Migraines & Headaches Community
Daily headaches for weeks

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Daily headaches for weeks

For the last 2-3 weeks I have been having awful headaches.  My dentist thinks it might be TMJ, so she fitted me for a splint (which I get next week), but advised me to see an MD to rule out other possible causes, which I did.  He does not believe it is TMJ because it is not concentrated around my jaw.  Rather it hurts ALL over from my jaw, temples, sides of my head, forehead, neck, and sometimes shoulders.  The MRI came back completely normal.  My headache does not respond to Imitrex, Celebrex, or Advil.  It does seem to be somewhat alleviated by chewing gum, which seems really strange to me.  He has suggested I see a neurologist.  I'm wondering if it might be environmental...

Any theories?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi.
How are you? TMJ headaches usually present with  muscle-contraction type of pain, sometimes accompanied by a painful "clicking" sound on opening the jaw. With the normal results on your MRI, you may indeed benefit from further evaluation by a neurologist to rule out other neurological issues. A headache journal may also help identify possible triggers, such as environmental or work-related, that you could avoid. If your present medications are not helping, stronger prescription medications may be indicated. Inform your doctor about this for proper management.  Take care and do keep us posted.  
I visisted a neurologist who concluded that I have migraines.  I questioned the diagnosis, as the pain is on both sides of my head, I am not lying in bed in a dark room, and it has lasted for weeks! His response, "Your MRI is normal, what else could it be?" He did give me 600mg of IBP to take every 6 hours, which I did for 48 hours, with little results.  The only thing that seems to alleviate the pain is very very light exercise, like walking, leisurely bike riding, or yoga.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for the update. Indeed, with a normal MRI result, the diagnosis of primary headaches such as migraine increases. If the medications prescribed are not working, you my need to inform your doctor for proper management. You can also ask for another doctor's opinion to ease any anxiety in the diagnosis.  There are many migraine variants today and it is best that you discuss the specific type of migraine with your doctor. Both abortive and preventive medications may help. Take care and best regards.