Migraines & Headaches Community
Diagnosed Migraines WITHOUT ANY RELIEF

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Diagnosed Migraines WITHOUT ANY RELIEF

I am a 25 year old female, have two daughters, the first at age 20 and second at age 23. My migraines started shortly after I had my first child. My migraines were very severe when taking oral contraceptives, but when I stopped taking them they got less severe. Almost all episode come with nausea and about 50% of times vomiting. The migraines are throbbing, very severe and coming instantly, not gradually. I am very sensitive to light, smell and noise when I have an episode, and my eye and area of the eye hurts on the side of the migraine. After my second child was born the migraines got more frequent, about 1-2 times a week sometimes lasted 2-3 days, the longest lasted 10 days. For years the migraines where untreated due to no medical insurance, recently I got enrolled in a good health plan through my employer.... so I went to my doc. They did a CT scan without contrast, but that was negative. No MRI. Then I got referred to a Neurologist Who put me on Topamax, which got the migraines less frequent but not as expected, now I am down to about 3 times a month. It still feels a lot because they last for days and they come on suddenly. I have two young kids and I am unable to take care of anything during these episodes. I have to isolate myself from everything for hours, sometimes for all day.
The Neu doc did not send me to do an MRI which I feel she should have done that, I don't know if there is a difference in getting any results from an MRI that a CT cannot pick up... She just told me to take the Topamax 50mg 2 times a day and when I have an episode she gave me Imitrex shots (which does not help at all, and costs a lot) and gave me heavy pain pills to take. I cannot drive with these pills so I am not able to work.
I feel these migraines are effecting my work, my private life and it is very depressing...
Sometimes I feel I should look for another doctor, who may be able to help me get rid of my migraines, or at least help me have fewer... I have tried everything.. eating right, getting in a little exercise in my life... I do not drink or smoke at all and no caffeine at all!!!
I did not mention earlier that I do have fainting spells here and there, and before my episodes my hands and feet swell up so I can't wear my wedding ring at all...
do you think I should consult with another doc and get and MRI? I got blood work done too before they said that was fine...

Abnormal tissues are visualized quite well in a CT scan an MRI will not give any different results in your case since you have migraine.
Is there anything which triggers these attacks?
I would suggest you to start magnesium supplements as magnesium has been found to be very effective in controlling migraine.
Biofeedback therapy has also shown good results.
Lying in a quiet dark room, use of cold compresses, neck massage, breathing exercises also help.
These breathing exercises will bring the migraine under control and after 4 months you may not need any medicine, but continue the exercises once a day for life.
You need to help your body to build up your immune system.The breathing exercises - pranayam is a holistic approach creating extra oxygen supply in the body and will slowly help with the health problem.Do the pranayam to see the benefits.Build up your timing slowly and after two weeks at the suggested duration you will start to notice benefits.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose.Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for upto 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom - Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 10 times
----
Only by doing you will benefit and will feel good that you can do something to help the body.Copy and print this to master the technique.This is  simplified pranayam for everyone and you do not have to go to classes to learn. This is for life unlike short term classes where you do it in the class then stop when classes are over.
hi , ive have the same problems as you . i took topmax with no relief. my headaches last for days . the doctors would just blow me off. have you been to a migraine speacilist? they are the only doctors that took me serious. now i take zomeg 5 milgrams nasile spray, i know it dont sound like much  but it takes the pain away within 15min . i dont have to go to the er for my bad headaches anymore.the only bad thing is if you have heart problems you cant take it. ask your doctor for a sample and see if it helps.