Migraines & Headaches Community
7 year old with chronic headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

7 year old with chronic headaches

My son is seven years old and has been having headaches about every 7-10 days for about a year and a half. I suspect they started as early as 3 years of age but not in this pattern. About 50% of the time he eventually has a stomach ache and nausea which may or may not result in vomiting. If we can get him to go to sleep ( most of his headaches are in the early evenings) he won't vomit. If he does vomit he's fine immediately afterward. It's almost like a 'switch'. He had an eeg about a year and a half ago that was negative for seizure activity. I suspected metabolic since his father is type1 diabetic but have yet to see an endocrinologist. According to the opthalmologist his eyesight is normal.
My husband and I are about at the end of our rope. SOMETHING is wrong and these symptoms just don't seem to be serious enough to his doctor. I'm switching to a pediatrician instead of a general practioner but am having problems with them acknowledging the homeopathic routes we prefer. My son also has a little foam in his urine and always waits until the very last second to urinate.
Any suggestions are immensely appreciated.
Hi healthysoul,

I am sorry your son is having these headaches. I hope that he feels better soon.

Headaches with vomiting, in children, are often migraine. The key is the vomiting... that's how migraine usually presents itself in children: stomach aches and vomiting, along with a headache.

I think that your idea of getting him to a pediatrician is an excellent idea. A doctor that specializes in children will understand a child better, how disease present themselves in children, and how to treat a disease in a child. So, I think that getting him to a pediatrician is an excellent idea. Always consult a doctor whenever you have health concerns, and a doctor that specializes in the area that your concern is in is usually the best.

I am not a doctor so I cannot diagnose your child, nor do I think that anyone can diagnose your child on the internet. Although, I do personally believe, from the symptoms you have described, that this does sound like it could be migraine in the way that migraine normally presents itself in children. If your family doctor has not suggested migraine to you yet, that is something that I would suggest that you look into. I think that going to see a pediatrician is the best thing that you can do. I would even suggest going to see a neurologist as well.

I do not know if the foamy urine is related to the headaches necessarily. Has it always been that way? I know that in adults, foam in urine and hesitancy to urinate can suggest a urinary track infection (a UTI). You may want to take him to his family doctor to get a urine sample to test for a UTI. He may need antibiotics if he has a UTI, which is why I think you should get him tested for this.

Let us know how it goes and let us know if you find out anything about your son's headaches. Good luck! I hope your son feels better soon.

- marilee