Migraines & Headaches Community
Alcohol and tension headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Alcohol and tension headaches

I've never been on a site like this before but I was wondering what other chronic tension headache sufferers experience with alcohol was? I gave up drinking 4 yrs ago after years of abusing alcohol and started getting headaches straight away. For the first two years I would only get them for a short while and physio would relieve the headaches, however 2 yrs ago some thing stressfull happened and I have had daily headaches ever since. I am seriously contemplating drinking again to relieve the pain. Has any one had a similar experience?

I have done every test and teatment possible, physio, chiro, acupuncture, reiki, kinesiology, massage, naturopath, yoga, mediation, given up caffeine, chocolate, soft drink etc etc and don't know where to go next. I have recently taken codine to help but with my history with alcohol this is playing with fire. I have my first specialist appointment on the 24th of Feb but am scared I am going to turn to alcohol before this date and am too scared to tell any of my recovery buddies what I'm thinking. I know it's crazy to have suffered so long with out going to a specialist but I am terrified of going on anti depressants and even more terrified of him telling me he can't help. I feel really alone and like no one understands and don't like telling my friends or family cause it's been going on so long they've heard it all before.
please, do NOT start drinking again to relieve the pain. That's not a good thing to do. In many cases, alcohol can make headaches WORSE, not better. You've worked so hard to stay in recovery to let the pain rule your life.

I'm speaking from experience here. I've had a migraine since early September '01. I know how tempting it is to just turn to a substance for an escape. I did it with painkillers, and lost the trust of my mom, my doctors, and myself. It really wasn't good. I've gotten my life back under control, but it really hurt me in the long-term for a short term fix.

If you're seeing a specialist on the 24th, do NOT give up hope. It's highly possible that they'll have some suggestions. Make sure to tell them about your history of substance abuse, as that can effect your body long term and how the different medications can work in your body.

Antidepressants are NOT the end of the world. I'm on 4 different psych meds, and they help my migraines, as well as my moods. A lot of people w/ chronic headaches are on antidepressants, not just because they're depressed, but because antidepressants effect the same chemicals in the brain that can cause the headaches in the first place. They're used as preventatives for the headaches. It's NOT a sign of weakness to be on a monitored, prescribed dose of a medication.

As for not wanting to talk to your friends and family about this, that's what we're here for, to support each other. So there's this community, and then I'd recommend talking to a therapist. It does NOT mean that you're 'crazy' or anything like that. I've been seeing therapists to deal w/ the effect pain has on my life since I was 12.

Please do not give up hope and surrender to the urge to drink. We're all here for you to see you through this rough patch before you get to the 24th. Ok?

take care and stay safe,

~Dame