Migraines & Headaches Community
Depakote withdrawal systems

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Depakote withdrawal systems

I have been on Depakote for migraine prevention for at least 10 years.  For 2 years I have decreased it to 1 every day.  I am now trying to get off of it and am taking it every other day.  I am getting muscular spasms in my neck, very painful. Could the witdrawal of Depakote be the problem?
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there,
Usually Depakote withdrawal does not lead to any symptoms. Some symptoms observed are tremors, dizziness, depression, irritability and anxiety. I sincerely hope that you have been tapering the doses of Depakote under a doctor’s advice. Tapering or withdrawal of any drug depends on many factors like current dosage, the replacement drug and the general condition of the patient. If the muscular spasms are severe and persistent consult your doctor. Do keep me posted.
Best of luck and regards!