Hi im an 18 yr old guy and yesterday at work i was exposed to carbon monoxide for over 4 hours without knowing it. I devoloped a massive headache, dizzyness, and some nausea. I went home and took some advil, not knowing it was carbon monoxide. Today i was told by my boss that it was carbon monoxide and now me and my mom are very nervous since I was exposed to it for such a long time without getting help. What, if anything should I do?
Your symptoms could indeed suggest carbon monoxide poisoning as a probable cause.
Are you still experiencing the symptoms now? If you are, it would be highly advisable to consult a doctor immediately and have a blood test done to determine or rule out carbon monoxide poisoning.
Treatment of this condition, and is currently the most effective, is done with oxygen therapy. Two types of this kind of therapy can be done and they are: 100% oxygen is given through a tight fitting mask or hyperbaric oxygen therapy where oxygen is delivered in a full-body chamber for faster removal of carbon dioxide in the blood.
No, I dont still have the symptoms but that was the worst headache ive ever had in my life, so once we found out it was carbon monoxide we were quite nervous because I was exposed to it for a long time. Even though I no longer have the syptoms am I good to go or should I go see a doctor?
It is good to learn that you no longer suffer from the symptoms of exposure to carbon monoxide, as it is a very dangerous gas and can be lethal.
Since it was only one instance and it seems that your symptoms may have resolved completely, a visit to the doctor can be put on hold. However, it is essential to observe or monitor for any symptoms that might appear in the month that follows that could point to any residual effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. Also, try to avoid getting exposed to this dangerous gas again.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.