Migraines & Headaches Community
Can cervical nerve being pinched cause severe and violent vomiting?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I have severe cervical herniations with neuropathy since my 2005 car accident and recently I am being re sent to physical therapy because my neck muscles are hypertensive, so last night my therapist massage directly under my head on my neck and I was fine until 6am this morning. I woke up with a throbbing pain in the back of my head and violently vomited for hours until the doctor came to my house and gave me a shot of toradol. Even though this has only happened to me three times since my accident, it is still very scary, especially when there is no more food in my system and I am throwing up blood. Most of the nerves in my neck were treated with ablasions, could it have worn off? Also, what nerve is it that would cause vomiting? How can I avoid this in the future?
Usually vomiting is triggered by severe pain, not any one specific nerve. The area that controls vomiting is in your brain, sometimes intracranial pressure can trigger severe bouts of vomiting, did you have any headache when this happened previously? Ask your doctor for an mri of your brain to rule out anything that could cause pressure if this keeps happening.  However there are nerves that allow you to vomit and can be damaged. Usually when there is a problem with these cranial nerves, swallowing can be impaired or an absence of gag reflex.   Hope this helps, wish you luck and hope this doesn't happen to you again.  Stacey
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? There are many possible causes of vomiting and may include viral infections, medications,  motion sickness, migraine headaches, food allergies, and even brain tumors. It is important to stay hydrated with water and electrolyte solutions. There are plenty of possible pathways also that triggers vomiting such as the cranial nerve X (vagus nerve), vestibular system, vagal and enteric nervous system. There are certain medications that may help with vomiting. Talk to your doctor about this for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.
I am 67 year old female and I have frequent, severe bouts of nausea and vomiting. I recently spent 4 days at a great medical facility who have a wonderful group of GI specialist. This has been happening several year and they have checked and repeated negative GI test. I am now in process of seeing a Neurologists w/ much lab work and a Brain MRI. I have had a tic that gets worse and a CNS Tremor where my head shakes. I too, am wandering if there is a connection? Sometimes my hands shake also. The nausea begins in the same place in my stomach, just under my right rib cage. I can't eat and will have to stay in bed, I cannot connect it to any food. I used to have severe Migraines and would vomit like this. Though I feel goofy in my head the migraine pain isn't there. This happens every 2-6 weeks. The nausea is so debilitating, I am ready for an answer. Though I do not have cramping and Diarrhea, I do have a frequent increase in my BM's as I did with the Migraines. Then the headaches began first, now it's the nausea and vomiting.  
Bunny, I think it is connected, also, you may want to look up CVS - Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. You have all of the symptoms and I am 95% sure this is what you have. The reason I looked up nerves and vomiting is because, I have CVS and think that there is a nerve connection, something is going on for my nerves to cause an autoimmune attack as if I have a disease, but I do not.