Methadone Community User Group
Can anyone help met get off methadone?
About This Group:

Those who have pain and have to live with it daily. No matter what reason you are on methadone for your welcome here. A place where others can talk and feel they are not alone.

Founded by Holliee on September 25, 2009
122 members

Can anyone help met get off methadone?

I've been on methadone for about 4 years now.  I take 160mg daily and I want to stop immediately.  I've had cronic (chronic) pain in my neck and back for years now and recently had my 2nd cervical spine surgery in 5 years.  I'm at the point where the meds from the doctors aren't working because of the methadone.  I'll take 200mg of oxycodone or 100mg of morphine and still be in excrutiating pain.  I spoke to someone at the methadone clinic about stopping and they said it'll take a long time without an inpatient detox.  I've read multiple times that there are people who've stopped taking methadone with zinc magnesium tablets.  I want to know if this can really be done?  Is my dose too high to just stop methadone cold and start taking these tablets?  Can anyone give me any advise on how to stop without having a major detox?  I don't want to have to stop my life for a few weeks detoxing.  I understand that I may be living in a dream world thinking there's a way to get off methadone like this, but I'm really hoping I'm not
1 Comment
Hey there! 160 mg is ALOT to stop cold turkey. I strongly suggest tapering down your dose slowly. In my experience, during hurricane katrina, I stopped CT at over 100 mg b/c I had no choice & it was H-E-L-L!! After 3 1/2 weeks I was back on it because I retuned home & needed strength to put my life back together, anyway, I have been on it for almost 10 years, and am 8 days clean today. To be honest, it will not be easy, it is a tough fight that you have to really want! Mine isn't that bad, last summer I tried stopping off of just 20 mg, and I couldn ttake it, so day 2 I got back on 15 mg, so over the last year I spent on this site, and slooooowly tapering from 15 mg down to 2 mg and jumped 8 days ago. If you go to the substance abuse forum, there are more people there to help & talk to, plus at the bottom right of that forum there will be The Thomas Recipe, along with the Amino Acid Protocol with alot of info to try & make this easier. But I strongly suggest do not try and go cold turkey off of such a high daily dose. Best to you, this is a great place to be for support! God Bless!
Dryan8313 commented on 124 days...wha...whaa...
Aug 08
ormortman joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 02
cjhigg joined this group
Welcome them!
Jun 05