Migraines & Headaches Community
Confusional Migraine

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Confusional Migraine

My mother and I both suffer from intense Migraines. But this scared me to no end.  She went to bed with a migraine one night and I was contacted at school (I walked to my school) that my mother was in the hospital. My ex-Step dad had found that she was having memory problems, she was wondering where I was and where my little sister was, she would repeat questions over and over again. She was fine later that day but could not remember certain events that had happened a week ago. I was in sixth grade.

Nearly a year later, I was in middle school (I needed a ride to school) and came up the stairs and found my mother on the couch.  I was late and called out to her. She 'mmed?' and I let her know that we need to go, and got no response. I called out again and got another 'hmm' and once again let her know that we needed to leave and got another 'hmm'. This went on for a long time and I finally got my ex-Step dad and he took her to the hospital. This time her recovery took a week.  There where times when she would not recognise me, or think that I was still little, or that she was still with my dad, times when I did not exist yet. I helped feed her and tried to answer her questions, I was usually the only one in her room so I did not know how to deal with it.

The good memory I have about that time was the nurses helping me with my health homework.

So after all that, (sorry) what exactly happened, how can I make sure it does not happen again?

I get scared every time my mom gets a migraine.
Confusional migraines are very difficult to deal with or predict. They're caused by a lack of blood flow to a certain part of the brain. (I forget which part,  but I'm sure you can look it up). Any migraine is caused by the excessive or lack of blood flow to the brain, due to the seizing of blood vessels, as well as chemical imbalances in the brain.

I get confusional migraines sometimes, and it's very scary for me, and for my mom who cares for me. I really can't put two thoughts together. I usually get confusional migraines during a basilar migraine, where the main blood vessel to the brain (the basil artery) is the one seizing. Basilar migraines can be very disabling because it means that all four part of the brain can/are effected at the same time.

If you're really concerned about your mom's confusional migraines, maybe you and she should go see a neurologist, and discuss things more in depth with somebody who knows more details than I can give you.

It's understandable to be scared, but it's best that you do something with that fear, like seeking information, and getting your mom help. Good luck to you both,

~Dame

~Dame