Migraines & Headaches Community
Chronic Headaches and dizzy spells

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Chronic Headaches and dizzy spells

Hi, I am a 19 year old female.  I have been starting to get chronic headaches and dizzy spells.  The headaches feel like someone is putting on the area right above the neck and the end of the cranium in the back of my head.  I think I recently found lump on my head that was not there before, the pressure mainly located underneath that lump as well.  In addition to these headaches, I have also been getting dizzy spells and periods of lightheadedness throughout the day and whenever I dance.  I am wondering if this is normal.  I am anemic and have been for some time but I have never gotten these headaches and dizziness before.  Thank you!
Hiya,

It may be that your getting migraines, but it may be that you've done something to the muscles in your kneck. If you feel a lump, get your doctor to look at it, if its just a not in the muscle then that can be helped easily by physio or massage, if not then it could be something more serious.
Keep updated :)
Avatar_dr_f_tn

You have mentioned of a lump in the area where you feel the pain. Would you have any idea which came first, the lump or the pain?

At this point, let us focus on the lump. I suggest that you have this assessed by your primary physician for any redness, warmth, and discoloration. A complete physical examination will also be able to help rule out an underlying skin or musculoskeletal disorder. Migraine headaches and tension headaches are given as a diagnosis only when other causes of the headaches have been ruled out.

Do you have any other lumps in other parts of the body?

thank you for your opinions!  i don't really touch my head that much, so i only found the lump recently but the dizzy spells have been for quite a while now.  i talked to my doctor around two years ago because the headaches would occur when i have to use my jaw alot, like chew certain foods and he just gave me pills saying that something around my medulla oblongata region might be inflamed, i don't quite remember.  but to Vanessa, no i do not have any other lumps on my body.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This lump may be a focus of the headaches or it may be a separate condition for all we know. So I still suggest that you have this lump evaluated just to rule out the possibility that this is indeed directly causing the headaches.

Also, you have noted that the headaches appear to be aggravated by chewing. This may suggest that a TMJ problem may be present or an underlying ear condition or dental condition may be present .Have you been assessed along this line?
thank you for your response.  If you don't mind, would you explain to me what a TMJ is?  and i do not have any ear or dental condition at this moment, or none that i know of.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

What I meant by TMJ is a dislocated temporomandibular joint .This is the joint that attaches the jaw to the cranium (bones that encase the brain). A dislocated or inflammed TMJ may  cause pain in the area. This is something that you may also want to look into since you have also noted that pain may be induced when moving the jaw.

This may be associated with a "click" or pain when one is asked to open the jaw. Does this apply in your case?