Migraines & Headaches Community
Carbon Monoxide

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Carbon Monoxide

Hi im an 18 yr old guy and yesterday at work i was exposed to carbon monoxide for over 4 hours without knowing it. I devoloped a massive headache, dizzyness, and some nausea. I went home and took some advil, not knowing it was carbon monoxide. Today i was told by my boss that it was carbon monoxide and now me and my mom are very nervous since I was exposed to it for such a long time without getting help. What, if anything should I do?
Hi.

Your symptoms could indeed suggest carbon monoxide poisoning as a probable cause.

Are you still experiencing the symptoms now? If you are, it would be highly advisable to consult a doctor immediately and have a blood test done to determine or rule out carbon monoxide poisoning.

Treatment of this condition, and is currently the most effective, is done with oxygen therapy. Two types of this kind of therapy can be done and they are: 100% oxygen is given through a tight fitting mask or hyperbaric oxygen therapy where oxygen is delivered in a full-body chamber for faster removal of carbon dioxide in the blood.

Consult a physician now. Good luck.
No, I dont still have the symptoms but that was the worst headache ive ever had in my life, so once we found out it was carbon monoxide we were quite nervous because I was exposed to it for a long time. Even though I no longer have the syptoms (symptoms) am I good to go or should I go see a doctor?
Hi.

It is good to learn that you no longer suffer from the symptoms of exposure to carbon monoxide, as it is a very dangerous gas and can be lethal.

Since it was only one instance and it seems that your symptoms may have resolved completely, a visit to the doctor can be put on hold. However, it is essential to observe or monitor for any symptoms that might appear in the month that follows that could point to any residual effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. Also, try to avoid getting exposed to this dangerous gas again.

Hope this helps.