Migraines & Headaches Community
Acute headache with swelling on top of head.

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I've been having headaches off and on for a while now but I didn't give them much thought as I have hypogycemia, as well as arthritis and fibromyalgia.  However early this morning I noticed what appears to be a swollen spot on the top of my head, with a smaller spot slightly forward of it.  I had my husband look at them and he said they appear to be slightly discolored, but not red.  They are tender to the touch and I have had a persistent headache, with some nausea.  The pain is sharp, my scalp feels vaguely tight and slightly burning.  I'm trying to determine if this could be serious or not.  I don't remember exactly how long ago, but within the last couple of weeks I was hit in the top of the head by the edge of the trunk lid.  Could I be experiencing pain and swelling from that at this late date?  Thanks for any help given.
Mouse203
Avatar n tn
yes most probably the swelling is the result of injury that you suffered but it can also be due to folliculitis which is infammation of the hair follicle and is quite painful. You can take OTC pain killers and see if they help. If the swelling continues to enlarge and the pain increases then please consult your physician.Good luck!
Thanks.  Tried OTC already, it helped some for about an hour.  Thanks for the information though.
Mouse
Avatar n tn

I would suggest you to consult a dermatologist as this might be a dermatoogical problem. I hope this helps!
Avatar n tn
I have swelling on my forehead & head & severe pain on the swelling area.Due to that I started loosing little hair on the swelling portion on the head.I also have diabetes but not too high. Is it due to Diabetes?