Migraines & Headaches Community
135 Fibronogen Level

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

135 Fibronogen Level

My neurologist is currently testing me for basilar migraines and received bloodwork back that my Fibronogen level is 135 which is relatively low, seeing that was I have researched the average for an adult is 200-400. He said that he was going to look into this more today because all of my other bloodwork was normal and was not sure what this meant on its own and how significant this was. I expressed to him my concern that my confusion, memory loss, lack of focus, eye twitching, left side weakness and tingling, headaches, and clumsiness have seemed to have stopped getting better. We are still awaiting my results from the MRI that he ordered. Wierd things are happening, I am getting my period 2-3 a month now and I am starting to loose weight again. I know I was very upbeat about getting better before and now I am starting to getting more and more frustrated, just take this pill, just go to this other doctor, just get this test done. My mood swings are getting worse then ever and everyday tasks are starting to get harder again. Any thoughts on the test results? Or the next step?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

At this point ,an isolated finding of decreased fibrinogen level may need further evaluation. There is a need to consult with a hematologist to assess your headaches and frequent menses as these two may be explained by the decreased fibrinogen.

Were coagulation tests done ( PT and aPTT) ? What were the results?
Have you mentioned that your period seemed to appear more frequently? Was a complete blood count done? Any gum bleeding, abdominal pain, change in urinary character or darker stools?If you have any of these, you should inform your physician right away. Fibrinogen is essential in helping the blood clot. Absence of this or low levels of fibrinogen may lead to some bleeding disorders or even thrombotic events.Discuss this with your physician.You need close supervision so open your lines of communication with your physician. At this point , we do not know exactly what could have caused the fibrinogen levels to decrease but do not hesitate to seek immediate consult tat the ER if your symptoms progress.

Was a reptilase test done? Any one in the family with bleeding problems ( like difficult wound healing ?).

Ask your primary physician if you need to see a hematologist while waiting for the MRI scan.

Do keep us posted.
In the past year my father has been diagnosed with having blood clots in one of his legs from an unknown cause and is being treated with medication and his father died from a stroke when he was in his late twenties. A stroke is something that has been weighing heavy on my mind, but keeps being dismissed by my doctors. They keep saying that at 26 I am too young and that I am either having seizures or migraines. I do not believe it to be seizures (inpatient EEG- had non specific activity and several outpatient had no abnormal activity). Migraines I am not too sure about. It is just hard to deal with because these "attacks" happen every 2-4 years in clusters and are getting closer and closer together as the years pass. This is the 3rd time it has happened.

- To answer your questions. Yes, my gums are very red and my mandible is very sore. I am a certified dental assistant and I can tell you this is not gingivitis. No abdominal pain. My urine is potent in smell and dark yellow and in color and cloudy and my stool seems "greasy" is that makes since and "gritty". Also, I have noticed that my breath has an odd odor, it almost rancid but there is no sign of plaque buildup anywhere and my oral hygiene is very well.

Is there anything one can do to raise their fibrinogen level? And, with the MRI the radiologist should be able to tell whether I had a stroke or not right? A thrombotic event makes since... Also.... it was found on my CT scan in the ER that I have a 1.5 cm mass on my right frontal lobe and they are trying to connect the dots with this as well. I have been told prior by a different doctor that they do not think the mass has anything to do with the symptoms I am having because it is not "significant".
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I believe you need a complete work up. Your family history of thrombotic events is signficant and tying this up with your decreased fibrinogen levels suggests that you need close follow up and a referral to a hematologist.Your MRI scan will be able to determine any bleed or soft tissue involvement.I suggest that you also visit an ENT specialist so you will have your mandible and gums assessed.They may need a specific imaging view for this. A hematologist will be able to request for appropriate tests that may ascertain what caused your fibrinogen levels to decrease.At this point,we can only assume that this may be genetic considering your father's medical history.A genetic work up with you including members of your family may help shed light on this.

Fibrinogen levels may be increased through administration of fibrinogen.You may discuss this possibility with your physician.At this point,the brain mass they have seen in one of your scans may not be direcly involved with your symptoms.The diagnoses of migraine ( if you have been diagosed with one ) may need to be reclassified given the brain mass and decreased fibrinogen levels.Migraines are only given as a diagnoses if all underlying conditions have been excluded. I suggest you seek consult with a hematologist/oncologist to have your condition managed as soon as possible.

Do keep us posted.
I made an appointment with a hematologist/oncologist for this week. I am hoping that he can finally put some answers along with my bloodwork and symptoms and put some of this to rest. I can not stop smelling peroxide... i think that is what the smell is... anyway. My MRI results will here next week. I just want an answer so I can do something to feel better and get things moving to a "normal" life.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi  Karen,

This should not stop you from living a good and normal life.Keep a positive attitude and maintain a proactive and upbeat outlook. You seem to be coping well given all the health issues that has come  your way.
Let us hope for better results. Keep us posted regarding your progress.