Migraines & Headaches Community
Brain aneurysm

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Brain aneurysm

I went to a neurologist with symptoms that could be neurological in nature, including falls, headaches, dropping/spilling, slurred speech at times and nausea.  He did a neuro exam, had me walk up and down the hallway, checked reflexes, listened to carotids, and listened to my head (brain?) with his stethoscope.  He said the falling was due to the way I walk, and was proud to declare that I don't have an aneurysm (r/o by listening to my brain).  When I told my family doc, she said she had heard of that being used to r/o aneurysm.  I've searched and searched and can't find any reference to use of such a diagostic tool.  Also, my mother had a ruptured brain aneurysm and her death was thought to be a AAA (going by sx.,no autopsy).  Have you ever head of such a way to r/o brain aneursym?
No, I have not.  Mine was found by an MRI/MRA scan that was being done to check on a stroke.  Then the neurosurgeon wanted to do a CT scan to accurately check the size of it.  I'm not a doctor and have no way of knowing, but it sounds too simple to rule out by a stethoscope.  I would also be leary and I read where aneurysms can be heriditary.  Hopefully someone else can give you an answer.  Good luck.
I agree with Sara.  It's common for my wife's Neurologist to listen in her skull but I believe it is for larger aneurysms or malformations that present blood flow noise.  If a Neurologist could identify all aneurysms with a stethoscope only, we'd have much cheaper health insurance but they'd probable have way higher malpractice premiums.  Smaller aneurysms require diagnostic tools such as Sara mentioned.  Maybe a second opinion might be in order.  Good luck!