Men's Health Community
testosterone patch vs androgel pump androderm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

Im not really sure if this is the right place to post this.  I am a 43 year old guy, ive got hypothyroidism.  My testosterone level free is around 215-250 (range 400-800).  I tried the androgel pump, but that stuff is a pain in the butt.  You have to rub it all over, im afraid to be around my kids.  It also gave me this weird flulike feeling all the time.  Didnt do much for my libido, made my testicles ache like mad.  Add the aching on top of my thyroid discomfort and it didnt make for a happy life.

I am now going to try the testosterone patch.  Its 2.5.  I am not a bodybuilder, i work out, but just a normal build, rather slender in fact.  I am not trying to get muscle, i just want to try to gain back some of my energy.

I have read that the patch is better than the pump as the feeling you get it more natural.    Does anyone have any advice for me?

also with my insurance the patch is $40 vs pump was $60 per month.
bruce
1 Comment
I've tried both the patch and gel. I have had better blood levels with the gel, even though it is messier and lately has gotten much publicity about the risk of secondary exposure to wife and kids. I take extra precautions for that. The patches irritated my skin and left red marks and were basically a pain in my opinion.  There is a new gel (axiron) coming out soon which is applied to the underarms. I may pursue more info on it.