instead i relaxed and drank like 10 beers :p

When i woke up yesterday (sunday) i felt that something was missing, luckily it was not the whole penis that was missing, but instead there was no buzzing at all. I waited it to start for a while but.. nothing. Only some faint feelings left but 99% of all the buzzes are gone, this has gone for 2 days now and hope it lasts :)

Here is my 17 cents, and sorry for my crappy english, hope you can make some sense of it :b
Same symptoms.  Been going on since Sept.  The intensity seemed to peak in late October, such that the buzzing and related anxiety that maybe I WAS peeing myself had me freaked out.  I never was incontinent, but man did it seem like something was flowing.  Went to the GP. Did the STDs test and standard urine analysis.  Nothing there.  Referred to Urologist.   Ultra sound... nada.  Flow/stream test... slightly less than a guy my age should have (41).  Did the cystoscopy today (ouch!).  No blockages.  Waiting on the results re cells and possible bladder cancer (not likely).  Meanwhile, I notice less buzzing if I am drinking less alcohol.  Constipation seems directly linked, too.  I am starting to think diet/constipation sets this off (and aggravated by alcohol...maybe caffeine) and somehow plays into relationships between anal sphincter, bladder, and the pudendal nerve.  Finally, doc asked me about my PTSD...said maybe anxiety is also aggravating this linked up system, fear of loss of control, etc.

Hope some oft his helps.
I had found this forum over a year ago and had the same symptoms.  slight vibrations - cell phone like etc.  Then I unexpectedly and very painfully passed a kidney stone.   The vibrations stopped completely.

Prior to that I had been checked for kidney stones and nothing was found.  There were no symptoms from any blood or urine tests.  So if it persists it might be a good idea to see a urologist and have an ultrasound done.  Good luck all.  
Was just talking to my wife regarding a buzzing in my penis. (Imagine That) Anyway I figured I'd look it up on the internet and I ran into this forum. Would really love some help..It's been going on for a few months. First I just wrote it off as gas or something like that, but now I'm a little concerned. Any direction would be helpful
Like most everyone else here, I thought I was crazy or confused, but after reading these posts, was pretty well convinced I have prostititis. A visit to my doctor more or less confirmed the suspicion, and I've been on Cipro for a week. The symptoms disappeared within a couple of days, and -- knock wood -- they haven't returned.

My advice is to see your doctor and get a legit diagnosis.
I have the same issue and happen to be a physician.  Has been going on for a about 4 weeks.  I could not think of anything medically that made sense to explain this and was thinking I was crazy until I found this site and have now had time to think more about it/research the problem.  I think I have figured out what is going on at least for myself and suspect it may be the same problem with many on the site.  I wanted to write this so people are aware of the possibility of the below entity and what i think is going on but I also want to caution that I could be wrong.  Also, I am curious if many of the people on here have the following patterns to their buzzing/vibration sensation:
1- worse late in the day/night
2- better in the morning
3- worse when sitting down
4- better when sitting on the toliet

If so, I think what MANY of us (probably not all and some may have other issues) might have is a variant of "pudendal neuralgia".  Pudendal neuralgia is USUALLY a pain syndrome which is secondary to inflammation/impingement of the pudendal nerve which innervates the rectum, penis, etc...Similar to "carpal tunnel syndrome" which occurs in the wrist, the pudendal nerve can become compromised and then cause pain or other symptoms that would involve these organs.  I think that instead of pain, we are feeling a vibratory sensation - it is probably just a variation of the pain syndrome.  This would explain a few things such as why many on this blog said they felt better with sitting on  a cushion (takes pressure off the nerve).  It would also explain why women have reported the same complaints on this blog and others (ie., they obviously have no prostate to cause this so has to be something else).  On a similar note, this also explains why young men were complaining as well since would be unlikely for an 18 year old to have prostate problem.  Taking a bath would remove all pressure from the nerve and I see a few report that helped them - helped me as well.  So, putting all of this together, I think this is what is going on.  The bad news is that I am not sure that there is a miracle cure to all of this and that is what I am exploring now - I am starting out with conservative measures such as doing everything I can to keep pressure off the nerve (avoiding sitting or at least using a cushion, no bicycling, etc...).  I think the first step would be to seek medical help both to rule other causes out and to try to get some help/guidance.  I found a ton of stuff on the internet about pudendal neuralgia and might be worth a look to see if your symptoms sound similar.  My guess is that many physicians will not have heard of this so if you end up with a normal exam and a physician who has no idea, might be worth to bring up this possibility or even consider tracking down a physician who has expertise in this area (some are listed on these websites about pudendal neuralgia).  Finally, I MAY BE WRONG ABOUT ALL OF THIS BUT THIS IS WHAT I THINK so please take this only as an opinion of someone with the same condition desperately trying to figure out what is going on - I also suspect that not everyone here has the exact same problem so that is why I think it is best that everyone get it checked out and see if you can find a physician who can help.  On a personal level, I am very frustrated that this has been essentially going on for a month now with no relief.  I am VERY CURIOUS to hear from people who posted previously and see if they are doing better or worse?
For at least a month I have had this same syndrome described by many or most of the guys on this site. I googled "vibration in penis" and it lead to this site, today 27 February 2012. I wasn't even sure it was my penis, it was faint, noticeable, but faint. I kept thinking it was my cell phone as many others have. I carry my cell phone in my coat pocket, not (usually) my pants pocket. The vibration started, what, maybe a month ago, weeks? I, of course, did not take it seriously at first. The vibration does not hurt, but I got to thinking it must be in the vein or artery (which ever), a "flow" perturbation. The vibration seems to go away when I stand up, but that might not always be the case. I do a lot of sitting at an office in front of a computer. I have a very regular routine (over 16 years now) of getting up early, getting to the gym ("opening" it up so to speak), using the stationary bike (always) and doing a variety of other workouts. I've had back problems, but not lately and part of my workout is designed to deal with back problems (strengthening stomach muscles, etc.) The vibration has stopped since I started writing this, but it will probably come back, in rhythm. I'm 59 1/2 years old. I don't consider this serious, but annoying. This thread of messages is long. I pretty much read the first years (2006-08), scanned the middle years and read the last couple of messages. Amazing. If anyone in the past reads this, did you find out what your problem was? If anyone in the future can post a reasonable explanation, please consider responding. I'm responding to the physician's post of 22 Feb 2012 and agree with him that not all the posts may be the same but the probability of such similar descriptions may mean many of us have the same condition. My wife tells me she has a similar feeling in her ankle. She's never confided in me with that information before, not until I told her about this site and my condition. She said it sounds very similar to what she feels in her ankle. Hmm.
Guys! The buzzing is actually just a tired muscle. Just keep things relaxed, and don't be rough in anything and you will feel much better. Excessive stimulation can cause you to be overly excited, thus making you aggressive, making your muscles tired. Keep things relaxed at all times, and do normal daily chores.
So I thought I was trippin, my penis could not be vibrating?  But lo and behold all you guys confirmed my issue.  I have been with one woman for over five years and when I was sleeping with many women this **** was not happening.  I am now 41 years old and this sensation has been occurring for several weeks now and I am glad I looked up this forum. I have a slightly bulging disc which is from arthritis in my lower back and I work out regularly and love to lift weights. I drink maybe two beers a night but not excessively but do not like baths, but I will be taking them more often and maybe get a heating pad. I don't have health insurance at the moment so until I get it back I will have to try these methods and opefully they work.  Thanks again.  
Hey, just wondering, what is the cause and method that you are referring to?
3/10/12-Still curious also. Just started having this problem and was wondering if you have found out anything.
Too many people are having this problem, tell me something, do you guys exercise or do weight lifting often? Because I only started getting this problem when I stopped exercising for the past 6 months.
Hello again.  

Checking back in.  Again, I am a physician who was confused about what the heck this all was.  I have learned much since my last post and figured out what was wrong with me.  As I mentioned last time, I think there are probably more than one diagnoses involved but here is my story and here is what I think the "differential diagnosis" is and what may or may not help.  Bottom line, get checked out ASAP as this can represent nerve impingement or another problem which can worsen over time if not corrected.  On the flip side, given the rarity of the problems/complaints, your physician may not immediately figure out what your problem is and that is why I am going to expand a bit further on what I found out for myself and what you should do if you are severe and not getting answers. When I last posted, I thought that I was suffering from pudendal nerve entrapment but it appears that I was predominately having a "Piriformis muscle syndrome" with some possible involvement of the pudendal nerve.  While it appears that there is a range of how bad people on this board were feeling, I was in really bad shape on my last post with a vibration sensation deep in my buttox that was quite severe and was present every waking hour of the day.  The vibration was much worse with sitting and although at first I could sleep through the night, it began to wake me up.  I also felt some mild vibrations in my left buttox/thigh area.  I was lucky in that I was able to get an MRI-neurography of the pelvis (newer technology) and it showed that my sciatic nerve was inflamed and likely being pinched by the Piriformis muscle at the level of the sciatic notch.  This is all consistent with "Piriformis Muscle Syndrome" which is the following.  There is a narrow hole in the pelvis bone through which the Sciatic nerve and the pudendal nerve go through along with the Piriformis muscle.  If the muscle becomes tight for some reason (excessive jogging, poor posture, excessive sitting possibly, anatomical reasons, and more), then the muscle may pinch the nerve.  A pinched nerve can feel like a "vibration" and thus this is what I was feeling.  While not 100% clear, I think that I also had some involvement of my pudendal nerve which would be responsible for more of the perianal and vibrations in the penis.  Piriformis syndrome, however, is just one possibility.  Another possibility is to have infammation to the pudendal nerve alone or in combination.  I originally thought I had just the pudendal nerve but now I realize otherwise.  Anyhow, the classic cause of Pudendal nerve compression would be excessive bicycle riding, excessive sitting, anatomical.  The pudendal nerve goes to the penis/clitoris/rectum so "vibrations" or similar sensations in that area might be the pudendal nerve.  I guess it is possible to have impingement of the lumbo-sacral tree which is another bundle of nerves in the buttox area.  Another possibility, I guess, would be to have something higher up like the spine and impingement on nerves in that area.  So, I think nerve impingement would be very high on the differential diagnosis with Pudendal nerve, Piriformis syndrome (sciatic +/- pudendal involement), lumbo-sacral, possibly spinal being possible.  Most physicians will be very aware of the SPINE but not necessarily of pudendal or Piriformis and this is where you may lose the capacity to get a diagnosis from your physician.  In addition to nerve, I think that prostatitis and similar diagnoses can cause some of these symptoms so that is another big one to consider and some of this blog have considered and been diagnosed with that.  On the flip side, I think a few people (including myself) might initially get diagnosed with prostatitis incorrectly but turn out to have a nerve issue.  So, what to do about all of this.  Interestingly, a lot of the remedies on this post are consistent with things that can be done.  I am only starting to improve VERY SLOWLY and not completely fixed yet so to be continued but this is what I would advise:
1) Again, first seek individual physician diagnosis and help if possible
2) IF you have a Piriformis syndrome, you need to stop doing things that pinch the nerve (avoid sitting, jogging, etc...) and begin physical therapy to stretch the muscle.  Other options include steroid injection into the muscle.  If you are diagnosed with this or concerned this is you, can search the internet and will find a ton of stuff
3) If you have pudendal nerve, again, stop inciting activity (bicycle riding, excessive sitting (ie., avoid or get a cushion as suggested above).  Again, search internet for pudendal nerve and learn more
4) LS spine issues -  I tend to think that LS spine issue would be more likely to present with pain (at least that is what I see where I practice) but given what I have learned I guess this could happen with vibrations too.  To make this diagnosis, need to be with your physician - would rule out lower nerve stuff first with vibratory complaints in the buttox area
5) Prostatitis - +/- anbx, anti-inflammatories, sitting on cushion.  urologist is the specialist who can help here. Be careful of misdiagnosis particularly if you do not have an infection and if therapy not working
6) a couple other things out there as well depending on your total picture

Again, just my 2 cents.  I have learned a lot out of necessity to help myself and now realize a whole new set of diagnoses that I can bring back to help some of my patients as well.  Bottom line, however, is that while some people have mild complaints and not a big deal, others can be severe (like mine).  I waited 6 weeks before seeking help and I think I waited too long and lead to some damage to the nerve.  Anyhow, I am doing better with some stretches for the Piriformis muscle and better posture but the road is long and I am not fixed yet.

Hope this can help someone - good luck

This phenomenon just started happening to me a day ago. When it first started, I was sitting at my computer and kept looking down at my crotch and thinking "WTF?". I stood up and walked around, thinking it must be some circulation thing. The feeling is exactly as everyone else has described. A faint buzzing/vibrating in the upper half of my penis. Another way to describe it could be the flow of urine, but only in the top half of the penis. Yet another way I would describe it, is the same kind of feeling you have in your chest when your breathing is raspy from congestion, except in your penis! The sensation is rhythmic, at first I thought it was actually in time with my breathing, but holding my breath proved it is independent. I have actually timed it and usually the sensations are 5-7 seconds apart, with the sensation itself lasting from 1-2 seconds. It is not painful or pleasurable, just annoying and distracting if you are sitting quietly. I have also noticed it while driving.

Interestingly enough. I went to the gym tonight, and I noticed that while sitting in the steam room, the sensation went away. Afterwards I went swimming and didn't notice it because of the activity. When I was showering a while later I noticed it had come back. So perhaps somehow the heat of the sauna made it stop? The next time I go to the gym I will definitely take note if it stops again.
There is a very simple stretch that will fix this - Squat like an Asian. Plant both feet flat about shoulder width and squat down putting your shoulders between your knees and pushing out on your knees, get your butt as close to the floor as you can. It helps to hold on to a table while you squat. It takes less than 30 seconds. I got this stretch from my UPS guy for lower back tension and found after reading this post yesterday that it works for this too. I have had the vibration before and was dealing with it all week - until I did this stretch. I had the vibration in the tip of my penis and am convinced it is tightness in the lower back causing pressure on this area and nerves associated with it. UPS guy said we spend so much time sitting it forces our hips together and this forces them back out - TRY IT!!!
it worked for me.
I hope you get this and it helps. I have had this numerous times in the past and was concerned this time after having Prostatitus that it was something BAD. Butt it seems this is a miracle for me - it has stopped completely. After reading all day yesterday I looked at all the symptoms and found a commonality of lower back issues for the vibration in the tip. I cannot say the same for other locations but this seems to be caused by pressure to the nerve. This is my post to see if this works for others.
it worked for me.
Its coming from the parasympathetic nervous system and out of the Sacral Plexus at the S2-S4 levels. The nerves from here form the Pelvic Splanchnic Nerves and the Prostatic Complex. Both of these nerve Plexus's are integral in sexual function, penile sensation, urination and interact with the sympathetic nervous system in order to link anatomical actions with conscious thought and physical stimulus.

Compression, irritation or inflammation of any sacral nerves or nerve roots between S2-S4 can cause this and will often be felt prior to urination as the two sides of the nervous system are unsure what the other is saying.
It's most common in men who suffer from minor low back pain or Sciatica (irritation or compression of nerve roots that supply the Sciatic nerve) where the aetiology is below the S2 level.

Its best to get checked out ASAP on MRI just in case the compression or irritation is caused by something more serious like an abnormal bone growth, cystic lesion or displacement of the sacrum. Things like this can quickly become more serious and produce other symptoms due to the proximity of the other nerves in the area that control urination, defecation and sexual function. Slow encroachment upon nerves, especially close to a plexus or ganglion, can go largely unnoticed due to the bodies remarkable ability to adapt to slow encroaching insult but this situation can change dramatically with only a minor additional and sudden insult resulting in a myriad of other symptoms that may seem entirely unrelated at first.

Hope this helps.
Well, I have read most of the posts on here and it seems that these symptons are happening to 25 and up... Though I am currently 19 years old I have been having this problem since I was 17. I just figured it was a spasm and nothing more so I decided to ignore it. I am currently at school o.o go figure lol. While I was just on the computer doing work it happened and stopped. So i figured to loook up stuff about it. I think I am going to keep following this post so ask me any questions and I will give the best answers possible.
Back with an update...
buzzing came back but I have had success with deep tissue massage from a chiropractor that is certified for deep tissue massage.  Buzzing is gone now... keep stretching, do yoga, all this helps.
i actually enjoyed the buzzing sensation at the tip of my penis.  I think it is from it having too much activity.  i only get the sensation after very long continuous excitement period.  I had sex all night then again at noon the next day.  The sensation started right after the noon session.  So as long as it is not something serious.. i am going to enjoy it....
I do a few yoga cat position back stretches, I stand up, and buzzing stops. I sit down and buzzing starts again. I have had back issues in my life and lately have been sitting in poor posture position. Sitting and or back related would by my personal view. Interesting what was said about magnesium. Stretch, sit straight and don't think about it too much or your going to go mad.
My husband complains about his nuts hurting when the laptop is on his lap. Tingling etc like many of the above have mentioned. However I believe that this may be caused by his vasectomy and the staples they put in.  Is it magnetic??? Could this be what is happening?
go see an osteopath or something like that, I had this, it was so annoying this humming buzz feeling, ashame it was pleasurable.It was something in my pelvic bones and lower spine that was out of alignment,after 2 treatments it was gone for about 1 yr then in 1 treatment it stopped, havent felt it in over a year now
Osteopaths have many men and women come in embarrassed about this weird sensation, its basically like a twitching eye
I agree with your masterbation (masturbation) comment for obvious reasons. Enough strain or pressure on anything should cause such a sensation. Much like the feeling of a limb falling asleep. Therefore it must also be related to the blood flow in that region and vessels maybe constrictingI. I think I'll try to apply a brief period with an ice pack to see if that causes it to decrease or increase. I notice holding my penis in my hand with slight pressure, enough to feel the pulse in it, causes it to stop, even for a few minutes. Then again, mine is still a new feeling I recently notice, so maybe I'm grasping at straws, no pun intended. If this doesn't work I'll look into pressure points and accupreasure or someting related to other areas of my body. I know my job keeps me on my feet allot.
Yes I do have that urination problem too. Although I have been checked for my PSA blood count (prostate) and it was elevated at 5.2 and I am a fifty five year old. So if you are having trouble or getting up in the night for wee at silly times then get the Blood test for PSA. Unfortunately it isn't linked to the cell phone sensations I believe but like all of us here we can't find out what it is but it's got to be bladder/muscle related....trapping a nerve maybe or just old age setting in?
OK...is weird but true I am at the Job reading about this and also looking all kind of references... This is something I don't get does anyone actually know what is causing the vibrations??? or should this Buzzing be one of those Super-Califragistic rare sydromes...Men has the "VPS" Vibrating penis syndrome while women suffers "PGAD" Persistent genital arousal disorder...

So well...does anyone knows???
Remember my clock is tickling!!!
my brother in law did a bit of research and found a reliable resource that suggested is is always most likely a sacrum injury of some sort. Kinda weird because i have had this buzzing for 2 weeks and once I started doing sacrum stretches, sitting making sure I have lumbar support and not doing squalts to heavy it slowly stopped. It used to be 3 times a day then down to only during and erection down to maybe for a second here and there. I am now looking at all my daily activities that could strain my lower back or sacrum and the more I am easy with it the better I get. I think  the whole infection idea is not likely at all. Oh and a hot bath or shower works well too. good luck to everyone suffering from this.
Viewing 1-200 comments: