Migraines & Headaches Community
Can a Migraine cause a Seizer ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Can a Migraine cause a Seizer ?

My wife has been suffering with Migraine headaches for years , takes fluroset---Last week she felt a Migraine coming on  ,but then had a seizer-----can Migraines cause seizers ? Hospital could not find cause
Not necessarily cause, but they may be related, as there is a higher prevalence of migraine sufferers in the epileptic population than the general, and vice versa, higher prevalence of people with seizure disorders in the migraine-suffering populace than the general.

The medical community still does not fully understand either condition, let alone their connection, and many, if not most seizures and diagnoses of epilepsy doctors are unable to pinpoint a cause, although both (some types) conditions can be hereditary.

Good luck to you and your wife.
what is a partial seizure like? Recently I have noticed that I wake up with a migraine and I am trembling/shaking uncontrollably and very weak for a short time afterward. Could this be a seizure of some sort?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your wife? Does she have a personal history of seizure? Headache associated with epilepsy is called a postictal headache or headache that occurs after seizure activity. Majority of people with epilepsy have postictal headache. Less commonly, a headache may  also be a sign that a seizure is approaching. These are called pre-ictal headaches because they occur before the seizure activity starts.

Migraines not necessarily cause seizures but it shares some common features with epilepsy. Like seizures, they can be triggered by stress, fatigue, menstruation, and alcohol. Even the aura before a migraine is similar to an aura before a seizure. It is best that you have her evaluated further for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Partial  or focal seizures occur when abnormal electric activity affects an area of the brain. It can be a simple  or complex seizure wherein awareness or memory may or may not be affected. Patients with simple focal seizures do not lose consciousness and remember the events that occur at the time while patients with complex partial seizures will have abnormal consciousness and may or may not remember the seizure. Other symptoms include abnormal muscle contraction, repetitive movements, abnormal sensations, nausea and changes in mood or emotion. Diagnosis is usually with a complete neurological examination and EEG. It is best that you have this evaluated further by your doctor for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.
I am a 40 post partial yysterctomy female.  Approx 7  years ago I was in a nasty  accident involving a semi.   Ever since theni have had increasingly worse headaches, That were diagnosed as migraines.  The normal drugs used to treat migraines (topomax (topamax) and triptans) cause severe personality changes. About 4 years ago I developed seizures when I have a migraine (never without a migraine)  My pcp is clueless and every neuro that I get sent to says I have healthy brain.  Any insight from you would be appreciated.  

Thanks Debbie
My husband up to two weeks ago was a healthy 40 year old man who lived a very active life style.  He does not smoke seldoms drinks and is in great shape.  He woke up two weeks ago with a pain in his shoulder..thought he slept on it wrong, so he proceeded with his day.  He arrived home at 5pm and literally collapsed on my couch in pain.  He said he had a horrinble headache, he was cold to the touch, sweating and looked gray.  I immed. take him to er where he was attended to as soon as he got there.  After a week of being in the hospital and doing every MRI,MRV,MRA,CT,EEG,EMG,EKG,CHEST CHEST XRAY, and literally 13 tubes of blood they found nothing.  He was confused at times and would stare off.  They kept telling me it was a bad migraine.  He has been discharged for a week and is still at times confused and has moments of staring off.   Anyone have anything like this happend to them>  help !
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your husband? Are there other symptoms present? The diagnostic tests done were plenty already and it is good that the test results were fine. However, if the symptoms persists, you could have a second opinion from other specialists. Consider also the triggers as well as any environmental or work factors that could be contributing. Take care and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What diagnostic tests were done already? An EEG may help determine if there is any problem with he brain activity. If the present medications are not working, stronger medications may be indicated. Ask a second opinion also from a specialist if the symptoms also persist. Take care and hope to hear from you soon.