Migraines & Headaches Community
"Cracking" neck = awful headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

"Cracking" neck = awful headache

Sometimes I get an urge to "crack" my neck, by moving it back and forward and side to side.  After I move it to the side far enough, it makes a popping sound and I feel relief for a while, but then hours later I will start to get a headache that gets worse and worse until I just have to shut down and try to sleep. It's too painful to do anything.  The last time it happened, it was a throbbing pain on only the right side of my head, especially behind my eye.  Obviously if something hurts, I should refrain from doing it, but the disconnect between the action and the result means I don't think of it sometimes.  Is this normal?  What causes it?
Tags: Headache, Neck
Hello Dear,
You should consult a neurologist and get  MRI done as there could be several causes of your pain like,.migraine,degenerative spine changes,neuropathy,nerve compression etc.You should go for a evaluation and get the diagnosis confirmed.Neck exercises will help you.
Best

Cracking of neck helps relieve tension and pressure, therefore many people do it. But if you do it too hard you can actually end up injuring your neck.
Since cracking is giving you bad headaches it means you are not doing it right. I would advise you to stop doing it completely. As suggested you can do some neck exercises instead.
I have the EXACT same problem!  Have been diagnosed with migraines but the correlation of cracking my neck then having a wretched headache (with migraine attributes--which yours sounds like as well--bilateral/suborbital pain) is just too odd AND Yet occurs too regularly to be coincidence!!!  Have you found a solution and/or come across any medical literature that explains a link btw the two?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Pain at the back of head or neck  that intensifies on movement may be caused by inflammation of the blood vessels of the head or bony changes in the structures of the neck. The cause of pain is unknown. Over-the-counter pain medications such as anti-inflammatory drugs or  muscle relaxants may help provide relief. Try to avoid the trigger. If it persists, have this evaluated by your doctor for proper management. Take care and regards.
I would consult a doctor as well first get a full x-ray and a MRI. I have the same problem with my headaches but it was due to a old neck/spine injury I had when i was 17 but surgery will fix it but 50/50 chance i could be paralyzed from it. My best solution is taking a hot shower and let the water hit your neck for about 5 minutes then crack it. Once your done with that the headache should go away or a hot pad on the back of your neck for about 30 minutes and don't crack your neck then the headache should go away.