Mesothelioma Community
Pleural thickening

WELCOME TO THE MESOTHELIOMA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Malignant Mesothelioma, Prognosis, Questions to Ask Your Doctor and Treatment Options.

Pleural thickening

I am working on a filmscript and I have absolutely no medical experience whatsoever. Apparantly pleural thickening is one of the main signs of mesothelioma. But my question is, can it also be caused by a severe accident like for instance a car accident?

Thank you

Tatiana
Hi!
Yes, it is possible to get pleural thickening after multiple rib injury as is possible after a car accident. As you already know, it is commonly seen in mesothelioma. Other common causes are asbestos exposure, tuberculosis and sarcoidosis. In all these cases except multiple rib fracture, there are other signs and symptoms of diseases which result in pleural thickening. Hope this helps. Take care!