Migraines & Headaches Community
Can MRSA + neck injury = migraines?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Can MRSA + neck injury = migraines?

I have carried MRSA for 5 years, 2 years ago I injured my neck, since then, I have had regular migraines and some severe ones. The severe ones really scare me, because they consist of loss of coordination, freezing cold, extreme pain, throbbing, vision prob, impaired thinking, uneven slow blinking over and over, vomiting, and the back of my neck swells up. I don't have insurance so all they did was an x-ray of my neck. They said they couldn't tell where my vertabrae started or ended it was all a white mess. They gave me butal bital and imetrex for migraines, for a while, soma for muscle spasms, they took me off the somas 2 months ago so I am getting charliehorsed muscles in my back all the time now.
My question is, could the MRSA have gotten into my spine and cause all this mess? I am at wits end and I really need help. Also, one more thing, I have started sleepwalking again, quite frequently doing all kinds of stupid stuff.
some more info, I cannot pass a neurological test. I fall to the back and right every time, my knee jerk doesn't happen, when dr tried to look in my eyes with a light, my eyeball (individually would jerk away), my vision is very much affected before and during migraines. untreated, my bp is now running around 190/142, with meds, it's fine except when i have a migraine. Before all this started, my BP was normal, cholesterol was low, everything worked the way it should. The MRSA strain I picked up would only respond to very very high doses of antibiotics and rostatin(sp) i.v. Another question is why is the dr blowing off my xray if they took 6 and they were unreadable due to quantity of white matter in all the shots of the upper are? I am not a dr but I thought you should be able to see the bones individually. IDK
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Were there other imaging studies performed like CT scan or MRI in the past? This could show better anatomical structures especially if there are problems in the x-ray readings. Injury to the head or neck usually leads to post traumatic headaches which may persists for months or even years after. Aside from headache, other symptoms observed are dizziness, insomnia, difficulties in concentration and mood and personality changes.  This could be due to  muscle contraction of the muscles of the neck and scalp or it can also be due to vascular changes that may give rise to a vascular headache that can pulsate.  Sometimes, these types of headaches present with migraine symptoms.  The accompanying muscle contraction and vascular changes compounded by emotional reactions sometimes produce further anxiety and lead to a vicious cycle. Physical and manipulative medicine including chiropractor consult may also help. Have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.
thank you for responding! As to ct or mri, no, they just couldnt read the xrays and left it at that. When I was a kid, I cracked the vertabra in my neck. I never had any problems from it until now.(I'm 44) My current symptoms include migraines, muscle spasms in my back neck and legs. The migraines I get usually 2-3 times a week. Most of them start in the morning and wake me up. They can usually be shot down with imetrex (if it;s a light one and caught early enough), or fioricet. But I also get about once or twice a month, a ridiculously painful, extreme pressure migraine that lasts for days. At the end of those, I have serious memory problems, and I am physically drained and weak. While they are going on, my equalibrium goes, to the point where I cannot stand upright without holding on to something, and even then I am tippy. It is hard to keep my eyes open, and I have been told, my eyes don't track properly and I blink just one side at a time a lot. I lose hand and leg dexterity too(fine motor). Basically it feels like my head is going to explode. During the regular migraines, light, sound and smells really bother me, during the big bad, I dont even notice. Cognitive thought becomes impossible. Last time this happened, at one point I was at home and I thought I really should go to the emergency room. Next thought I had was how would I get there, I couldnt drive...The thought of an ambulance or calling someone never entered my mind at all. That is seriously impaired thinking, not me being a hard head. lol. The pain in my head usually starts the same way, first a sharp line going from the top of my neck through my left ear, (including the tip top of the cartalidge) straight through my temple into my left eye. It then goes across my forehead, into my right eye, and back to my neck. Like it makes a circle. Then it blows up. This length of time is maybe 2 minutes. The only signs this is going to happen are this warning shot, and also, sometimes I can't read a computer screen.