Migraines & Headaches Community
Coughing and Head Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Coughing and Head Pain

I have had a cold with continual coughing for several weeks.  About one week ago, pain started on the top left
side of my head.  It comes and goes.  Could the continual coughing be the cause of this pain?  
Welcome to the forum!
Well in case of chronic sinusitis coughing can start a headache, especially if the sinuses are full of secretions. Take steam and do deep breathing exercises and see if this eases the pain. If it does, consult an ENT for further treatment.
The other possibility is benign intracranial hypertension. This happens due to impaired CSF absorption. A generalized throbbing headache worst felt in the morning and last thing at night. This headache is generally relieved on standing (consistent with raised intracranial pressure). It is aggravated by straining, coughing or a change in position. However, often other symptoms such as visual defects are present. A neurologist can diagnose this for you.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!