Migraines & Headaches Community
Bulging vein on left side of forehead.

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Bulging vein on left side of forehead.

Yesterday, my 42 year old husband noticed that he had a large, bulging vein on the left side of his head.  He has no hair on his head so it is very visable to see where it starts and stops.  It begins by his left ear and makes and upside down L over towards the middle of his forehead/top of his head.  It was very prominent last night before bed, almost not noticable this morning and slightly noticable this afternoon.  He did have some pain near that eye a few months back, but it seems to be better now.  Should he have it looked at?  How urgently should he see someone?  What kind of dr?  He tends to avoid drs, but we have three small children and I need him to take care of himself.
Avatar dr f tn
How is your husband? Are there other symptoms present? A bulging vein at the head may be normal and may also disappear on its own. It could be due to high blood pressure, temporal arteritis or primary headaches such as tension headaches. If it persists, it is best that he checks with his doctor for proper evaluation. Direct clinical examination is essential. Take care and regards.
Avatar dr f tn
He's doing much better.  It seems to have gone down.  He's focussing on hydration and if it comes back up again we are going to see his doctor right away.  The only other symptom he has had was this pain over his left eye.  It was fairly persistent for a few weeks but seems to have gone away now.  He's always been good about getting his yearly physicals and bloodwork done, but I know that they don't always catch things that are abnormal.   Thank you so much for taking time to answer my question.
Avatar dr f tn
Thanks for the update. It is good that the bulging has subsided. Pain in the eye or opthalmalgia may be caused by a variety of conditions including infection, inflammation, migraine or cluster headache, sinus problems and even eye issues that needs to be evaluated further by your eye doctor. Take care always.
i also have the same thing just this morning for the first time i have  have a.headache and avain in may left forehead,i am getting wooried what cause this.one
Hi i have also a bulging vein in my right forehead and the pain is near of the vein..what is that mean?im scared because i dont know what it is.this is the first time that i encounter this..can u help me? Plssss
Am getting  a headache on the left side and also eye pain on the same part.
Besides i can feel a bulging vein and left jaw joint problem.
Back pain also on the left side near shoulder
Can someone please guide me what should i do.

Vishal babajee
Did your husband ever get evaluated? I'm only 22 and experiencing something similar above my left eye in my temple area. The vein isn't noticably enlarged but when I touch it I can literally trace an outline of it and I can't do that to my right side. Only other symptom is a weird pressure feeling in my left eyebrow/temple area