Men's Health Community
stomach lump

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

stomach lump

Any clues? I have a lump on my stomach, 3" down from my right bottom rib, and about 2" over to the right from the center(solar plexus)

It hurts when prodded, and feels like a section of a finger under my skin.

Hernia-I lift very heavy weight still(weight trainer) no pain at all.

Tumor-no idea at all.

Fat lump-then why does it hurt?

I urinate a lot, though I am also an avid tea drinker.

Sometimes it seems to hurt a little when I dont drink enough, or indeed dont eat. Also sometimes if I eat a lot....though both this and the above are occasional, and arent typical case scenario.

Many thanks indeed.
HELP!!!
Nordical;

Unfortunately, you can't really tell anything about a lump like this from just palpating it.  You need to go to your doctor to have it evaluated.

Morgannon
Yes, but.....

I wondered if there isnt a list of likely possibilities? so far I have tumor, hernia, or lipid lump, any other ideas???

Many thanks for your answer

I'm no doctor (but married to one hehe!)  Since I'm scared of cancer myself, I always think stuff like that is cancer, but my wife advised me that cancer rarely hurts.  If you're not having any other significant symptoms, I'd say hernia probably.  (I don't think fat deposits that big (or rigid) form in that area.)

So I'd say hernia is most likely.  Especially since you lift very heavy weights.  But don't let that lull you into a false sense of security - if that is a hernia, and the bowel loop circulation gets cut off, that part of your intestine could die, which is life-threatening.

Morgannon

I lifted heavy yesterday, and had no pain though today it has been hurting....thought hernia meant a pain which demobilised you? What are the symptoms of cancer??? I do worry, used to smoke cigars once.

I am 29. I am 230lbs and gaining weight, not fat but muscular. I have no pale complexion or other signs of cancer except one thing.......yellow/white colouring to the tongue is frequent for me, though I also suffer from cattargh.

Many thanks again.
Hernias can cause a whole variety of pain - my wife had one that only acted up when she was lifting things.  She could still lift things, but was finally diagnosed with a hernia when the pain progressively got worse.

Cancer symptoms literally range all over the place, depending on where they spring up.  In general, though, you lose weight.  Since you're gaining, I'm thinking you don't have cancer.  The skin color isn't a good indicator of health/ill health, in general, unless you're talking about jaundice (pronounced yellow color).

You're young and exercise frequently - doubt if you have cancer of any sort (would be HIGHLY unusual).  Do you take any supplements?  Those can really mess with your health.  For instance, I take 25 mg of Zinc a day for prostate health, but I know 50mg is what bodybuilders usually take.  Those supplements do cause some health issues if taken in excess of safe doseages.

So don't worry about cancer.  I'd just get that checked out to make sure that it's not a hernia or something like that.  You'll be fine, I'm sure.

Morg
Well, as im sure you can imagine, I did use legal steroids....for a very very short period. Both testosterone and estrogen based.

However, I feel you are right, and if they did me any damage, it was in making me lift like 2x my bodyweight and so on.......

Its funny, on one hand I eat well and love healthy/active living, but on the other, with weight training, the emphasis is on growing more power/strength/size...

I was anorexic as a child.

Saw the doctor, it is either a hernia, or a cyst....any ideas of which and why?

However, I am having some ache below it now, right hand side of the groin, feels sort of stiff like a pulled muscle or such.........any idea???

This is all odd for me, as I used to be in all round good shape.

i just had my second hernia operation, hernia's dont cause pain they can sit there nicely. mine was causing me discomfort when i sneezed and lifted stuff and did running etc.

1) does the lump go away wen you lie down? if it does i would suggest its a hernia, if it doesnt' then its probably not, i have only had experience with ingrunal hernia's in your groin, you can get hernias in 5 spots i believe 2 sides of your groin (mostly in men), in your belly button (women mostly from child birth, or children born with them, however they are not uncommon in men) you can get them in your upper leg, and another spot on your tummy too....

2) it may be a fat sack, i would suggest, or a cyst/ganglian, i have a lump that is rock hard on my hand and its a cyst, i went to the doc and he said it would go away, this is the most likely thing but get it checked

3) it maybe a tumor of some sort but doubt it,

good luck
Hey Nord, good to hear you went to the doctor.  So hernia or cyst, either one is pretty minor, unless the hernia is large.  What kind of follow up did the doctor recommend?

Morg