Methadone Detox
Please don't tell me to call it tapering. To me, methadone is poison of the worst sort and I will call it detoxification. I have numbed myself with pain killers for 18 yrs so I feel I'm qualified to write about it. Eventually I ended up on methadone, but Percocet and Oxycontin came first.

I believe Oxycontin is a drug that was created for the sole purpose of addiction. Did they know it would eventually become the GenX epidemic? I believe yes. I also believe that the methadone clinics in our country (US) saw this and prepared for the day when Oxycontin would become "less available".

When I first started methadone (at the clinic), I thought it was the greatest. I no longer worried about where to get my drug because it was there. I never failed UA's because numbing my past was all I wanted and methadone was king. Problem was that methadone (to me) is the most debilitation and unhealthy of all the pain killers. I reached as high as 160mgs/day when I wanted out.

I started looking all over the net to find someone that had detoxed, but could find very little. I just wanted to find one person who had done what I knew I was going to do. There were a few stories of people that said they had detoxed, but just like a ghost, they were always gone. There was no way for me to "reach out" to them.

So I started 1.5years ago on a slow and painful detox alone. Instead of helping and being an integral part of my detox, the clinic has actually stood in the way in a few instances. Still, I have continued and I'm now at 15mgs/day. I wish I could tell every one of you that it has been easy, but it has not.

Before beginning my detox I put many barriers in place and when I get through I will owe a significant amount of gratitude to the barriers. The barriers ranged from things as significant as my family to as small as an MP3 player full of inspiring music. I owe it most of all to my family, but every barrier has played a role, and I could not have done it with one less of each.

When I detoxed to 40mgs, I was in pain. I had never laid eyes on my clinics physician and they never gave me any emergency numbers to call. It was a very lonely and painful place and I wanted someone that had felt the same way to tell me I was going to be okay. There was none. My family was there, but they couldn't understand the craziness going on in my head. So I started a blog.

ismelltherain.me would become my outlet. I have posted daily detox symptoms and every thought in between on those pages. I haven't decided what to do with it when I'm done (with detox), but I know I will leave it there for anyone else going through the nightmare of pulling these methadone hooks out.

It is true; I have done this detox alone in many respects. I believe no one should ever have to go through these kinds of doubts alone and I will do my part to make sure that happens to nobody else. The blog address is above and my email is purplerain at ismelltherain.me
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us
Treyisfresh joined this group
Welcome them!
Nov 23
pancreas commented on methadone chart
Nov 13
mink143 commented on Suboxone withdrawal
Nov 05