Migraines & Headaches Community
Cavernous Hemangioma of White Matter-Occipital region

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I have had a headache off and on for two weeks now...I do have a Cav Heman that was diagnosed via MRI 4 years ago and my follow up MRI was this last Fall 2007...I have no symptoms, but when I get a headache like this it worries me...I dont get headaches as a rule...this makes all the muscles on and around my head SORE and it feels like a rod is stuck up my neck...no hot or cold or massage helps for more than one hour...

Has anyone had this type of headache come on and last this long?

The neurologist said the chance of a bleed is less than 1% a year and when and if it DOES bleed he said the headache and/or seizure will definitely send me to the ER...so I guess I do nothing??
I had a cavernous angioma too. In the right frontal lobe. I was having brain bleeds from it. My father had one also in the same place as mine and died from it. I am not trying to scare you, but you need to be followed by a neurologist. These are hereditary. When mine was discovered I had just started having headaches for a few months. Then it was found on an MRI. A month later I had a bleed. I was put in ICU and it stopped on it's own. The doctor that found it told me some people are born with these things, and it couldn't hurt me. Come to find out he was wrong. Some people have them and never have a problem, some do. If you smoke you are more likely to have a bleed. If you have a horrible headache don't play get to the ER. Also I had to go to the ER one time while having a brain bleed & the doctor looked at my CT and asked if I took cocaine. He thought I was having a bleed from cocaine use. It looks like a white spot on a CT scan. When I told him that I had a cavernous angiomaI he felt bad and began to treat me for the problem. I had 5-6 small bleeds before I decided to have the surgery. I was lucky. I was scared to have the surgery, it was in a very bad place in my brain and my children were small. I waited almost 5 years for technology to get better and it did. Good luck, and don't let a severe headache go unchecked.