Men's Health Community
shrinking testicle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

shrinking testicle

I've been experiencing some moderate pain in my right testicle.  This has been on going for about 3 years.  I've mentioned it to my doctor several times and he brushes it off as I'm getting older and it's natural with age.  I'm 54 years old and in excellent health.  In the past 3 years my right testicle has been shrinking.  It's now about half it's normal size.  Should I be concerned or is this normal with age?
is your doctor a Urologist? I suggest seeing a Urologist! if your doctor is a Urologist then get a second opinion
   I also feel you should be concerned, it may be due to reduced blood flow to the right testes. As advised, take it up with a helpful urologist.
Solace

Pain in the testicle(s) should always be investigated. Reasons for a shrinking of a testicle can be due to many different causes.

In 1999 I had a vasectomy, a day after my scrotum swelled to the size of an orange. Went to a locum doctor who dismissed it as swelling from the surgery. I went bag to the locum sinse it now was the size of a grapefruit. This time she sent me back to the surgeon. He immediately performed emergency surgery to remove a hematoma (blood clot). Spent next five days in hospital. Over the duration of a year a small area in the scrotal incision never closed. Consulted with my urologist, and was told that there was nothing to worry about.
A week later and up in local hospital with a scrotum the size of a grapefruit again. After about 4 days, the scrotum splits open and I'm transferred to the urologist in the city. On my birthday, had emergency surgery to remove necrotic staph infected left testicle.

2003 consult with a different urologist in regards to ED. Random testosterone levels indicate below normal testosterone production and shrinkage of right testicle. I was prescribed monthly, 1ml. testosterone injections.

In 2006 came down with right inguinal incarcerated hernia and was close to loosing remaining testicle. Prior to surgery was told of the possibility of loosing the right testicle. I did not conscent and after supervision of a urologist, testicle was saved during the hernia repair.

2009 came down with an abscess on the right inguinal area and was once more concerned about the loss of the right testicle. After a several day testing had abscess drained successfully.

There has to be a reason for the pain that you experience and shrinking of the testicle(s) is not mormal for any age. There has to be a reason for it. In my case the right has shrunk as the result of numerous infections. I'm a male with a neurogenic bladder and have had numerous kidney, bladder, epididymis and testicular infections.
Do not let your doctor dismiss this as nothing, you know your own body and there has to be a reason for the pain. I myself live with daily pain due to my neurological condition. I now know the reasons.
I just very recently spent another week in the local hospital with an intestinal infection and blockage. The specialist brushed it off as constipation. I originally came down with diarhea (diarrhea) and quite some blood in the stool. A locum doctor prescribed Cipro and sent me back home. Diarhea (diarrhea) change to not being able to go for more than five days. Our family doctor admitted me and I spent the following week in hospital. The specialist told the family doctor to attempt enemas and oral laxatives. Our family doctor is not pleased with the results and told me that there seems to be a section of the bowel that did not clear, it remained obstructed. I can feel the food stay there and than very slowly pass through. Our family doctor does not dismiss this as constipation is is scheduling me for a colonoscopy.

Find a doctor who will take things seriously.

All the best.

Ron