Migraines & Headaches Community
Blind spot, numb fingers, headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Blind spot, numb fingers, headache

This morning I had a blind spot in my vision. It was about the size of a dinner plate at about eyeline off to my right. The area looked like it was shimmering/flickering. If I held my hand in the area it disappeared completely from sight and the area was "filled in" with the background, in much the same way as it is in those optic nerve blind spot experiments that are done in juniour school science classes. The effect lasted for about half an hour at which point the ring and pinky fingers on my left hand went numb (there may have been some overlap between these two symptoms, but i cant remember). This numbness was very odd as my fingers werent cold, and I had not cut off the circulation. This effect lasted for about 15 to 20 minutes. In the hours after this event I had a mild headache at the front of my head.
I consider myself a relatively healthy individual. I am within the healthy weight range and have low blood pressure. I have no history of migraines, which I have heard are linked to blind spot symptoms.
The blind spot might well have been an aura, which is a common sign of a migraine coming on. You don't have to have a history of migraine in order to get one. It can be a one time deal, and you'll never get one again.

The numbness is slightly troubling. I would keep an eye on it. If it returns, I would make an appointment with your doc and get it checked out.

Good luck,

~Dame
It definately sounds like a migraine, when I get mine, myy whole hand or arm goes numb aswel as the side of my face, I also get the blindspot, numbness and then the pain hits. All the things u experienced are typical migraine symptoms. Seeing as u seem to have never had one before I suggest going to a doctor if u get another attack, but hopefully u wont=)
I have the same thing right now... Blind spot a couple of times today which lasted about 15-30 mins or so, and now my right hand is numb (as well as the right side of my lip). I've gotten this before in my life (maybe 2-3 times), but it was usually my left hand and the left side of my face that went numb... Odly enough, I've never had a migraine, these symptoms are usually just followed by a mild headache... One time I had problems making coherent sentences as well. My father and my twin brother get migraines (and the same symptomes). Maybe I just inherited the symptoms without the migraines...?

Should I be worried and check this out?

Thanks...
Hi-
You might see an Opthamologist. They could do a formal test of your peripheral vision and also check out your optic nerve.
Horselip
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Were you able to experience the blind spots and numbness? A follow-up with your opthalmologist would really help with ruling out any eye conditions. If this was migraine, headache journal will help determine the possible triggers.Take care and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Were you able to experience the blind spots and numbness again? A follow-up with your opthalmologist would really help with ruling out any eye conditions. If this was migraine, headache journal will help determine the possible triggers.Take care and do keep us posted.
Thanks for the information everyone :)
I havent experiences these symptoms since the original two occurrences.
I will mention it to my doctor next time I'm in though!
The chiropractor I work for has informed me in the past that migraines aren't always intense. Everyones body reacts differently to pain, just as it does with medication. It's like an allergic reaction - if you're allergic to a specific antibiotic, you may develop hives or your throat could close and you could die. It depends on your body and how it reacts to that particular medication. He said migraines can be very similar to this allergic reaction. Some people may experience intense pain, others may feel a mild or slight headache.
I had this happen to me tonight for the first time. I was at a show, watching bands play, I had a blind spot in my right eye, and thought it was because of the lights, walked outside, it kinda went away. talked on the phone maybe 10 minutes, walked around maybe 10 minutes, in which time a massive migraine kicked in, sat in the bar maybe 5 minutes, then while I still had the massive migraine/headache, which was killing my eyes, the tip of my pointer finger started going numb, the fingers that were numb switched up, thumb, ring, pinky, all just like a quarter-sized area. Only a little did my tongue go numb, just barely, then stopped. After a minute of being freaked out, I got a cup of ice water, which made the numbness go away, but not the migraine, an hour ride home, then an hr nap, and a small cup of Gatorade later, everything's gone
I am a 26 year old male and have had these symptoms before; blind spots, hand/arm/face/tongue numbness, aphasia(can't put sentences together), dizziness, disorientation, unbalanced.
I went to a neurologist who, like everyone is saying, said it could be a migraine. I was pretty convinced it wasn't a migraine though so I made him check me out for other possible diagnoses. I got an EEG and a brain MRI and it turns out that I was right. I don't suffer from migraines. I had had a partial seizure. My EEG reported that there was an electrical imbalance in my brain and forevermore I would be prone to partial seizures. Do yourself a favor...get this checked out.
OMG! Thank you for sharing! I have been trying to look up these exact same symptoms I have been experiencing every 1-2 months. Unfortunately, I am a chronic Migraine sufferer and has gotten worse ever since I moved to South Georgia. I really dont know why it has gotten worse, but there are no medications, natural remedies, etc. that seem to help. I am leaving a comment because I just experienced what your going through yesterday. First, it started with seeing spots and couldnt see clearly. Second, came numbing sensation on my face and hands. Third, that is when the migraine hits (heartbeat and head starts to pound) and you cant help but have to lay in a quiet, dark room for a few hours or more. When I get one of my worse migraines, I would have to throwup. I didnt start feeling better until this morning.