Mesothelioma Community
Worried sick

WELCOME TO THE MESOTHELIOMA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Malignant Mesothelioma, Prognosis, Questions to Ask Your Doctor and Treatment Options.

Worried sick

I was exposed to airborne asbestos while contractior removed insulation from a pipe in an old house.  It was a 40 ft pipe in the basement.  There was visible dust in the basement.  I was there watching them 1 hr a day for 7 days without any protection.  It has been cleaned by professional one month after the disaster.  Am i going to get an asbestos related diseases from this short term exposure.  I have been extremely worried about this.  Please get back to me
I doubt it, if asbestos were really that dangerous, there would be no old people. Asbestos related diseases are usually brought on by long term asbestos exposure.
Usually long term expose is more of a risk.  If you are still worried go to your physical and get a chest x-ray.  Signs and symptoms of asbestos related diseases usually take 20-50 years to develop so better to be safe than sorry.