loss of circulation in finger
i sometimes lose circulation in my left index finger from the middle knuckle to the tip. when this happens my finger turns white and goes numb. but only from the middle to the tip! i have to keep twisting and rubbing it to get it to go back to normal and this usually takes 5 to 10 minutes. it seems to be getting more frequent. i have asked my doctor and he seems to be not too concerned but i am. i had a wrist fusion about 7 years ago. what does this seem to be and have you ever heard of this before? thank you for your time.
I had some numbness in my ring finger and pinky finger on my left hand. And still do occasionally. Not so much as for it to turn white though. I also have some problems with my pinky toe on my left foot going numb. It feels like a string around it and then it just goes away! Weird Huh!?!? I went to a well known hand surgeon in my area and he pressed right on the nerve in my left elbow and it made my fingers numb immediately. It was weird. He said it is because I work with my arms bent all the time. Which I do. He said I should try to straighten my arm whenever I can to improve the circulation. Do you work with your hands a lot? I also have tightening in my hands where the thumb "hooks" to your hand he said again that it is from doing repetive motion with my hands all day. In my index finger on my left hand I have a knot where the finger attaches to my hand. The doctor said this is a very tight tendon that can come and go. Maybe that is all yours is and it is swelling and cutting off the circulation causing it to go numb. I have a friend who had wrist surgery I think she had that fusion. It was recent though. Has your surgery been long ago? I will ask her tomorrow if she has had any problems like yours. Or if her doctor said this could be a side affect. Maybe you should call your doctor who preformed your surgery and just ask if this could be a side affect. Good-luck!
I had a friend that had a pinched nerve in his elbow & it was cutting the circulation off to his fingers.. he had to wear a brace when he went to sleep &  now everything seems to be fine.
Hi Rebate,

Does it happen mostly when you are cold or your hand has been in the freezer to get something? It sounds like it could be Raynauds syndrome. This is where the artery goes into spasm and shuts off the blood supply for a bit. Rubbing the digit usually does the trick after a few minutes. If that is the case, there is nothing to be done for it except try to keep your hands warm. It can also affect your feet (usually the underside and toes) in the same way as your fingers. It is not life threatening or anything so don't worry.
Hi All, I also have that problem with my right hand, only on the middle finger, also from the middle joint to the tip.  It
only lasts for maybe 5 minutes or so.  I recently got a job ( in
April) where I work on the computer for 8 or so hours per day. Do you think that could be a contributing factor?? Any help appreciated..Thanks
It sounds like you all have had Raynaud's syndrome. I had a tinge of it last night when a couple of fingers went white and lost feeling from the middle knuckle to the tip. When I got home I ran them under lookwarm water and then the white part turned blue like a bruise and then slowly turned normal finger color. (Note: I did not, of course, use hot water or any water temp that could have caused scalding or blistering like they say about when you almost get frostbite, which I did not almost get). It looks like I am getting it because I lean on my elbows when I work on my computer, which I do a lot. I guess if you do anything a lot you really need to make sure you are not putting undue stress on your system, or change configurations often to avoid stressing the same part.
I agree with the Reynaud's Syndrome possibility.  Of course, get a doctor to check it out and agree, but I think it's safe to say that's what it is.  Reynaud's is usually not associated with any other conditions, but sometimes is associated with other diseases, like Lupus.  So you definitely want to get as many tests performed as possible.

Morgannon
This just happened to be tonight at the grocery store. Just EXACTLY as you said. I also came home & did what you did.  It really freaked me out. Thank you all for your comments.  They have made me feel better.  :)
ET
I have started a new job and I thought it was nerves from when I had to walk across the office where all the people were sitting so i have tried not to squeeze my hands but i still keep getting numbness in my right hand in the index and 4th finger, both go white and it sometimes hurts when i put it near warm things. I might invest in some gloves and see if that helps.

Hannah.
A related discussion, finger ciruculation was started.
addict3 commented on READY
Apr 29
drifter0213 commented on advanced niTD
Apr 28
Theobaldm1989 commented on advanced niTD
Apr 28
Exercise Tracker
Exercise is part of a healthy lifestyle