Migraines & Headaches Community
Constant Headaches/Tight Muscles

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Constant Headaches/Tight Muscles

Hi.  I have a few questions about headaches.

I wake up with headaches daily, which really isn't anything new for me, but I have had some issues with my muscles being extremely tense.  Normally, this is common for my back/neck area, but the top of my head is so tight that it's causing pain on my forehead and jaw as well.

A little background info:
I'm 36, 5'3", 185 lbs.  I have weighed as much as 232 lbs and as little as 101 lbs within 4 yrs time.  

I have chronic back/neck pain.  I have been in a few auto accidents that I think have contributed to my pain.

I have a history of migraines, and have found that if I take Maxalt, it will cure every one of my headaches, even nonmigraine ones (it's way too expensive for that, though).

I take OTC pain killers constantly, daily.

I have a history of addiction/abuse with prescription painkillers, so that is not an option for me.

I have been to many different chiropractors, many times, and have yet to found anyone that helps.

I take meds for anxiety/depression/OCD.

Any ideas on how to reduce this tension in my head muscles?  
Have you had your blood pressure checked?  Severe top of the head pain, tightness there can be a sign of high blood pressure.  With your weight according to your height you may want to check that out.
If you are taking OTC pain killers on a daily basis you should be very cautious for these can cause liver damage over a period of time.
I am glad you are aware of your compulsive/addictive behavior and do not want to fall back into that..you are to be congratulated on your step in the right direction on overcoming that.
First check the bp, then also change your pillow to another size, perhaps get a warm cloth when you get a headache and lay across your forehead and see if that will relax you.  Try thinking of anything other than the pain at the time and work at relaxing your toes, then calves, then knees, on up...some have told me that helps and I actually have tried it and it works for some odd reason.
Good Luck
Hi.

It would appear that you may be suffering from tension headaches which are causing the symptoms of headache and tension of the muscles at the back of the head. However, other conditions, such as hypertension, that could possibly be related to the symptoms, cannot be ruled out.

Aside from the normally given medications, some treatment modalities include living a healthy lifestyle, managing stress (deep breathing, biofeedback, behavior therapy), and muscle relaxation (heat or cold pack for sore muscles).

You should ask your physician for any other activities or non-medical treatment that would be helpful in your case.

Hope this helps.