Migraines & Headaches Community
Cerebellar Volume Loss, what is it?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Cerebellar Volume Loss, what is it?

What is cerebellar volume loss? My husbands CT came back with this and we're waiting on appointments with a Neurologist and an MRI but until then, I'd like ANY information on what this is? Is it a brain cancer? Can it be reversed? I'm scared and can't find anything on the internet on this. I just find info on Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Schizophrenia, etc. Can anyone help?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Are there symptoms present?  This can be associated with cerebellar degeneration where in it is  a process in which neurons in the cerebellum deteriorate and die. Cerebellar degeneration may be the result of inherited genetic mutations, part of aging, and from other associated neurological diseases.  The most characteristic symptom of cerebellar degeneration is a wide-based, unsteady, lurching walk, often accompanied by a back and forth tremor in the trunk of the body. It is best that you discuss the results of your husband's CT scan with his attending physician for proper evaluation. Your husband's symptoms and medical history are  important.Take care and do keep us posted.  
Thank you Rowena. He gets headaches behind his right eye, that is why we got the CT. We have discussed it with our family physician, she is booking him in to see a Neurologist and also for an MRI. The only thing it says about his condition in the CT is ' Main differential would be chronic alcohol use (most commonly), certain medications (antizeizure medications), paraneoplastic syndroms (syndromes) and certain movement disorders..'

My husband doesn't drink much so it's not that. He has no other symptoms other than the headaches now and then. What little we have found on the internet, he has none of the symptoms at all associated with this. The only medication he takes other than herbs and vitamins, such as calcium, MSM and Condrotin/Glucosamin/MSM mix (for tennis elbow), Ginkgo, Magnesium, etc., is Synthroid as he's his thryoid emoved on the left side.

We're just trying to find out as much as possible but what little information we are finding isn't telling us much. I'd like to know, espcially once the other two appointments are done, is there something he can do to reverse it?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for the update. How is your husband's headaches? The MRI and Neuro referral would be very helpful in determining the cause of the headaches and the reason for the MRI result. I understand how it is to be in the position you are in right now, but the management plan and whether reversal can occur will depend on the results of further tests. It is best to do the MRI and discuss the results with the Neurologist. Hang on and stay positive. Do keep us posted with the MRI results. Take care always.
MRI is booked for March 17th and Neurologist booked for the March 21st. Bob's headaches are the same, intermittent and not often. We are both staying positive. Especially seeing as though we still can't find out anything about what is cerebellar volume loss anywhere. We'll have to wait for an explaination from the Neurologist and not worry about it until then. Thanks for your comments, I'll post an update once I have further information/diagnosis.