Men's Health Community
to circumsize or not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

to circumsize or not?

I'm 18 years old and at 15ish I realized that I had an uncircumcised penis. This really bothered me because I realized I was different. I've watched movies where uncircumsized guys are made fun of, and naturally I've tried to keep this a secret. So I never bothered to try to get a girlfriend and at times I even blew off subtle approaches by women for fear that they would find out, and that then everyone else in turn would find out and make fun of me to no end.

I have a few questions. For the women out there ( I guess men can answer this too), do women mind if a guy has an uncircumsized penis?
    I've been trying to do research on the internet on where to get circumsized and if this is the right choice. I don't want to tell my parents because they aren't from this country and it'd be hard to explain. I'm 18 now so if anyone has any information regarding where I could get circumsized in northern new jersey (phone number and preferably address) I'd greatly appreaciate it. Also, does anyone know approximately how much an adult circumcision costs?

Am I just being paranoid by thinking that women are put off by an uncircumsized penis? I saw an episode of Sex and the City where Charlotte wouldn't have sex with a guy becuase he was uncircumsized. Then naturally, she tells all her friends. Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
okay... well heres a females point of view. i have slept w/ both a circumsized man and uncircumsized man...and honestly you cant feel a difference. and secondly...if a women is really gonna be that catty over nothing than u dont want to be w/ them anyways! and also i have heard that its not very safe for men to get circumsized... but the risk is higher if ur over 30 so i mean u could do it... but its really not that big of a deal! do some research one the risks of being an adult b4 u go threw w/ it...and if u do decide this is the right choice for u then u can call a local hospital and find out all of this info...but it problly will be pretty expensive specially since ur not telling ur parents which means u won't have insurance... my friend just had a baby and to get him circumsized was $200. so for adult its problly pretty pricey. but just think bout what i said. GIRLS DONT REALLY CARE! and if they do their cheap.
For many women, they fear what they do not know.  Many women in this country have never seen an uncircumcised aroused adult male.  Misconceptions abound as to what "it" is like, and often the descriptions are nasty and exaggerated.  An adult male who keeps himself clean by retracting and cleaning the smegma (NOT necessary for infants/children) will have no problems with women as long as they are not too frightened by the wild stories they might have heard.  
When erect, they all look the same anyway.  Penises are funny looking fellows under the best of circumstances!  Keep yourself clean and always use condoms for intercourse anyway.

You may hear horror stories about awful things that may happen to you if you do not circumcise.  Bear in mind that the natural state of the penis is uncircumcised, and the vast majority of the developed world is uncircumcised, and happily so.  But--it is clearly a decision that YOU are capable of making now that you are an adult.  Do it if YOU want to.  There is no other reason unless you are having physical problems.

If this is really something you want to do, you need to approach an urologist and discuss the hows, why's, and how much questions.  It's more involved for an adult or older child, because adequate anesthesia and anaglesia is used for the operation in the adult.  

I say get it done- you will recover- it will heal- you will feel better about yourself and come out of your shell- don't be afraid, it will be worth it from what you say it has done to your personality to be uncircumcised- really! a blink in time is worth a lifetime of confidence!
I don't think it really makes a difference either way...and like someone else mentioned, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Don't put stock in Charlotte from Sex in the City, her character is prissy.

Talk to a dr, ask a lot of questions, take a lot of time to consider what you are doing, and if the risks of surgery are worth it.

My husband is uncircumcised and there is NO difference whatsoever.  None, nada, zip, zero.  Don't worry about it.  Having it done at your age will hurt like crazy.  My husband's brother had it done when he was 18 and it was not a fun time AT ALL!
My boyfriend is uncircumsized and I have no problem with it at all.  Actually me and my friends were talking about this one day and we think it is better if you are not circumsized.  There is nothing to be ashamed of.  I think at this point it is too late to get it done.  I believe that the US is one of the few places that does this around the world.  The only reason they started circumsizing males was b/c back in the day people didn't take showers as much and this way it was cleaner.  As long as you pull the foreskin back and keep it clean there is nothing to worry about.  I had never seen an uncircumsized penis before my bf and I it isn't that much different.  Don't worry about the women will love you.
First off never think your different or bring yourself down about being who you are. You are neat and will find a girl who thinks so as well. If a girl only looks at you as your penis then she is wrong and well rude. I myself do not mind, that's my point of view. Every girl is different in what they like and dislike. I just know you don't need to be with a girl who only likes you for your southern parts. When you do met a girl and she is the one who loves you for everything you are then show her. I guess don't keep it from her at all but talking about it is better sometimes then just having sex if she is ok with it and likes you then you have a great girl on your hands. The best of luck to you if you need any help just let us know and we will be happy to help. Feel free to be open with us.
Thanks for all the replies! The feedback about the women's point of view was unexpected. I must have posted in an angel's only section or something. Maybe I've been kidding myself all these years. I guess life is just all about confidence. I think I'm going to sit down and watch "Swingers" again while I tell myself over and over again that I'm money.

I've decided to stay uncircumsized at this point in my life. I feel more confident as I write this. I'd like to thank everyone for responding! Now on to adult friend finder... just kidding. When I go back to college I'm going to ask this girl out that I've had a crush on all of frosh year in college. If things don't work out, I'll order a bride from China. Win/win right? HAH! But truly, thank you everyone, I guess you brought out the confident jokester inside me again.
Mail order bride, nice! hahahahahaha!! I hope things work out with the girl back at college. ;)
Yeah, no worries, mate.  My husband didn't tell me about it before hand.  First time I noticed was first time we showered and we had already had sex a few times by then.  And I was definitey already hooked!! But I did have to ask just because I didn't know, LOL!  Go for it!
I love to see people so proud and happy, your a new man. Go get em tiger!
You've received great information here. I dated a guy in college that was not circumcised. And, just like PammySue, I didn't even know it until AFTER we had sex!! I think I was 21 at the time. Even though it wasn't exactly like my previous boyfriend's, it didn't matter one bit.
dont be insecure about it.........do what you think is best for you though
Uncircumcised cocks are EWWW, yucky!

Sorry for being so negative but get it circ'd, contact your doctor, he'll tell you where.
what a stupid thing to say.  some people show their intelligence here dont they?
Yeah, comments like this...I still can`t believe how any female can talk about surgery like circumcision as if it were a haircut. Hopefully since this post in 2006 deprivedteen has not changed his mind and is aware that uncircumcised men in the US are about to be the majority as in most other countries of the world.
I'm not circumcized myself -- I'm 40.  I understand your desire to keep it secret -- I did the same thing.  HERE IS HOW YOU SHOULD LOOK AT IT -- be thankful you are a virgin.  I was a virgin when I got married -- I think in large part because of my fear of people knowing I was uncircumcized as well as my beliefs -- but I beleived I shouldn't do many things but did them anyway.  For me -- looking back it was a blessing.  When I got married at 23 -- for me and my wife -- it was both of our first times -- it is very special.  FIRST OF ALL Be Thankful.

My wife hasn't known anything else since she was a virgin as well.  It hasn't been a problem for her.

I am here because I am looking into it as well -- I have found that as I get older -- I have had problems staying clean all day -- primarily because of bladder issues.

I can't advise you to get circumcized at your age -- I am looking into it myself for the cleanliness issue only.
I'm uncircumcised and I've been with a lot of women.  I've had a lot tell me I'm good in bed, but none complain about it (I don't think some of them even notice).  It baffles and angers me that we're still performing this barbaric procedure in this country.  Consider yourself lucky, I know I do.
It's funny but in the UK guys are normally made fun of if there penis IS circumcised. I guess it's a culture thing. Personally, I'd rather be uncircumcised as sex feels a lot better.
I WAS CIRCUMCISED WHEN I WAS 45,  THINKING IT WOULD BE CLEANER,BUT AFTER A WHILE I WAS SORRY THAT I HAD IT DONE SEX WAS BETTER BEFORE THAN AFTER, BESIDES THE THINKING HAS CHANGED AND BETTER LEFT ALONE THAN TAMPERING WITH NATURE,.
Wow, I came back to this site after a year and to my surprise this thread is still alive. The reason I came back is that I was circumcised a few days ago so my penis is no longer EWWW, yucky!

If anyone needs information regarding circumcision/where it could be done I recommend going to www.circlist.com. The site has tons of information and even a section for finding a physician.

I'm really glad that I got this done and all I have to say is that in about 4 weeks all you hot women watch out.
don't worry about being circumcised it is better to not be.the benefits are.

more pleasure for you.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2007/03/prweb512999.htm

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2006.06685.x

and more pleasure for the woman in your life.

http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/408/60750.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0838/is_1999_March/ai_54308894

http://www.cirp.org/library/sex_function/bensley1/
I have been married for 32 years to a man who is not circumcized.  It has NEVER been as issue for either one of us.  If a girl is turned off by the fact that you are not circumcized, she's not the right girl for you.  How shallow.  Don't mess with nature.
> has NEVER been as issue for either one of us.

How could this be an issue? Nature designed us to be like that. The sad thing is that in many circumstances (and in the U.S. in particular) remaining intact is not evident.

> If a girl is turned off by the fact that you are not circumcized, she's not the right girl for
> you.

I suppose that girls learn that? I cannot in my wildest imagination think that they instinctively react like that.
I just wanted to post a girl's point of view. I have dated 2 men who were circumcised and 2 men who weren't and there isn't a big difference. Many guys aren't circumcised these days, so girls are getting used to it- I wouldn't worry about it! What you see on TV isn't real life. The only difference is that uncircumcised guys have an easier time masturbating (they don't need to use lube) and also it sometimes feels more gentle and sensual with an uncircumcised guy, which is really nice. So, please don't get circumcised. You'll be sad at what you gave up! Plus, I would never do a medical procedure unless I had to (I just gave birth and that sucked!)
> What you see on TV isn't real life. The only difference is that uncircumcised guys have
> an easier time masturbating (they don't need to use lube) and also it sometimes feels
> more gentle and sensual with an uncircumcised guy, which is really nice.

At last, the voice of reason from a girl! Of course it is more gentle and sensual to be with an uncircumcised man. It feels more natural, sensitive and vibrant, qualities that you can safely assume a girl would appreciate. It takes less effort too for the man to get aroused, as he is more sensitive and he does not need lubricant, and this obviously can only augment the pleasure of both.

Many can be said, but one is to retain: never go for circumcision unless there is some serious problem with the foreskin.
Hey pal!  You are normal "au natural" - be pleased. Also sexula intercourse is usually much more pleasurable for uncircumsised guys.  Here in NZ it is now routinme practice NOT to be circumcised.  Stay that way - but keep it clean.
Hi. Please help. Is a uncircumcised man supposed to have a smaller penis than a circumcised man when not erected? or are they similar?
No, do not get circumcised!  I don't know why Americans let circumcise their baby boys and in every other county in the western world and Asia people think it is disgusting!
America has got to modernize and stop circumcise on innocent baby boys! It's a crime to do this to a person that has only been alive for few hours!

Good bye from Europe!
When Googling "circumcision" and various topics such as penile cancer, pleasure, risk, abuse, rights, etc. I've found:
1. Penile cancer risk may be avoided by uncut men with good hygiene, safe sex practices, and non use of tobacco.  European men who are mostly uncut do not suffer more penile cancer than USA men who are cut.  "Circumcision prevents penile cancer" is a myth starting in the early 1900s when doctors had almost no understanding of cancer.
2. HIV infections may be reduced by safe sex practices and good hygiene just as with circumcised men.
3. Sensitivity (and pleasure) is reduced by circumcision.  For young men this is sometimes good, but for mature men it is most definitely bad.
4. Risk is small and benefits are also small.  The cost of the surgery keeps going up.  A good motto: If it isn't broke, don't fix it!!
5. Recently female child routine genital surgery has become prohibited in USA.  It is considered to be a mutilative operation with injury to body or health and often considered as aggravated assault.  Male child circumcision is also mutilative, requiring force against the child and should be looked as in the same light.  Unfortunately little boys are not as protected as little girls.  Read "The Myth of Male Power" by Warren Farrell to get a feel how males are more abused in our society.
6. In USA and many other countries religious freedom is guaranteed and naturally it should be respected. But we in USA must distinguish between physical acts on the one hand, and the culture that supports them on the other. People cannot legitimate assaults on others by invoking religious freedom.
7. Genital surgery on boys and girls has been used through out history as a preventive of masturbation.  Masturbation has been thought the cause of insanity, cancer, etc.  In some states in USA masturbation is illegal and grounds for divorce,
8. In USA we are ignorant concerning circumcision.  It has become a powerful ritual.  We are very superstitious and afraid to go against the ritual.  My uncut sons (now in their 30s) have had no problem.
DO NOT be discouraged its natural look at the picture of Adam & God very closely you will find out it is how we were ment to be.
Here's a woman's point of view again.   I prefer uncircumcised -- that was the way you were created and meant to be.   If for health reasons, you need to be circumcised, it is a different matter.   Cheer you, there are lots of ladies would love you as you are, far more than if you were after the chop, so forget about the worries and have a good time.
I am an uncircumcised male and I have had sex with plenty of women and none have hyad any issues with this. Many in fact have been interested in seeing my penis, because it's not circumcised!! That I can deal with ahahha! All have enjoyed and say it is the same except of course the fact that sex is more gentle and less forceful. This comes from the fact that circumcised men have a callas around their penis, which reduces feeling. Uncircumcised men do not have to thrust as hard to sustain arousal and pleasure.

Do not get circumcised you'd be joining the world's minority. Less than 1/3 of the World's male population is circumcised.
This sounds good, you know what, iam equally uncut and have leant this this great presure.

Thank you very much girls for being honest.
Well, I was going to post this until I read back through and saw that you already had it done... I guess I'll post it anyways for the sake of other readers.
--

I'm not circumcised. It USED to bother me. I realized in elementary school that I was different. It had never occurred to me before because all my brothers and my dad were uncircumcised like me. So when I went to school and saw everyone else was different I stopped using urinals til I was about 15... But I've come to peace with it and I use urinals again, although I can get a little pee shy still when there are people all around me. (Just anxiety)

Anyways... I can tell you the majority of the pleasure nerves of the penis are in the foreskin, the foreskin protects the glans (glands) from abrasion and such, which keeps it more sensitive (better for intercourse), and the foreskin helps keep the glans (glands) moist! This is very important because being circumcised causes your penis to get very dry, so when you have sex, your penis actually draws moisture from the vagina, making it way more common/likely that you'll need lubricant.
Additionally, like previously stated, if a woman actually cares that much about such a detail, then better off to forget her anyways, cause if that'd stop her, she's not in love with you.

Additionally, this subject has come up between me and my step-dad, (he's circumcised) and he said that some women CAN be a little weirded out by an uncut penis, but it's just cause they're not used to it, and if they'll give it a try, they'll realize it's not a big deal.
Other thing he told me was that being circumcised never bothered HIM, but every guy he knew who had gotten circumcised as adults had been miserable. I think it doesn't bother the guys that get it done as infants cause they don't know what they're missing...

I hope this helps you. And if you ask me, I say you probably don't want to do it. But if even after all this, it still interferes with your social/sex life, that's a reasonable enough reason to try it.
Ok after reading most of the comments I have to say something: I hate uncircumsized penis!
My ex-boyfriend was(well still is) uncircumsized,that's the first uncut penis I have ever seen,anyway,I am the first girl he slept with,we were together for more than a year,I was so miserable regarding having sex with him during this period! Let's just forget about the disgusting urine smell I could smell before he took off his pants first,he was always have erection problem!and when he was able to get it up,the stupid extra skin was like the huge rock on the road,the head of his penis couldnt get out and feel all the plasesure,we tried to pull the skin up when having sex,but he always complained it hurts,or it just fell back down very soon.and the biggest issue was, he coulndt ejeculate! we could had sex for like ever( about 30-40 min),and he still coulnd reach the point,most of the time I felt like i was having sex by my self,he was just an blew-up doll,it felt so lonely.and guess what's another big issue that bothers me? he wasnt into sex after a while,it was always me that started it,you have no idea how lonely that i felt.

I mean not every body was like my ex ( read some posts online some ppl have no problem with uncricumsized penis,lucky u guys!) but my one girlfriends experienced the same ppl like mine,I mean,not talk about yourself,it makes anothers painful,it could make u not able to have babies,so talk to your doc!
A related discussion, Uncircumcised BF causing UTI's??? was started.