Men's Health Community
wont go away

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

wont go away

Im a 23 yr old male. Ive been having a couple issue for several months now.. I will try to detail as much as possible and provide time frames.

early june-
met someone, had intercourse without a condom. a couple days later i noticed some small red bumps on the head and top of the shaft of my penis. i went to my doctor, he advised me it looked like a yeast infection (candidiasis). he advised me to simply get some canestan (clotrimazole) cream and apply twice a day. i also went to the STD clinic to be sure, and they took a urine test (for chlamydia and gonnorhea (Gonorrhea)) and never heard back. The doctor there said it looked like irritation / balanitis, and recommended 1% hydrocortisone cream. i ended up using the canestan and everything went away in a few days.

throughout june-
assuming it was just a yeast infection passed to me, and now cured, i continued having sex with this person. for about a month. near the end of june we stopped, and about a week after the bumps came back. small red bumps with some red irritation on head foreskin/shaft. thinking i just got her yeast infection again (its common to pass back and forth), i tried the canestan cream again to no avail. i went to see my doctor again, and gave me a canestan/hydrocortisone mix. tried that for 2 weeks with no results. i went back again, and he gave me a canesten one oral pill, and lotriderm cream to use simultaneously. after several days, it appeared the lotriderm cream helped with the redness and irritation, but the bumps were still present. these bumps are somewhat visible when flaccid, and definitely become noticeable and larger when erect.

a couple weeks later, one day, i noticed some discharge from my penis. about 3 different times during the day. my doctor was away so i went to the clinic that night and the doctor said it just looked like some irritation/yeast, basically reiterating, but was concerned the discharge could be chlamydia. did another urine test and never heard back.

saw my doctor the following week, took another look and no changes. told me it looks like its still yeast, and can linger sometimes and will go away in time,, said he has seen it last more than a year in some cases. this left me worried, as i couldnt understand how if it is indeed  a yeast infection, it should be simple to cure. he advised to use no creams for a while and see how that goes.

over the next couple months no changes.

in late september, i started feeling some pain in my testicles.mainly the left testicle, but occasionally the right one as well. i went to my doctor and he took a look, and didnt feel there was epididymitis or testicular torsion or anything, and said it would go away. it still hurt the following week, and one night i went to the local clinic and saw a doctor there. she took a look and notices the glans (glands) (or whatever connects the testicles) were slightly inflamed. she gave me a weeks dose of anti inflammatories (naproxen) and ordered an ultra sound for the next day.

after the ultrasound, the technician wrote along the lines of "inflammation, possible cyst",  (keep in mind thats just the xray tech) and the doctor said i should hear from the radiologist once they've looked. never heard back but i did ask them to send a copy of results to my family doc.

over the next week, the naproxen did wonders, pain was non-existant, and inflammation went down. after i was finished the weeks worth, the pain gradually came back. no swelling/inflammation, but still some pain. i saw my doctor again, and said the ultransound looked fairly normal, just some inflammation. after telling him the pain is still there, he said to just take advil as needed.

so here i am, 5 months later. still have some small bumps/irritation on the head of my penis (no longer on shaft/red since lotriderm use), and mild pain in my testicles that seems to be okay/bad depending on the day. does anyone have any opinions advice???
If you did indeed have a yeast infection and kept having sex with the same person without them being treated, all your doing is passing it back and forth. Your partner needs to see the Dr too to find out if they also have a yeast infection. If they do, then you both have to be treated at the same time and use condoms until your both cured. Hope this helps.
yes i understand that, but its past that point now. its been months since ive had sex, and the bumps are still there. still a yeast infection? maybe its become resistant to the creams? maybe something else? any relation to the testicular pain? etc
I see. So you have'nt had sex in months and your still having these symptoms. I'm really surprised that you never heard back about your STD tests. I would also think they would do a swab and not just a urine test for any possible STD's. The yeast infection treatments have stopped working so it looks like it is not a yeast infection after all. I could be wrong about that though. Have you take any antibiotics in the last several months? I know with women these can cause yeast infections. What did your Dr say about the possible cyst?I can't believe you never heard anything back about that either. They should have called you. It sounds like you need to see a Urologist next.
im in canada, not sure how things differ up here. basically i was told no news is good news. they were simple urine tests for chlamydia/gonnhorrea. odds of both being lost are quite high, so i think its safe to assume its not that. forgot to mention, when i went to the clinic about the testicular pain, i informed her of the tests and she did another quick urine test on the spot, and dropped a test strip in it for "other" bacteria. im not too sure which bacterias it tested, but between the initial ones and that test she seemed certain it wasnt anything else. all 3 doctors ive seen are convinced it wasnt anything other than a yeast infection. i didnt hear back from the clinic/radiologist about the ultrasound, but like i mentioned my doctor did get a copy and said it looked ok, aside from some inflammation. no cyst. he's also convinced its a lingering yest infection. my doctor is in his 60's and a prominent doctor and i do trust his judgment. its just difficult understanding that nothing is being done. the testicular pain is not quite as bad as it used to be, but its still faintly there on the left side, comes and goes.