Migraines & Headaches Community
Anyone take Oxycontin for migraines?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Anyone take Oxycontin for migraines?

I've had chronic migraines twice a week for 15 years, each episode lasting 3 days and only half relief with any triptan I've ever tried.  I receive my migraine care from a a neurologist who is director of a top headache clinic and have been tried on migraine preventives for 15 years and all kinds of research trials and alternative treatments, second opinions, etc.  Nothing has even come close to relieving the frequency or intensity.  

This is all my kids have known growing up and I play the "wounded animal" all the time, but still the entire family has suffered.  I know my neurologist will put me on low dose, time release Oxycontin if I ask, as we've discussed it as an option before.  Is anyone here on this on a daily basis?  If I do take it, will I have to give up trying migraine preventives (not that they've worked)?  

Just a few years and my kids will be off to college.  I've already missed out on so much and don't want to lose these beautiful years I have left with them.  Would Oxycontin make it worse or better?  Does it help migraines?  Thank you.
I can tell you that it can help if you have other symtoms (symptoms) with your migraines.  it's my understanding that dilaudid is more powerful that Oxy's and it doesn't seem to help with the migraines, it helps with body pain.  You can also have the risk of being overly medicated, which can cause your migraines to become more severe and even change.
I had a friend die because of the Oxy's.  He started to abuse them because they did work for him, then he became addicted and eventually he had to take them to prevent him from getting sick.  He would get severe headaches and would become physically ill if he didn't take them.  He died of heart failure at the age of 32.
I would say that if you have tried everything else, and if you have spoken to your doctor about the risks and benefits, you might want to try it.  Only use it as directed though.  Good luck!
Pissant:  Hi.  I'm so sorry to hear about the death of your friend.  Do you know if he died solely as a result of Oxycontin abuse?  Do you know if he split or crushed the pills in an attempt to get high, or did he take them whole and as prescribed?  Thank you.
No, Oxycontin absolutely does not work.  Tried it for a long time,  many doses.  My new doctor was shocked that my doctor would even prescribe this, as most migraines are vascular, not due to generalized "pain", which is what Oxycontin is typically used for.  Also, as noted by another person, it is highly addictive and should only be used for a short period of time.

Good luck.  I feel one coming on right now...(I take Zomig, which helps if I catch it early enough).
I have migraines, and use Oxycontin as a rescue medication.  I hate it because it makes me itch all over, and I feel totally out of control of life.  Since I'm a "control nut" that doesn't set well with me.   But there are times when I must choose to itch or ache, maybe once or twice a year.  I would never never take more than directed because, as someone else said already, they are habit forming.  I wish you success on your journey to being pain free.
I take fiorinal for headaches which works great for me. I spent the night at a friends house and had none with me. So, I tried oxycotin for an oncoming migraine. It did NOTHING for the headache and made me feel unsteady and basically like crap. Moral of this story. Don't forget to keep some of my meds in my car.